Love SZN: Official Thread of QB1.

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 May 2023 19:10
salmar80 wrote:
19 May 2023 18:54
Drj820 wrote:
19 May 2023 15:14
So what happens if Love gets hurt for a month or so, we just gonna forfeit those games?

Even if we are planning on bringing in foles or wentz all along, I’d rather get them in the building.
What do you think we should do?

Spend cap to bring in a vet, or in case of Love being injured or failing bad, go for the high 2024 draft pick?

Personally, I like option 2
I think that Love has every reason to succeed in every game, at least for the first 50 minutes. He knows the playbook. He has the physical skills. The game has hopefully slowed down for him already. The playbook will be simple at first. And the expectations are going to be reasonable. If Love fails to meet expectations, i think that’ll come in 2025, not 2024.
What experience does Love have that the game should be slowing down for him already?
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
21 May 2023 20:00
Scott4Pack wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Spend cap to bring in a vet, or in case of Love being injured or failing bad, go for the high 2024 draft pick?

I think that Love has every reason to succeed in every game, at least for the first 50 minutes. He knows the playbook. He has the physical skills. The game has hopefully slowed down for him already. The playbook will be simple at first. And the expectations are going to be reasonable. If Love fails to meet expectations, i think that’ll come in 2025, not 2024.
What experience does Love have that the game should be slowing down for him already?
He’s shared a QB room with one of the best to do it for the past three years. Surely, in conversations and film study, he’s gleaned a thing or two to help process the game and recognize crucial reads faster/more efficiently.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
19 May 2023 15:14
So what happens if Love gets hurt for a month or so, we just gonna forfeit those games?

Even if we are planning on bringing in foles or wentz all along, I’d rather get them in the building.

fans in this forum might be reasonable, even that is highly unlikely, but those that go to that stadium for the games wont have that sort of patience, and they certainly will voice there displeasure if Love doesn't do well, and that will happen before the end of 2023, Love isn't going to get 2 seasons to become a good QB, specially if Rodgers does well in N Y.

any competent older vet would be a better backup option then Clifford.

imo Love is more ready now then Rodgers was when he took over for Favre, still anything can happen, and I and fans in the stands wont support tanking the season just because the new young QB sucks or gets injured.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
22 May 2023 07:20
Scott4Pack wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

fans in this forum might be reasonable, even that is highly unlikely, but those that go to that stadium for the games wont have that sort of patience, and they certainly will voice there displeasure if Love doesn't do well, and that will happen before the end of 2023, Love isn't going to get 2 seasons to become a good QB, specially if Rodgers does well in N Y.

imo Love is more ready now then Rodgers was when he took over for Favre, still anything can happen, and I and fans in the stands wont support tanking the season just because the new young QB sucks or gets injured.
That may be but the Packers don't have the salary cap to afford a competent older vet. They can only afford the incompetent ones. As for a competent one, he is going to cost more than Love does. Do you REALLY want your backup QB earning more than Love? How would that fly in the locker room (like a lead balloon I suspect)
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 22 May 2023 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
22 May 2023 08:55
Yoop wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

That may be but the Packers don't have the salary cap to afford a competent older vet. They can only afford the incompetent ones.
There are def a few guys out there with good experience in the past who are now washed, but understand the game and how to be a pro. These include Wentz, Foles, and Ryan

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
22 May 2023 09:09
TheSkeptic wrote:
Yoop wrote:

That may be but the Packers don't have the salary cap to afford a competent older vet. They can only afford the incompetent ones.
There are def a few guys out there with good experience in the past who are now washed, but understand the game and how to be a pro. These include Wentz, Foles, and Ryan
Do you seriously think any of these 3 will sign for less than Love's salary????? How is that showing confidence in your starter??? And where is 3-5 mil in salary cap going to come from?

You admit they are washed up and I agree, but only Foles might be interested at 3 mil. The other 2 would likely cost several times that. And for what? They are washed up, remember, incapable of playing NFL caliber football. You want a coach, hire a coach, he does not count against the salary cap.
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 22 May 2023 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Yoop wrote:

plus probably a few others, no one is asking for the best FA QB out there, or even trading for one, and there are half a doz. that wont break the bank that could at least keep this team competitive should Love lose some time, this Love makes it or it's all over, and we didn't expect to do well this year anyway, well I can't and wont accept that, thats like carrying a sign saying I'am a loser, thing is some of those same QB's will always be around, so we might be able to get one during the season, but thats a iffy proposition at best.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Our top backup in Rodgers's first few years as starter was a 7th-rounder with less pro experience. We'll be fine.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
22 May 2023 09:31
Our top backup in Rodgers's first few years as starter was a 7th-rounder with less pro experience. We'll be fine.
the fact that Rodgers didn't miss a lick back then means LOve wont miss a lick so we'll be fine, people that depend on the past to predict the future are wrong at least as much as they are right.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
Exactly. And if we are not, then we get a better draft pick. No one expects playoffs this season anyway. We hope for it but we don't expect it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
22 May 2023 09:42
Labrev wrote:
the fact that Rodgers didn't miss a lick back then means LOve wont miss a lick so we'll be fine, people that depend on the past to predict the future are wrong at least as much as they are right.
Not the point.
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
22 May 2023 09:52
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Not the point.
what is your point then? time to stop expecting the next couple years to go exactly as they went for Rodgers.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
22 May 2023 10:01
Labrev wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Not the point.
what is your point then? time to stop expecting the next couple years to go exactly as they went for Rodgers.
The point is, Rodgers's development was not hurt by the lack of an older vet in the room.

As for what to do in the event of injury, I think people are overstating the difference between these vet guys like Wentz and whoever that looked pretty awful last we've seen them, versus unproven guys like Etling and Clifford. I don't think the drop-off from one to the other is that severe, if it even exists.

And the advantage of Etling/Clifford is opposing teams don't know what to expect of them. Wentz, Foles, and Ryan have been very thoroughly scouted by the whole league.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Did they keep the Covid rules about practice squad participation? Would be such an epic burn, but appropriate, to offer Matt Ryan a spot on the PS

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I find it ironic that two of the three players you're pining for (Wentz/Foles) had more success before they gained any "experience and how to be a pro" experience than after... :dunno:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 May 2023 10:34
Did they keep the Covid rules about practice squad participation? Would be such an epic burn, but appropriate, to offer Matt Ryan a spot on the PS
no kidding, heck put Clifford on the PS, Ryan is walk on ready, If Love should get knocked out of a game I'd prefer Ryan over either of Etling or Clifford. :idn:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
22 May 2023 10:20
Drj820 wrote:
22 May 2023 10:01
Labrev wrote:

Not the point.
The point is, Rodgers's development was not hurt by the lack of an older vet in the room.
i disagree with the point that because Rodgers developed a certain way, then that means Love will also develop the exact same way.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
22 May 2023 10:41
Drj820 wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

I find it ironic that two of the three players you're pining for (Wentz/Foles) had more success before they gained any "experience and how to be a pro" experience than after... :dunno:
Foles peaked in his 7th year in the league when he won the SB.

Wentz was the 2nd overall pick.

Not seeing the irony of the situation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Foles best statistical year by far was his 2nd year in 2013. Philly won the Super Bowl in his 6th year (2017), in which he started 3 regular season games with a QB Rating 40.7 points lower than 2013.

Carson Wentz, before injury in 2017, had his best statistical season.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:
21 May 2023 20:00
Scott4Pack wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Don’t get me wrong. He still needs full-time playing for the game speed to normalize for him. But even with the limited amount of playing time that he’s had, he’s still significantly better off than he would be if he had only been sitting for three years.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!