Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

bud fox wrote:
26 Oct 2023 18:53
Jordan love was not good. Even his two td passes were a could be int and a pinball.

He made some other poor decisions.

But the big thing was every thing was short. The game plan by mlf was designed that way but it was designed that way because of loves accuracy issues.
You gotta call it fairly. People think I’m negative but I’m a tough grader and call things as I see it. That first TD was an absolutely &%$@ pass and Doubs bailed him out.

The second was a good decision and a good pass and Doubs let him down. Credit to Jayden Reed to finish the play.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
Jordan love was not good. Even his two td passes were a could be int and a pinball.

But the big thing was every thing was short. The game plan by mlf was designed that way but it was designed that way because of loves accuracy issues.
according to stuff i've read a lot of teams are doing the dink and dunk approach with the forward pass this season, so it's not just because of Love's deep pass accuracy issues, which to me are more about wr chemistry on some of the pitches anyway.

doubt we've gotten Rodgers talent level replacement, but then we shouldn't expect that, imho given more consistent blocking, Jones, a little better play from WR's and Love can guide this offense to play off level ability, he'll just need that more then the old QB did years back, to soon yet to give up on Love, he hasn't had a lot of help.

trying to think of a team in the last 100 years that had 3 HOF caliber QB's, besides us that is, ahhhh, I know where hoping for a 4th, some teams don't have any, some have two, off the top if my head, without looking it up, I'd guess where the only team with 3.

to tired, will reference later, if I remember, correct me at your leisure :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Oct 2023 20:07
bud fox wrote:

You gotta call it fairly. People think I’m negative but I’m a tough grader and call things as I see it. That first TD was an absolutely &%$@ pass and Doubs bailed him out.

The second was a good decision and a good pass and Doubs let him down. Credit to Jayden Reed to finish the play.
I have to admit, your evals have often been accurate, some to tough, Randle, Savage, when your a D&D team then you have to cross train positions with the best available 11, Randal was actually a safety, but we needed a CB, Savage imo has the mentality of a SS, but lacks that physicality required of the position, poor picks in your eyes, necessity picks in mine.

agree Doubs needed to sit on that route, and it was a tough pass, still think that Love needs to put some touch on the short passes at times, that side arm flicker though is hard to bat down, and he seems pretty accurate throwing it, the first ehhhhhhhh, got lucky on that one, like the fight in Doubs to hang on, if a couple other receivers elevate to what Doubs has been doing, this offense could spring to life.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Oct 2023 20:07
bud fox wrote:

It was more of a good def call and defender sticking to his responsibility. Ball was a little behind and high because Love probably didn't expect the end to sit in the zone. I don't see what Doubs did wrong. Window was there for ball not be behind.

It was a good decision that he didn't just launch the ball straight into the defender.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

bud fox wrote:
27 Oct 2023 00:44
It was more of a good def call and defender sticking to his responsibility. Ball was a little behind and high because Love probably didn't expect the end to sit in the zone. I don't see what Doubs did wrong. Window was there for ball not be behind.

It was a good decision that he didn't just launch the ball straight into the defender.
What Doubs did wrong was not catching a ball that he had both hands on! :lol:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
28 Oct 2023 23:44
I'am thankful that we didn't have to use a top 5 pick on a QB starting for us this season, or we'd ruin him just as we possibly have with Love

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Oct 2023 11:40
But Ive been told Gutnebumst is a good GM so...
You're so full of it.

Nobody said Gute has been good as of late, especially draft wise, just not as horrible as you like to paint him.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
29 Oct 2023 10:58
lupedafiasco wrote:
You're so full of it.

Nobody said Gute has been good as of late, especially draft wise, just not as horrible as you like to paint him.
No, he is right; I have said Gute is a good GM.

But I took time to evaluate his and others' criticisms of Gute, and upon review, I have to say that I now find them laughably worthless (as usual).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
You're so full of it.

“As of late”… please. I have been telling all of you just how bad he has been drafting for years and it falls on deaf ears. I get ridiculed and told I’m exaggerating and no one wanted to listen even when I do a year by year breakdown.

What it comes down to is this forum hates to admit I’m right no matter how often it happens.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

Hey lupe, don't take all the credit. I'm right 51% of 49% of 100% of the time too :aok:

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

I enjoy how Love tries to look so cool and athletic like he has everything under control after he gets up after winging it 25 yds out of bounds, his best play :lol:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I am pretty close to officially changing my position on Jordan Love and saying that I was wrong. I just don't see it. He is horribly inaccurate, even on the easy throws like swing passes to RB's and TE's. The offense isn't all his fault but I think I've seen enough where I am good with saying it just isn't going to work out and we should do anything possible to get a top 4 pick in the draft and use that on a QB.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Oct 2023 11:36
APB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
You're so full of it.

“As of late”… please. I have been telling all of you just how bad he has been drafting for years and it falls on deaf ears. I get ridiculed and told I’m exaggerating and no one wanted to listen even when I do a year by year breakdown.

What it comes down to is this forum hates to admit I’m right no matter how often it happens.
It's normal, these forums are all the same in the respect that there is always a handful of died in the wool homers who will support the FO even when it has obviously made some poor decisions, once those poor decisions become main page news only then will they admit it, but with the cavat that they suspected the decisions where bad right from the start, but, no one is perfect, when it's pointed out that 2 of the GM's drafts where near complete busts of the 4 drafts he's had, we hear well, 50% is only half bad, all ya can do is shake your head, or do this :bkw:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

good article, team fit really makes a difference for a puppy QB, our problem is with so many issues, health, lack of experienced talent, poor supporting cast, we can't supply anything like a GOOD fit for Love, so it is still hard to affectively grade Love.

his simple view of the quarterback position is that many players fail simply because they aren't good enough, but, there's a stronger argument to be made that team fit might be the most essential component of all these QB's

"It plays a big role," said Tannehill, the eighth overall pick in the 2012 draft who never quite found his footing in Miami before discovering success in Tennessee the last two seasons. "First and foremost, the guys around you, the people you lean on to make plays have a big part in (a quarterback's success). The staff, the system, the organization -- it all goes hand in hand. When you're in a place that realizes your skill set and takes advantage of it in an offense that shows what you can do, it's huge. When you're in a place where you have that, it's a lot of fun."

As much as we talk about which quarterbacks are elite -- or who deserves to have nine-figure contracts heaped upon them -- most signal-callers in this league need plenty of help to succeed. The last two offseasons have provided ample evidence of that, as increasingly more teams are doing whatever it takes to create that ideal union between player and club.

We've seen top-five draft picks being traded by their respective franchises (Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Sam Darnold), aging veterans struggling to find their footing in new places (Cam Newton) and formerly inconsistent signal-callers hitting their stride after coaching changes (Baker Mayfield, Derek Carr). The overwhelming takeaway from all these situations: Chemistry, comfort and continuity mean a hell of a lot more than sheer ability for those lining up under center.

It's worth wondering if Buffalo's Josh Allen would've gone from a raw talent to an MVP candidate in only three years if he hadn't landed with a Bills team that knew exactly how to develop his blend of athleticism and arm strength. Seattle's Russell Wilson became a star early in his career by leading a team that relied heavily on a strong run game and a staunch defense, while Baltimore's Lamar Jackson and Arizona's Kyler Murray had spread offensive schemes tailored to fit their playmaking potential. Carolina also has an enlightened view of how best to use Darnold, the third overall pick in the 2018 draft, after acquiring him in a recent trade from the New York Jets, with Panthers head coach Matt Rhule saying, "One man can't do it alone."

https://www.nfl.com/news/sidelines/tale ... ess-in-nfl

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Wasn't sure where to put this, so will put it here.

I've been thinking about all of the WRs seemingly regressing. The not running the right routes, making correct adjustments based on defensive alignment, etc. Everyone got on AR for not throwing to guy he didn't "trust." The WR knew that if they didn't show they knew what they were doing and were in the right spot at the right time, they wouldn't get the ball. There is no such consequence with Love. So I wonder how much the WR are actually studying and trying to get the mental part of the game down? With route running and decisions you see even Doubs and Watson regressing from when AR was QB.

Did AR take it too far? Sure, that could be argued. But right now there is no "stick" (not getting the ball) if the WR screw up, so we're seeing them screw up a lot.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:51

I've been thinking about all of the WRs seemingly regressing. The not running the right routes, making correct adjustments based on defensive alignment, etc. Everyone got on AR for not throwing to guy he didn't "trust." The WR knew that if they didn't show they knew what they were doing and were in the right spot at the right time, they wouldn't get the ball. There is no such consequence with Love. So I wonder how much the WR are actually studying and trying to get the mental part of the game down? With route running and decisions you see even Doubs and Watson regressing from when AR was QB.

Did AR take it too far? Sure, that could be argued. But right now there is no "stick" (not getting the ball) if the WR screw up, so we're seeing them screw up a lot.
Not too mention, Watson just isn't going to be very good. The die-hard Packer fan in me wants him too kick ass, but my humble eye test tells me different.
He is a Great (tremendous top speed) athlete trying to learn and play WR. I want and the Packers need great WRs who are good athletes. The former example almost never works it seems. :bkw: IMO, Watson is/or will be a bust considering where he was drafted. He will never sniff the career of Jennings, Jordy or Davante. Its sucks because I wanted him to be great.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

MY_TAKE wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:18
wallyuwl wrote:

Not too mention, Watson just isn't going to be very good. The die-hard Packer fan in me wants him too kick ass, but my humble eye test tells me different.
He is a Great (tremendous top speed) athlete trying to learn and play WR. I want and the Packers need great WRs who are good athletes. The former example almost never works it seems. :bkw: IMO, Watson is/or will be a bust considering where he was drafted. He will never sniff the career of Jennings, Jordy or Davante. Its sucks because I wanted him to be great.
A lot of us said the same thing about Davante in 2015. I still think Watson will be good. We're also not using him in ways that puts him in position to succeed. I haven't seen any jet sweeps called for him this year. Or how about some presnap movement by the goal line. It seems like we're just sending him on deep routes every play.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

wallyuwl wrote:

That WR (and OL) sloppiness you're talking about is why I really question the ability of our assistant coaches to actually teach. It should not be on Rodgers or Love to teach basic 101 stuff.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

this is such a easy game at the pro level, :rotf:

come on you guys, only about 8 % ( ultra conservative guess ) of college players get to wear a pro uniform, and we have so many things going wrong, I agree these WR's need to do better, but so does every other facet of this team,we have OL wifs on every play to go with receiver wifs, pretty hard to point a finger as the main reasdon we stink.