Cheese Curds - News Around the League 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lake shark wrote:
30 Aug 2024 15:15
I don’t think Purdy has reached his ceiling. He does have physical limitations but so did Brady. He’s already way better than Jimmy G. especially in terms of awareness, accuracy and professionalism. I would not bank on him getting figured out or regressing.
Agreed, I think Purdy has a similar quality as Brady where his eyes (ability to read the defense and find his open guy quickly) are elite, and with experience he will get even more advanced in that area. Brady wasn't the most athletically gifted but that trait alone made him the GOAT.

I'm not saying Purdy is the next TB12 but I do think his eyes alone will make him a top QB in the league for a very long time.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Labrev wrote:
30 Aug 2024 15:30
lake shark wrote:
30 Aug 2024 15:15
I don’t think Purdy has reached his ceiling. He does have physical limitations but so did Brady. He’s already way better than Jimmy G. especially in terms of awareness, accuracy and professionalism. I would not bank on him getting figured out or regressing.
Agreed, I think Purdy has a similar quality as Brady where his eyes (ability to read the defense and find his open guy quickly) are elite, and with experience he will get even more advanced in that area. Brady wasn't the most athletically gifted but that trait alone made him the GOAT.

I'm not saying Purdy is the next TB12 but I do think his eyes alone will make him a top QB in the league for a very long time.
I don't think he has a very strong arm. He is also 6'1", which isn't undersized but also is not big. At that height, I think a QB is going to need some type of special athletic trait in order to really shine. I don't think he has that.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I think Purdy is a decent QB paired with good offensive system and exceptional playmakers at every position and a very good Oline. Hard not to be successful. I don't think he's anywhere near guys like TB or Rodgers level.

When he takes a team with a marginal line, place fillers at RB and just a WR or 2 and off the shelf TE's to an NFCCG, maybe I'll take notice. But he looks pretty average overall to me on a good day.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

He is in the top half of QBs IMO. But he is not elite and I don't believe he will get much better. He is kind of a TUA guy to me. Can put up some numbers with great talent but with lesser talent could struggle.
Off the top of my head QBS I think I would take before him.

Jordan Love
Jared Goff
Caleb Williams
Dak Prescott
Kirk Cousins if healthy
P. Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
CJ stroud
Jalen Hurts
Stafford
Rodgers
Joe Burrow.

There is 12 I thought of quickly. He is probably right in 13-15 for me.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

I'd take Kirk and Dak Prescott off that list.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Trudge wrote:
31 Aug 2024 11:56
I'd take Kirk and Dak Prescott off that list.
Me too. Neither are or will ever be more than a JAG. And so is Purdy, a JAG

Purdy is proof that an average or even below average QB can make it to the SB if you devote the crazy QB money to the rest of the team.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

MY_TAKE wrote:
31 Aug 2024 10:42
He is in the top half of QBs IMO. But he is not elite and I don't believe he will get much better. He is kind of a TUA guy to me. Can put up some numbers with great talent but with lesser talent could struggle.

Jordan Love
Jared Goff
Caleb Williams
Dak Prescott
Kirk Cousins if healthy
P. Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
CJ stroud
Jalen Hurts
Stafford
Rodgers
Joe Burrow.

I missed Josh Allen. He would be a no- brainer.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

MY_TAKE wrote:
31 Aug 2024 10:42

Jordan Love
Jared Goff
Caleb Williams
Dak Prescott
Kirk Cousins if healthy
P. Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
CJ stroud
Jalen Hurts
Stafford
Rodgers
Joe Burrow.

I'd take Love off that list. He doesn't have enough games behind him to be on that list. Put it this way. Love is 8-3 in games the Packers Defense gave up 22 points or less. He is 1-6 in games the Packers Defense gave up 23 points or more. He needs to do better than that if he is to be considered a top QB.

Williams is a rookie. Has shown nothing. Shouldn't be there.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Raptorman wrote:
02 Sep 2024 17:20
I'd take Love off that list. He doesn't have enough games behind him to be on that list. Put it this way. Love is 8-3 in games the Packers Defense gave up 22 points or less. He is 1-6 in games the Packers Defense gave up 23 points or more. He needs to do better than that if he is to be considered a top QB.
Goodness you're desperate to believe this aren't you

He played ten straight games during which time he led the league in virtually everything. He's in the top half of QBs without question. I love seeing division rivals like this. It's just hilarious. Have a great year, man.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Sep 2024 17:34
Raptorman wrote:
02 Sep 2024 17:20
Goodness you're desperate to believe this aren't you

He played ten straight games during which time he led the league in virtually everything. He's in the top half of QBs without question. I love seeing division rivals like this. It's just hilarious. Have a great year, man.
Yup, he's the next coming of Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers. I love how one player shouldn't be on there, but another who hasn't played a down in the NFL is already supposed to be better. Love 2023 vs Cousins 2022. Yeah, Cousins sucks. Just a JAG. Thank God we got rid of him. The quality of a QB isn't measured when his defense gives up less than 18 points a game, (they should win 85% of those games) it's measured when his defense gives up 24+ points a game. Love isn't even close to being a quality QB in that category. Now, he may be, we shall see. (FWIW, Cousins sucks in that category as well. Most QBs do)

Code: Select all

Love		    Cousins
 17 	G	      17 
 15 	AV	      13 
 9-8-0 	QBrec	   13-4-0 
 64.2 	Cmp%	     65.9 
 4159 	Pass Yds     4547 
 7.2 	Pass Y/D     7.1 
 244.6 	Pass Y/G   267.5 
 32 	Pass TD       29 
 11 	Int           14 
 96.1 	Rate	    92.5 
 50 	Rush Att      31 
 247 	Rush Yds      97 
 4.9 	Rush Y/A     3.1 
 4 	Rush TD        2 

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

You just argued that Jordan Love doesn't belong on a list of the top half of QBs in the league on a Packers forum.

Then when that was pointed out, you answered about Kirk Cousins? Who, by the way, plenty of people would put in the top half the league (though this particular post did not put him above Brock Purdy)

So yeah. Hilarious? Desperate? Hopes and prayers from a rival fan? I stand by it.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Sep 2024 20:16
You just argued that Jordan Love doesn't belong on a list of the top half of QBs in the league on a Packers forum.

Then when that was pointed out, you answered about Kirk Cousins? Who, by the way, plenty of people would put in the top half the league (though this particular post did not put him above Brock Purdy)

So yeah. Hilarious? Desperate? Hopes and prayers from a rival fan? I stand by it.
Desperate? Yeah, no. Let's see what Mister Love does this year. Let me know when he gets to that magic number of 30% wins when his defense gives up 24 points or more. See, it's easy to win when the defense only gives up 18 points or less. Ask Starr, Brady, Montana, and Mahomes. Not so easy when you have to score more than 24 points to win.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Raptorman wrote:
02 Sep 2024 20:45
YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Sep 2024 20:16

Desperate? Yeah, no. Let's see what Mister Love does this year. Let me know when he gets to that magic number of 30% wins when his defense gives up 24 points or more. See, it's easy to win when the defense only gives up 18 points or less. Ask Starr, Brady, Montana, and Mahomes. Not so easy when you have to score more than 24 points to win.
:lol:

It's giving bears fan, honestly.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Raptorman wrote:
Let me know when he gets to that magic number of 30% wins when his defense gives up 24 points or more.
How many QBs live up to this 30% benchmark when their defense gives up 24+ points.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Sep 2024 20:56
Raptorman wrote:
Let me know when he gets to that magic number of 30% wins when his defense gives up 24 points or more.
How many QBs live up to this 30% benchmark when their defense gives up 24+ points.
No point buying into his shifted goal posts.

The post in question is not claiming Love is an elite MVP-caliber player. Raptor asked that Love be removed from a list of QBs that "off the top of [one poster]'s head" were more talented or better players than Brock Purdy and that are "in the top half" of QBs in the league.

Raptor is claiming that Love is not among the top 12-16 QBs in the league. It's the easiest take to take down. It's an argument ridiculous enough to merit ridicule. You don't need to dig down into the random arbitrary metrics he's decided matter to trash that take. He's digging in because he doesn't want to take the L. Or he truly has convinced himself that Jordan Love just isn't that good--the copium of it all.

But we agree: let's see what "Mister Love" does this year. I will enjoy watching him succeed even more in the context of imagining Vikings fans just like Raptor also watch what he does this year, wondering when denial will give way to acceptance. Thinking of the anger that occurs in between.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Also, it is certainly fair to say that Love may turn out to be in the Lions-Stafford Vikings-Cousins realm of player. He may not win any Super Bowls or MVPs. We don't know. I think he's got the ability to be much better than that, but there ARE still unknowns.

But those guys--Stafford and Cousins--are QBs that belong in the top half of the league; and when Stafford left Detroit, he moved even higher. It's ok to admit and acknowledge uncertainty about the development of a 1-year starter, even one who had among the best QB play in the league for a ten-week stretch.

But the desperation comes into play when you start saying he hasn't even proven he belongs in THAT tier yet? Yes he has. Yes he did. His floor is already there.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Not many. I'll have to dig it up.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Raptorman wrote:
02 Sep 2024 21:45
Pckfn23 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Not many. I'll have to dig it up.
Absolute proof that this was an arbitrary nonsense metric. You don't even know who it applies to! I love to see it.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Sep 2024 21:15
Pckfn23 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
No point buying into his shifted goal posts.

The post in question is not claiming Love is an elite MVP-caliber player. Raptor asked that Love be removed from a list of QBs that "off the top of [one poster]'s head" were more talented or better players than Brock Purdy and that are "in the top half" of QBs in the league.

Raptor is claiming that Love is not among the top 12-16 QBs in the league. It's the easiest take to take down. It's an argument ridiculous enough to merit ridicule. You don't need to dig down into the random arbitrary metrics he's decided matter to trash that take. He's digging in because he doesn't want to take the L. Or he truly has convinced himself that Jordan Love just isn't that good--the copium of it all.

But we agree: let's see what "Mister Love" does this year. I will enjoy watching him succeed even more in the context of imagining Vikings fans just like Raptor also watch what he does this year, wondering when denial will give way to acceptance. Thinking of the anger that occurs in between.
I noticed no one mentioned Tua? Why is that? He's not elite?