Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

NFL doesn't even appear to be considering the bubble.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Waldo wrote:
29 Jul 2020 12:31

Feels like it would be almost impossible to pull off with the length of the season and the amount of people on a nfl team compared to an nba roster.

Props to nba for making it work up to this point tho.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Jul 2020 12:39
Waldo wrote:

Feels like it would be almost impossible to pull off with the length of the season and the amount of people on a nfl team compared to an nba roster.

Props to nba for making it work up to this point tho.
Think the MLB is probably regretting not doing it at this point though. Couldn't even make it a full week without games being cancelled.
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Waldo wrote:
It’s impossible. Field conditions would be terrible. The NBA doesn’t really have to deal with that playing on the same courts.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Geronimo Allison opted out for the Lions, as well.

The Funchess-Allison comparisons continue.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Aug 2020 15:47

Allison was a hard worker. Tough player. Had to earn everything he’s ever gotten in the NFL.

Funchess has never taken the NFL serious. He’s lazy and a bum and took a free check. He’s finessed two teams into signing him.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
02 Aug 2020 15:49
YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Aug 2020 15:47

Allison was a hard worker. Tough player. Had to earn everything he’s ever gotten in the NFL.

Funchess has never taken the NFL serious. He’s lazy and a bum and took a free check. He’s finessed two teams into signing him.
Thats a good point. A team with good WRs would never have had Alison on the field as much as we did. And he wasnt very good. But one must admit he had grade A effort. Try Hard to a fault, but he tried.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Cardinals the latest MLB team to get hit and we just finished up week 2 of the MLB season... Whatever they are doing isn't working and the NFL needs to pay attention.

If they expect to go into the season and expect it to be business as usually with testing as their only real precaution, it will be a short lived season. They either need to go the multiple bubble route (bubbles by division then bubbles with divisions playing each other) or they need to go 2 weeks between games. Some revenue is better than none...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I'll probably get banned for this take but here goes. The elephant in the room is that even though players are testing positive, none of them are hospitalized. The virus just isn't as severe as we are led to believe. Not sure why we are saying everything must be shutdown in sports when players test positive. We don't even know if they are showing symptoms. Protect the elderly and most vulnerable but these guys can play and stay away from family members and friends who are vulnerable. Then go donate blood to help protect others once they test negative.

My parents are 89 & 87 and I protect them from me because I am out and about for work. It's not rocket science, just common sense.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

packman114 wrote:
04 Aug 2020 08:16
I'll probably get banned for this take but here goes. The elephant in the room is that even though players are testing positive, none of them are hospitalized. The virus just isn't as severe as we are led to believe. Not sure why we are saying everything must be shutdown in sports when players test positive. We don't even know if they are showing symptoms. Protect the elderly and most vulnerable but these guys can play and stay away from family members and friends who are vulnerable. Then go donate blood to help protect others once they test negative.

My parents are 89 & 87 and I protect them from me because I am out and about for work. It's not rocket science, just common sense.
The problem is a lot of athletes don't have common sense.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
04 Aug 2020 10:08
packman114 wrote:

The problem is a lot of athletes don't have common sense.
And they don't stay away from others and their families. And it isn't just about symptoms and death, there are long term effects of it, even among this demographic.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:

so then you expect people that will play, to quarantine themselves from family for the season? who's going to go along with anything like that, you say your protecting your parents,and I applaud you for that, but it's not the same for a young husband with young children, those are illogical demands, and people pass this on and don't even realize they have it to people just like your parents.

I realize there are others, whether willfully, or simply because there not thinking will/can infect me, so it is important that I do all I can to protect myself, and believe me that is not easy when so many have thrown caution to the wind and act so defiant to any sort of rationality when it comes to spreading this disease, every state that lifted quarantines early has been forced to reinact guarantines due to drastic increases of infection, now we finally see more regulations concerning the wearing of masks, about time.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Please move this discussion to the Round Table or thread will be locked.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Another big'ne.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wow, even if that's new money/new years (likely) that's still a 7-year $97 million contract for $13.86 M/year.

Actually, that seems like a pretty solid deal; and it's probably structured to keep 21 manageable

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I feel like teams who are patient and keep a little free cap going into next year might get a lot of really really good looking 1 year bargains on a lot of really good players.

These new contracts are being thrown out like the salary cap is going to keep rising at the rate is has been over the last decade.

Just not gunna be money to go around for everyone next offseason, and players who are going to get underpaid won't be likely to take long year deals.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
12 Aug 2020 15:22
I feel like teams who are patient and keep a little free cap going into next year might get a lot of really really good looking 1 year bargains on a lot of really good players.

These new contracts are being thrown out like the salary cap is going to keep rising at the rate is has been over the last decade.

Just not gunna be money to go around for everyone next offseason, and players who are going to get underpaid won't be likely to take long year deals.
I strongly feel the opposite.

Well, I do agree that teams with a little space can get bargains next year. BUT, the teams throwing out the big deals now are throwing out LONG term deals. They are being made with full awareness of next year's cap situation. They are very clearly attempting to spread out their short-term liabilities into longer-term cap growth.

Because after the COVID hit next year, the cap WILL grow with the TV deals. It will grow like it did the past ten years. It will potentially spike 30-40% in one year if they don't smooth out the proceeds (coming off a historically and non-repeatable downturn in 21 plus a huge new tv deal hitting the books in 22).

The fact that these teams keep doing these very long deals should be evidence that the people in the know are bracing for the short term impact with full expectations that there is money always money in the banana stand (tv deals) coming down the pike.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Aug 2020 15:42
Because after the COVID hit next year, the cap WILL grow with the TV deals. It will grow like it did the past ten years. It will potentially spike 30-40% in one year if they don't smooth out the proceeds (coming off a historically and non-repeatable downturn in 21 plus a huge new tv deal hitting the books in 22).

The fact that these teams keep doing these very long deals should be evidence that the people in the know are bracing for the short term impact with full expectations that there is money always money in the banana stand (tv deals) coming down the pike.
https://www.timesunion.com/sports/artic ... 472702.php

If this doesn't seriously concern the NFL, it should....

Granted, this is more of a long term thing than short term, and baseball is definitely bearing/going to bear the brunt more than Football, at least early.

Covid is only making it worse, but...

Kids these days just aren't in to old school sports. If you start seriously looking at the revenue generation from esports, not just the competitions but also the huge number of streamers, its approaching other pro sports (Twitch just signed a streamer for >10M, Fortnite worlds prize money was in the millions for winners).

The NFL needs to really start getting serious about attracting a youth audience, because it is failing miserably. Their nonexistant streaming footprint is going to kill them otherwise. This next round of deals is make or break for the league long term. They need to ditch the DirecTV "monopoly" (sit on it and ignore) on streaming rights because while it has made them money in the short term, it is killing their long term prospects far more than the concussion issue is/has been. Noone under 30 has cable TV or satellite TV, nor any interest in getting either. The younger cohort is going to be even harder. Few under 16 have any interest in watching anything other than streamers.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Waldo wrote:
12 Aug 2020 16:17
Kids these days just aren't in to old school sports. If you start seriously looking at the revenue generation from esports, not just the competitions but also the huge number of streamers, its approaching other pro sports (Twitch just signed a streamer for >10M, Fortnite worlds prize money was in the millions for winners).

The NFL needs to really start getting serious about attracting a youth audience, because it is failing miserably. Their nonexistant streaming footprint is going to kill them otherwise. This next round of deals is make or break for the league long term. They need to ditch the DirecTV "monopoly" (sit on it and ignore) on streaming rights because while it has made them money in the short term, it is killing their long term prospects far more than the concussion issue is/has been. Noone under 30 has cable TV or satellite TV, nor any interest in getting either. The younger cohort is going to be even harder. Few under 16 have any interest in watching anything other than streamers.
I 100% think the NFL should be concerned about longer-term viability; the golden goose doesn't lay forever and football can easily go the way of Boxing and the way baseball is heading--I think this is especially true if they don't work to speed the pace of play and cut down breaks in the game and tv stream.

But that's irrelevant to the TV deals that will be negotiated over the next two years and the current viewership trends that have actually increased despite all the poltical drama and posturing about it. As long as the NFL keeps airing 45 or so of the top 50 rated broadcasts a year, they have absolutely zero risk of a declining cap or even slowing cap growth. COVID is the only thing bringing them down in 2021. I would bet my hat on a 30% cap increase from 2021 to 2022 if I weren't concerned that they'd make a side deal to smooth the growth over multiple years like they did last time around (for the first time)

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Waldo wrote:
12 Aug 2020 16:17
YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Aug 2020 15:42

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/artic ... 472702.php

If this doesn't seriously concern the NFL, it should....

Granted, this is more of a long term thing than short term, and baseball is definitely bearing/going to bear the brunt more than Football, at least early.

Covid is only making it worse, but...

Genius move for Pettiti. Activision Blizzard has probably the 4th or 5th best eSport in the world with the Overwatch League. I started watching with the lack of sports going on and I have to say it’s incredibly exciting between the top teams. They do a tournament playoff once per month with big money on the line. Activision also has Call if Duty which is still popular.

Ultimately the NFL has nothing to worry about. Living in Texas now football is engrained into the south’s lifestyle. I will say the NBA does ever a better product. It’s faster paced, players are more recognizeable as there aren’t so many to know, and overall the NBA has better storylines than the NFL does. The reason why the NFL isn’t a world wide sport like all the others is it’s ads. I’ve been all over the world and whenever you try to bring up the NFL to someone out of country they will tell you they can’t watch because it’s one long commercial interrupted by small breaks of football. Which is honestly true. That is always the 1st gripe from anyone who says they can’t get into it.