Packers @ Colts GDT 3:25 Sunday 11/22/20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:42
Christo wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:29
go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:27

:rotf: :rotf: Dude I am the same.

I honestly couldn't sleep last night I was so mad. It was the first time I couldn't sleep I think since the Hawks 14 Ship game. I mean I am MAD.

And I like that. I like that this team is making me care that much. It also means that I was pleasantly surprised. We played so much better then I thought we would yesterday. And then we let it crumble so hard.

But time to right this ship. Not another loss this year. 13 wins I believe still gets us that bye. Or at least the odds are high. Our run the table starts now. :lombardi:
Not understanding how you can say, they played so much better than you thought they would, when they took an entire half off?
I honestly believe this loss broke they're backs.
This is a mentally soft group of players. Saw some stupid comment Rodgers said yesterday, he's proud of the way they fought. Are you F-ing kidding me?
These guys laid down and rolled up in the fetal position when it got tough, and he's proud of that???
Because I am a fan and that is what fans do. I literally can't help it.
Ha I respect that GPG, but just to add to the convo...I don’t think we played better. We came out hot and had a good offensive first half. The run d when the d wasn’t gassed was better! But it’s not like they were some offensive juggernaut team, or even a great running team. I think we lost because we played bad via turnovers, special teams and the second half offense was just gross. I mean the special teams issues weren’t just the return game, JK Scott was awful!

So even tho we did look better is some areas, I can’t say we played well or better than I thought we would. We played like we deserved to lose against a decent team. Lots of the things bad we did can be pretty easily fixed, but the fact that it’s the same kinda stuff and we haven’t fixed any of it makes me think we are who we are.

Good team, playoff team, maybe win a playoff game, and then Itl be time to get ready to draft someone we might see on the field in three years.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

For all the ways we looked disappointing yesterday, I don't think "soft" was one of them. Lack of execution and discipline (especially on D and ST), but not a lack of energy.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:55
For all the ways we looked disappointing yesterday, I don't think "soft" was one of them. Lack of execution and discipline (especially on D and ST), but not a lack of energy.
This is what I mean by better.

They acted like they gave a darn.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:55
Not soft as in, not wanting to play or not hitting, because we did those things. Soft as in play on defense, not wanting to give up big plays.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:58
Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:38
Drj820 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:25
I actually woke up more grumpy about the loss than I was last night...hmm... :dunno:

Anyways, something else I really don’t understand, can’t Aaron Jones and Jamaal be on the field at the same time?
Sometimes, but rarely one is at WR, while one is in the backfield.

But it just seems both are earning reps, both have value, and it’s not like we have 3 or 4 WRs that just MUST be on the field.

Why not have both in the back field in some packages and hand to either at different times, or have one stay in to block while the other goes out for a pass, or have both go to opposite flats while a slot guy runs a slant, thus clearing out the LBs inside, or springing the guy in the flat open?

Just seems they are two assets that could open up another world if they both got on the field at the same time.

These guys are quality players and in the last year of their deals, I hate to see jones on the sideline while healthy for entire drives like he was at the end of the game before OT. Get them both in and put them to work!
I like your idea but I'm wondering if MLF and the offensive coaches want to keep these guys fresh so they alternate series? :idn:
That possibly is the thought process, but if it is true then it tells me Jones is not a 3 down work horse or a bell cow back. It would imply he’s not near the level of “plays in majority of series all game long” Alvin Kamara and that Jones should be paid like a talented rotational back.

I can understand getting a series or two off in game, but if Jones needed to sit that last drive before OT due to fatigue, that hurts his market value bigly in my opinion.

A teams best players should be ready to play against good competition. Requiring breaks is not a top dollar player...even tho I suspect Jones wanted to be in there and was fully capable of helping the team.
Perhaps this was the thinking when they drafted Dillon and wanted to use Adams as the scat back?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:49
I don't think they played well, but they didn't play particularly poorly. Coaching wasn't good either.

That's why I have hope. If we played our best game and didn't cut it, I would have no hope. That didn't happen.

There were some good things in that game and there were some horrendously bad things. We can figure it out, or we can continue to plod through inconsistency. We shall see. I am not going to predict doom and gloom nor am I going to predict Super Bowl Baby!
Good things to talk about:

Scored 31 points on the top D in the league in their house.
Stopped the run pretty well in the first half.
Overcame 3 turnovers in regulation to force OT.
Actually got a TO on defense.
Jenkins filling in nicely at center after Linsley got hurt.
Clark looking like his old self in there.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
Christo wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I honestly couldn't sleep last night I was so mad. It was the first time I couldn't sleep I think since the Hawks 14 Ship game. I mean I am MAD.

And I like that. I like that this team is making me care that much. It also means that I was pleasantly surprised. We played so much better then I thought we would yesterday. And then we let it crumble so hard.

But time to right this ship. Not another loss this year. 13 wins I believe still gets us that bye. Or at least the odds are high. Our run the table starts now. :lombardi:
Not understanding how you can say, they played so much better than you thought they would, when they took an entire half off?
This is a mentally soft group of players. Saw some stupid comment Rodgers said yesterday, he's proud of the way they fought. Are you F-ing kidding me?
These guys laid down and rolled up in the fetal position when it got tough, and he's proud of that???
I know you're a fan. That's why it stings so bad to watch this team look clueless at times.

And while it's still in my mind. Something I've been wondering about for a little while now. For the past 8 or so years, the Packers have been working on the LB/safety hybrid thing.
It started with Sean Richardson to Ibrahim Campbell and now Raven Greene. If this is such an important position in the scheme the Packers want to use, why don't they spend some draft picks instead of trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat to fill it?
And while I think Greene is a good find, it would be nice to have another player who can fill in when he's down. Don't have much faith in Redmond to handle that spot.
And that goes double for Burks.
Last edited by Christo on 23 Nov 2020 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Yoop wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:40
Christo wrote:
go pak go wrote:

just stop, you confuse playing soft with not playing smart or not coached to be able to play better, players do what coaches tell them to do most of the time, we have a shortage of talent at some key positions, namely ILB and DL on defense and slot receiver on offense, and opposing teams know this, and that limits the ability of not only players but also coaches, I didn't see players not giving it there all yesterday, I saw players out played because they aren't or weren't as talented as the competition.
No, I'll keep on calling soft play as soft play. In no way shape or form can anybody call the receiver's on the Colts stars. Yet, the Pack give them more room than Jerry Rice in his prime.
And it's amazing, now the Packers have a shortage of talent. They went from a deep team to a talent shortage team in a Nano second.
Inside LB isn't a problem, the way they're used is. Saw several times yesterday, on the snap, LBs turn and run down the field, leaving a huge open space for the running backs to slip in and catch easy dump offs and get nice chucks of yardage. Happened all game long.

To say it's a talent problem that this happens is silly.

And to say, I saw players " out played " is embarrassing. That right there screams soft.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

At this point I would just play Kamal Martin as many snaps as possible. The guy likes to find the football and hit somebody. Sure he will overcommit and make rookie mistakes, but i think its worth it to put up with that as we let him learn. I like what i see from him in the limited dosages.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:52
go pak go wrote:
Christo wrote:

Ha I respect that GPG, but just to add to the convo...I don’t think we played better. We came out hot and had a good offensive first half. The run d when the d wasn’t gassed was better! But it’s not like they were some offensive juggernaut team, or even a great running team. I think we lost because we played bad via turnovers, special teams and the second half offense was just gross. I mean the special teams issues weren’t just the return game, JK Scott was awful!

So even tho we did look better is some areas, I can’t say we played well or better than I thought we would. We played like we deserved to lose against a decent team. Lots of the things bad we did can be pretty easily fixed, but the fact that it’s the same kinda stuff and we haven’t fixed any of it makes me think we are who we are.

Good team, playoff team, maybe win a playoff game, and then Itl be time to get ready to draft someone we might see on the field in three years.
Yes, JK Scott was awful, again. My understanding is he's going through some " personal problems " If he can't set that aside and focus for 60 minutes is pretty telling
As far a " fixing things " When the hell does that start to take place? And who's going to do it? The coaches who make up the game plan that let mediocre receiver's run wide open? Or the guy who runs the " not so special " teams? Or the head guy who seems lost as to taking charge and letting some people on his team know that jobs are on the line.

They're are several guys who should be sat down next week. JK Scott and P. Smith come to mind. That might send a message to the team.

But we all know, that's not going to happen.
Last edited by Christo on 23 Nov 2020 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Better make sure we keep Preston Smith on the field then. That's the way we've always done it so that's the way it better be.

Also, I don't want to see Billy Winn activated next week. Can't be having a player come in and make plays like he always does.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 12:52
Better make sure we keep Preston Smith on the field then. That's the way we've always done it so that's the way it better be.

Also, I don't want to see Billy Winn activated next week. Can't be having a player come in and make plays like he always does.
I've been banging the Winn drum for weeks/months. Always seems to make a play or 2 on the limited snaps he gets (7 I think this week). Why he isn't active over Lancaster or Lowry more, I have no idea.

And the Gary/Preston snap counts need to flip-flop.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Christo wrote:
23 Nov 2020 11:03
Yoop wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:40
Christo wrote:

just stop, you confuse playing soft with not playing smart or not coached to be able to play better, players do what coaches tell them to do most of the time, we have a shortage of talent at some key positions, namely ILB and DL on defense and slot receiver on offense, and opposing teams know this, and that limits the ability of not only players but also coaches, I didn't see players not giving it there all yesterday, I saw players out played because they aren't or weren't as talented as the competition.
No, I'll keep on calling soft play as soft play. In no way shape or form can anybody call the receiver's on the Colts stars. Yet, the Pack give them more room than Jerry Rice in his prime.
And it's amazing, now the Packers have a shortage of talent. They went from a deep team to a talent shortage team in a Nano second.
Inside LB isn't a problem, the way they're used is. Saw several times yesterday, on the snap, LBs turn and run down the field, leaving a huge open space for the running backs to slip in and catch easy dump offs and get nice chucks of yardage. Happened all game long.

To say it's a talent problem that this happens is silly.

And to say, I saw players " out played " is embarrassing. That right there screams soft.
so you think those lbers just decided to bail on there zones and run down field, abandoning those zones? NO they did that because they where coached to do it, and if that where actually the case then someone else (safety possibly) would have been tasked with that coverage.

go watch as both P Smith and Kirkley are beaten down the seam in the first half by players they where simply no match to cover, however the alternative to cover those guys was Raven Green, faster but to light to defend the run, Pettine started the 2nd half in that hybrid scheme, and the Colts ran over Green for like, ever, (6 plays and a TD), the problem is we can't cover in base and we can't stop the run to well in nickle or a 3 safety scheme, been like this forever because we wont invest big money or resources at ILB.

why you equate poor play with playing soft doesn't even make sense, and off coverage is not something a player decides to do,thats how it's taught, sure some of it is simply a CB respecting the ability of the player he's covering (Jerry Rice, good one :lol: ) something our coaches and players saw on film gave them the impression the colts receivers where all Jerry Rice wannabe cloners, and gave them due recognition :lol: still thats a coaching thing

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

So if they sit Preston (which they won't 'cause that's not how this team works), who takes his role as coverage OLB? His rush/run snaps can easily go to Gary with Garvin as backup.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
23 Nov 2020 13:13
So if they sit Preston (which they won't 'cause that's not how this team works), who takes his role as coverage OLB? His rush/run snaps can easily go to Gary with Garvin as backup.
How bout we like.....don't put OLB in a coverage role as much as a starter?

I mean the Colts completely baited Preston being the coverage role on their TE TD. That was a specific play design to attack our weakness.

And it was unfortunately one of Preston's best coverage plays he's done. I'm not mad at Preston. He did as good a job as he could.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Here' a thought. Just spit ballin here.

If you only want to draft and sign BIG Outside linebackers. Like 270+....maybe don't have your defense also require the OLBs to be in coverage? :idn:
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
23 Nov 2020 13:00
go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 12:52

I've been banging the Winn drum for weeks/months. Always seems to make a play or 2 on the limited snaps he gets (7 I think this week). Why he isn't active over Lancaster or Lowry more, I have no idea.

And the Gary/Preston snap counts need to flip-flop.
other then Clark, who even coaching can't deny, what about our DL coach impresses you guys? the only guys that seem to elevate there play after coming here are Clark, Daniels, ???? there must be another out of the ten or 12 since Montgomery has been here, as I said, if Pettine goes then I'd like to see all new assistants come in with the new DC.

I know I always say it's usually a talent problem, and it is, but Pettine, Lafluer, and Gute new where our biggest weaknesses where and did basically nothing in the draft to fix them, since I can't and don't want to fire all of them I'll just go with defense and ST's :idn:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 13:20
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
23 Nov 2020 13:13
How bout we like.....don't put OLB in a coverage role as much as a starter?

I mean the Colts completely baited Preston being the coverage role on their TE TD. That was a specific play design to attack our weakness.

And it was unfortunately one of Preston's best coverage plays he's done. I'm not mad at Preston. He did as good a job as he could.
I agree. We ask Preston to do a lot of stuff that its a no brainer he cant do well. Can Burks cover? We know he sucks at run defense, but maybe he could be useful if was brought in just on 3rd and longs and was asked to play man on the guys we always want Preston to cover. I still think never asking Preston to do anything like that again as we put him in a 3 point stance where Lowry usually lines up, and have Gary rush the passer beside him might be the best set up we have. Most of the stuff we get mad at our guys for is due to the coaches asking them to do stuff its obvious they cant do.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Anyway, two things:

1) I just can't figure out Pettine. He showed glimpses of a good scheme when we had a talent shortage in 2018 and last year was better than we expected* going into the season, but this year he's thoroughly mediocre. I don't see how a regression to the mean by Z and Preston could set the whole defense back so much. And we mostly have the same issues regardless of whether key players like Clark, Jaire, and King are in or out. Does he need Rex Ryan and Darrelle Revis to make this scheme work???

2) I was all for giving Mennenga the benefit of the doubt, but when he trotted Shepherd out there again right after the fumble I lost any hope I had in him. Christ, we had Jamal, MVS, Taylor, and Jackson as fallbacks standing right there! At least he's significantly better than Zook, which is something, I guess...

*Except of course the 49ers games
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi