Packers @ Bears GDT - Sunday - 1/3/2021 - 3:25 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Looks like the Bears dropped from the 16th draft pick to the 20th draft pick by nature of Arizona losing today. :aok:

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jan 2021 22:40
Looks like the Bears dropped from the 16th draft pick to the 20th draft pick by nature of Arizona losing today. :aok:
Bears made playoffs though right?

The worst is for those teams in the 5-7 win range that go from 6th pick into the teens with no potential for playoffs - devastating.

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Jan 2021 19:53
BF004 wrote:
03 Jan 2021 19:50
If you can’t enjoy this win; there can just be no joy in your lives.

What we do on the playoffs will independent joys or mournings. Enjoy this today, and tomorrow.
Today and tomorrow?! All week baby!
:banana: :clap: :beer2: :banana: :hail:
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

My only two thoughts, for now:

1. 1 of 5. No matter how well da Bears sustained drives (or that our D allowed them to...), they only closed on 1 of 5 trips into the RZ. That is about a good defense folks. Hold up any stat that you want, but when my D holds on 80% of those drives, I’m jacked about them.

2. Two short drives and then... In the third quarter, our offense laid an egg of two drives. About the time that we are fretting over that, Aaron and company kicked things into gear again. They resumed their unstoppable ways with determination. That is about a quality offense.

So, that’s two very good facets of our team, speaking to both sides of the ball.

Lest we gripe about this game, we need to remember that many other times, even with good teams on our side, that once momentum shifts to the home team, it’s too frequent that it stays there. This Packer squad wrestled the momentum back and they did it well. As da Bears tried to scratch and claw back, our guys pulled away.

This is a good team folks.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2021 21:35
go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2021 21:29
bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2021 21:26

Against the titans we won in passing yards, rushing yards, red zone attempts and the match.
It was easily the best defensive performance.

It was nothing like today's game in which we only won in red zone conversion which is often tied to the quality of the QB.

*If we play like we did against the titans we win the Superbowl. We do not if we play like we did against the bears.
I mean the Titans game was nearly a once in a decade performance. They were that good. To follow that up with a solid 16 point performance with 3 of those points coming on fumbled PR is pretty darned good.
Historically in the playoffs we have not been able to stop teams from scoring in the red zone. I don't like that the bears got into the red zone more than us.

Hopefully this team shows that 2010 all round performance we saw against the titans as I don't see any team stopping the packers with that Def.
I think our goal now for defense is hold opponents under 30.

Our offense needs to be at a spot where we can score +30 each of our next 3 games. I think our defense is good enough to do that.

Time for our MVP to do MVP things. Also need our running attack to come alive. My only real complaint yesterday was the MVS drop, not as stellar of a running attack as I was hoping and our poor tackling.

Our defense would have worked far better yesterday if we didn't allow 2nd efforts to pick up those extra 2 yards each time. 3rd and 3 is a lot different than 3rd and 5 when you know the opponent will go for it on 4th down each time.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Packers defensive rankings:

Total Yards Allowed: 9th at 334 yards per game
Total Pass Yards Allowed: 7th at 221 yards per game
Total Rush Yards Allowed: 13h at 113 yards per game

Total Points Allowed: 14th at 23.1 per game. (Note we are 7 points away from being 10th...also note we allowed 2 Punt Returns for TDs and essentially 2 pick 6's. Also note we allowed at least 4 STs plays that got the opponent in FG range)

I think it's good to call this a top 10 defense in the 2020 season. I also think we are clearly a top 5 to 8 defense in the month of December.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

We definitely seem to be peaking at the right time. Defense is playing much better and capable of winning a championship. STs are the one area we need to tighten up.

Best part of this team is they don't let one or two bad plays multiply. They are very resilient and this game was the perfect example of that.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2021 21:18
Today was the last game the Packers wore their white uniforms in 2020.

The NFC is the home team for the SB this year. We lost 1 game in our white uniforms in 2020 and it was in overtime vs the Colts.
Maybe we should wear the whites at home - unless it is snowing of course.... ;)

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2021 21:26
go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2021 20:57
bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2021 20:52

Sorry but it didn't work. We won yes but they got into the scoring zone more times than us. In the scoring zone you play a different def due to using the goal line etc

We won because Trubisky is bad and couldn't finish - also possible our red zone def played well. But it had nothing to do with allowing them to walk down the field and get into scoring position more times than us. If anything it was worse because we had a tired def in the redzone.

It was bad by def except for red zone but would have to watch to see if that just wasn't trubisky.
BUT RODGERS PLAYED GOD-MODE AM I RIGHT?!

Glad we have the narrative back in order that this team is garbage and doesn't deserve Rodgers. :roll:
Against the titans we won in passing yards, rushing yards, red zone attempts and the match.
It was easily the best defensive performance.

It was nothing like today's game in which we only won in red zone conversion which is often tied to the quality of the QB.

*If we play like we did against the titans we win the Superbowl. We do not if we play like we did against the bears.
Of course how many times did the bares have to go for it on 4th down yesterday?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pugger wrote:
04 Jan 2021 07:13
Six times.

We forced fifteen third downs, and they converted only six of them.

Then they went for it on an additional six tries and unfortunately got five of them.

Which means they actually ended up converting 11 of 15 third downs into first downs eventually.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
04 Jan 2021 00:21
My only two thoughts, for now:

1. 1 of 5. No matter how well da Bears sustained drives (or that our D allowed them to...), they only closed on 1 of 5 trips into the RZ. That is about a good defense folks. Hold up any stat that you want, but when my D holds on 80% of those drives, I’m jacked about them.

2. Two short drives and then... In the third quarter, our offense laid an egg of two drives. About the time that we are fretting over that, Aaron and company kicked things into gear again. They resumed their unstoppable ways with determination. That is about a quality offense.

So, that’s two very good facets of our team, speaking to both sides of the ball.

Lest we gripe about this game, we need to remember that many other times, even with good teams on our side, that once momentum shifts to the home team, it’s too frequent that it stays there. This Packer squad wrestled the momentum back and they did it well. As da Bears tried to scratch and claw back, our guys pulled away.

This is a good team folks.
I truly believe had MVS caught that long TD pass in the 3rd Chicago would have had to stop running the ball and they would have lost by more.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2021 06:48
bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2021 21:35
go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2021 21:29

I mean the Titans game was nearly a once in a decade performance. They were that good. To follow that up with a solid 16 point performance with 3 of those points coming on fumbled PR is pretty darned good.
Historically in the playoffs we have not been able to stop teams from scoring in the red zone. I don't like that the bears got into the red zone more than us.

Hopefully this team shows that 2010 all round performance we saw against the titans as I don't see any team stopping the packers with that Def.
I think our goal now for defense is hold opponents under 30.

Our offense needs to be at a spot where we can score +30 each of our next 3 games. I think our defense is good enough to do that.

Time for our MVP to do MVP things. Also need our running attack to come alive. My only real complaint yesterday was the MVS drop, not as stellar of a running attack as I was hoping and our poor tackling.

Our defense would have worked far better yesterday if we didn't allow 2nd efforts to pick up those extra 2 yards each time. 3rd and 3 is a lot different than 3rd and 5 when you know the opponent will go for it on 4th down each time.
I was disappointed by some of the tackling (esp. King at times) and Dillon not getting more touches. I suppose they did that because Williams is better at pass pro but Dillon is the better runner.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2021 06:57

Total Points Allowed: 14th at 23.1 per game. (Note we are 7 points away from being 10th...also note we allowed 2 Punt Returns for TDs and essentially 2 pick 6's. Also note we allowed at least 4 STs plays that got the opponent in FG range)

I think it's good to call this a top 10 defense in the 2020 season. I also think we are clearly a top 5 to 8 defense in the month of December.
Didn't someone say in September if we have a top 10 defense we can be a force with this offense?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Jan 2021 07:17
Pugger wrote:
04 Jan 2021 07:13
Six times.

We forced fifteen third downs, and they converted only six of them.

Then they went for it on an additional six tries and unfortunately got five of them.

Which means they actually ended up converting 11 of 15 third downs into first downs eventually.
We do have to thank the idiot bares coaches for throwing it on their last 4th down attempt. Why they decided to let Trubisky throw it there when it they only had 1 foot to get for the 1st is baffling, honestly.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Did we sustain any injuries yesterday?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

If it is important for us to call the defense a "top 10" defense. Fine. (sigh)

What I like to see is that the sacks, hurries, and turnovers will increase. That's important in January.

Right now, look at the guys who could potentially make game-changing plays like this. Both Safeties, Z, Gary, Clark, Jaire, and a perhaps couple of more. We see their timing on plays getting better each week, it seems. They game speed is good. I would hope that'll even get better.

The D has reason to believe it can make a difference in the playoffs - for the better.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pugger wrote:
04 Jan 2021 07:30
Did we sustain any injuries yesterday?
Gary disappeared... I assume that was injury related.

Read More. Post Less.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

I am honestly flabbergasted that there is someone who could complain about the defensive performance.

Here's your RZ trips:

1) We gave them the ball at the 40 to open the game on their scripted plays. A great drive for them yes, but one that they had to work extremely hard for - 14 play, 60 yards which included a 4th down conversion.

2) We gave them the ball on our 20 due to another ST mistake where we held them to 8 yards and a FG.

3) An end of the half drive where we up 21-7 and getting the ball at half and willing to let them burn clock. Another drive that they worked extremely hard for (13 play, 62 yards) that included another 4th down conversion + a FF that was negated by a dumb offsides + a dropped INT.

4) A good drive for the Bears that included the one big play of the game for them; it still only resulted in a FG.

5) End of game drive that didn't matter at all and we only cared about allowing the clock to continue to run - a drive that we still held them out of the EZ I might add.

I mean, crap - they are definitely only responsible for 13 points here, and you could argue that the ST was partially to blame for the first drive too.

Yoho and GPG have already pointed out the the Trubisky and the Bears O has not been bad the last month. And it was clear our defensive approach was to allow some of this as well, whether we all like it or not.

And finally (even though this means nothing), for the first time in a while, I actually believed that we would stop them on every drive. I haven't had that type of confidence in the D in a while.

Our offense doesn't need an elite defense, but I think we've been seeing a very good one form in the last few weeks - we're giving up 17.2 PPG since the beginning of Dec. I will confidently say that if our defense plays like it has the last two weeks, we can win the SB.
Last edited by kyle.mccarroll on 04 Jan 2021 08:37, edited 2 times in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:49
YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:45
We decided to play smallball and force long drives today, content that they would make more mistakes and finish fewer drives than we could. It was a great plana nd was accurate.

They converted FIVE of SIX 4th and shorts. They needed them. And at least 3 of those conversions came after successful stuffs on 3rd and short.

There was nothing scary or red flaggy about this game. We adjusted to our opponent and beat a division rival and playoff team by 19 points.
What is the reasoning behind letting them move the ball on long drives? What is the benefit? Tire our def - give our off less time.

They still got to the redzone more times than we did so it didn't really work because as soon as they get to the redzone it becomes redzone def
You count on Trubisky and Nagy to make a mistake. And they did. Twice in the 4th quarter with the interception and the failed 4th and 1 conversion.

I don't hate the strategy vs lower quality opponents. Everything had to go CHI's way based on their offensive attack. They had to be essentially 100% efficient.

Because they weren't, we dominated the game. Again. The only real thing I had issue with was us not tackling well. Too often we would let them fall forward or give them an extra 2 - 3 yards which made 3rd and 4th down far more manageable.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2021 06:57

I think ratings matter more for younger fans :lol: :lol:

actually when you take into consideration all the variables, and there are many, for most of the season we have struggled to keep a green dot on any of the ILB's and the guy thats worn it the most is a un drafted rookie, imo thats a huge reason this defense improved, Barnes ability to obviously play well, and ability to quickly pick up Pettines schemes.

remember we played a lot of base 5 man fronts against Tenn. I'am sure Pettine hated to have to do that, however other then Clark, who can stand up the OLman and keep them from blocking into the 2nd level the others just can't handle the double teams and get blown right back into our ILBs, and we get run on.

I think our defense when dialed up has been a top 10 unit, other then it consumes time and keeps Rodgers on the bench the yards between the 20's don't usually mean to much.

I think defense is so much harder to get great ratings from then offense, to many people need to play like one, so much of what your able to do depends on the play of those around you, everyone has to do there job almost flawlessly, one guy reacts slowly/poorly, and it becomes a chain reaction, if that repeats itself, confidence is shaken, players start 2nd guessing, pretty soon players start to free lance, ehhhh, I'am starting tooooo...... I guess what I'am saying is, ratings don't matter as much to me any more :aok:

beating Chicago feels good whether it's by 1 point or 20 :banana: