What to do with Aaron (with season now in dumpster)?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
18 Jan 2023 13:08
it alludes me because any time a receiver didn't catch a pass you blamed Rodgers , when a ball hits the receivers hands and falls to the dirt you blamed Rodgers for not making the pass easier to catch, and it's not just this season, you and others here have been crying about it for years.
No actually, I said Rodgers played fine in the first half of the Detroit game. I didn't blame him for a lack of production due to drops by Lazard, Dillon, etc. I blamed Lazard and Dillon for their drops.

I did blame him for playing poorly in the second half, because he individually stunk to high heaven that half.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
18 Jan 2023 14:01
Yoop wrote:
18 Jan 2023 13:38
Labrev wrote:
18 Jan 2023 12:59
For one, they won't be trying to run two playbooks at once all the time, the MLF playbook and the Rodgers playbook. This is not a Rodgerz Haterz take, the offense having "two playbooks" is a well-documented FACT, one that nobody within the org denies and that Rodgers himself all but confirms.
only a fool can't understand what Rodgers was referring to, and if you can't grasp it that makes you one, don't be a idiot, there was and never has been a Rodgers playbook, you listen to to many media jerks who only want you to listen while they make up any ol &%$@ you'll accept.
Oh my god, what @Labrev is referring to is from direct, on-the-record quotes by players, not some writer's opinion!
then bring those quotes, Rodgers said Lafluer needs to simplify, and I just outlined reasons why, and those reasons are valid, and no one will ever convince me that the Packers have two different offensive play books, obviously Rodgers has plenty of input how this offense is run, as he should have, the guy is known for watching as much game tape as the coaches, or at least he use to, why wouldn't Matt entertain his opinions? not to wouldn't make any sense.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
18 Jan 2023 14:11
Yoop wrote:
18 Jan 2023 13:08
it alludes me because any time a receiver didn't catch a pass you blamed Rodgers , when a ball hits the receivers hands and falls to the dirt you blamed Rodgers for not making the pass easier to catch, and it's not just this season, you and others here have been crying about it for years.
No actually, I said Rodgers played fine in the first half of the Detroit game. I didn't blame him for a lack of production due to drops by Lazard, Dillon, etc. I blamed Lazard and Dillon for their drops.

I did blame him for playing poorly in the second half, because he individually stunk to high heaven that half.
OMG, well then, I obviously owe you a apology, please forgive me :rotf:

Labrev I can't keep up with all of you guys complaining about Rodgers, did he have a down year compared to other seasons? sure, but so did most of the team, and so did many other NFL teams, go google why, and you will read the same issues I've pointed out ( OL and WR) and according to what I've seen of Love, it's hard to imagine he would have done better.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
18 Jan 2023 14:17
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
18 Jan 2023 14:01
Yoop wrote:
18 Jan 2023 13:38

only a fool can't understand what Rodgers was referring to, and if you can't grasp it that makes you one, don't be a idiot, there was and never has been a Rodgers playbook, you listen to to many media jerks who only want you to listen while they make up any ol &%$@ you'll accept.
Oh my god, what @Labrev is referring to is from direct, on-the-record quotes by players, not some writer's opinion!
then bring those quotes, Rodgers said Lafluer needs to simplify, and I just outlined reasons why, and those reasons are valid, and no one will ever convince me that the Packers have two different offensive play books, obviously Rodgers has plenty of input how this offense is run, as he should have, the guy is known for watching as much game tape as the coaches, or at least he use to, why wouldn't Matt entertain his opinions? not to wouldn't make any sense.
Let me clear one thing up: It's not literally two playbooks. It's 1) the way the play is drawn up, and 2) how Rodgers wants it.

Let's start with this one. Lewis isn't even knocking it:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... ay-packers
Marcedes Lewis wrote:One thing a lot of people don’t know is that we basically have two different playbooks: Matt LaFleur’s playbook, and Aaron Rodgers’s playbook. LaFleur’s playbook is the system, and A-Rod’s playbook is the checks, the hots, the cues coming off the line versus blitzes — he has any number of plays he can call at any time to exploit the defense. So these young receivers have had to basically learn two offenses. The learning curve is steep.
Do you recall the article that was brought up on the forum last month from The Athletic? Aaron was not happy about it. Here's the fallout and some quotes from the article:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nfl/nfl-20 ... 51b587a38c
Kahler spoke in total to 11 current and former Packers players — Randall Cobb, Sammy Watkins, Romeo Doubs, Chris Blair, Equanimeous St. Brown, Kylin Hill, Jordan Love, Shaun Beyer, Jace Sternberger, Robert Tonyan and Amari Rodgers.

Even before the criticism on ‘The Pat McAfee Show’, Kahler joined ‘Locked on Packers’ to explain the article and what had learned in speaking with current and former Packers players.

Central to the article is the veteran quarterback’s use of an array of hand signals, ones that are not written down anywhere or taught to players in any digestible way, even on film.

“It’s just in our brains,” back-up quarterback Jordan Love said in the piece.

“One of the reasons it is so hard is that anyone who has watched Aaron Rodgers, you guys have all seen him do these things at the line of scrimmage right before a play, he does this many times per game,” Kahler explained.

“He has this vast array of hand signals he will do. That’s changing the route, it could be a play concept, it could signal something he’s seeing in the defence and changing something on the fly. There’s about 30 of those that he expects his receivers to know but they don’t teach them.

“I learned this from my conversations with the players who had been there. I was told they don’t really teach them until the regular season begins because they’re making a bunch of cuts during camp and don’t really want to give that information away too soon to guys that will go within the division. Once the season begins they will start introducing these signals but they’re never officially taught.”
Martellus Bennett talked about this same stuff in 2017-2018, but he's a douche so I'm not going to bother finding his interviews. Did you know searching for snippets of articles or forum posts is a pain in the ass? You're welcome.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
18 Jan 2023 15:13
Central to the article is the veteran quarterback’s use of an array of hand signals, ones that are not written down anywhere or taught to players in any digestible way, even on film.
see this is basically this guys exaggerated translation, these hand signals are taught and change for each game, and they are not hard to remember. Rodgers explained that also on the McAfee show, and I would take Rodgers word on this before I'd take the word of Fox or this dude Kahler.

again Lewis is describing audibles and play adjustment that every QB in the league has, which translates to every offense in the league having two playbooks, that Rodgers version of it is bigger should be expected, he's been doing it longer then any other QB outside of Brady.
also if these hand signal are so hard to remember why hasn't either McCarthy, Lafleur, Guty, Murphy, hell even Russ Ball or the groundskeeper stepped in and said anything, because if they actually where to hard to remember it's costing us games, 3 seasons of 13-3 imo means the problems this season weren't the cause of hand signals :idn:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
18 Jan 2023 15:53
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
see this is basically this guys exaggerated translation, these hand signals are taught and change for each game, and they are not hard to remember. Rodgers explained that also on the McAfee show, and I would take Rodgers word on this before I'd take the word of Fox or this dude Kahler.
I knew you wouldn't even read it: Kahler's a woman. And it's not the word of Fox Sports or The Athletic, it's the players saying these things in interviews.
Yoop wrote:
again Lewis is describing audibles and play adjustment that every QB in the league has, which translates to every offense in the league having two playbooks, that Rodgers version of it is bigger should be expected, he's been doing it longer then any other QB outside of Brady.
also if these hand signal are so hard to remember why hasn't either McCarthy, Lafleur, Guty, Murphy, hell even Russ Ball or the groundskeeper stepped in and said anything, because if they actually where to hard to remember it's costing us games, 3 seasons of 13-3 imo means the problems this season weren't the cause of hand signals :idn:
So why did you push back on Labrev's post? Because this part sounds like you're agreeing with him.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
18 Jan 2023 16:11
Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
I knew you wouldn't even read it: Kahler's a woman. And it's not the word of Fox Sports or The Athletic, it's the players saying these things in interviews.
Yoop wrote:
So why did you push back on Labrev's post? Because this part sounds like you're agreeing with him.
ya know why I didn't bother reading past your caption? simple, as Rodgers said it's BS, every team has hand signals and they change weekly, and if receivers can't bother to learn them then the problem is with the receiver, Rodgers got pissed because as with most of you it's one attack after another towards him for the reason for the team not doing better this year.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rob-gronko ... 30458.html
Do I still think I can play? Of course. Of course,” Rodgers said in his first postseason appearance on "The Pat McAfee Show." “Can I play at a high level? Yeah. The highest. I think I can win MVP again in the right situation. Right situation, is that Green Bay or is that somewhere else? I’m not sure, but I don’t think you should shut down any opportunity.”
The retired tight end made an appearance on FanDuel TV’s “Up & Adams” and was asked his take on Rodgers’ statement.

“I’m totally fine with everything he said except for one major part — and that’s the ‘MVP again,’” Gronkowski said. “Bro, why are you thinking MVP? Don’t you want Super Bowls?”

He went on to critique Rodgers’ priorities, adding that “Super Bowls are, I think, five times greater than an MVP award.”
Gronk does have a bit of a point.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Jan 2023 16:33
Do I still think I can play? Of course. Of course,” Rodgers said in his first postseason appearance on "The Pat McAfee Show." “Can I play at a high level? Yeah. The highest. I think I can win MVP again in the right situation. Right situation, is that Green Bay or is that somewhere else? I’m not sure, but I don’t think you should shut down any opportunity.”
The retired tight end made an appearance on FanDuel TV’s “Up & Adams” and was asked his take on Rodgers’ statement.

“I’m totally fine with everything he said except for one major part — and that’s the ‘MVP again,’” Gronkowski said. “Bro, why are you thinking MVP? Don’t you want Super Bowls?”

He went on to critique Rodgers’ priorities, adding that “Super Bowls are, I think, five times greater than an MVP award.”
no he doesn't, Gronk was invested in propping up the 3 mvp winner Brady, seriously what have the FO done for Rodgers besides giving him a bunch of money? they havn't used a 1st round pick on a offensive skil position player in half your lifetime, nor a higher pick on a receiver other then the guy they cut earlier this year since Adams in 014, if Rodgers is playing for MVP titles who can blame him, the FO hasn't exactly tried to help him.

I don't know how any Packer fan can be happy with team building the last 6 to 7 years, so why should we think Rodgers should be a team first guy, even though he is, Gronk taking exception works in his case, NE actually had a plan, and made sure Brady had talent to be a team player, Rodgers got the 3 stooges

wizard 87
Reactions:

Post by wizard 87 »

Yoop wrote:
17 Jan 2023 19:31
I seem to be in the minority that the Rodgers we saw this year is not actually as bad as he looked, but I am tired of beating that subject to death
Everyone mods included forgive me but rather than dive back through threads, Yoop there isn't much of an argument, and my old friend I don't have it in me much anymore to do so but with all due respect I can provide mountains of video that shows the man regressed and it wasn't the WR.

He's throwing low..high ..left. His skill set wasn't there, thumb? Maybe 40% tops but the old “booyah” isn't like it used to be, and Yoop that's okay to say...he's about to hit that 40 wall, and by god that's real. Can he get the old "MVP" back.. one last go? If it happens they look genius but you leave Rodgers here one year too long and :hide:

Here's to you Yoop :beer2:

Gentleman, back to your regularly scheduled program! :mrgreen:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

The problem with a lot of players is they don't know when to quit. Quit while you still have "it". Not after you lose it. People will always remember you quitting on top of your game and if you hold out longer..........well, everyone will remember Brady's last game against Dallas, If that's his last game.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Rodgers said recently, well before this interview, that if he were to retire now, he would feel proud of his NFL career and what he's accomplished.

So yeah, straight from the horse's mouth, he doesn't care about winning more SuperBowls. He's content with what he's done. At this point he's just chasing all-time records and probably another MVP if possible (doubt it).

In stark contrast to Brady, who every time he returns, talks about how badly he wants another ring.

'Just another reason why Love now is the better option. Let's get a guy who's hungry for a championship, not padding meaningless legacy stats.
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Man, just when he’s starting to get cooler again with a hair cut.

I wonder what we may have gotten in a trade for him last year. Imagine like 3 firsts + from Aaron and the 1 & 2 from davante, all drafts would be so fricken fun. :lol:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Raptorman wrote:
18 Jan 2023 17:15
The problem with a lot of players is they don't know when to quit. Quit while you still have "it". Not after you lose it. People will always remember you quitting on top of your game and if you hold out longer..........well, everyone will remember Brady's last game against Dallas, If that's his last game.
I get your point. But look at guys like Elway, Manning(s), Favre, etc. All of them were clearly on the downside of their careers. But they were still more than simply a “game manager” or such. I do think that Rodgers is still better than Trent Dilfer ever was. (No slight against Dilfer.)

Lol.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, reading between the lines, it definitely feels like Rodgers and Gute from their words are both contemplating a mutual breakup.

On a side note, I must also say it's pretty disrespectful for AR to make Randall Cobb come back here but play for your own stat-padding rather than another SuperBowl. Cobb shoulda left in 2014 and gotten (over-)paid while he had a chance.
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers is a tool
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:

How come this sentence from Tuesday's podcast is never included?

“There’s no point in coming back to play football unless you think you can win it all.”

He has repeatedly said he wants no part in a rebuild and I don't blame him. At this point in his career he knows he only has a couple more shots at a ring so he can't stick around until a team is playoff ready. If he is contemplating a trade or retirement he may feel GB isn't a playoff team anytime soon and he might be right. I can't imagine Brady would want any part of that either.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pugger wrote:
18 Jan 2023 22:50
Pckfn23 wrote:

“There’s no point in coming back to play football unless you think you can win it all.”

He has repeatedly said he wants no part in a rebuild and I don't blame him. At this point in his career he knows he only has a couple more shots at a ring so he can't stick around until a team is playoff ready. If he is contemplating a trade or retirement he may feel GB isn't a playoff team anytime soon and he might be right. I can't imagine Brady would want any part of that either.
Sure, but why is winning another MVP the first thing on his mind? Why isn't the Super Bowl trumping MVP? I think that is kind of where Gronk has a point.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Jan 2023 23:12
Pugger wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Sure, but why is winning another MVP the first thing on his mind? Why isn't the Super Bowl trumping MVP? I think that is kind of where Gronk has a point.
What did he say first? I will say if he is playing at an MVP level his team is winning and in the playoffs. It is a shame hasn't had the same success in the post season lately.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pugger wrote:
18 Jan 2023 23:16
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Jan 2023 23:12
Pugger wrote:

What did he say first? I will say if he is playing at an MVP level his team is winning and in the playoffs. It is a shame hasn't had the same success in the post season lately.
MVP statement first. 4 MVPs, 0 Super Bowl appearances in those season. Just to be clear I am not saying it is Rodgers fault for that, just making the connection.