Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I used to be all for paying college athletes until the argument was brought up about small school and what they can afford. Now Im against it.

Its already bad enough Alabama gets the pick of the litter from every pipeline in the country.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Jun 2021 14:16
I used to be all for paying college athletes until the argument was brought up about small school and what they can afford. Now Im against it.

Its already bad enough Alabama gets the pick of the litter from every pipeline in the country.
I wonder if long term NCAA football/basketball looks like the NFL - salary capped. This is how the NFL stays competitive yet skirts anti-trust law.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

At first glance this seems like a great ruling for my political side, so I'm happy about it. Also, it seems like it's a good ruling in terms of what is just, so that's another reason I'm happy about it. But that being said, tough for me to pinpoint all of the future ramifications, so I don't have a strong opinion yet.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
21 Jun 2021 19:46
At first glance this seems like a great ruling for my political side, so I'm happy about it. Also, it seems like it's a good ruling in terms of what is just, so that's another reason I'm happy about it. But that being said, tough for me to pinpoint all of the future ramifications, so I don't have a strong opinion yet.
I'm not gonna sit here an pretend that I'm "happy" that all of these other leech extra curricular programs like sports outside of football and basketball or arts programs need to be subsidized by the revenue generating sports and especially tuition. The cost of college is insane and a tremendous burden on those who want to get an education and so the thought of subsidizing someone to play water polo to me ridiculous.

That being said, removing these leech programs would also have consequences to local communities and society as a whole.

Hopefully a middle ground can be reached where players get some compensation for the likeness being used. But we all know middle ground usually isn't how the world works.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

:tiphat:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCAA can blame only itself for Supreme Court blow

It dragged its feet on things as reasonable as granting small stipends to student-athletes who need basic spending money and can’t get part-time jobs due to the demands of being a Division I athlete. Why? Because it could, until it finally couldn’t.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ncaa-can-o ... 12658.html

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
22 Jun 2021 08:21

Hi Carl, I'm NCF. Don't care one way or another. Whatever floats your boat.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
22 Jun 2021 08:33
BF004 wrote:

In a general sense, ideally, anytime you are the first to do something, historic, controversial, whatever, you deserve some love and recognition.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
22 Jun 2021 08:33
BF004 wrote:

Yeah, I suppose it's significant in an historic sense but ultimately I couldn't care less personally.

I suppose I'd have gained a greater appreciation if he'd have simply informed his circle of family, friends, and teammates on a personal level as a matter of courtesy to avoid any unnecessary misunderstandings or locker room drama.

But whatevs.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Actually I really admire how Nassib went about it.

He didn't have the pomp and circumstance like that other dude from Missouri had a few years ago before the draft.

Literally everyone will forget about this by tomorrow.

Good for him.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jun 2021 10:48

He didn't have the pomp and circumstance like that other dude from Missouri had a few years ago before the draft.

Good for him.
Yeah, Im a cynic at heart and the first thing i did was look at his contract situation to see if he was a threat to be cut. Thought this would make it very hard to cut him. But after reviewing the details, seems he really just wanted to lead the way in a low key way and give some visibility for others who may feel they cant come out. I am sure his teammates already knew. It is probably NBD to them, and certainly NBD to a city like Vegas. Good for him.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Jun 2021 10:55
go pak go wrote:

Good for him.
Yeah, Im a cynic at heart and the first thing i did was look at his contract situation to see if he was a threat to be cut. Thought this would make it very hard to cut him. But after reviewing the details, seems he really just wanted to lead the way in a low key way and give some visibility for others who may feel they cant come out. I am sure his teammates already knew. It is probably NBD to them, and certainly NBD to a city like Vegas. Good for him.
My guess is there are at least like 10 players in the league who are gay and teammates, coaches etc. already know. Like most things, I bet 10% of the team has a problem with it but most could give a rats a$$.

But as most here say, the rest of us as a country don't really care. Now I do think that is also cool that we are at a point where it's like "who cares". That in itself is progress. Even ESPN is likely going to see that this is not a new story like that last fellow who I can't remember (think he was drafted by the Rams)
Yoop wrote:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jun 2021 11:00
Drj820 wrote:
22 Jun 2021 10:55
go pak go wrote:

Good for him.
My guess is there are at least like 10 players in the league who are gay and teammates, coaches etc. already know. Like most things, I bet 10% of the team has a problem with it but most could give a rats a$$.

But as most here say, the rest of us as a country don't really care. Now I do think that is also cool that we are at a point where it's like "who cares". That in itself is progress. Even ESPN is likely going to see that this is not a new story like that last fellow who I can't remember (think he was drafted by the Rams)
Yep. Michael Sam. It was so overblown to the point where I felt that it almost hampered the progress we had made as a society.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

In the 1990s I did organizing work for the Human Rights Campaign. This was around the time of the Matthew Shepard torture and murder. Even in liberal college towns I routinely had people threaten to kill me if I knocked on their door again. That this is "no big deal" shows how far the nation has come on this issue. I'm thankful for that.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
22 Jun 2021 11:13
In the 1990s I did organizing work for the Human Rights Campaign. This was around the time of the Matthew Shepard torture and murder. Even in liberal college towns I routinely had people threaten to kill me if I knocked on their door again. That this is "no big deal" shows how far the nation has come on this issue. I'm thankful for that.
I still have relatives who think like that. Certainly have a ways to go but definitely has made progress.

Progress is funny because it almost always requires uncomfortable "in your face" action at first and then slowly people come around.

So when people are like, "I'd be okay with it if they weren't annoying or weren't in my face about it"....it's like dude. Have you ever read a history book? That is literally the playbook of how this stuff happens. Change doesn't happen otherwise.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Let's not undersell it though. It is a big deal that he is the first active NFL player to come out. It shows us that these guys were not comfortable coming out in a sport such as football. It shows us that they may now be feeling comfortable enough with those around them to come out. It is not his sexual orientation that is a big deal or any deal at all, it's the acceptance or lack there of. As much as some want to sweep it under the rug there is still a LARGE portion of the population that is actively against homosexuals and I would bet that proportion is no less small in the NFL.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jun 2021 07:55
texas wrote:
21 Jun 2021 19:46
I'm not gonna sit here an pretend that I'm "happy" that all of these other leech extra curricular programs like sports outside of football and basketball or arts programs need to be subsidized by the revenue generating sports and especially tuition. The cost of college is insane and a tremendous burden on those who want to get an education and so the thought of subsidizing someone to play water polo to me ridiculous.

That being said, removing these leech programs would also have consequences to local communities and society as a whole.

Hopefully a middle ground can be reached where players get some compensation for the likeness being used. But we all know middle ground usually isn't how the world works.
Part of my thinking is pretty basic, but it's basically- anything that can weaken higher education is a good thing since there's pretty much no bigger overpriced scam in the world today than the US university system. So that being the case, I'm thinking this could help lower tuition costs eventually. But they're out of control.

Plus it's just not fair for these athletes not to be compensated for their work while the fat cats at the top rake in the big bucks. They're not slaves, as people sometimes bring up, but that analogy does have some merit.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I'm generally anti-gay. Well, moreso anti-LGBT movement. But I thought he handled it about as well as possible, and his donation went to a good cause. So whereas Michael Sam was annoying and I rooted against him, Carl Nassib has done nothing wrong.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jun 2021 11:56
Progress is funny because it almost always requires uncomfortable "in your face" action at first and then slowly people come around.
Can't teach old dogs new tricks is a thing. Think one way your whole life for 50+ years, sub-consciously can't kick it. Some things just take a generation (or 2 if not 3) in this case to essentially fully move on.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Jun 2021 14:16

Then what does it change, really?

I will admit to not having fully thought this one out, but I am not sure that this aspect of the argument against it is truly persuasive considering the status-quo. And if it's going to be like that regardless, I rather more of the money goes to the athletes (for a host of reasons).

In any case, there has to be some way(s) we can level the playing field between different-sized programs without necessarily maintaining this system where athletes hardly get anything for their backbreaking contribution.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto