Aaron Freaking Rodgers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004" wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
30 Mar 2021 08:59
For a team who already lived through the Favre Rodgers fiasco, seems like we are just inflicting that drama on ourselves again for reasons I don’t agree with.
[/b]
Ah well. I can still route for all packers, Rodgers and Love, and still not like the 2020 draft at all.
exactly, we have given ourselves an artificial cut off to having one of the leagues best QBs. Whats the rush to look beyond him after two years? Who set that deadline? We should beg him to stay until he just cant play anymore. He is no where near that point tho, he just won mvp.
Have you considered how well the Favre-Rodgers "fiasco" worked for the team and how it set the franchise up for another decade and a half of success and maybe the "drama" aspect of it is all you fans complaining and making it out to be some big move aimed at disemboweling Rodgers' legacy and the drama is NOT on the part of the front office following their best practices to continue enduring success?

Has it occurred to any of you that when you look at the very very short list of starting QBs who were benched to start their careers that very short list contains Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, and Rivers and MAYBE it's an actually useful development?

If you don't like the "drama" around the pick, that's on you to accept it and keep quiet about it. The only "drama" created around these QB situations are the pessimistic unruly fans screaming at the front office for taking a fairly smart risk. This is like that woman who writes she hates drama in her dating profile. You know, instantly, her life is drama. He who smelt it dealt it.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:11
BF004" wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
30 Mar 2021 08:59
For a team who already lived through the Favre Rodgers fiasco, seems like we are just inflicting that drama on ourselves again for reasons I don’t agree with.
[/b]
Ah well. I can still route for all packers, Rodgers and Love, and still not like the 2020 draft at all.
exactly, we have given ourselves an artificial cut off to having one of the leagues best QBs. Whats the rush to look beyond him after two years? Who set that deadline? We should beg him to stay until he just cant play anymore. He is no where near that point tho, he just won mvp.
Have you considered how well the Favre-Rodgers "fiasco" worked for the team and how it set the franchise up for another decade and a half of success and maybe the "drama" aspect of it is all you fans complaining and making it out to be some big move aimed at disemboweling Rodgers' legacy and the drama is NOT on the part of the front office following their best practices to continue enduring success?

Has it occurred to any of you that when you look at the very very short list of starting QBs who were benched to start their careers that very short list contains Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, and Rivers and MAYBE it's an actually useful development?

If you don't like the "drama" around the pick, that's on you to accept it and keep quiet about it. The only "drama" created around these QB situations are the pessimistic unruly fans screaming at the front office for taking a fairly smart risk. This is like that woman who writes she hates drama in her dating profile. You know, instantly, her life is drama. He who smelt it dealt it.
You seem to be harping on drama. I am not. I am objectively pointing out that the team seems to be forcing itself into a decision point after this season or the next, at the cost of opening up cap space now to go after more FAs while we still have the QB. The QB just won the MVP, why prepare someone to take over now at the cost of a first round and fourth round pick that could help the team on the field?

You seem to think this is all about drama, i am discussing how it is hurting the Packers chances to win now and how planning to get rid of the HOF qb after two years is something not necessary yet. You can disagree, but the source of it from me is not palace intrigue
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The reason why I was ultimately okay with the Love pick is because I don't think enough appreciation is given on how hard it is to get a quarterback when you need one.

Last year quarterbacks were not in demand and we had an opportunity at what management thought was a high end quarterback. I have heard that Love would be considered a top end quarterback in this draft too and look at the resources teams like the 9ers had to give up to get one. All we had to give up was a low end 1st and a 4th.

So when one is available, you take it.

I understand the frustration of timing. I get that a lot. The timing was not good. The best timing is honestly probably the 2022 draft. But we also can't guarantee a quarterback will be available in the 2022 draft.

That's why the Packers pulled the trigger from my perspective. They thought they had an opportunity at a guy that the Packers shouldn't have had an opportunity at.

Also keep in mind that Gute really like Kizer. So there is also that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:28
YoHoChecko wrote:
BF004" wrote:

You seem to be harping on drama. I am not. I am objectively pointing out that the team seems to be forcing itself into a decision point after this season or the next, at the cost of opening up cap space now to go after more FAs while we still have the QB. The QB just won the MVP, why prepare someone to take over now at the cost of a first round and fourth round pick that could help the team on the field?

You seem to think this is all about drama, i am discussing how it is hurting the Packers chances to win now and how planning to get rid of the HOF qb after two years is something not necessary yet. You can disagree, but the source of it from me is not palace intrigue
exactly, it's surely not as though we couldn't have used a much better Ervin or Auston in that Tampa game when our only receiver to get open with any consistency was Adams, it's funny when some one blames him for dropping one of his 11 targets when he caught about 9 of em and the other receivers dropped 1 or 2 out of maybe 5 targets each.

Yoho: we all get your point, thing is some of us still don't agree with taking a QB when we had other needs and Rodgers still has so much gas left in the tank.
Last edited by Yoop on 30 Mar 2021 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:45
Drj820 wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:28
YoHoChecko wrote:

exactly, it's surely not as though we couldn't have used a much better Ervin or Auston in that Tampa game when our only receiver to get open with any consistency was Adams, it's funny when some one blames him for dropping one of his 11 targets when he caught about 9 of em and the other receivers dropped 1 or 2 out of maybe 5 targets each.

Yoho: we all get your point, thing is some of us still don't agree with it, no need to get all nerdy here.
Yeah its really not about palace intrigue. The strategy is hurting the team.

Its also not really the same situation as Favre-Rodgers. Rodgers fell into the Packer lap and Favre had already teased retirement.

We traded UP to get Love while Rodgers was saying he wanted to play into his 40s.

This isnt 15 years ago, great QBs sit for one year max, not 3 anymore. For Gutey to feel he can use the Favre-Rodgers transition and orchestrate another seamless on field transition is arrogant. Love couldnt even beat out Boyle in year one. This is no budding prodigy.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:43
The reason why I was ultimately okay with the Love pick is because I don't think enough appreciation is given on how hard it is to get a quarterback when you need one.

Last year quarterbacks were not in demand and we had an opportunity at what management thought was a high end quarterback. I have heard that Love would be considered a top end quarterback in this draft too and look at the resources teams like the 9ers had to give up to get one. All we had to give up was a low end 1st and a 4th.

I understand the frustration of timing. I get that a lot. The timing was not good. The best timing is honestly probably the 2022 draft. But we also can't guarantee a quarterback will be available in the 2022 draft.

That's why the Packers pulled the trigger from my perspective. They thought they had an opportunity at a guy that the Packers shouldn't have had an opportunity at.

again I disagree, Love was rated by some as a High 2nd rounder, and there are QB's in this draft rated right there where he was, to me this doesn't mean a whole lot as top 5 pick QB's bust just as much as high 2nd rounders, typically the top 5 guys are thought of as needing less coaching up, to me though they all need at least a year of tutoring.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:50
go pak go wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:43

again I disagree, Love was rated by some as a High 2nd rounder, and there are QB's in this draft rated right there where he was, to me this doesn't mean a whole lot as top 5 pick QB's bust just as much as high 2nd rounders, typically the top 5 guys are thought of as needing less coaching up, to me though they all need at least a year of tutoring.
That's the beauty of sports isn't it yoop? You can disagree. Someone else can disagree. But this is at least what former NFL Exec Marc Ross said in February. And again is why I am saying I can see why the Packers pulled the trigger last year even if it did appear "early".
“You have the top two (Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence and BYU’s Zach Wilson),” Ross told Mark Eckel of Packer Report. “I would put Love right behind those two.”

No, Ross didn’t forget about some of the other projected first-round quarterbacks, including Ohio State’s Fields (“a little too robotic”), North Dakota State’s Trey Lance (“more of a project”) or Alabama’s Mac Jones (“more of a system quarterback.”) He still just genuinely prefers Love — who didn’t play a down in his rookie year for the Packers — over most of this year’s top quarterback prospects.

“Yeah, I think he will be better than all of those guys,” Ross told Eckel.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:50
This isnt 15 years ago, great QBs sit for one year max, not 3 anymore. For Gutey to feel he can use the Favre-Rodgers transition and orchestrate another seamless on field transition is arrogant. Love couldnt even beat out Boyle in year one. This is no budding prodigy.
QBs didn't sit for 3 years 15 years ago either. The Packers did something smart and different and it worked.

Developing a QB through practice and meeting rooms and technique refinement over a longer period of time while they are not creating muscle memory for bad habits at NFL speed. It helps them continue to elevate their game rather than performing at a high level and plateauing. It is VERY clearly the best way to go about it. Other teams go about it differently because they feel forced into it. I'm so sick of this debate. Like I'm sorry but Peyton manning and Russell Wilson are basically the only counter examples to balance out Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Mahomes, and Brady. You want to have a hall of fame QB? Teach them how to play from the bench first. Massively enhances your odds.

The team wasn't hurt by drafting Love. You can play pretend counter examples all you want of how the NFCCG might have looked with Michael Pittman on the team or Patrick Queen on the team, but you're just guessing. The team we put on the field was talented enough to win and didn't execute. No draft pick would have mitigated losing Bakhtiari to an ACL injury. No draft pick would have necessarily been a better red zone option for the chances Rodgers totally whiffed on down there. And no draft pick that we likely would have made would have helped Kevin King try to cover anyone.

The Patriots are the only team in the NFL who have been more successful than the Packers over the long run--and yes they've been much more successful.

But having Drew Brees didn't help the Saints win more Super Bowls. Having Philip Rivers didn't get the Chargers to the Super Bowl. Having Peyton Manning for 16 years didn't deliver more than one Super Bowl to the Colts. Having Russell Wilson has only led to one Super Bowl win for the Seahawks. Having HoF QBs doesn't entitle you to Super Bowl championships. The sooner this fan base understands that the sooner we can stop trying to grasp for individual excuses as to why we haven't won more. Drafting Jordan Love didn't hold us back last season at all. And there is literally no argument about the NFCCG that can indicate that he did. Unless you were planning on drafting a CB, but Jeff Gladney and Noah Igbinoghene probably didn't play well enough as rookies to think that would help, either. Maybe an OT in that range of the draft like Isaiah Wilson... oh wait. Not him, specifically though.

Move on. There's a draft coming up. There's a new offseason program. There's a 13-3 team bringing back 21 or 22 starters. Try to move on and work with the reality we have instead of making things up to be mad about.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

And to be clear, my point is not that you have to agree with the Love pick. I didn't even like it!

The point is that there IS a plan, it's NOT confusing, it DIDN'T cost us the NFCCG, and it should be a LOT easier for fans and analysts to understand and move on than it clearly has been.

That's it. That's the point. There CERTAINLY are other directions we could go or reasons not to like it. But there is NO reason to dwell on it and act as if it cost us some grand opportunity.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

That’s where I think you are wrong tho. I came to Aaron Rodgers thread to discuss Aaron Rodgers future. The team has put some mystical decision point on his time here, when he just won an MVP. The decision impacts far more than just last year. It impacts the team now as we did not extend the MVPs contract to be able to free up cap space to get more players. The artificial decision time is affecting everything that happens this off-season. So it isn’t so irrelevant, and this is a fine place to discuss it..in the Aaron Rodgers thread.

I think the team should see they thought he might be done, but he’s actually still the MVP, and look to keep Rodgers as long as he can still play. If they make that the plan they can extend his deal or restructure it so they can try to buy better players right now that will help the team win a super bowl while Rodgers is still one of the best in the league.

Worthy discussion to me, if you don’t want to have it..there are many other threads. But the idea that drafting love only affected last season is not accurate.

the packers should consider recalculating after the qb they wanted to replace Just won an MVP and says he wants to play into his 40s. This is a qb friendly system. He can survive. Packers should be thrilled about that in my opinion

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I love discussing Aaron Rodgers' future. His future is that he is the Packers starting QB in 2021, as he was in 2020.

He will almost definitely remain the packers starter in 2022.

So we have two seasons left in which there is little need for discussion or angst about Rodgers' future. We've become preoccupied with whether or not his contract is adjusted because it could free up space for a free agent... but we haven't found a free agent yet!

I promise, a year from now, I'll be like "ok, let's discuss whether or not Rodgers is coming back for 2022. Almost definitely, the answer will be "yes" and not much more needs to be figured out. And throughout the 2022 season, I will DEFINITELY be down for talk about what to do with Love/Rodgers for 2023.

But to me there seems to be a LOT of conversation about whether we will have Rodgers in 2023 and 2024 and beyond, and I genuinely do not understand why. Yeah. he just won MVP. Maybe he'll be MVP in 2022, also. Maybe he'll be wanting to retire have have little Shailene babies. Maybe his deep balls will flutter and his completion percentage will disintegrate.

But that's an evaluation on his playing ability two seasons from now.

So why are we so concerned about it right now? Drafting Love seems to have made everyone think of this as a pressing issue but rookie contracts last 4 years and we're nowhere near the time when the relevant conversation topics about Rodgers involve 2023. He's an MVP with a high-pick backup and so the position is more or less set for a couple years.

The thread is about how amazing he is. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about how we think he'll improve or revert to the mean in 2022. Let's talk about what he needs to succeed and what he could improve on or where his performances might be difficult to repeat.

But why on earth are we talking about 2023 and his backup?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I guess if I am the Packers, I don't understand why we would want to lengthen Aaron's contract to "free up space this year" and then be stuck with Rodgers 2023 - 2025/2026 when we are cap strapped because of "going all in" for 21/22 and have a quarterback who will likely be on the decline.

I can't say there were any free agents, outside of Kyle Fuller, that I am just like "Man....we missed a HUGE opportunity".

My top three FA's were Watt, Fuller and Peterson.

Watt went way out of our desired price range. Didn't make sense. I am fine with that.

Fuller is a player I think would have been perfect for us. He goes to Denver. Don't know if we ever had a chance with him.

Peterson went higher than I thought. It is a one year deal that is somewhat expensive. I am on the fence about him. He likely could have been a good vet to have but he also has seen decline in play the last year or two.

So then you have guys like Troy Hill or Desmond King who went for a similar price point as King. We could have easily paid those guys instead of King but the FO decided on King.

I guess I just don't know how much "money" could have solved our issues beyond what we already did. I guess we could have brought back Linsley or a Dlineman instead of Lanaster.
Yoop wrote:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I think the variable here is how long Aaron Rodgers will look like Aaron Freaking Rodgers. Even before this year, his athleticism wasn't the issue. 2018 he was dealing with the knee and 2019 a new offense. 2020 was actually amazing although I thought his performance in the Championship game was good, not great (and he needed to be great in that game).

But when you look at the all time great QB's and take Brady out of the equation, they all started hitting their wall at some variation of old age, some very late 30's, some when they hit 40, and some early 40's. So as much as it saddens me that this could happen, the fact that he won MVP this year may not matter if suddenly at the age of 39, his body just hits that wall. With the Love pick, IF that happens, we have a plan and can obviously look for insurance in a veteran backup if for some reason he flops. I'd much rather do it this way than to go all in with the expectation that Rodgers will play until he's 42 without a drop off in performance and suddenly be scrambling to trade multiple high picks in the draft to move up to take a QB that has as good of chance as Jordan Love to succeed.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Finding great QBs is so difficult that I would happily "waste" all of Love's rookie contract, if he then becomes our third great in a row.

It would be suboptimal, and I can understand why it bugs the min-maxers among us, but it still would be hella lot better than over 95% of alternatives.

The fantasy of "we'll just tank and draft a great QB once AR retires, and then we'll have him cheap and can buy ALL the UFAs and be the bestest team EVER!!!!" simply assumes we hit on that QB quickly and easily. It's extremely likely we would not. It could go VERY bad.

The deadline to extend AR wasn't this year. The usual time to do so would be when there's 2 years remaining. That's next year, and even that's not a hard deadline. By then the team will have a much clearer idea about what we have in Love.

Also, if Gutey decides to stick with AR 'til the end, it's not a given that Love would have no trade value then. Garoppolo had sat for 3 seasons behind Brady, with 2 starts as injury relief, and they still got a 2nd rounder for him.

Point is, if Love can become a great QB, we can make it work either through keeping him or by trading him. If he's a bust, then it's definitely a fireable offense on part of Gutey.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

As I said in the "Who's The 2nd Best QB in NFCN" thread, Love has nice tools and is in an ideal situation to realize his upside/potential.

The problem with the pick for me is... we in all likelihood have cut Rodgers' time here short by making it. And that aspect of the pick is what keeps me from liking it where I feel like I otherwise would. Oh, and we gave up a 4th to do it, so it's not even like he just "fell in our lap."

And to the general refrain that you don't know that, maybe we will keep Rodgers and trade Love away... Andrew Brandt said it best, you do not make that pick not to start the guy sometime down the line; I doubt this is a Garoppolo situation. Also, Jimmy G was a 2nd, not a 1st. Even if we do, likely no move that we make will recoup the value of a 1st & 4th (which we used while entering a SB window).

I did not expect Rodgers to bounce back as dramatically as he did this past season, but I did think we would get a better idea of what we could expect of him going forward after another year fully-adjusted to MLF's system.

Yet even if Rodgers did not return to MVP form, I think there is great value in a QB who is at the point in his career when he transitions his "prime" -- where his loads of talent sets him apart -- to the savvy craftsmanship where he wins with his brains, and I thought that Rodgers' very mistake-free game would allow him (with help of a coach better than Mac) to transition into that role nicely.

Now, if he'd stayed at his 2017-2019 level, I think you would have had a real compelling argument that Rodgers is more valuable to this team as trade bait than its starting QB and that it's time to clear the way for a replacement. But, here we are.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

All of these responses about whether Love can be traded and whether Rodgers time is cut short... all of it...

is speculation about 2023

And involves evaluations made over the next TWO seasons of football.

That's the point of making putting a decision point into play. It's like a big roster bonus in year 3 of a contract. It does NOT determine which direction the decision will go. It prepares you to be able to make a decision without your back against the wall or out of need or desperation.

That's all this is. It's a move that creates a decision down the road about which we don't CURRENTLY have the necessary information or evaluation to make a decision that far out. But everyone here is trying to evaluate the mere existence of a decision point by figuring out what decision needs to be made two years from now with current, useless, incomplete information.

That's why it's dumb to discuss at this level. Because it is literally a transparent statement that in two years we will have a decision to make and we set it up that way so that we can use the next couple years to make the best decision for the team. And we're all yelling about what the best decision will be two years from now as if it needs to be known now.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

But it does have cap relevance right now. We can take the new information we did see which was that love couldn’t beat our Boyle who the packers didn’t even trade but let walk, and Rodgers tho he struggled under MM and was not great in year one of lefleur, came back in year two and had an MVP season...and just plan on Rodgers being our QB for the foreseeable future.

See you keep saying the Packers clearly have a plan...and I completely agree with you! I am just advocating that after this past year it is time for the org to be thankful they have an MVP QB and to punt on their plan.

Either by trading love or letting him be a backup while we remove the artificial decision point the team has created and open up more cap space by extending or restructuring Rodgers deal so we can field the best team possible right now...while Rodgers is still the best in the league.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Mar 2021 12:21
See you keep saying the Packers clearly have a plan...and I completely agree with you! I am just advocating that after this past year it is time for the org to be thankful they have an MVP QB and to punt on their plan.

Either by trading love or letting him be a backup while we remove the artificial decision point the team has created and open up more cap space by extending or restructuring Rodgers deal so we can field the best team possible right now...while Rodgers is still the best in the league.
No you're the one making an artificial decision point.

The team's plan is to wait until after the 2022 season and say "ok, which of these two guys should be our QB for the next three years."

And you're saying it's time to punt on that and artificially force a decision on "ok, it's 2021; which of these QBs should be our QB for the next 6 years." You are artificially moving up a decision and advocating to trade Love at his literal lowest value point. You keep claiming he "didn't beat out Boyle" but he never competed with Boyle. The Packers activated their development plan from the moment they drafted him and that included not forcing him into a role from day one. Favre was QB3 as a rookie. Rodgers didn't play as well as Craig Nall as a rookie. Love DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A PRESEASON TO EVALUATE and you still think there is "new information."

There is zero new or available information about how good Love will be in 2023. There is also zero new or available information about how Aaron Rodgers will play and what he will want in 2023.

Why make a decision for the next 6 years when you have a perfectly good structure to wait two years and make the decision then. It has no impact. If you trade Love now you're getting at best a second round pick (probably less because no one has seen him play and it's a deep QB class) and you're unlikely to get an immediate impact from that rookie, either.

You keep thinking that saying "the Packers have a plan" is saying "they have a plan to move on from Rodgers." No. The Packers have a plan to be in position to make the correct, more-informed QB decision about 2023-2025 when the time comes for that decision.

That's why I'm so frustrated by all of this. You're all TRYING TO MAKE THE DECISION that doesn't have to be made. We don't have to pick Rodgers or Love. We have Rodgers for at least 2 more years and we have Love under contract for at least 3 more years. We have the tools to properly evaluate the position and the finances and the situation in two years' time when we have the right amount of info. Love may light up preseason and become a trade asset. He may light up preseason and become our starter. He may not. He may look lost on the field and become a draft bust. But we can evaluate ALL of that while continuing to get high-level play from a HoF QB and make the right decision about the 2023 starter when the time comes.

The pick was made. Stop trying to UNDO it by advocating for a trade or an extension. And speaking of, even if Rodgers' deal is re-worked now, it won't change this dynamic. It would likely guarantee 2022 with the team, but that's already the most likely outcome anyway. Adding $5-8M in dead money to 2023 still leaves the team in position to choose whether to trade Rodgers and go with Love, to let Rodgers finish his contract and move on, while extending Love and having him compete, or to trade Love , extend Rodgers and draft a new heir apparent. Right now, and still if there is an extension, every option is on the table. I do not understand the rush to take options OFF the table.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Actually, there is one foreseeable event that does make the Love pick defensible: our cap situation gets VERY tight next offseason (and the next). So we may have to choose between a talented young roster -or- an elite QB, and having a good QB waiting in the wings helps make that decision easier.

And I'll admit, I may want to keep all of the younger blues around more than I want to keep Rodgers at the expense of 3-4 of them.

I think I am mostly just coping with what I am powerless to do anything about, tbh (the impending loss of AFR, which is sad regardless of how well it works out). 'Part of me thought maybe I should not hit Submit on the post I just made because I hate to be a downer on a fandom site. Still, it's kind of an "elephant in the room" thing.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Mar 2021 12:34
Drj820 wrote:
30 Mar 2021 12:21

No you're the one making an artificial decision point.

The team's plan is to wait until after the 2022 season and say "ok, which of these two guys should be our QB for the next three years."

And you're saying it's time to punt on that and artificially force a decision on "ok, it's 2021; which of these QBs should be our QB for the next 6 years." You are artificially moving up a decision and advocating to trade Love at his literal lowest value point. You keep claiming he "didn't beat out Boyle" but he never competed with Boyle. The Packers activated their development plan from the moment they drafted him and that included not forcing him into a role from day one. Favre was QB3 as a rookie. Rodgers didn't play as well as Craig Nall as a rookie. Love DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A PRESEASON TO EVALUATE and you still think there is "new information."

There is zero new or available information about how good Love will be in 2023. There is also zero new or available information about how Aaron Rodgers will play and what he will want in 2023.

Why make a decision for the next 6 years when you have a perfectly good structure to wait two years and make the decision then. It has no impact. If you trade Love now you're getting at best a second round pick (probably less because no one has seen him play and it's a deep QB class) and you're unlikely to get an immediate impact from that rookie, either.

You keep thinking that saying "the Packers have a plan" is saying "they have a plan to move on from Rodgers." No. The Packers have a plan to be in position to make the correct, more-informed QB decision about 2023-2025 when the time comes for that decision.

That's why I'm so frustrated by all of this. You're all TRYING TO MAKE THE DECISION that doesn't have to be made. We don't have to pick Rodgers or Love. We have Rodgers for at least 2 more years and we have Love under contract for at least 3 more years. We have the tools to properly evaluate the position and the finances and the situation in two years' time when we have the right amount of info. Love may light up preseason and become a trade asset. He may light up preseason and become our starter. He may not. He may look lost on the field and become a draft bust. But we can evaluate ALL of that while continuing to get high-level play from a HoF QB and make the right decision about the 2023 starter when the time comes.

The pick was made. Stop trying to UNDO it by advocating for a trade or an extension. And speaking of, even if Rodgers' deal is re-worked now, it won't change this dynamic. It would likely guarantee 2022 with the team, but that's already the most likely outcome anyway. Adding $5-8M in dead money to 2023 still leaves the team in position to choose whether to trade Rodgers and go with Love, to let Rodgers finish his contract and move on, while extending Love and having him compete, or to trade Love , extend Rodgers and draft a new heir apparent. Right now, and still if there is an extension, every option is on the table. I do not understand the rush to take options OFF the table.
I hate hearing logic when it goes against my desire to draft Justin Jefferson :rotf:

all along Rodgers to me has looked able to play 5 more years, and he may still, just that the last couple will be for the Tampa freaking Bay Buckaroo's :lol: