2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I the the Jets will fire Saleh. It’s a match in heave for Bill to go to a team like the Jets with an established defense and a vet QB to try and win with. It also gives him a CB since to stick it to his former team while the Jets get to steal a coach that rolled them for close to 2 decades.

LaFleur wisens up and fires a coordinator who he shouldn’t have hired in the first place (which for those not counting he’s done before) and brings in Saleh, because he likes keeping his friends close.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Dec 2023 12:25
I the the Jets will fire Saleh. It’s a match in heave for Bill to go to a team like the Jets with an established defense and a vet QB to try and win with. It also gives him a CB since to stick it to his former team while the Jets get to steal a coach that rolled them for close to 2 decades.

LaFleur wisens up and fires a coordinator who he shouldn’t have hired in the first place (which for those not counting he’s done before) and brings in Saleh, because he likes keeping his friends close.
I'd get on board with that, but i just don't get the feeling MLF thinks there is anything wrong and wants Barry. And nobody is going to force him to change until Murphy retires.

Not that I think Murphy won't allow it, but MLF likes Barry, and i don't see him forcing a new plan that he won't be around to see thru so we just ride with what we have until then. I don't like it at all, but it's what my gut is telling me.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

musclestang wrote:
14 Dec 2023 13:36
lupedafiasco wrote:

I'd get on board with that, but i just don't get the feeling MLF thinks there is anything wrong and wants Barry. And nobody is going to force him to change until Murphy retires.

Not that I think Murphy won't allow it, but MLF likes Barry, and i don't see him forcing a new plan that he won't be around to see thru so we just ride with what we have until then. I don't like it at all, but it's what my gut is telling me.
I will say its going to be hard to justify firing Barry when his defense has outperformed Lafleurs offense in most games this season.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
14 Dec 2023 11:33
Jets probably excuse Saleh for this year due to the Rodgers injury and give him another year, but man, imagine that.
I would sign on for this.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Dec 2023 13:53
musclestang wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

I will say its going to be hard to justify firing Barry when his defense has outperformed Lafleurs offense in most games this season.
seriously, are you doing some mind altering drugs like me? if not give it a shot :rotf:

seriously now, don't you think Matty has a excuse? his offense is so young they don't even have pubic hair yet :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

oh I think he's getting the message alright, there isn't a announcer or sports person that hasn't pointed out all of Barry's ineptness.

Barry was given a 3 years contract, that ends when this season does, Lafleur will have no reason to retain Barry, and he knows Barry has failed to coach up to that contract, I don't see any way that Gutekunst, or Murphy would OK a new contract for the guy.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I didn't realize his contract was up at year's end. I may have to re-think this :)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Dec 2023 13:53
Such a crummy take, not sure where this weird pro Barry anti offense fetish is coming from.

But A) we knew our offense would struggle, youngest receiving core ever assembled, no experience, first time starting QB, no talent added to OL.

B) our two highest paid, most experienced players haven’t played all year in Bakhtiari and Aaron Jones.

C) Throw in Watson’s and Musgrave’s injuries. And Jenkins and Wicks and Doubs, etc.

Ya gotta set expectations. Anything middle of the pack would be a huge win this year. That is exactly where we are in points and yards, I think we are like 10th in offensive DVOA

D) Gets all the big recent contracts (Jaire, Rasul, Gary, Campbell), gets all the high draft picks last few years.

E) They’ve been relatively healthy in comparison to the offense.

F) They finished last year ‘well’ and essentially returning everyone that mattered.

D needed to be our backbone this year, they aren’t.

They have pretty much the same ranks in yards and points as the O, essentially middle of the pack, maybe slightly better than O. However they are 30th in DVOA defense, they’ve played as many backups QBs as starting it seems. They’ve given 200 yards rushing 4 times, twice as many as anyone else, 3 of the times were to Desmond Ridder, Kenny Pickett and Tommy DaVito.

Been trying to bite my tongue, but how you look at this defense and say they are playing fine is simply beyond me. For as critical as you can be.

So here are some things that are happening.

Mark Murphy is going to retire after the 2025 offseason. New President won’t be able to make any changes till the ‘26 offseason.

Matt LaFleur and Gutenkunst are going to be back next year. 100%. They won enough and it would basically be too expensive to fire them now. After next offseason, would be Murphys last chance to leave his mark. If we miss the playoffs a third year in a row, very very likely Murphy would make a move his last offseason.

I’m sure LaFleur knows this, and will take the DC job seriously this offseason. Basically his last change to get it right.

So I know you want a ‘culture change’ in GB from the top down. But LaFleur and Gute back next year and Murphy 2 more. So what can we do in the mean time?

Disheartening to see you, of all people, defend this D because you have some kind of weird Love/LaFleur bias.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

All offseason and to start the year my position was exactly as you stated. We have the horses on D, and they're all 3 years into a system. They should be the backbone and a defensive unit that will keep us in games and even win us some as the offense finds its footings. They are extremely young and extremely inexperienced and expecting them to be firing on all cylinders is wishful thinking at best. I'm not excusing them, they've played very poorly at times, sometimes more poorly than I expected them too, but it's still mostly expected.

The defense? Barry is busy doing less with more than most other DC's in the league. We should have buried the Giants on defense. Instead we now have doubled the amount of 200 yard rushing games of any other NFL team with our performance against a team giving up sacks at an astonishing rate and couldn't score points to save their own lives. Some no name QB is NFC offensive player of the week, that's $%@# embarrassing.

Just think of how many times in the past couple years a struggling team has righted itself against this defense? How many teams have had season or franchise record rushing days or yardage days against this defense. How many times have we made nobody QB's a household name for at least a week? I know it happens to every team, but we seem to allow it with consistency and a rather high frequency. I'm ready for it to be done.

Barry needs to go, there is no reason he should still be here. That final series of calls last game to let them walk into game winning range in no time should have been a final nail in a string of what should have been final nails. One of these days maybe...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.golongtd.com/p/mike-daniels ... chology-of

Mike Daniels interview with Tyler Dunne
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

There is plenty of improvement that can and should happen on both sides of the ball IMO. I have been just as disappointed with offense this season as I was with the defense. Both have had their positive and negative moments. If the offense sucks today I will be very disappointed again.

Defense has had injuries too and young guys have been coached up and played well at times. Its been a lost year for Jaire (our shutdown corner.) Love needs to take the ball and go out there and do it today. Everyone else will follow the Packers leader. (I hope) :aok:

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Barry obviously needs to go.

But the entire Packer Organization from Murphy, to Gutey, to the scouts on down need to be evaluated for their contributions to the ongoing and collective failures on the defensive side of the ball.

This has been going on for far, far, far too long.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

LombardiTime wrote:
17 Dec 2023 16:11
Barry obviously needs to go.

But the entire Packer Organization from Murphy, to Gutey, to the scouts on down need to be evaluated for their contributions to the ongoing and collective failures on the defensive side of the ball.

This has been going on for far, far, far too long.
Yes again, broken record. Murphy gunna be back for the ‘24 and ‘25 offseason.

Gute and LaFleur recently extended and 3 division championships in 5 years, are back for ‘24.

I do believe Murphy wouldn’t hesitate to make a move next year if we miss the playoffs 3 years in a row.

But that is the baseline culture change schedule

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I wonder if they would consider a 4-3 defense.

We have a lot of talent with our DTs, DEs and OLBs. Try and get as many on the field as you can.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Campbell needs to come in when quay or mcduffie is tired. Mcduffie needs Campbell’s snaps.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I know yal don’t like it when Lupe bops gootebum, but what do you think of this take:

“In Green Bay, you can have whiff after whiff on defense as a gm and not be help accountable for it at all, as long as the offense scores points.”

And the offense came from a combo of great QB play, as well as some great personnel on offense over last 25 years, and this has allowed the failures to field a defense to be completely looked over. The GMs get try after try early in the draft as the QB Carries the O.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Dec 2023 21:51
I know yal don’t like it when Lupe bops gootebum, but what do you think of this take:

“In Green Bay, you can have whiff after whiff on defense as a gm and not be help accountable for it at all, as long as the offense scores points.”

And the offense came from a combo of great QB play, as well as some great personnel on offense over last 25 years, and this has allowed the failures to field a defense to be completely looked over. The GMs get try after try early in the draft as the QB Carries the O.
I said this in another thread. We have 4 first round players and Preston Smith making $13M a year.

These guys should be wrecking &%$@ up front if they played up to their contracts and draft status. QBs should be running for their lives and the run game should be getting &%$@ down regardless of the DC.

The players on the field just really aren’t that great. Clark makes a few splash plays but overall he disappears for stretches. Gary sometimes doesn’t even show up for entire games. Van Ness is used so sparingly he might as well be like Clark. Wyatt is a pass rusher only it looks like. Preston is pretty average especially considering what’s he’s making.

Again I do not like Barry. I think he definitely needs to go and shouldn’t have been hired in the first place. He can’t go out on the field and tackle for these guys. We drafted a first round LB in Quay who really doesn’t do anything you wouldn’t see out of a, say 3rd round LB. We paid Devondre and he isn’t tackling well either. Jonathan Owens was our FA pickup to help the safety room but he isn’t tackling well either.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If tackling is a systemic issue, look to the coach.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Pack now ranked 20th in opponents ppg.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/o ... s-per-game

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Just a couple days after turning a nobody into the NFC offensive player of the week, this defense follows it up with allowing another &%$@ QB a 400 yard day with 4 TD's i think, best of the season for him by far and not only that, allowed TB by far their highest point total for the season. All of this in a game we kind of needed to win we dropped by 14. Great job D.

I'm afraid to write any more about this defense, they keep proving me right.