General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

:cry:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
06 May 2021 17:55
:cry:

The respect Shannon has for his brother is awesome. Even in his Hall of Fame speech he acknowledged him saying he was the 1st player of his family to make it to the Hall and the 2nd best player in his family.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I'm a milennial that juuust missed out on the Sterling Sharpe years, but I have been able to somewhat appreciate how good he was with how often his name came up over the past couple seasons every time Adams breaks a new team record -- often it is Sharpe who he surpasses (this many years later). And given how amazing Adams is...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
06 May 2021 22:21
I'm a milennial that juuust missed out on the Sterling Sharpe years, but I have been able to somewhat appreciate how good he was with how often his name came up over the past couple seasons every time Adams breaks a new team record -- often it is Sharpe who he surpasses (this many years later). And given how amazing Adams is...
He was an absolute joy to watch. Hands down the best WR I have seen play in a Packers uniform.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
07 May 2021 06:38
Labrev wrote:
He was an absolute joy to watch. Hands down the best WR I have seen play in a Packers uniform.
There was a year or two in the late 80s/early 90s when you could have a reasonable debate about whether Sharpe had caught Rice as the best WR in football at that moment. But as Rice's career started first and continued long after Sharpe's was cut short, those debates were short-lived

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 May 2021 07:12
NCF wrote:
Labrev wrote:
There was a year or two in the late 80s/early 90s when you could have a reasonable debate about whether Sharpe had caught Rice as the best WR in football at that moment. But as Rice's career started first and continued long after Sharpe's was cut short, those debates were short-lived
Sterling Sharpe is in the same sentence as the late great Willie Wood ............ greatest Packer in the Modern Era at his position (sorry James Lofton). There is at least one other that is unsung with respect to the Pro Football Hall of Fame but is well deserving as well ........... Gale Gillingham at Guard (greatest Packer Guard in the Modern Era). The rest of the other Packers Modern Era options are already in the Hall of Fame (Hornung, Taylor, Starr, Ringo, Gregg, White, Jordan, Robinson, Wood, Adderley). Still missing a Tight End and I guess a punter and kicker. Aaron Jones has promise but still a long way to go. We'll have to see how Bakh does ..........

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

NCF wrote:
Labrev wrote:
I'm old enough to remember another HOF WR, James Lofton. In my opinion, Sharpe was better. That's no slight on Lofton. It just seems like Sharpe was as close to a COMPLETE receiver as I ever recall seeing. He had good enough speed, but everything else was even superior to that. Intelligent, good hands, route runner, reads defenses, communicated with the QB, just everything. He was even strong enough to out-muscle LBs for a ball when he needed to.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
08 May 2021 18:40
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 May 2021 07:12
NCF wrote:

Sterling Sharpe is in the same sentence as the late great Willie Wood ............ greatest Packer in the Modern Era at his position (sorry James Lofton). There is at least one other that is unsung with respect to the Pro Football Hall of Fame but is well deserving as well ........... Gale Gillingham at Guard (greatest Packer Guard in the Modern Era). The rest of the other Packers Modern Era options are already in the Hall of Fame (Hornung, Taylor, Starr, Ringo, Gregg, White, Jordan, Robinson, Wood, Adderley). Still missing a Tight End and I guess a punter and kicker. Aaron Jones has promise but still a long way to go. We'll have to see how Bakh does ..........
As good as Bahktiari is, if he ever sniffs the air that Forrest Gregg played in, that'll be saying something. Gregg was an impenetrable fortress. He moved players in the run game and muted them in the pass game. And he too was athletic enough to pull and move in space. Strong, quick, and smart. Typically overwhelmed mere mortals.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
10 May 2021 09:43
NCF wrote:
Labrev wrote:
I'm old enough to remember another HOF WR, James Lofton. In my opinion, Sharpe was better. That's no slight on Lofton. It just seems like Sharpe was as close to a COMPLETE receiver as I ever recall seeing. He had good enough speed, but everything else was even superior to that. Intelligent, good hands, route runner, reads defenses, communicated with the QB, just everything. He was even strong enough to out-muscle LBs for a ball when he needed to.
I agree with everything here only I'd put even more emphasis on his strength and his route-running ability.

Sharpe was all Favre had for several seasons. Sharpe knew it, Favre knew it, and rest assured the defense knew it. That didn't stop Sharpe from coming down with the ball time after time, though. Strong as safety but faster, he'd either out-position or simply out-muscle the defender for the ball.

I'd also add he was absolutely perfect for Green Bay football. As the weather got colder and nastier, Sharpe just got better and better. Much like Edgar Bennett, he just seemed to thrive when the weather turned ugly.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Davante says on Cowherd that what Rodgers does will factor into his future. I’m surprised we hadn’t already heard any news about an extension for him. I’m starting to wonder if the odds would be greater that he leaves than if he stays.

Someone is going to be able to pay him a number that we have no shot at affording, he’s gonna have to want to stay and play here.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
10 May 2021 12:46
Davante says on Cowherd that what Rodgers does will factor into his future. I’m surprised we hadn’t already heard any news about an extension for him. I’m starting to wonder if the odds would be greater that he leaves than if he stays.

Someone is going to be able to pay him a number that we have no shot at affording, he’s gonna have to want to stay and play here.
Honestly at this point, I would be pretty surprised if Davante Adams is a Packer in 2022.

And maybe that is for the best. We got him in his prime years. He is going to get PAID and will likely start seeing drop off in production in 2024 and maybe earlier but will have cap hits of $30 million.

Here we get a restart and a 3rd down comp pick. The more I am thinking about it, the more I am leaning toward resigning MVS on the cheap and then focus on either another FA WR or look at either drafting one early next year or getting one via trade for Rodgers.

I actually wouldn't be surprised one bit if Davante follows Rodgers wherever he goes.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
10 May 2021 12:51
Drj820 wrote:

Honestly at this point, I would be pretty surprised if Davante Adams is a Packer in 2022.

And maybe that is for the best. We got him in his prime years. He is going to get PAID and will likely start seeing drop off in production in 2024 and maybe earlier but will have cap hits of $30 million.

Here we get a restart and a 3rd down comp pick. The more I am thinking about it, the more I am leaning toward resigning MVS on the cheap and then focus on either another FA WR or look at either drafting one early next year or getting one via trade for Rodgers.

I actually wouldn't be surprised one bit if Davante follows Rodgers wherever he goes.
like I said, a Rodgers trade should bring us offensive players, cause where going to need them.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:

There were extension talks when they were trying to get under the cap.

They didn't work out; same with Z. The highest paid players on the team are looking for more right now (Z, Adams, and Rodgers) and of course their situations (especially the two on offense) will be linked.

I in no way think it would be "for the best" to move on from Adams, but he is going to command top WR money in the league at the time of signing, for sure. Z we can wait another year before worrying about. Had we gotten Adams done earlier, that might factor into Rodgers' mindset. But since we weren't close enough together to hammer anything out earlier, it makes sense for him to think about leaving if there's a new QB coming in AND he couldn't get the team to pay what he felt he was worth just a couple months ago.

To me this is more of a "yeah, of course" than news. We already knew Adams was on Rodgers' side.

The good news is that we only lose Adams if we lose Rodgers and if we lose Rodgers we can demand a WR as part of the compensation package.

But I still don't want to lose Davante. He's a WR whose game will age pretty well. I mapped up a potential extension that's 4 years, 90 million in new money/new years but has a cap hit of around $10M in each of 21 and 22 (compared to currently $12M in 21) and then balloons to the mid-high 20s in cap number from '23-'25 when the TV money hits. It, along with Jaire and Bakh and Kenny, would keep things relatively tight in those years, but Love will be on a middle-of the league QB second-contract extension for those years that will help keep things affordable while the cap leaps forward.

We're going to need a lot of role-playing and depth from this draft class and the next couple to field a competitive roster behind and beneath our core elite players beyond Rodgers' term here.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2021 13:01
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

like I said, a Rodgers trade should bring us offensive players, cause where going to need them.
Definitely something to consider for sure.

And I am serious too about MVS if he does show progression and improvement in 2021, I would strongly consider resigning him.

It took until 2019 for Davante to REALLY finally take off and be the bonafide top WR we know him today. Before that, he showed glimpses (and yes 2016 - 2018 were better than MVS) but could never put it all together.

It can take time for WRs to get into their zone and if MVS shows that continued progress....he may end up being a steal on a 2nd contract.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

MVS seems highly unlikely to be more than a role playing deep threat. If he improves, he could be a #2. If he is what he is, he should be a #3. That's tough to pay for, even if it's fairly inexpensive. Especially when we need to find a new #1 to maximize the value of that player.

I'd prefer to keep Adams on a big deal and EQSB on a tiny deal and try to draft an improved #2 option with Rodgers in the slot than keep MVS and maybe Lazard on mid-level deals and try to replace the #1 with a draft pick

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
10 May 2021 13:10

And I am serious too about MVS if he does show progression and improvement in 2021, I would strongly consider resigning him.

It can take time for WRs to get into their zone and if MVS shows that continued progress....he may end up being a steal on a 2nd contract.
based on the reports I read, Luke Getsy told MLF/Gute that he would take on MVS as a special project and work with him. Getsy was previously the WR coach and is recognized by many WRs/other coaches for his unique drills and excellent teaching for the position. If your QB coach/Passing Game coordinator is willing to invest extra effort, it bodes well for MVS' continued improvement- and GB could get him on a reasonable deal as noted above
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
10 May 2021 12:33
Scott4Pack wrote:
10 May 2021 09:43
NCF wrote:

I agree with everything here only I'd put even more emphasis on his strength and his route-running ability.

Sharpe was all Favre had for several seasons. Sharpe knew it, Favre knew it, and rest assured the defense knew it. That didn't stop Sharpe from coming down with the ball time after time, though. Strong as safety but faster, he'd either out-position or simply out-muscle the defender for the ball.

I'd also add he was absolutely perfect for Green Bay football. As the weather got colder and nastier, Sharpe just got better and better. Much like Edgar Bennett, he just seemed to thrive when the weather turned ugly.
Adams is about the same with Rodgers as Sterling was to Favre

I doubt you or some other here will agree, but 10 years from now the only receiver anyone will remember from these last couple year of Rodgers will be Adams, mark it down, cause that will be the case.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

It took until 2019 for Davante to REALLY finally take off and be the bonafide top WR we know him today. Before that, he showed glimpses (and yes 2016 - 2018 were better than MVS) but could never put it all together.

read my prior post, you are really underselling Adams

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2021 13:47
Adams is about the same with Rodgers as Sterling was to Favre

I doubt you or some other here will agree, but 10 years from now the only receiver anyone will remember from these last couple year of Rodgers will be Adams, mark it down, cause that will be the case.
From the last "couple of years," sure. He's been the only guy with more than 50 catches or 800 yards in the past two years.

But I'm pretty sure the Rodgers era will be remembered for having a multitude of Pro Bowl receivers--Adams and Jordy and Cobb and Jennings, not to mention James Jones who is fairly forgettable except that he's still a well-liked, appreciated, well-connected-to-Rodgers NFL analyst.

Hopefully we'll have others to remember in the "next couple of years"

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2021 13:49
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

read my prior post, you are really underselling Adams
Yeah, [mention]go pak go[/mention], your timeline is flawed here. Adams broke out in the second half of 2016, IMO, with the Run The Table stretch. He was well on his way to another big year and pretty much had become the de facto #1 by this point when Rodgers went down in 2017. Produced more than any of the others with Hundley, as well, although limited stats, obviously. 2018 his stat line exploded and with Jordy already gone, Jimmy sucking, and Cobb hurt, he began his run as pretty much our only WR worth a damn.

Read More. Post Less.