Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
04 Jun 2023 06:56
Loved this dude coming out.

He’s been very quiet I had thought to deserve a contract like this. Although Buffalo’s D always been great while he’s there.

Oh yeah, that feels like a lot for Ed Oliver.

Though let's do a little math. He was due $10.75M in 2023, so this deal is a 5-year $79M deal, which is still just under $16M/year

Yeah, I'm a little surprised. He was supposed to be an undersized pass rusher but he ended up a very stout run defender with limited pass rush productivity. That has value, but I'm surprised it had that much. I imagine they still see his pass rush upside as emergent, given he's only been in the league for 4 years and seems to have a toolset for it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I liked Oliver as a prospect. Hated him for us, though. I think he would have stunk in a two-gap system like we ran with Pettine.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Lots of talk on Twitter today saying Dalvin Cook’s release from the Vikings is imminent and that he’s targeting the Jets as his new team.

If I’m the Jets, I’m not sure I’d want to bring in a big name/big contract RB with the quality they already have at the position.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

This is one hell of a bad endorsement.

Read More. Post Less.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

NCF wrote:
05 Jun 2023 19:02

Is BF wrong? Has this guy ever even met :favre: when writing the biography? Seens like a SCAB trying to get 15 minutes or sell his book. I know people who personally knew BF in the 90s in GB that said he was incredibly intelligent.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

wallyuwl wrote:
05 Jun 2023 21:05
NCF wrote:
05 Jun 2023 19:02

Is BF wrong? Has this guy ever even met :favre: when writing the biography? Seens like a SCAB trying to get 15 minutes or sell his book. I know people who personally knew BF in the 90s in GB that said he was incredibly intelligent.
Yeah if you look at the other things Favre says, [snip]

But I try to separate the player from the rest. He's still one of my top 5 players of all time. Just wish he'd stay the hell away from Don Jr.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

wallyuwl wrote:
Is BF wrong? Has this guy ever even met when writing the biography? Seens like a SCAB trying to get 15 minutes or sell his book. I know people who personally knew BF in the 90s in GB that said he was incredibly intelligent.
I don't know the answer to any of those questions and I didn't even listen to what he said (not the place, anyway). Still, with his name attached to that book, a very successful book, I believe, that is a tough shot.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Politics aside, I think it would be very difficult for even a very intelligent man to maintain their great mind after playing football for as long as Favre did.
—Magneto

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

NCF wrote:
06 Jun 2023 08:06
wallyuwl wrote:
Is BF wrong? Has this guy ever even met when writing the biography? Seens like a SCAB trying to get 15 minutes or sell his book. I know people who personally knew BF in the 90s in GB that said he was incredibly intelligent.
I don't know the answer to any of those questions and I didn't even listen to what he said (not the place, anyway). Still, with his name attached to that book, a very successful book, I believe, that is a tough shot.
What book? Gunslinger? I read it when it came out, like 7 years ago I think. I don't understand what you mean when you say "with his name attached to that book." Are you referring to Pearlman? If so, it's a biography that he wrote years ago before Favre publicly said anything about politics. If anything it will make the book more popular among people who didn't care about Favre before. :lol:

It was a good very book BTW, but the author did come off as a passive-aggressive weenie at times so I'm not surprised in the slightest that he reacted to this podcast the way that he did.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Beginning to think the Jets don’t understand leverage.
Robert Saleh wrote:I speak for everyone — I probably speak for Quinnen — in that we all want get done sooner rather than later,” Saleh said, via ESPN. “I’ll let the business guys handle all that stuff, but it’s going to get done. He’ll be here for camp. He’ll be ready to roll and once he is, I’m sure it’ll be the same guy who was here.”

Be shocked if this isn’t 2nd highest paid D contract ever behind Donald now. Agent has them by the balls now.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jun 2023 07:29
Robert Saleh wrote:I speak for everyone — I probably speak for Quinnen — in that we all want get done sooner rather than later,” Saleh said, via ESPN. “I’ll let the business guys handle all that stuff, but it’s going to get done. He’ll be here for camp. He’ll be ready to roll and once he is, I’m sure it’ll be the same guy who was here.”

Be shocked if this isn’t 2nd highest paid D contract ever behind Donald now. Agent has them by the balls now.
what led you to believe that Quinnen wouldn't be the next highest paid under Donald? I thought that was cut and dried after last season?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Remember when geniuses here and elsewhere said "the Packers have NO leverage!" in the Rodgers trade?

That was funny! :mrgreen:
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
07 Jun 2023 11:08
BF004 wrote:

what led you to believe that Quinnen wouldn't be the next highest paid under Donald? I thought that was cut and dried after last season?
Because he’s nowhere near the 2nd best defensive player in the league? He’s not even the 2nd best from his draft class. Ya boi Jeffrey Simmons been better and a lot more consistent.

Williams a one year wonder pretty much so far.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jun 2023 11:22
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Because he’s nowhere near the 2nd best defensive player in the league? He’s not even the 2nd best from his draft class. Ya boi Jeffrey Simmons been better and a lot more consistent.

all true, but isn't he the next very good DT due a contract? and as we've now seen the next best jumps the rest, that was mostly my point, he had a twelve sack season, and all pro season.

Gary hasn't had that and people here want to pay him as though he had.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
07 Jun 2023 11:59
BF004 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

all true, but isn't he the next very good DT due a contract? and as we've now seen the next best jumps the rest, that was mostly my point, he had a twelve sack season, and all pro season.

Gary hasn't had that and people here want to pay him as though he had.
We don't need edition number two of "forum wanted X player to be paid a lot of money"

That is different from language that we know Gary is going to get paid a lot of money and we hope/know he is going to be a Packer in his 2nd contract.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lawrence and Simmons both already got contracts. I think both have been better.

Whatever Williams gets, Bosa should exceed it by a fair margin.

Gary and Brian Burns should both be right in that ballpark too with Williams. In my opinion.

And ya got Devin White (position paid way less), what an amazing front 7 draft at the top.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Nice box-score scouting but you have no idea what you're talking about. Quinnen is a stud machine far beyond Simonds and even better than Dexter Lawrence, whether it was reflected on the stat sheet or not. He's definitely a Top-5 defender in the league.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I’ll own this one for [mention]Yoop[/mention] of the future.

I want to pay Gary like he has already had a 12 sack season. I want to do it now. I want to do it before any other deals on defense get signed.

I want to give him ~$20Mish a year for as many years as he’ll allow us to right now while he’s injured and might take less for more guarantees

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
07 Jun 2023 13:44
BF004 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Nice box-score scouting but you have no idea what you're talking about. Quinnen is a stud machine far beyond Simonds and even better than Dexter Lawrence, whether it was reflected on the stat sheet or not. He's definitely a Top-5 defender in the league.
Lol.

I didn’t call him bad. I called him not the 2nd best defender in the league. Seems like even you agree with that. I think he will probably be paid like he is now, after Saleh’s comments. Even if it’s short lived till Bosa gets his.

I frankly don’t think he’s the 2nd best defender from his draft class. My opinion goes beyond box scores??

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Jun 2023 13:55
I’ll own this one for @Yoop of the future.

I want to pay Gary like he has already had a 12 sack season. I want to do it now. I want to do it before any other deals on defense get signed.

I want to give him ~$20Mish a year for as many years as he’ll allow us to right now while he’s injured and might take less for more guarantees
I would be very much in favor in that.

Because his price is only going to go up.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.