Titans @ Packers GDT: Thursday, Nov. 17th, 7:15 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

seriously u's guys, Rodgers for one has been a excellent pocket passer when given time, on the biggest pass play of the game for WAtsons TD he felt pressure up front, move left to avoid it, and if he hadn't released the ball when he did he'd have been sacked a instant later, Bahk was beaten, and our line was constantly pushed back into Rodgers, he moves up or sideways to avoid the push.

we have watched Rodgers sit in the pocket and fire strikes for years, for anyone to say he is not a pocket passer is complete fabrication, he is also excellent with Up tempo, releasing the ball in 1.5 or 2 count seems second nature to him, our problem is the line often can't even give him that and we don't have receivers that consistently beat press.

I agree Rodgers has had some accuracy issues, possibly it's the thumb, or along with that he never knows how much to lead receivers, even Raptor said receivers are screwing up the routes, I've been saying that same thing all year, I'd rather deal with why these things happen, then just blame the QB, poor pass pro, and receiver screw ups will obviously cause the QB to over think, second guessing himself, lis prior concerning Amari, this game doesn't allow thinking and playing at the same time, ya do the thinking part when preparing for the game, during leads to being slow to react, slow to deliver a pass, I know you guys see what I do, it baffles me that you wont admit it.

know this, I've said it when it happened, I was fine moving on from Rodgers, I freaked when Murphy gave him that humongous contract in the off season of 2018, he still had 2 years on his old contract, I suspected Rodgers may have asked for a trade after 017 and Murphy did what it took to keep him on board, same with last year.

people really dislike Rodgers, thats easy, I don't like him personally either, but I know which side of the bread has the butter, if ya think, and I do that Rodgers ( any QB) struggles with pressure, just go watch Love deal with it last years PS games, after we lose to Philly which seems likely we may see more of Love, who knows, but I'am not holding my breath expecting improvement.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Nov 2022 07:31
The Packers have come back down to earth, after a long period of supremacy. No shame in that. It is frustrating to the players and to the fan base. But we’ve had 30 years of very good football.

To me, there are two issues. First, Packers are NOT playing up to the talent level of the team. Second, #12 is not at all consistent any more. Both of those issues need to be resolved.

For the talent level, coaching should adapt. Adaptation is a part of the league. And we are a couple of years behind in that. I think primarily of the D. It is not the risk-taking, pressure-making D that I hoped for when we hired Barry. If we weren’t going to go in that direction, whey didn’t we just keep Capers!

For Rodgers, I wish I knew more if his troubles were mostly about his thumb or not. But I suspect it’s more mental. His errant throws are stacking up. Most of that might be about the thumb. But it’s clear that he misses many opportunities that he used to exploit. Yeah, he suffers from inexperienced WRs too. No doubt. But the “reigning MVP” should be able to alleviate some of that and he isn’t. There’s not a lot wrong with playing like you’re a middle of the pack QB. But everybody, including the Packers and #12, expect more.

The old adage says that it’s better to let go of a player when it’s too early than to do it when it’s too late. I’m sure he could succeed some more with another team and a change of scenery. Favre did. But the Pack needs to move on.
Is Rodgers' salary guaranteed by us in 2023?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 09:15

Saw it Sunday. Didn't see it Thursday.
I guess this tweet squashes any notion that Rodgers never blames himself when things go south.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
18 Nov 2022 13:58
The offensive line hit their bottom vs the Jets. At that point the narrative was established that our Oline is terrible because they were terrible.

However, starting with the Washington game, the line has actually steadied and gotten better and better every week. I think our Oline has the horses and potential to do stuff for us. Not top 5 - dominant Oline, but certainly not game wrecking either. I would put them at that 10th to 15th range easily.

Our largest issues now are lack of playmakers and talent on the veteran side of our WR roster and lack of aggression and pass rush on our defense. We really miss Gary. We really need Savage to go away and we really need Barry to have a better scheme.
we absolutely had to pass last night, the blocking against the tenn dl wasn't good, we had a few run schemes that worked, but not consistently enough to keep running, and that has been the case all year, same with pass pro, Rodgers never knows where the rusher will come from, he is constantly moving in the pocket because he feels (real or imagined) pressure, last night you saw our line pushed towards him, so just because a rusher didn't touch him doesn't mean he doesn't feel that coming, or that it doesn't have a lasting affect game after game, cause rest assured it does, it's like a pendulum it takes time to regain faith that the blocking is good and dependable.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Raptorman wrote:
18 Nov 2022 09:44
Watching last night's game, the one thing I noticed is the Packers WRs are running crappy routes, it looks like they are not finishing them. I remember one play toward the end of the game when a Packer WR fell down, Rodgers was scrambling for his life and the guy just stayed on the ground. WTF? The announcers are talking about overthrowing the WRs, I think it was the WRs cutting off routes. Just my point of view.
Watson was guilty of not finishing his routes on more than one occasion. He has missed so much playing time this season he is way behind the curve. I like what I see in him but he needs a lot more coaching and playing time before he is a real offensive threat for GB.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

releasing the ball in 1.5 or 2 count seems second nature to him, our problem is the line often can't even give him that
Here is the part that is bogus. It was true until about 3-4 weeks ago, since then the line has been solid at pass blocking.

Literally the only thing I was talking about this time around was the lines pass blocking last night. However, if we are getting into it again, as I have said since the start, this is a top to bottom issue. There isn't a player, coach, or front office person not responsible other than maybe Aaron Jones and Rashan Gary.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 15:10
releasing the ball in 1.5 or 2 count seems second nature to him, our problem is the line often can't even give him that
Here is the part that is bogus. It was true until about 3-4 weeks ago, since then the line has been solid at pass blocking.

Literally the only thing I was talking about this time around was the lines pass blocking last night. However, if we are getting into it again, as I have said since the start, this is a top to bottom issue. There isn't a player, coach, or front office person not responsible other than maybe Aaron Jones and Rashan Gary.
I can't figure out why you wont accept that Rodgers has not been able to consistently set up in the pocket, it's probably 2/3rds of drop backs that he has a G or tackle pushed right back to him and he has to move and reset, now that kind of pressure wont be on the stat reel, but it still forces to QB to move and avoid it, that stuff accumulates, and it has happened so much Rodgers now expects it, last nights TD toss to Watson is a prime example, felt pressure up front, slide left and had to get rid of the ball under pressure because Bahk was beaten.

our main problems on offense are OL and the receivers, no doubt in my mind, Rodgers issues are a consequence of that mostly, obviously age and the thumb don't help either.

On defense, yes the loss of Gary hurts both against the run and pass rush, but Barry's schemes suck, we've had major decline in my opinion concerning both stopping the run and coverage ability, players constantly making mistakes, Barry has to go, and Lafluer might go right with him.

I see no reason to cut or eat Rodgers dead money, unless Love can prove he's ready, if not Keep Rodger on, use our high pick on another QB, and move on with Rodgers probable last season.

when ya look at the way we lacked preparing for life after Adams, and WAtkins fa choice, then the draft, seems this was being looked at as a 2 year window, next year possibly the better team of the two, WAlker, Wyatt, and Watson, Doubs, and Touri would have more experience.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
18 Nov 2022 15:48
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 15:10

I can't figure out why you wont accept that Rodgers has not been able to consistently set up in the pocket, it's probably 2/3rds of drop backs that he has a G or tackle pushed right back to him and he has to move and reset,
I don't accept it because it isn't happening. This is something that is only happening in your mind. For PFF, that would be a pressure and counted as such. It isn't happening right now. Why you keep saying this is because you CRAVE an excuse for Rodgers' poor play that isn't on the man himself.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
18 Nov 2022 14:47
seriously u's guys, Rodgers for one has been a excellent pocket passer when given time,
Actually, he has been WORSE when given time than when he is under pressure! 5th worst QB from a clean pocket:

on the biggest pass play of the game for WAtsons TD he felt pressure up front, move left to avoid it, Bahk was beaten, and our line was constantly pushed back into Rodgers, he moves up or sideways to avoid the push.
It went nothing like that; 1:52.

Rodgers holds the ball comfortably for 4-5 seconds, an eternity for an NFL pass play.

Titans rushed four:
1.) #98 (Simmons) stood back a few seconds and then tries to bum-rush Jenkins to get to the QB, but Jenkins picks it up, flattens him
2.) #96 is double-teamed by Runyan and Jones, breaks free, but by that time Rodgers is already winding up to throw

These two come closest to getting anywhere near Rodgers, and neither of them had a chance.

3.) #94 can't get past Nijman, basically gives up on the play
4.) #99 gets stonewalled by Bakhtiari, then Jenkins, then back to Bakhtiari who knocks him two yards back and basically out of the play, nowhere close to him getting beaten.
and if he hadn't released the ball when he did he'd have been sacked a instant later,
After holding the ball for over five full seconds, yes, #96 might have sacked him, but if the OL gives the QB a full five seconds with no one in his face and he gets sacked... that's on the QB.

*** edit ***

It occurred to me that Watson had 2 TDs, so I checked to see if Rodgers was under duress in the other one: fast-forward to 7:16 and pause lol.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Whoah. Did anyone else notice the huge false start Jon Runyan had on the 2nd Watson TD?!

And yeah. the pocket is super clean for Rodgers on that. Like SUPER clean.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
18 Nov 2022 16:11
Rodgers holds the ball comfortably for 4-5 seconds, an eternity for an NFL pass play.
I stand corrected, he moved to the left directing Watson, waited as long as he could , but the pressure was on him as he released it, where just cutting hairs here, while he's had time on occasion, he's more often the one who creates it, navigating around OL who are pushed right back to him.

I refuse to believe Rodgers went from a MVP season to as bad as most seem to think he is, he didn't have any trouble throwing Cobb open, or Doubs when he's healthy, or Lazard unless he stumbles out of the gate, most of the time there not open and he doesn't have all day to wait, he had another play with time, scanning for a open Receiver and Simmons came around the end, Rodgers had to throw it away,

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pugger wrote:
18 Nov 2022 14:49
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Nov 2022 07:31
The Packers have come back down to earth, after a long period of supremacy. No shame in that. It is frustrating to the players and to the fan base. But we’ve had 30 years of very good football.

To me, there are two issues. First, Packers are NOT playing up to the talent level of the team. Second, #12 is not at all consistent any more. Both of those issues need to be resolved.

For the talent level, coaching should adapt. Adaptation is a part of the league. And we are a couple of years behind in that. I think primarily of the D. It is not the risk-taking, pressure-making D that I hoped for when we hired Barry. If we weren’t going to go in that direction, whey didn’t we just keep Capers!

For Rodgers, I wish I knew more if his troubles were mostly about his thumb or not. But I suspect it’s more mental. His errant throws are stacking up. Most of that might be about the thumb. But it’s clear that he misses many opportunities that he used to exploit. Yeah, he suffers from inexperienced WRs too. No doubt. But the “reigning MVP” should be able to alleviate some of that and he isn’t. There’s not a lot wrong with playing like you’re a middle of the pack QB. But everybody, including the Packers and #12, expect more.

The old adage says that it’s better to let go of a player when it’s too early than to do it when it’s too late. I’m sure he could succeed some more with another team and a change of scenery. Favre did. But the Pack needs to move on.
Is Rodgers' salary guaranteed by us in 2023?
I don’t know how much of it is guaranteed. But I do believe he accounts for over $50 million toward the cap, whether he’s on the team or not. That’s why I’m thinking he ain’t going nowhere.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

From https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-p ... ng-players at Sportrac, there's no reasonable option to release him next year. However, if they could somehow still find someone willing to trade for him, it actually does get manageable.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Half Empty wrote:
19 Nov 2022 08:43
From https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-p ... ng-players at Sportrac, there's no reasonable option to release him next year. However, if they could somehow still find someone willing to trade for him, it actually does get manageable.
Make another Hadl trade in reverse!!

Interesting numbers and information: NOV 9 2021 Fined $14,650 Conduct Detrimental to the Team (COVID)

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yeah. On that high cross, I don’t know what was worse, seeing the non-catch for the high throw, seeing all the room that Lazard would have had to run, or to realize that another excellent play call on third down was missed.

(Yup, I said “another excellent play call”…)

:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Nov 2022 10:52
I think Dusty read my comment from last week and made an effort to limit his yapping on in that piece. You're welcome. :mrgreen:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]APB[/mention] you spoke too soon.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Nov 2022 08:52

@APB you spoke too soon.
:lol:

Yeah, 10 1/2 minutes on an interception play breakdown? No thanks. I’ll just assume Rasul done good.