Eagles @ Packers GDT - 3:25 - CBS

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Dec 2020 12:16
Man he completely blew past Sanders on that first run.

But holy crap Kamal Martin is fun to watch. I mean this guy is that "juice" we all desperately want on this defense.
agreed, would be great to play him more, but Pettine likes the lighter grouping for coverage, but if Green is going to miss a game then we might as well force feed Martin and live with his lack of experience.

sometimes I think I'am more influenced with the hustle and it blinds me that he often over shoots the play side leaving his gap responsibility and becomes blocked out to change direction and get back to the cut back gap he vacated prior, he thinks to much, course so does Kirksey, Barnes, etc. etc. I agreed with whomever it was that wanted to fire the lbers coach, the position to often looks to be playing mass confusion, lack of player communication, neither lber sure what the other lber is going to do, broken plays, as I said, fix up that position with at least ONE true blue MIB and it will take this defense to the rating zone you desire.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Dec 2020 13:25
go pak go wrote:
08 Dec 2020 13:11
If you are looking at the "likely way to beat the Packers" in the postseason, we will likely be facing RBs who can make big plays in the pass game with MN, NO's, LAR?, and KC.

Kamara and Cook have shredded us. I just wonder how we can combat that vs a Tyreek Hill.
I actually texted a friend saying I'd rather face the Chiefs without Hill than the Chiefs without Mahomes.

Last year when we beat the Chiefs with Matt Moore, we played defense in a way that infuriated everyone--holding safeties back, passively avoiding big plays. We did that because of Tyreek Hill. You can't leave him single covered for a single play. It's an absurd field-tilting effect.

Mahomes is a god. But if we can cover his receivers, we can hold up.
yep, and the thing is both, that you designate to cover Hill, have to be very good, other wise he'll have those two defenders running into each other, I saw him do it the couple times I watched him this year, guy has great body control, I agree if you can limit Hill, get a good pass rush going, and I think our defense would fare ok, I'd use Jaire and Savage or the next best CB not named King.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
08 Dec 2020 14:26
YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:
If you are looking at the "likely way to beat the Packers" in the postseason, we will likely be facing RBs who can make big plays in the pass game with MN, NO's, LAR?, and KC.

Kamara and Cook have shredded us. I just wonder how we can combat that vs a Tyreek Hill.
I actually texted a friend saying I'd rather face the Chiefs without Hill than the Chiefs without Mahomes.

Last year when we beat the Chiefs with Matt Moore, we played defense in a way that infuriated everyone--holding safeties back, passively avoiding big plays. We did that because of Tyreek Hill. You can't leave him single covered for a single play. It's an absurd field-tilting effect.

yep, and the thing is both, that you designate to cover Hill, have to be very good, other wise he'll have those two defenders running into each other, I saw him do it the couple times I watched him this year, guy has great body control, I agree if you can limit Hill, get a good pass rush going, and I think our defense would fare ok, I'd use Jaire and Savage or the next best CB not named King.
I actually wouldn’t be that concerned with Hill. Obviously it’s a tough cover for Alexander but it’s a least a close matchup in terms of athleticism and physicality.

The concern is Kelce for me. I’m not sure how we cover him.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Dec 2020 16:20
I actually wouldn’t be that concerned with Hill. Obviously it’s a tough cover for Alexander but it’s a least a close matchup in terms of athleticism and physicality.

If you're not concerned with the fastest guy in the league who is tied for the league lead in TDs and is second in receiving yards, and flat out changes the way defenses can operate... you are fired as board GM.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Dec 2020 16:28
lupedafiasco wrote:

If you're not concerned with the fastest guy in the league who is tied for the league lead in TDs and is second in receiving yards, and flat out changes the way defenses can operate... you are fired as board GM.
To be fair, that would be more of a coaching issue and he never claimed to be a competent coach. :lol:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:

Fear no more.

Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 510 times
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Not his best, but he’s been setting the bar really damn high recently

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Dec 2020 16:28
lupedafiasco wrote:

Obviously Hill is a good player. I’m not saying he’s not. I just think our strength is our secondary in pass coverage. We dont have the linebackers to cover Kelce. I’ll trust Alexander in an all pro year over Kirksey, Martin, Amos, or Greene covering Kelce one on one.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
08 Dec 2020 18:40
my favorite version of "don't mock the belt" was in ATL in 2010 when John Abrams did it... and then GB blew them out of the water
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Dec 2020 18:54
Obviously Hill is a good player. I’m not saying he’s not. I just think our strength is our secondary in pass coverage. We dont have the linebackers to cover Kelce. I’ll trust Alexander in an all pro year over Kirksey, Martin, Amos, or Greene covering Kelce one on one.
That's the thing. You literally can't go "one on one" in this game. You HAVE to keep your safeties back. You have to play defense differently. And that's because of Hill.

If you mess up with Kelce, he'll make you pay, certainly.

If you mess up with Hill, he'll make you pay with a TD from anywhere on the field.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
08 Dec 2020 18:54
BF004 wrote:
08 Dec 2020 18:40
my favorite version of "don't mock the belt" was in ATL in 2010 when John Abrams did it... and then GB blew them out of the water
Single most fun night of my Packer fan hood if not never in my life. That T-Will pick was insane.

Also, so no joke we were in Chicago the following week and I have told the story before that I was in line at a hotel lobby to get some food and drinks before the game and run into a couple who say they're from Alaska. And my first response is no way! Yeah we have a lot of Alaskan Packers fans what town you from?!....and they respond North Pole! And I'm like oh goodness!!! Daryn Colledge is from the North Pole! and she goes...yeah. He is my son.... And then I go down a rabbit hole exposing how much I know about Daryn Colledge because of his Packers.com show the Colledge Experience. Proably freaked her out but it was super fun.

But anyways....so we are sitting in the 4th quarter in Chicago and I say to my buddy, "Jaris. We need a turnover here. Caleb Haney is maing me nervous. We need AJ to get a play for us." and my buddy Jaris says..."Nope. it's gonna be BJ Raji interception. and he's joking and I say don't be selfish Jaris that's ridiculous. We just need AJ to pick off the ball on a short pass in the middle. NOPE!!! It's gonna be BJ Raji!!!" 2 plays later.....

Unfortunately we were on the other side of the field so couldn't see as well. But I will never forget that.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I was literally on a transatlantic flight to Afghanistan during the Falcons playoff game, but I did break the rules and wear my lucky Packers socks under my boots. SO YOU'RE WELCOME (for the socks, which were clearly the difference-makers)

Still only seen the highlights.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Same. I actually think Tyreek Hill is more important to that offense than Mahomes. I actually think that Mahomes is largely a product of his supporting cast plus Andy Reid. However, without all that he would still be a top 10 or even top 5 QB. He just wouldn't be the legend that he is currently.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Another video montage competitor.

Competition breeds results :beer2:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Rookie Kamal Martin put himself in position to make several plays against the Eagles, but he wasn’t able to bring down the ball carrier. Poor tackling efficiency has plagued some of the younger players on the defense during Mike Pettine’s regime.

On the opening play Sunday, Martin was left unblocked and flew into the backfield, but he was unable to hold on as RB Miles Sanders scampered away for 6 yards.

Later in the game, another missed tackle yielded even worse results. On Jalen Reagor’s 73-yard punt return in the fourth quarter, Martin came in too hot and Reagor sidestepped him. Martin is showing speed and explosiveness, but he’s out of control and not finishing plays.

Four punts have been returned for touchdowns this NFL season, and two have been surrendered by the Packers.
The Packers defense racked up seven sacks and 28 total QB pressures on Sunday against Carson Wentz and Jalen Hurts, which is the most in a single game by Green Bay this season. The pressure came in a variety of ways: players winning one-on-one matchups and designed pressure calls from Pettine.

Second-year defensive tackle Kingsley Keke is leading the team in pressures among defensive tackles. Keke’s 18 pressures edge Kenny Clark’s 15 (missed three games). Keke had two sacks Sunday and produced those by beating future Hall-of-Famer Jason Peters.

Pettine has been using Darnell Savage on more pressure concepts over the past several games. Savage has the speed to dart into the backfield and close ground in a flash.

He was given the green light on a zone pressure early against the Eagles. Rashan Gary drops from the backside as Za’Darius Smith and Preston Smith open up an alley in the B gap for Savage to attack. Savage gets a big hit on Wentz just as he releases the pass. Typically, quick-game passing prevents the QB from being hit, but the blitz was executed properly keeping Savage and his 4.4 speed free:

For the third time this season, Rodgers finished a game with zero scrambles. Playing within the structure and from the pocket has kept scrambles to a minimum this season and also is keeping the 37-year old QB upright and healthy.

Rodgers now has 16 scrambles in 12 games, averaging just over one a game. For perspective, in his MVP 2011 season, he scrambled 51 times through 17 games.
Alexander Island
There has been high praise for CB Jaire Alexander in his three NFL seasons. His speed, tenacity and press-man pedigree have brought comparisons to former All-Pro Darrelle Revis.

And Pettine, who was the defensive coordinator for Revis from 2009-12 while with the Jets, is now starting to use Alexander in similar ways.

Revis’ flexibility and ability to cover an opposing receiver in man-to-man coverage without any safety help allowed the defensive scheme to allocate help elsewhere. Revis hasn’t been shy about reminding today’s players what he was being asked to do:

[media]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENO7Wr1XkAE ... name=small[/media]

The Packers play more zone coverage than those Jets teams, but when they do play man-to-man, Pettine allows Alexander to play a similar style of coverage.

Here’s an example from Sunday. The Eagles are in a 3×1 set with Alexander in man coverage at the top of the screen playing in a Cover-1 defense. Cover 1 implies having a deep free safety, but look at the free safety on the opposite hash of the trips formation. This alignment allows him to help the other corner (Kevin King) and the inside defenders. This leaves Alexander one-on-one with a tremendous amount of space.

Ball production, matchups, man vs. zone, safety help are all factors in determining the top cornerbacks in the NFL. Alexander is undoubtedly in the conversation with players like Stephon Gilmore, Jalen Ramsey and Tre White.
The Packers used two-TE sets when running the ball on Sunday against the Eagles. With Jace Sternberger leaving with a head injury, the two-TE group was occupied by Marcedes Lewis and Tonyan for most of the game.

If you remove the three victory formation kneel-downs at the end, the Packers ran the ball out of the 12-personnel set (two TE) on seven carries for 96 yards and a touchdown. Included in the 96 yards was the 77-yard highlight touchdown by Jones in the second half.

Despite being on the backside of the play, Lewis and Tonyan served critical roles on Jones’ TD run.

As Jones takes the snap, the safety rolls down immediately and forces Jones to cut the run back inside, thus making the backside blocks from the tight ends important. Lewis and Tonyan are responsible for blocking backside defensive end (Josh Sweat) and backside linebacker (Duke Riley) and seal both defenders from Jones.

The blocking from the WRs and TEs this season has been outstanding and allows flexibility and creativity with players who can handle multiple roles.Image
Are the Packers a quality third-down defense this season? The narrative around the defensive group seems to change on a drive-to-drive basis. The Packers’ defensive philosophy allows for high percentages of completions, but are they getting off the field?

Green Bay’s defense is 11th in third-down conversions at a rate of 38.7 percent. In 2019, it was 38.1 percent. But when you dive into particular third-down situations, there are some interesting results:

Third and long (6-plus yards): 16.9 percent (No. 1).

Third and medium (4-6 yards): 48.7 percent (22nd).

Third and short (1-3 yards): 69.7 percent (29th).

When opposing teams are in a true passing mode, the Packers are at their best. They deploy speedy subpackage units with extra defensive backs, and the pass rushers can get upfield without worrying about playing the run.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.87 MiB) Viewed 403 times
image.png
image.png
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Dec 2020 13:03
Are the Packers a quality third-down defense this season? The narrative around the defensive group seems to change on a drive-to-drive basis. The Packers’ defensive philosophy allows for high percentages of completions, but are they getting off the field?

Green Bay’s defense is 11th in third-down conversions at a rate of 38.7 percent. In 2019, it was 38.1 percent. But when you dive into particular third-down situations, there are some interesting results:

When opposing teams are in a true passing mode, the Packers are at their best. They deploy speedy subpackage units with extra defensive backs, and the pass rushers can get upfield without worrying about playing the run.
WHAT?!? :shock:

did NOT see that coming

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Dec 2020 13:03
Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Dec 2020 13:03

WHAT?!? :shock:

did NOT see that coming
Thank you for this! I heard about this from the Internets but couldn't find the source. Absolutely blew my mind.

I wonder if it takes into consideration of 3rd and long and the opponent getting close enough to then go for it on 4th down?

Or what about penalties? Does it grant a conversion via a defensive penalty on 3rd and long?
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
11 Dec 2020 14:27
I wonder if it takes into consideration of 3rd and long and the opponent getting close enough to then go for it on 4th down?

Or what about penalties? Does it grant a conversion via a defensive penalty on 3rd and long?
I'd bet it doesn't account for those, and that makes sense; does seem like we've had a decent amount of 3rd and long become 4th and short conversions. Huh. Still surprising.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Dec 2020 14:32
go pak go wrote:
11 Dec 2020 14:27

I'd bet it doesn't account for those, and that makes sense; does seem like we've had a decent amount of 3rd and long become 4th and short conversions. Huh. Still surprising.
Well the penalties killed us on 3rd and long vs Tampa and MN.

The 3rd down to 4th down killed us vs Indy.

Obviously we remember those 5 total plays because it cost us our only losses.
Yoop wrote: