General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
07 Apr 2021 11:07
It is unbelievable to me how bad the Smiths and Gary were for us last year.
Any thoughts on why ?
Do you think that was because offenses knew what was coming ? Was the run defense so poor that it impacted their overall play ?
If all 3 had poor performances - that suggests a systemic issue
IT. IS. TIME

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:

Our front 7 on defense was the weak spot.
Reconcile that with two posts earlier... 50% dime. There was no Front-7.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:

Our front 7 on defense was the weak spot.
I think it was more front 5 than front 7. Given we played dime >50% of snaps.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Right; we're a team that had bad run defense and some pass rush struggles and weak play at ILB.

But we're a team that had 6 DBs on the field and doesn't invest in ILBs.

So the results are exactly what you'd expect. I don't think that ALL falls to Pettine. I think he compensated for the lack of playmakers at ILB and the shaky depth at CB by substituting safeties into the game--and not because we had 4 really good safeties; we only had two. So it was a marriage of personnel issues and coaching personnel decisions.

BUT I think you can expect a pass rush and a run D to improve simply by subbing out a safety for a front-7 player on many/most of those 3 CB/3safety dime looks.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BSA wrote:
07 Apr 2021 11:15
go pak go wrote:
Any thoughts on why ?
Do you think that was because offenses knew what was coming ? Was the run defense so poor that it impacted their overall play ?
I thought the defense as a whole was bad at limiting down and distances. Whether it was their early down run defense or giving up a pass short with a lot of space they set themselves up with a lot of 2nd/3rd and manageables which leave your options limited on defense.

IMO it is absolutely stupid to have so much invested in a pass rush and not invest in your run defense. You want to enable your pass rush. Set them up for success by giving them long to go situations so they have the time to get back there.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Apr 2021 11:41
BSA wrote:
07 Apr 2021 11:15
go pak go wrote:
Any thoughts on why ?
I thought the defense as a whole was bad at limiting down and distances. Whether it was their early down run defense or giving up a pass short with a lot of space they set themselves up with a lot of 2nd/3rd and manageables which leave your options limited on defense.

IMO it is absolutely stupid to have so much invested in a pass rush and not invest in your run defense. You want to enable your pass rush. Set them up for success by giving them long to go situations so they have the time to get back there.
So to me, and I think the stats will say I am wrong, it just felt like we were HORRIBLE on 3rd and long.

Maybe it sticks out so much because we were so bad at it on the games we lost.

(Think TB1, IND, MN, TB2)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Aaron Jones's dad passed away.
image.png
image.png (2.17 MiB) Viewed 562 times
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The world lost a great one today. :(

Thank you to Alvin Jones for being a great human, your service to our country and for raising a great family.

I cannot go on enough how much I love the Jones family.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Rashan Gary at a NT/DL camp.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
07 Apr 2021 13:18
Thank you to Alvin Jones for being a great human, your service to our country and for raising a great family.

I cannot go on enough how much I love the Jones family.
co-signed
IT. IS. TIME

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Gotta love Tom Crabtree.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
08 Apr 2021 12:16
Gotta love Tom Crabtree.

No 1st rounders.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

some like Asante, so I brought this from JS online

Asante Samuel Jr. cites Packers corner Jaire Alexander when sizing up his pro potential
Ryan Wood
Packers News

Asante Samuel Jr. thinks he plays taller than his 5-10 height
Latest in a Packers Prospects series looking at players Green Bay could select in the April 29-May 1 NFL draft.

GREEN BAY - The pedigree in this year’s cornerback draft class brings all kinds of flashes from the past.

Alabama’s Patrick Surtain Jr.’s name might sound familiar. His father, Patrick Surtain Sr., was an 11-year NFL corner with the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs. He made three Pro Bowls, one first-team All-Pro team, and finished his career with 37 interceptions.

Same for South Carolina’s Jaycee Horn. His father, Joe Horn, was one of the league’s most electrifying wide receivers for a time — both for his touchdowns and the celebrations in the end zone. In a dozen seasons mostly with the New Orleans Saints, Horn was a four-time Pro Bowler. He finished with 603 catches, 8,744 yards and, yes, 58 touchdowns.

Then there is Florida State’s Asante Samuel Jr. While Patrick Surtain Jr. and Jaycee Horn are expected to be drafted before the Green Bay Packers get a chance with the 29th overall pick in the first round, Asante Samuel Jr.’s name could ring out when general manager Brian Gutekunst is on the cloc

Samuel, at 5-10, 184 pounds, doesn’t have the height of Surtain (6-2, 202 pounds) or Horn (6-1, 205). Of course, neither did his father, Asante Samuel Sr. It didn’t stop the elder, a fourth-round pick in the 2003 draft, from having an 11-year NFL career mostly with the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles. Asante Samuel Sr. was selected to four Pro Bowls and one first-team All-Pro list, retiring after the 2013 season with 51 career interceptions.

“He was a big role in my life,” Samuel Jr. said of his father. “He just kind of wanted me to do my own thing, learn how I learn, and just kind of be self-oriented and do the things I want to do. And he’ll just piggyback off what I want to do.”

Samuel Jr. has drawn comparisons to his dad from NFL scouts. Like his dad, he uses exceptional athleticism to compensate for his lack of size. In 256 coverage snaps, Samuel allowed only 19 catches for 179 yards and one touchdown on 32 targets as a junior last season, according to Pro Football Focus. His 46.2 passer rating when targeted ranked better than Surtain (67.4) and Horn (54.9).

After spending his first two seasons at Florida State lined up predominately in the slot, Samuel had just 15 slot snaps last season, according to PFF. Regardless, he has flexibility inside or outside, giving whatever team that drafts him positional versatility. If that team is the Packers, Samuel could round out a cornerback depth chart highlighted by Jaire Alexander and Kevin King.

Scouting measurables: 5-10, 184 pounds, 30 1/8-inch arms, 8 7/8-inch hands, 4.45 40

Stats: 11 games, 37 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 8 sacks, 39 pressures, 4 batted passes.

Pro Football Focus analysis: Samuel has some elite traits that will go a long way toward making up for his lack of size. He has some of the slickest change-of-direction skills you will see at the position, and he can come out of his backpedal and drive on the football in an absolute instant. His tape is littered with plays where he steals yards on receivers by making their break before they do and puts himself in position to either contest at the catch point or pick the pass off entirely. These are the skills that made his father a ballhawk and will likely do the same for him. He is also feisty and physically aggressive with receivers, and if he is in a good position when the ball arrives, he challenges for it well, even against bigger opponents. Samuel’s lack of size and strength shows up when running with receivers and looking for the football. Too often he can allow receivers to just move him out of position as he tries to maintain control of the situation.

Draftniks say: “Cornerback with NFL bloodlines and disruptive strength to make contested catches a true challenge for wide receivers. Samuel has good feet, but average size and transition burst to shadow breaks. He allowed too many catches in front of his face, especially early in the 2020 season. He plays with good technique in closing out and crowding receivers headed down the field but has a tendency to go overboard when face-guarding, turning his coverage into flags. He has the traits and talent to turn some catches into incompletions with a change in approach. Samuel has nickel talent, but might just be average as a pro.” – Lance Zierlein, NFL Network

Quotable: “I feel like I’m an outside guy. I’ve been playing outside all my life. I played nickel sometime in my sophomore and freshman year, but I make my plays on the outside. I feel like I’m a dominant corner on the outside. They try to look at my height and say things of that nature, but I’m the same size as Jaire Alexander is, and he’s a dominant NFL corner right now, one of the best in the league. So I feel like size doesn’t matter. It’s about the heart and the dog mentality you have on that field.” – Asante Samuel Jr. on whether he can be a perimeter cornerback in the NFL

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I cant not see Jaire when I watch Asante Jr. The way they attack ball carriers for being a little guy is awesome. Speed. The way they attack the ball. As long as Samual Jr doesnt have injury fits like Jason Verrett I think hes a cant miss player.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

A little Packer happiness for you this morning.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Interesting possible tidbit. Will be interesting to see how this is handled.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-pac ... ipped-otas

Article on it, would be a sweet way to open up $5 million :lol:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

paco wrote:
13 Apr 2021 08:50
A little Packer happiness for you this morning.
Thx
This place could use a little/lot of happiness these days. You know how they say Disneyland is the "Happiest Place on Earth ?"
I'd say Packer Nation is the opposite of that - and its not just this board- its everywhere. So thx for sharing a little sunshine, greatly appreciated

:beer2:
IT. IS. TIME

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.