Packers @ Saints GDT - 9/12/2021 3:25 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Over/Under (Vote for the Over, please vote for first option)

Poll ended at 12 Sep 2021 09:26

Packers wins 0.5 (Vote for this to get an accurate count)
19%
Aaron Jones 85.5 total yards
13%
Davante Adams 6.5 catches
13%
Smiths + Gary 1.75 sacks
15%
1.5 takeaways by D
12%
Bojorquez 41.5 net average
10%
Packers score 27.5
13%
Saints score 22.5
3%

Total votes: 97

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Sep 2021 06:40
Yoop wrote:
13 Sep 2021 06:34
resting all our defensive starters with a brand new DC and new defensive schemes, same with the offense made us look like a seller dweller, hope this puts a chip on every ones shoulder responsible for this fiasco.

me thinks we should have ponied up the asking price for Leonard, Barry looks way out of his element.
You have been on a role of good posts lately Yoop. Once again, you are correct. It was foolish and arrogant to not play hardly any starters for at least one quarter of a preseason game with a brand new DC. It was also foolish to not play the New OL together for at least one quarter. The team that was more ready to play kicked the crap out of the team that wasn’t ready. Makes sense.

Now here is a tough question: you saw early in the game on 4th and 3 where we were clearly in punt territory rodgers just looked over to Lafleur and was like “cmon let’s go for it”. Then Lafleur obliged and had to call timeout bc he was never planning on going for it before Rodgers demanded it. Then we got it which was good but..my point is...do other players just tell Lafleur what they wanna do and he obliges? Lol

Did Lafleur think it would be good for the starting OL to get some preseason snaps but they all him they weren’t feeling it and he was like, okay I guess.

I don’t like seeing Lafleur bow to the wishes of others, I for sure hope everyone’s not making their own demands
no I think Rodgers is probably the only one MLF listens to, it was early in the game, going for it with success builds confidence, and Rodgers may have seen something he could take advantage of on the previous play, I think the time out is partially a lack of game prep and not having the right personal package on the field.

Rodgers for all the angst some have for him is basically a playing coach, it's wise for Matt to some times take the advice of his QB, just my opinion though.

so much went wrong, it's hard for me to evaluate very much, if anything the coaches have a lot of film to watch and corrections to make, I think a lot of what we saw is fixable, I think we'll see a better effort next week.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 Sep 2021 06:46
GIVE THE BALL TO AJ DILLON. MLF has got to figure out what to do when teams play us 2 high. And the thing is...we have a counter for it.

His name is AJ Dillon.
a couple of his runs where off play action, and against a light box, when we used Dillon in a straight up run package against a full box he got 2 or 3 yrds, so it's anyones guess if running Dillon more would have moved the chains, obviously Lafluer didn't think so, but I do agree we to often abandon the run when only down a score or maybe 10 points.

when ya run for 4 yrds on first down, to many folks think thats successful, but it isn't, not enough anyway for a coach to garner confidence in it to keep pounding it, ya need 6 yrds on a first down run imho to do it again on 2nd down.
our ol blocking wouldn't inspire a HS coach to run the ball.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I don’t like seeing Lafleur bow to the wishes of others, I for sure hope everyone’s not making their own demands
I get it, but you can't be happy that MLF has built this great locker room with a "leadership committee" and knows how to listen to players and be respected by players but then at the same time not like that he listens to players.

My biggest grip with MLF is the same as it was for MM in 2017 and 2018 with Aaron Jones.

GIVE THE BALL TO AJ DILLON. MLF has got to figure out what to do when teams play us 2 high. And the thing is...we have a counter for it.

His name is AJ Dillon.
Yea but what I’m talking about has nothing to do with locker room vibes, players being respected, open communication in the locker room etc. All those things are good and I am happy about those things.

Im talking about:

Did Lafleur think the OL could use some PS snaps but they balked and assured him they would be ready, did he change his mind?

Was Lafleur going to punt but then agreed to go for it bc he wanted to keep Rodgers happy?

Does Lafleur want to run more but Rodgers keeps checking into passes and is Lafleur powerless to stop this?

These are the things Im probing, and also things I am unsure about. None of the three above things could be true, but I really think the odds of them being true are increasing based on what I see.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

go pak go wrote:
13 Sep 2021 05:43
Drj820 wrote:
13 Sep 2021 05:38
go pak go wrote:
13 Sep 2021 05:32

Who cares if we are a contender. Just beat the Lions.
This is the mentality I hope the team quickly returns too. Bc I believe they were thinking about a return to NFCCG and what to do when they got their, more than they were thinking about playing the Saints on Sunday. Packers need to hop off the cool golf carts and exotic sports cars and grab a hard had and lunch pale and think a little more blue collar.
I have absolutely hated watching that damn golf cart. Like I get work should be fun, etc. but ultimately I had to convinced myself that Adams, Rodgers, MLF, etc knew what they were doing and were happy with their camp results.

I mean we got destroyed by such an inferior team. If lupe complains about the Packers not addressing talent needs....whooof! Just look at the Saints! Those talentless bums showed us talent don't matter.

But I agree. Stop thinking about SB. Stop thinking about playoff seeding or returning to the title game.

Just beat the freaking Lions. It's a long season.
Okay, I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or if you were serious in saying the Saints are talentless. Either way, the Saints are a very talented team. They certainly looked a lot more talented than we did.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
13 Sep 2021 06:31
MLF: "We believe Kevin King is one of the best press man cover corners in the league. He's as good as it gets when he gets his hands on you."

Joe Barry: *let's put Kevin King in soft coverage*
Tom Silverstein and Ryan Wood said on their podcast prior to the game that Barrys defense played softer than Pettines and I was stunned. I thought there was no way but there they were in extremely off coverage. I dont blame anyone for playing King off. If you play him up close in press he just gets pan fried and burnt down the field.

Another thing Silverstein said, and if true is really damning, is that LaFleur assumed Leonard from Wisconsin would accept the gig when firing Pettine. I dont know if Leonard said sure and then Wisconsin gave him and offer he couldnt refuse but if you are going to fire Pettine, who was not bad despite popular belief, you better damn well have an upgrade. Barry is not that guy. His history speaks for itself. This already looks like an atrocious hire.

I will say this. I am a firm believer the personnel on defense is not up to par. You can not continue to put poor LBs on the field and expect different results against the run. You cannot keep fielding Dean Lowry as the guy to help Kenny Clark and expect different results. That is on Gutey. It is no surprise those two positions struggled yesterday. Devondre Campbell looked lame, lost, and terrible.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Very disappointed in MVS and King.

Both did a lot of talking this TC about how good they and the team were and both were bad. MVS couldn’t get open at all against random PS players.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Sep 2021 08:24

I will say this. I am a firm believer the personnel on defense is not up to par. You can not continue to put poor LBs on the field and expect different results against the run. You cannot keep fielding Dean Lowry as the guy to help Kenny Clark and expect different results. That is on Gutey. It is no surprise those two positions struggled yesterday. Devondre Campbell looked lame, lost, and terrible.
The Saints put out sh*t in their front 7 outside their ends and did just fine.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

williewasgreat wrote:
13 Sep 2021 08:11
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
13 Sep 2021 05:38

This is the mentality I hope the team quickly returns too. Bc I believe they were thinking about a return to NFCCG and what to do when they got their, more than they were thinking about playing the Saints on Sunday. Packers need to hop off the cool golf carts and exotic sports cars and grab a hard had and lunch pale and think a little more blue collar.
I have absolutely hated watching that damn golf cart. Like I get work should be fun, etc. but ultimately I had to convinced myself that Adams, Rodgers, MLF, etc knew what they were doing and were happy with their camp results.

I mean we got destroyed by such an inferior team. If lupe complains about the Packers not addressing talent needs....whooof! Just look at the Saints! Those talentless bums showed us talent don't matter.

But I agree. Stop thinking about SB. Stop thinking about playoff seeding or returning to the title game.

Just beat the freaking Lions. It's a long season.
Okay, I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or if you were serious in saying the Saints are talentless. Either way, the Saints are a very talented team. They certainly looked a lot more talented than we did.
The Saints are the Packers except downgrade at QB, no Adams, no Kenny Clark, no Robert Tonyan, no AJ Dillon, Sullivan and Ento being your #2 and #3 CB and Henry Black being your #2 Safety.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

go pak go wrote:
And I feel bad for every sorry chap who paid hundreds of dollars to go to this game.
There was literally not one thing to get excited about that whole game. Everyone sitting around us was really trying, too - but those idiots didn't give us anything.

I've never gone to a football game before where I wanted to cheer so badly and never got a single opportunity to. Just sucked the life out of every GB fan in the stadium from the start to the finish.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
13 Sep 2021 08:29
Very disappointed in MVS and King.

Both did a lot of talking this TC about how good they and the team were and both were bad. MVS couldn’t get open at all against random PS players.
This happens every year tho. Add Devondre Campbell to the list of guys that were worshiped for their TC performance by the Packers beatwriters, just like Kirksey was the year before.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

My problem with the Preseason strategy for the Packers doesnt really have anything to do with the "stars". I am fine with preserving their health at all cost and letting them get right come week one. My issue is that we have tons of guys that needed the reps.

Dont play Jaire a snap, but King needed reps in the final PS game.
Stokes needed reps, hes a rookie geez.
Dean Lowry needed reps.
Slow Lazard and yes MVS could have used reps. At least in one game.
Billy Turner could have used some reps.
The list goes on.

There were plenty of guys who were roster locks that needed at least one game of reps just because it might have helped them prepare for week one.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
13 Sep 2021 08:38
go pak go wrote:
And I feel bad for every sorry chap who paid hundreds of dollars to go to this game.
There was literally not one thing to get excited about that whole game. Everyone sitting around us was really trying, too - but those idiots didn't give us anything.

I've never gone to a football game before where I wanted to cheer so badly and never got a single opportunity to. Just sucked the life out of every GB fan in the stadium from the start to the finish.
I thought about you all day yesterday. That had to be absolutely brutal.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Sep 2021 08:45
My problem with the Preseason strategy for the Packers doesnt really have anything to do with the "stars". I am fine with preserving their health at all cost and letting them get right come week one. My issue is that we have tons of guys that needed the reps.

Dont play Jaire a snap, but King needed reps in the final PS game.
Stokes needed reps, hes a rookie geez.
Dean Lowry needed reps.
Slow Lazard and yes MVS could have used reps. At least in one game.
Billy Turner could have used some reps.
The list goes on.

There were plenty of guys who were roster locks that needed at least one game of reps just because it might have helped them prepare for week one.
And also make them believe they aren't "above preseason".
Yoop wrote:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Sep 2021 07:13
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I get it, but you can't be happy that MLF has built this great locker room with a "leadership committee" and knows how to listen to players and be respected by players but then at the same time not like that he listens to players.

My biggest grip with MLF is the same as it was for MM in 2017 and 2018 with Aaron Jones.

His name is AJ Dillon.
Yea but what I’m talking about has nothing to do with locker room vibes, players being respected, open communication in the locker room etc. All those things are good and I am happy about those things.

Im talking about:

Did Lafleur think the OL could use some PS snaps but they balked and assured him they would be ready, did he change his mind?

Was Lafleur going to punt but then agreed to go for it bc he wanted to keep Rodgers happy?

Does Lafleur want to run more but Rodgers keeps checking into passes and is Lafleur powerless to stop this?

These are the things Im probing, and also things I am unsure about. None of the three above things could be true, but I really think the odds of them being true are increasing based on what I see.

If MLF thought the OL needed the work they would have worked period. Those guys know the importance of being on the field together and were probably begging to get out there in the PS. The coaches decided to hold anyone back who already had the job.

I think going for it was either supreme over confidence. Or putting your troops on death ground early, trying to wake them up.

AR isn't checking out of runs, we are in passing formations. What has bothered me is, going into the TB game, we had a great amount of flexibility and deception. In the TB game we saw none of that, everything was static. Yesterday same thing. Where is the motion at the snap? Where is the play action. Where is the mix of targeting depths. Where is sending the back out and clearing the middle. Our play is lacking all the innovation we saw last year. All the stuff that helps your OL and WRs isn't there. It looked a lot more like an MM O than last years top O.

So let's get back to playing smart. Time to rip through the lions.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 Sep 2021 08:31
lupedafiasco wrote:

well our OL made them look like HOFamers, Rodgers very rarely had more then a 3 count before protection broke down and I agree with Lupe, our front 7 played for &%$@, no pressure and near zero run containment.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Not ready to overreact because they always say that it's not as bad as it looked or not as great as it seemed after wins/losses.

But.....Rodgers was bad. Really bad. Saw some film breakdown on Twitter that his timing was way off. Had he thrown an out route to Jones a second earlier, he would have easily picked up a first down. These issues can be fixed, just hope Rodgers really is there mentally. This was my biggest worry going into the season. He can say the right things, and post pics of MJ/Pippen on Instagram, but if his head isn't into putting into the work and being as sharp as he was last year, then I'd rather us get what we can for him now before he damages his trade value too bad.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

The only positive thing about yesterday was every other team in the NFCN also lost. Let's hope they got all of their crappy play out of their systems. :|

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

As you can see this game was a pessimist's... I mean, realist's dream. All "predictions" made before the season have undoubtedly come true and even some that were not made before the game have magically come true as well. There was not a single bright spot in this game. To me that only points to the coach not having his team ready to play the first game, nothing more, nothing less. All the "I told you sos" really show the true nature of that individual, not the team. Far too little of a sample size to be making such statements.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 13 Sep 2021 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
13 Sep 2021 08:31
lupedafiasco wrote:

Demario Davis is a damn good LB. Marcus Davenport is going to breakout this year. Cam Jordan is a good player. Kwon is a fast LB if kept clean. That is a good front 7. They lacked DTs but they had talent.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
13 Sep 2021 09:00
Not ready to overreact because they always say that it's not as bad as it looked or not as great as it seemed after wins/losses.

But.....Rodgers was bad. Really bad. Saw some film breakdown on Twitter that his timing was way off. Had he thrown an out route to Jones a second earlier, he would have easily picked up a first down. These issues can be fixed, just hope Rodgers really is there mentally. This was my biggest worry going into the season. He can say the right things, and post pics of MJ/Pippen on Instagram, but if his head isn't into putting into the work and being as sharp as he was last year, then I'd rather us get what we can for him now before he damages his trade value too bad.
ya lets trade Rodgers after all Love again looked good against a prevent and 3rd stringers :thwap:

Rodgers addmited he didn't play well or as good as he's capable of, but Rodgers is the least of my worries, we need to protect him better, we need better run blocking too, on defense we have spent tons of resources at pass rush and secondary, and both &%$@ the bed yesterday, so common for you and others to bitch about Rodgers, rarely ever did you see a receiver open on schedule, and several times our check down players weren't even a option since they wouldn't have gotten a first down even if Rodgers threw it to them, your bringing up the one instance I saw where it would have worked throwing it to Jones, we simply couldn't beat one on one coverage, and MVS looked like a 4.5 40 runner, not the 4.35 guy Rodgers over threw.