Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

So, with the previous re-dos (Bahktiari, etc), how much have we trimmed to date?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Billy may be sad but he also should be a little happy. I bet he gets good money somewhere after how versatile he proved to be in GB

Also, if I’m adams, I ain’t playing on the tag either. He should be traded to Vegas.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Mar 2022 09:52
Billy may be sad but he also should be a little happy. I bet he gets good money somewhere after how versatile he proved to be in GB

Also, if I’m adams, I ain’t playing on the tag either. He should be traded to Vegas.
He'd have to agree to it. Going to be hard to get anything from Adams in a trade and I doubt the Packers entertain offers that aren't outstanding.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
14 Mar 2022 09:50
So, with the previous re-dos (Bahktiari, etc), how much have we trimmed to date?
I want to say around $50M but that seems a bit high, but might be close. Around $26M today and I think about the same with Bahk, Jones, and Clark restructures.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Took a break from Packers talk until we get a sense of what next year's team will be. There were too many variables.

But now that we have Rodgers back, Adams will be back but the franchise tag is working out exactly how we all expected.

Cutting Z and extending Preston was the Smith brothers combo move I supported to clear space. Preston Smith back on a 5-year deal for basically the same money as Michael Gallup in Dallas (0.5 mil per year higher). That feels about right.

Shocked at cutting Billy Turner even though a million people liked it. Just such small savings for a starting RT.

I was going to wait 2 more days to get to the real start of the new league year, but too much action to not start thinking about it.

I will note, bringing Rodgers back on an extension, for 2022 cap purposes, is almost the same as trading him. Basically they'll be a little higher than the absolute minimum dead money he would have counted, but only by, say, a Billy Turner amount. I talked about that some with, I think, Texas, back in the day when I wanted him traded but Texas wanted to keep him and I pointed out that for the short term, the cap plan could be essentially the same.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Not a big surprise.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

paco wrote:
14 Mar 2022 10:00
Scott4Pack wrote:
I want to say around $50M but that seems a bit high, but might be close. Around $26M today and I think about the same with Bahk, Jones, and Clark restructures.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
14 Mar 2022 09:56
Drj820 wrote:

He'd have to agree to it. Going to be hard to get anything from Adams in a trade and I doubt the Packers entertain offers that aren't outstanding.
The Packers are not trying to trade Adams. They're trying to keep him. It'll be fine. They have until July to work that out, though it would be nice for the cap if they did it between now and 4pm Wednesday. That, I'm not counting on.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Why don’t you think Adams would agree to go somewhere that he can get a new deal, and why do you think his market won’t be hot?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Mar 2022 10:02
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

The Packers are not trying to trade Adams. They're trying to keep him. It'll be fine. They have until July to work that out, though it would be nice for the cap if they did it between now and 4pm Wednesday. That, I'm not counting on.
Totally agree. Tons of time to get it done. But different decisions need to be made in the next couple of days if a deal isn't done. Going to be more cuts to fit in that big tag number compared to a new deal.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Mar 2022 10:04
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Why don’t you think Adams would agree to go somewhere that he can get a new deal, and why do you think his market won’t be hot?
The Packers have to agree and Adams would have to agree on a new deal with the team before the trade would take place. It just isn't going to happen because the Packers want to keep him.

Remember, Adams is not technically tradeable right now because he's been tagged and hasn't signed it.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Interesting that Cobb and Crosby still have jobs

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Mar 2022 10:07
It's barely past 10am. Give it time. 0 chance Cobb plays under his current contract.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
I've heard some chatter that both might re-do deals rather than be released. But we still have 2 days of cost-cutting moves to digest, so no need to worry about who is still here today :mrgreen:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Mar 2022 10:10
Drj820 wrote:
I've heard some chatter that both might re-do deals rather than be released. But we still have 2 days of cost-cutting moves to digest, so no need to worry about who is still here today :mrgreen:
I don’t even want Crosby back. I want a kicker that can kick the kickoff out of the back of the end zone after Holloween.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
14 Mar 2022 09:37
Yoop wrote:
14 Mar 2022 08:43
go pak go wrote:
14 Mar 2022 08:38
I'm just not going to get too involved this offseason.

The Packers made their bed. They can figure out how they want to balance this thing.
your just pissed because they didn't do what you want them to
Definitely not the direction I would have gone. I made no bones about that.

So I'm more just now done trying to figure out how they can get it done. If they keep the defense in tact I will be happy. I bet Campbell is gone though which I think we will really struggle with.

But personally pissed? Absolutely not. I don't get personally insulted when an organization does something different than I would do. I deal with companies and organizations all the time. Sometimes they take my advice and other times they don't. Sometimes I was right and sometimes I was not.

Primarily I will not get too involved because I am out of ideas and I am super busy at work as we fired our CFO last week and I am now the CFO. (low key super pumped about this as it has always been my dream job). We hired a CFO coach/consultant in the interim to help train me as I have no experience as a C-level professional, but nonetheless I am the dude and that will likely occupy most my team this year. We are a super fast growing company. It's fun but it's also overwhelming.

I got a learning to do.
:aok: :aok: :aok: :aok: :aok: so happy for you, whether you know it or not, I'am one of your biggest fans, and have missed you, JJ once said that contradicting opinions is what makes a forum work, I know at times we tend to push that to the limit, but thats because we care so much for the team and we want to win, so the cause of our disagreements is a just cause, so please come back as often as you can, again congrats on your promotion :aok:

I sorta wanted a rebuild too, but I tried to put myself in our GM's shoes, he has a loaded roster, and the best QB in the league, he can't think solely about what went wrong prior, rather what he can do to keep this group together to get another shot, unfortunetly we will lose several players, hopefully he can replace some of that production through the draft and UFA

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
Preston went from being on the fans chopping block to a major new deal. Interesting.
I didn't get the feeling fans were thinking he'd be on the chopping block. It was Z that a lot of us thought would be gone instead.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pugger wrote:
14 Mar 2022 10:40
Drj820 wrote:
Preston went from being on the fans chopping block to a major new deal. Interesting.
I didn't get the feeling fans were thinking he'd be on the chopping block. It was Z that a lot of us thought would be gone instead.
I think, hope, he meant prior to last season. Going into 2021, people weren't happy with him.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

context is important in any conversation, after the 2020 season many fans thought we should cut Preston Smith, after the season he had last year most fans want to retain him, one season of play can change fans minds. :lol: