2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
19 Mar 2023 09:56
image.png
I’ve also done some mocks showing TE picks adjacent to each other. If ever there was a year to do that… Would be nice in round 3, but I think round 2 is more likely.

The QBs at the lower end of the draft board seem to be smallish and mostly not able to throw the whole route tree. Argh.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
23 Mar 2023 13:56
Ben Fennell loves the versatile DBs. You know who else always talks about versatile DBs ?

Gute

Gardener and Johnson I’ve thought of and mentioned as safety converts. Brents is a really interesting one. He thinks he’s the best CB in the draft so I don’t know if he’d be interested in the position switch, but a fascinating prospect from a size and matchup perspective.

I loved Trey Dean until he ran 4.75 twice at the combine. Shocking lack of speed. I just don’t know what to do with that. He was otherwise highly appealing but that’s crossed a red line

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Mar 2023 14:13

The QBs at the lower end of the draft board seem to be smallish and mostly not able to throw the whole route tree. Argh.
Tyson Bagent, Shepherd.

Massive amount of development needed coming from the lowest level of play. But similar in that way to Tim Boyle. Strong arm, prototypical size, commanding presence. Just never done it against anyone or had top level coaching

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2023 14:44
Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Mar 2023 14:13

Tyson Bagent, Shepherd.

Massive amount of development needed coming from the lowest level of play. But similar in that way to Tim Boyle. Strong arm, prototypical size, commanding presence. Just never done it against anyone or had top level coaching
Plus his dad as a bad mudder trucker ha

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

And his muther was a mudder.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pff just put their draft sim behind a paywall.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Mar 2023 11:04
Wow, so my insomnia-induced, 4am-ish run through the sim for the first (four) time(s) posted to my Draft Thoughts thread late last night/early this morning was sort of a miracle; like maybe it should now be considered a holy text of Packers Drafting 2023. Wow.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
I will be very excited to get this Rodgers trade done, so I can go to other mock sim sites with different boards. People starting to get too settled on pff rankings.

And dumb by PFF, imo. They borderline have a monopoly on that right now.

Toss in a few ads, you’d clean up.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
24 Mar 2023 12:12
I will be very excited to get this Rodgers trade done, so I can go to other mock sim sites with different boards. People starting to get too settled on pff rankings.
PFF rankings are also wildly out of touch with a lot of other places in many respects, to their credit and detriment; they do their own thing there, and that's to be commended. But it doesn't make for a great mock sim. I wish mock sims would randomly assign various public value boards to each team so every team is operating on an unknown set of rankings; that would be the most realistic, but probably a lot of extra juice in running it.

I think my biggest pet peeve about myself in the draft process is how narrowly I focus on my favorites and ignore whole hosts of possibilities of guys I actually really like but never enough to overtake my favorite favorites. So if everyone is doing that, the grouping/bunching effect makes for bad practice.

Like have I even mentioned Sidney Sow? He's perfect for us. Have I one single time typed the name Felix Anudike-Uzomah? Is Tyler Steen the forgotten OT? What about Joe Tippman's insane range of draft stock projections (from literally first round to fourth or fifth round, not including ESPN's Scouts, Inc ranking him 244 in what I can only assume is just outdated. When was the last time I discussed Day 3 RBs? There are loads of them I like. What about all the weird hybrid-type FB/LB/TE types? Elijah Higgins and Derek Parish and Jack Colletto...

I guess my point is that I agree people get too locked in to certain names and ratings and trends to the detriment of broader understanding and knowledge of potential good outcomes and permutations

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Mar 2023 11:12
lupedafiasco wrote:
Wow, so my insomnia-induced, 4am-ish run through the sim for the first (four) time(s) posted to my Draft Thoughts thread late last night/early this morning was sort of a miracle; like maybe it should now be considered a holy text of Packers Drafting 2023. Wow.
I was in the middle of one this morning at work and it denied all trades no matter what so I refreshed the one and it locked the rounds and showed I couldn’t continue without subscribing. I was pissed.

I’ve been waiting for the Rodgers trade to actually run a mock.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Mar 2023 15:00
YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Mar 2023 11:12
lupedafiasco wrote:
I was in the middle of one this morning at work and it denied all trades no matter what so I refreshed the one and it locked the rounds and showed I couldn’t continue without subscribing. I was pissed.

I’ve been waiting for the Rodgers trade to actually run a mock.
That’s why Pff has been king though. Been so easy to play the trades for Rodgers.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

&%$@

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Sorry if this one was already posted
Here's Mike Wahle with a really well done film breakdown on Lukas Van Ness

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
24 Mar 2023 20:11
&%$@

Why is this a curse word react?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Mar 2023 22:24
BF004 wrote:
24 Mar 2023 20:11
&%$@

Why is this a curse word react?
Impressed

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I do like Mayer a lot. Like some compare him to Jason Whitten. However, I am not convinced that his game tape shows much speed for him. Maybe this tweet tells us better.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Here's Draftek with their view of the Packers needs heading into April

https://www.drafttek.com/2023-NFL-Draft ... t-Page.asp

And here's the same from The Huddle Report

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/teamneeds.shtml
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Mar 2023 10:31
I do like Mayer a lot. Like some compare him to Jason Whitten. However, I am not convinced that his game tape shows much speed for him. Maybe this tweet tells us better.
Everyone is on Mayer-Witten but that’s actually not even the best Witten company in the class

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Good comparison with Washington. Thanks. And he has such great wingspan, yes?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

After watching the JSN highlights, two things come to mind.
1. He has pro day timed speed about the same as Tae Adams, if I’m correct.
2. He knows how to intuitively do the stuff that isn’t coached; such as having a feel for exactly where to be between defenders to create space. It’s all the intangibles that are about football sense that are really more than can ever be coached. (Maybe he was brought up in a football family?)

I know the Pack resists the temptation to go WR in round 1. But this is a guy that could become a Tae Adams or almost a Sterling Sharpe (with less strength, mind you). He looks special.