Training Camp 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
27 Jul 2022 11:12
BF004 wrote:
27 Jul 2022 10:52
~2.7 million.
That doesn't line up with my narrative.

:swear:
So then make the number up and say, "I don't have time to look up everything" when called out. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Jul 2022 12:23
Ok, so interesting OL nuggets.

Starters were:
Nijmen - JRJ - Myers - Hanson - Newman

Second Team was:
Tom - Menet - Hanson - Rhyan - CVL
I have been saying for some time that Hanson was going to make the 53.

That second team is scary. Only Hanson is not a rookie or not on the PS last season.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Ooh that is a *sexy* starting defense! 8-)

Tom at LT is happening yessssss Operation Bakhtiari 2.0 is well underway!! :twisted:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Jul 2022 12:57
YoHoChecko wrote:
Ok, so interesting OL nuggets.

Starters were:

Second Team was:
I have been saying for some time that Hanson was going to make the 53.

That second team is scary. Only Hanson is not a rookie or not on the PS last season.
Gotta be cheap somewhere on the roster. That's why we've drafted 3 OL in each of the past three drafts.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
27 Jul 2022 13:05
TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Jul 2022 12:57
YoHoChecko wrote:
Starters were:

Second Team was:
Gotta be cheap somewhere on the roster. That's why we've drafted 3 OL in each of the past three drafts.
I mean, sure, if you're looking right now, with our two best OL on the shelf. As far as our roster goes,

Starters are:
Bakhtiari - JRJ - Myers - Hanson - Jenkins

Second Team is:
Nijmen - CVL? - Hanson - Rhyan - Newman

Tom or Newman might be LG2 when at full strength, who knows

Looking at a 2-deep when 2 injuries have already occurred is always going to be thin. No team has 12 starting-caliber OL.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

:ambulance: Injury update tweets :ambulance:

This is bad news. Bak didn't have his surgery immediately after season ended, rather before OTAs... :x
_

This is better. But will be interesting to know what kind of a procedure he had. Doesn't sound like a full new ACL surgery, but not minor either.
_

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I know there is more to the story, but it always seems like players find June or later to suddenly have these "cleanup" surgeries.

Like what were you doing February - April?
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jul 2022 13:25
I know there is more to the story, but it always seems like players find June or later to suddenly have these "cleanup" surgeries.

Like what were you doing February - April?
In Bak's case, probably giving it one last try to see whether rest cures it.

They may do some deeper medicals during OTAs that reveal need for these things.

Something like that, but not sure. One would think you'd do a full end-of-season medical, but I don't think that happens. :idn:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Takeaways:

-- Jenkins looks really good running agility drills. I guess he learned from Bakhtiari how NOT to rehab your knee. For those worried about our OL (*raises hand*), looks like help is on the way soon.
-- Lazard is the clear WR1 at the moment, appears to have come to camp lighter, looks quicker.
-- Cobb looks very quick out there for 31.
-- Christian Watson on hand, walking through drills and taking mental reps. Has a sleeve on the right knee he's rehabbing.
-- RB stable looks strong.
-- Aaron Rodgers is switching from QB to WR.
(+ Quick peek at TE drills, nothing that noteworthy).
—Magneto

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

It's day one so I'm not penciling in Hanson anywhere just yet. If anything I would say he was on 1st and 2nd team to get looks and reps to back up both center and RG. He just never shown anything to me that he's good and I'm expecting Rhyan to beat him out by time the preseason is over.

Nice to hear Doubs making plays. I think he's going to be a steal

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
27 Jul 2022 13:45
It's day one so I'm not penciling in Hanson anywhere just yet. If anything I would say he was on 1st and 2nd team to get looks and reps to back up both center and RG. He just never shown anything to me that he's good and I'm expecting Rhyan to beat him out by time the preseason is over.
I don't think anyone is penciling him anywhere with the starters, but like you said, being RG1 and C2 in practice does show he's a good bet for the roster and being the top backup at both positions if he doesn't win a starting job.

I'm not sure when/how you would have seen anything from him good or bad, though, so it's more that he's never shown anything at all, not that he's shown up and not been good.

I think of him in the Evan Dietrich-Smith/Lucas Patrick mold of a steady, cheap, interior backup who knows his stuff and can start in a pinch, which is an extremely necessary team-building role. If he turns into more than that, fine. But he's clearly carving out a shot at that role, at the least. I also hope Rhyan beats him out to start at RG.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Excited to see Newman at RT, I really like that fit for him better. Could be like Turner where he is better out there vs. inside, not so common.

Short of getting super lucky on Rhyan or Tom pulling a Bak and being an all-pro LT by next year, Jenkins most likely to be our long term fill in there if Bak doesn't make this recovery. Sadly meaning he will likely more than take over Bak's contract. But either way, need a ton of these young rookies to fill in the other spots given our cap struggles in the future. So I like Newman at tackle to be honest, little less thought, little more pure athleticism and talent. I just don't think he'll have it at guard ever, so I do like him getting a fair shot there. Even if it takes another year to bulk up an perfect his craft, he'd look good out there for 2 cheap years.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Jul 2022 16:13
Backthepack4ever wrote:
27 Jul 2022 13:45
I don't think anyone is penciling him anywhere with the starters, but like you said, being RG1 and C2 in practice does show he's a good bet for the roster and being the top backup at both positions if he doesn't win a starting job.

I'm not sure when/how you would have seen anything from him good or bad, though, so it's more that he's never shown anything at all, not that he's shown up and not been good.

I think of him in the Evan Dietrich-Smith/Lucas Patrick mold of a steady, cheap, interior backup who knows his stuff and can start in a pinch, which is an extremely necessary team-building role. If he turns into more than that, fine. But he's clearly carving out a shot at that role, at the least. I also hope Rhyan beats him out to start at RG.
I was impressed with Hanson last year in the PS. He was absolute dog poop his first year but wasn't last year.

He is a great type of pick you like. Late Day 3 guy who just progresses every year to eventually and hopefully be a competent backup. These are the good ones. Cheap enough to stick around as a backup vet and add value depth for many years. Hopefully this is what he turns out to be.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
27 Jul 2022 16:21
Excited to see Newman at RT, I really like that fit for him better. Could be like Turner where he is better out there vs. inside, not so common.

Short of getting super lucky on Rhyan or Tom pulling a Bak and being an all-pro LT by next year, Jenkins most likely to be our long term fill in there if Bak doesn't make this recovery. Sadly meaning he will likely more than take over Bak's contract. But either way, need a ton of these young rookies to fill in the other spots given our cap struggles in the future. So I like Newman at tackle to be honest, little less thought, little more pure athleticism and talent. I just don't think he'll have it at guard ever, so I do like him getting a fair shot there. Even if it takes another year to bulk up an perfect his craft, he'd look good out there for 2 cheap years.
I always thought of Newman more of a RT too and Rhyan as a RG.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jul 2022 16:45
I always thought of Newman more of a RT too and Rhyan as a RG.
I am genuinely excited about the run blocking on that side with those two. I'm not really sure why, even; it just fits.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Anyone have time to post essentials from today's camp? I'm working nights, and surprisingly busy....

https://twitter.com/i/lists/33786461?s=20

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I did most of them last year.

Now I'm too busy so I can't do it. Does look like anyone is taking the load.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

^

From Bas's "Day 2 takeaways" video...

-- Starting OL was {- Tom _ JRJ _ Myers _ Newman _ Nijman -} (Zach Tom Bakhtiari Arc is real!)
-- Doubs had another strong showing: held onto a slant despite getting knocked over when colliding with Savage, caught an out against Campbell, got a TD over Stokes
-- Winfree also continues impressing; Danny Davis and Samori Toure had TD catches from Jordan Love
-- Tyler Goodson showing good receiving ability
-- Gary has picked up where he left off, getting lots of "sacks"
-- Defense had the better day today
-- Shawn Davis lined up all over the place, seems to be the clear #3 Safety
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I watched a Larry McCarron segment and apparently Doubs stacked another impressive day. Zach Tom also got some time with the starters at LT. Toms was also well spoken during his locker interview and just sounds like a good, intelligent dude. Good qualities in a LT.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Training Camp Day 2 Twitter: