Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

We have no idea if he will come back the same player or be another bakhtiari
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Jun 2023 13:55
I’ll own this one for @Yoop of the future.

I want to pay Gary like he has already had a 12 sack season. I want to do it now. I want to do it before any other deals on defense get signed.

I want to give him ~$20Mish a year for as many years as he’ll allow us to right now while he’s injured and might take less for more guarantees
really, he hasn't earned a contract like that, I'd wait to see what he does after about 12 games.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
07 Jun 2023 17:34
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Jun 2023 13:55
I’ll own this one for @Yoop of the future.

I want to pay Gary like he has already had a 12 sack season. I want to do it now. I want to do it before any other deals on defense get signed.

I want to give him ~$20Mish a year for as many years as he’ll allow us to right now while he’s injured and might take less for more guarantees
really, he hasn't earned a contract like that, I'd wait to see what he does after about 12 games.
That truth bomb is gonna be tough for some of these guys to take, but it’s totally true.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Jun 2023 17:45
Yoop wrote:
07 Jun 2023 17:34
That truth bomb is gonna be tough for some of these guys to take, but it’s totally true.
It's not about what someone has done, but what they will do over the life of the contract, and it is the job of the front office to predict and gauge or play the numbers.

Just like signing Preston and Z, they got a deal worthy of what they became, not worthy of what they had been.

Gary at $20M/year is a gamble. It's a prediction. It's a projection. That he will be worth less than that by year three. I am in favor of that gamble.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Gary has 22.5 sacks, about 140 total pressures ( a guess) and 80 solo tackles, 55 assist, in 4 seasons, most of it the last 1.5 seasons, so his agent is going to demand top money, hope he earns it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jun 2023 14:30
Labrev wrote:
07 Jun 2023 13:44
BF004 wrote:
07 Jun 2023 11:22

Because he’s nowhere near the 2nd best defensive player in the league? He’s not even the 2nd best from his draft class. Ya boi Jeffrey Simmons been better and a lot more consistent.

Williams a one year wonder pretty much so far.
Nice box-score scouting but you have no idea what you're talking about. Quinnen is a stud machine far beyond Simonds and even better than Dexter Lawrence, whether it was reflected on the stat sheet or not. He's definitely a Top-5 defender in the league.
Lol.

I didn’t call him bad. I called him not the 2nd best defender in the league. Seems like even you agree with that. I think he will probably be paid like he is now, after Saleh’s comments. Even if it’s short lived till Bosa gets his.

I frankly don’t think he’s the 2nd best defender from his draft class. My opinion goes beyond box scores??
No, I believe he's comfortably in the Top 5 best defenders in the league, and that an argument can be made for him being the 2nd best defender in the league. He's the closest thing to Aaron Donald than any other DT in the league, so it's fair to pay him somewhere close to that.

I know you didn't call him bad, but you did say "one year wonder" which is kinda ridiculous.

I assumed without looking at the stats, based on that comment, that his first few years in the league were quiet until last season. I looked it up just now. His Year 2 and 3 he had 7 and 6 sacks respectively, 50-odd tackles in both years, double-digit QB hits and TFLs. And then of course he exploded last year.

If Williams is a one year wonder, then Kenny Clark is a zero year wonder, because his stats before last year are as good or better than what Clark has put up in his very best years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... llQu00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... arKe01.htm
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

It is Alexander Mattison time

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

BF004 wrote:
08 Jun 2023 09:50

It is Alexander Mattison time

While Mattison has done great for me in Fantasy as a plug and play when Cook was out, I feel a lot better as a Packers fan not having to face Cook twice per year.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Cook was a pain in the ass to deal with so I am glad he's gone.

But word is him landing up in NYJ is a sure thing, and I think he can help give them what they lost with Breece Hall going down to an ACL injury (I doubt Hall looks like his old self until maybe very late into this season at the earliest).

I want Rodgers to have a team good enough to eliminate excuses, but not to carry him and help him succeed, so BOO!! I don't like this. I don't even care about the draft pick, I just want Rodgers to fail but to do so without someone else to scapegoat.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Nice, I just saw NFLN is going to broadcast the Packers-Bengals preseason game live

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Originally laughed, but gotta say he’s been very solid on my dynasty team for a while now.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
11 Jun 2023 20:18
Originally laughed, but gotta say he’s been very solid on my dynasty team for a while now.

He is Boomer Esiason. Or maybe a lesser Phil Simms.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
11 Jun 2023 20:18

Absolutely not. Never. Not close.

It’s the Hall of Fame not the hall of consistently pretty darn good.

HoFers need to be selected among players considered possibly the best at their position while playing. Cousins has never been more than “You could argue he cracks the top 5 some years.”

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Way too many other above average QBs better than Cousins that didn’t get a ring.

Like I would think Phillip Rivers and Matt Ryan get in before Cousins ever even got considered and they’re fringe players.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Cousins and Matt Ryan both suck

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Oh I was definitely not arguing for it by any stretch.

I’d say he needs an all pro season and a Super Bowl at some point. Then maybe he’d have an argument.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

PFR thinks he's not even close:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... usKi00.htm
Hall of Fame Monitor

PFR HOF Monitor: 43.54 (63rd among QB, average HOF QB is 103.58)
_____

Matt Ryan, however, has a case:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... anMa00.htm
Hall of Fame Monitor

PFR HOF Monitor: 106.05 (12th among QB, average HOF QB is 103.58)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Kirk Cousins is the ideal quarterback to be on your rival's team. Good enough to command top dollar for a decade and make the rivalry interesting, but not good enough to allow your rivalry neighbors to have bragging rights for a decade.

I love Kirk Cousins. Yes Kirk. I do like that. Keep being cute and have your season end on Wildcard Sundays.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
12 Jun 2023 12:17

Hall of Fame Monitor

_____

Hall of Fame Monitor

I don't know, seems just about every stat site is different, one place has Sid Luckman as top 5 QB's all time, another ranks him in the 30's, according to this only a couple top 100 with passer rating, so I don't know what to belive
https://www.profootballhof.com/all-time-passer-rating/

just wonder if those are PFR adjusted QB ratings??

heres another with Young at 97 passer rating, Rodgers now at 104 will possibly stand for years for HOF QB's

tatmuse.com/nfl/ask/lowest-passer-rating-among-hall-of-fame-quarterbacks-since-1966
Last edited by Yoop on 12 Jun 2023 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:
12 Jun 2023 14:20
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
12 Jun 2023 12:17

Hall of Fame Monitor

_____

Hall of Fame Monitor

I don't know, seems just about every stat site is different, one place has Sid Luckman as top 5 QB's all time, another ranks him in the 30's, according to this only a couple top 100 with passer rating, so I don't know what to belive
https://www.profootballhof.com/all-time-passer-rating/
Because everyone uses different criteria. There is almost always recency bias, too. For example, Don Hutson is by far the best WR ever to play based on the standards of his era.