Round 1 (26) - Jordan Love, QB Utah State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Hopefully we drafted him to play WR.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

paco wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:03
go pak go wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:01
I feel bad for Jordan Love too.

This is not a situation I would want to be drafted into.
Yep, he's not getting the usual warm welcome from Packers fans, and maybe players.
Definitely not. I feel for him too, I'm sure this was not a situation he was expecting at all.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers didnt have a great season, but he didnt deserve this middle finger at this time for a prospect like Love. Maybe Burrow.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 22:36
Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 22:35
We can't $%@# pay him for 2 years! Rodgers is untradeable for 2 years! This pick does not help us at all for 2 years...
reminds of someone else we picked in the top 20 under Gutey.
ya really weird stuff, obviously he's thinking of a future without Rodgers, and not so much winning now.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

texas wrote:
23 Apr 2020 22:42
I like the pick. Needed an ILB more, clearly, but Rodgers hasn't been good and if we want to win, he needs to play better than he has, especially in the playoffs against tough defenses.

This either lights a fire under him (which is needed), or it doesn't and then we move on. Time to &%$@ or get off the pot.
This is kind of how I feel. Hust not sure Love is that guy. Physical traits of Mahomes but 1993 Favre decision making. Saw no short or intermediate throws in his highlights. Kid throws a great deep ball though. Good thing he won't play until at least 2022 because he needs the time holding a clipboard.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:05
Drj820 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:04
bud fox wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:03
The whole comparing it to us picking Rodgers - Rodgers was BPA - it was essentially is he going to be number 1.
exactly. Rodgers was a historic slide. Peter King said today on Mad Dog radio that he didnt see Love being drafted tonight. Its not the same at all. Great point.
It's definitely not a fair comparison.
Not at all. Favre was pretty much done, the coaching staff has major talent gaps too. The roster. Everything. Nobody wanted a QB until pick by pick Rodgers was getting closer...and there was just no way you can let him go.

Love .... no.
RIP JustJeff

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

What's more important to this team?

A good QB or a good ILB

Obviously a good QB. If this wakes Rodgers the $%@# up then it will pay out so much more than an ILB would. And if it doesn't wake him up and he implodes, then we don't have to wait 5 years as he declines and we free up so much cap and have a young talented QB (which is how SBs are won in today's NFL).

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

If Rodgers doesn't understand this, that's on him. The situation isn't exactly the same, but damn close. This is no guarantee Love ever beats him out. It also doesn't mean it's a wasted pick. Time will tell. It's the situation the Packers have and everyone has to make the best of it. If they don't, we start over here in 2-5 years.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Alright, I'm off to bed, everyone behave yourself, keep emotion in check, keep it civil.

#PackerStrong #SalWillBanYou #metoo

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

It's just not smart from cap management perspective aswell.

You want a rookie qb to sit a max of 1 year. This way you get play out of them for 5 years before they have a ridiculous cap hit.

If we go from Rodgers to Love after 4 or 5 years we get no time to stock up and invest in other positions.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

THis is 100% a wasted pick for at least 2 years.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

bud fox wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:14
It's just not smart from cap management perspective aswell.

You want a rookie qb to sit a max of 1 year. This way you get play out of them for 5 years before they have a ridiculous cap hit.

If we go from Rodgers to Love after 4 or 5 years we get no time to stock up and invest in other positions.
I think this is the big thing, but there are options along the way. Rodgers can be traded for compensation after 2-3 years. Love can be traded for compensation after 2-3 years. There are fallbacks, but this pick definitely says Gute/LaFleur think Love is the guy sooner rather than later.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:16
That's a stupid way to look at it. Of course it is. It's not a pick that is made with a 1-2 year outlook in mind.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:10
Alright, I'm off to bed, everyone behave yourself, keep emotion in check, keep it civil.

#PackerStrong #SalWillBanYou #metoo
image.png
image.png (69.14 KiB) Viewed 818 times
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Total contract (4 years) for slot 26 player this year. $11,254,202
Last edited by paco on 23 Apr 2020 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Unless you love Jordan Love, not Gutey, but you...the fan. Unless you love Jordan Love, than you have to admit you dont like the pick. Like very smart person Bud just said, its horrible from a cap perspective. We had to give up a 4th to get him. We had our ILB of the future in Queen ready to go grab, and we passed. Similar to how last year we had Simmons ready to be drafter, and we passed for a guy who didnt help us last year.
We gave Rodgers a massive deal, and now drafted a guy who was not on everyones board to even go in the first round.

Gutey has not earned the benefit of the doubt. This was a bad pick, when we had so many other tremendous needs.

Why does it seem like we are punting on the next couple of years when we made it to the NFC championship game this year and every other teams puts all their chips on the middle of the table when their HOF aging qb is near the end?
Last edited by Drj820 on 23 Apr 2020 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:18
Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:16
That's a stupid way to look at it. Of course it is. It's not a pick that is made with a 1-2 year outlook in mind.
I think a lot of it is stemming from, then we're wasting two more years of Rodgers.

Obviously emotions are really high right now, but from a lot of people's perspectives it feels exactly that. Especially considering the circumstance, the talent on the board, and the make up of the roster.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We $%@# traded up to get a guy who almost assuredly will not start for 2 year and if he does we have a $30 million QB who is sitting on the bench. We could really ure that bench money to spend on things we missed out on in this draft like a WR or an ILB, or an OT...
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 23 Apr 2020 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Average salary for top paid 17 backup QB's going into 2019 was about $3.5M/year. Just for some more data.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Did we acquire Favre or Rodgers in moves that made sense at the time.

:censored: no.

We traded the 19th overall pick for a drunk of a second rounder who did nothing in his rookie season, except throw half of his 4 throws to the other team.

We picked a guy with the 24th pick with zero need at QB. Destined to be another Jeff Tedford -coached failure.

Us trading up and picking Love makes no sense to me, but neither did acquiring Favre and Rodgers.