Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Matt Ryan should be in the HOF for the most embarrassing championship loss of all time.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

There was a guy on one of the old versions of this forum who used to refer to Matt Ryan as "glorified Chad Pennington." I thought it was accurate. Not an insult BTW- Chad Pennington was a solid QB when he could stay healthy.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
12 Jun 2023 12:17
PFR thinks he's not even close:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... usKi00.htm
Hall of Fame Monitor

PFR HOF Monitor: 43.54 (63rd among QB, average HOF QB is 103.58)
_____

Matt Ryan, however, has a case:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... anMa00.htm
Hall of Fame Monitor

PFR HOF Monitor: 106.05 (12th among QB, average HOF QB is 103.58)
I agree with this evaluation. Earlier in his career, Matt Ryan was a very good QB. It's just been in recent years that he hasn't played so well.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I personally don’t think Matt Ryan belongs in.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
12 Jun 2023 15:11
I personally don’t think Matt Ryan belongs in.
Yeah. If Ryan won the SB in 2016 and then didn't fall off a cliff after that I think he would be in the conversation. Ryan was a solid QB for about 6 years. But in the end, 1 MVP, no rings and only roughly 6 years of good production just doesn't cut it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
12 Jun 2023 14:20
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
12 Jun 2023 12:17
I don't know, seems just about every stat site is different, one place has Sid Luckman as top 5 QB's all time, another ranks him in the 30's, according to this only a couple top 100 with passer rating, so I don't know what to belive
https://www.profootballhof.com/all-time-passer-rating/

just wonder if those are PFR adjusted QB ratings??

heres another with Young at 97 passer rating, Rodgers now at 104 will possibly stand for years for HOF QB's

tatmuse.com/nfl/ask/lowest-passer-rating-among-hall-of-fame-quarterbacks-since-1966
Yoop, the numbers I posted are not a passer rating, it's PFR's formula for comparing careers:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... onitor.htm
Pro Football Reference has developed a Hall of Fame Monitor formula to help people get a quick idea of the strength of a player's candidacy for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. ...This is calculated on the site for all players who debuted in 1955 or later and have played at least 50 regular season games.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Captain_Ben wrote:
12 Jun 2023 14:48
There was a guy on one of the old versions of this forum who used to refer to Matt Ryan as "glorified Chad Pennington." I thought it was accurate. Not an insult BTW- Chad Pennington was a solid QB when he could stay healthy.
Ryan is one of those QBs that should be referred to historically as “having enough WR/TE talent to win a Super Bowl.” Yet, he didn’t. Just want the folks who insist that Rodgers should’ve won more Lombardi’s if not for lacking in that type of talent.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Jun 2023 11:25
Captain_Ben wrote:
Ryan is one of those QBs that should be referred to historically as “having enough WR/TE talent to win a Super Bowl.” Yet, he didn’t. Just want the folks who insist that Rodgers should’ve won more Lombardi’s if not for lacking in that type of talent.
there is such a concerted effort here to say WR's don't matter it's mind numbing, I can't even relate to that type of thinking, and Rodgers went from about 2015 with declining talent and constantly breaking in mid to late to UDFA newbies every season, and none amounted to any better then most teams number 4 wideout, and comments in support of all these jags imho has degraded this forum.

the hate for Rodgers and defense of the GM's has turned rational conversation here near impossible.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
13 Jun 2023 11:37
Scott4Pack wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
there is such a concerted effort here to say WR's don't matter it's mind numbing, I can't even relate to that type of thinking, and Rodgers went from about 2015 with declining talent and constantly breaking in mid to late to UDFA newbies every season, and none amounted to any better then most teams number 4 wideout, and comments in support of all these jags imho has degraded this forum.

the hate for Rodgers and defense of the GM's has turned rational conversation here near impossible.
I’m not sure WHO you are referring to. I, for one, did NOT say that WRs don’t matter.

What I do hear some people say is that Rodgers would’ve done better (as if MVP is shabby) winning Lombardi’s is he had better WR/TE talent. Ryan is one of those guys who proves that there’s more to it than that. It isn’t usually a “black and white” type of thing. Shouldn’t be anyhow.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Stefon Diggs absence is a weird story. Wasn't the whole vibe that Diggs and Allen were fun-loving besties having the time of their life connecting for the Bills?

Now he's absent in a way that has the head coach "very concerned," isn't about the contract he just recently signed (according to reports and to logic), and is untradeable due to that contract.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Jun 2023 16:04
Stefon Diggs absence is a weird story. Wasn't the whole vibe that Diggs and Allen were fun-loving besties having the time of their life connecting for the Bills?

Now he's absent in a way that has the head coach "very concerned," isn't about the contract he just recently signed (according to reports and to logic), and is untradeable due to that contract.
Sounds like a few players including Diggs and Buddha Baker are showing up for morning sessions but then leaving before actual practice.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lake shark wrote:
13 Jun 2023 16:28
YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Jun 2023 16:04

Sounds like a few players including Diggs and Buddha Baker are showing up for morning sessions but then leaving before actual practice.
Yeah, they call it a "hold in" because the penalties for simply not showing up are so severe in the current CBA.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lol

A 2 for Claypool is one of the most ridiculous trades I've seen in a while.... and that was almost us. :messedup:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Definitely never wanted Claypool.

I was, somewhat ironically, all in on DJ Moore last year though.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
I just looked up the Falcons stats, Ryan had a better #2 receiver a couple years, but basically he had a Adams clone in Jones and a more productive TE the rest where on par with what Rodgers has had, during the regular season thats enough, but there leaves no room for a decline in play or injury's come the playoffs when defenses dial up the heat and have 16 games of film to prepare to stop you, Ryan isn't as good as Rodgers, and did have a little better receiver situation, and yes it does take more then just a good QB and receivers to win it all, but having them makes everything else seem better or there mistakes more easily over come.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
17 Jun 2023 08:30
lol

A 2 for Claypool is one of the most ridiculous trades I've seen in a while.... and that was almost us. :messedup:
If people wanted to see the go pak go version of non-stop hating on management...they would have seen it had we gone all in to get a crappy #2 WR in 2022 midseason or tried to lure Rodgers back for another year.

I would have never let BG hear the end of it.

Fortunately for Chicago, they lost to the Vikings so they got a ton of value a few months later anyway.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
17 Jun 2023 09:48
Scott4Pack wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
I just looked up the Falcons stats, Ryan had a better #2 receiver a couple years, but basically he had a Adams clone in Jones and a more productive TE the rest where on par with what Rodgers has had, during the regular season thats enough, but there leaves no room for a decline in play or injury's come the playoffs when defenses dial up the heat and have 16 games of film to prepare to stop you, Ryan isn't as good as Rodgers, and did have a little better receiver situation, and yes it does take more then just a good QB and receivers to win it all, but having them makes everything else seem better or there mistakes more easily over come.
Sure thing. Over the course of a career, I think that makes sense. Even so, when GB went to Atlanta and annihilated the Falcons on their home field, they had an enormous amount of talent on offense. (We did too.) To even just have Tony Gonzales, Julio Jones, and his WRs that he had was a rare form of talent on that squad.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Some absolute no brainers, but also some pretty shocking names and notable absences.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... ce=twitter

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
21 Jun 2023 13:58
Some absolute no brainers, but also some pretty shocking names and notable absences.

I thought forum consensus was that Mathew Stafford sucked, and was a lousy QB, and going to the Ram-ets was the only thing that saved his career, or was it Calvin Johnson :lol:

Sanders averaged a buck plus playing us and Payton and Peterson weren't far behind

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Yoop wrote:
21 Jun 2023 14:54
NCF wrote:
21 Jun 2023 13:58

I thought forum consensus was that Mathew Stafford sucked, and was a lousy QB, and going to the Ram-ets was the only thing that saved his career, or was it Calvin Johnson :lol:

Sanders averaged a buck plus playing us and Payton and Peterson weren't far behind
Top 3 offensive skill players that I have seen the Packers face within the division are

1. Randy Moss
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Calvin Johnson

Am I forgetting anyone?