Round 2 (62) - A.J. Dillon, RB Boston College

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Apr 2020 01:51
Not a fan. I hate the pick. If anyone kept up with my mocks the thing I was big on was explosive playmakers who can beat an entire defense if they make a mistake. You look at what the 49ers and Chiefs have right now and they have game breakers across the board. This team has Jones and thats it. No speed at WR. No speed at TE.
I agree with this sentiment, but it's also grading DIllon for who he isn't rather than for who he is.

I like the player, despite the fact that I dislike that the team hasn't added explosive playmakers around the offense elsewhere.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think what is also just so exciting about Dillon is just look back at last year. We actually had a ton of games where we got up over 3 scores in the game only to see our offense sputter. Not move the chains. And we as fans are holding our breaths to pull the game out.

Dillon should stop that.

MN
at Dallas
at Kansas City
Chicago
Seattle

These are all games I can instantly think of where we had leads of over 3 scores and by the 4th quarter we were sweating bullets.

Just think if we have a runner who can get us even 2 first downs on a drive in the 4th quarter. The opponent has just such a smaller chance of even praying for a comeback at that point.

And if you watch the video, you will see because Boston College's only game was run with Dillon, that AJ Dillon gain more yards against a stacked box than any other running back in college football. And who was 2nd? AJ Dillion with his yards after contact.

Now the one thing I think is important to bring up is your large RBs like Cedric Benson, Marshawn Lynch and Travis Henry all did take a bit of time to get going. Zeke was the other end where he got going immediately.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

It’s the transition to the pros where RBs have to be able to pass protect. In addition to comprehending the playbook and learning to run more defined routes.
Love is the answer…

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Not only do I really like Waldman's videos, but this in particular has our rookie RB running against t defense that contains our 2nd year waiver claim DT (Willis #9) and 7th round rookie EDGE Garvin (#97) on the defensive left, offensive right side of the line. It's been interesting how many times #9's penetration has been part of the read and reactions Dillon makes as pointed out by Waldman.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

This was the pick that gave me the most negative instant reaction of the draft weekend, but I like the possibilities now, both short and long-term. I am having trouble dissecting his athletic profile, though.

I think it was [mention]bud fox[/mention] that pointed out the apparent lack of agility on tape, but the explosive combine numbers point to a dynamic north-south athlete. I am just very curious to see him run in our offense.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Definitely not a shifty runner, but I definitely see and explosive through the hole runner.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Apr 2020 13:01
Definitely not a shifty runner, but I definitely see and explosive through the hole runner.
And the speed to not get caught from behind. Perfect complement to Jones. This RB may be the steal of the draft.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

How many times over the past few years have the Packers failed on 3rd or 4th and 1 yard to go for a 1st down or TD?

I'm not saying they drafted Dillon just for that specific reason but he should help significantly...and maybe break a couple.

I don't like the comparison to Lacy (so I'll compare them :lol: ) because Lacy was fat. After running for 40 yards he would be exhausted. After Dillon runs 40 yards he is still turning on the afterburners.

Dillon carries a lot of his weight in his thighs not his gut. So, I don't think he is as light on his feet as Lacy. But Dillon is probably harder to tackle. Dillon runs north/south with a purpose. It there is a hole, he cuts and turns on the thrusters.

All he needs is a couple blocks.
Love is the answer…

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Foosball wrote:
26 Apr 2020 21:11
It’s the transition to the pros where RBs have to be able to pass protect. In addition to comprehending the playbook and learning to run more defined routes.
welcome back Foosball, Dillon had a couple great blocks in this video, in one he took out two rushers, so it appears he has a jump start to pass pro, hopefully that gets him on the field quicker.

He's a bruiser, just powers through shoulder tackles, the bummer is, it forces DB's to hit the legs, as this video shows it's the easiest and most effective way to take Dillon down, even then he'll punish the tackler, seems more of a designated gap (hole) RB, not so much cut back against the grain, that could be scheme some cause Walden even mentions his ability to flip and go, I like him, I think alternating him with Jones causes different adjustment packages for a defense, more platooning, he finds a way to get the tough yards, great vision, I've tried hard to not like this pick :lol: isn't working.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
28 Apr 2020 14:48
I like him, I think alternating him with Jones causes different adjustment packages for a defense, more platooning, he finds a way to get the tough yards, great vision, I've tried hard to not like this pick isn't working.
:rotf: :mrgreen: :beer2:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Apr 2020 15:02
Yoop wrote:
I like him, I think alternating him with Jones causes different adjustment packages for a defense, more platooning, he finds a way to get the tough yards, great vision, I've tried hard to not like this pick isn't working.
Same for me. I saw RB that I didn't watch in the build up to the draft and my instant reaction was, "I'm out". I can see how this will work, though. I just hope it actually does play out as planned because high in The Draft is a lousy time for a RB to not pan out.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
28 Apr 2020 15:07
YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Apr 2020 15:02
Yoop wrote:
Same for me. I saw RB that I didn't watch in the build up to the draft and my instant reaction was, "I'm out". I can see how this will work, though. I just hope it actually does play out as planned because high in The Draft is a lousy time for a RB to not pan out.
right, plus I had my heart set on Reager or Auiyk, early, or some other receiver in the 2nd, but there is more then one way to move the chains, and if we are going to depend on running it, then a big guy makes sense, our struggles with down and distance are legendary.

I really hope we hit on one of these OL or two, a bigger center and more athletic RG, T would help to.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Here is a scouting report that was leaked.

I think YoHo said he reminded him Jamaal Lewis. The pro scouts agree. :aok:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/AJ+Dillon ... Sneak+Peek
Yoop wrote:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

It will sure be great to see the new rendition of 'Brockington and Lane' in the Packers backfield. Let's get this party started folks :beer2:

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

The more and more I watch, the more and more I like this pick. The Sauce could be a big addition for us, even in 2020.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Packfntk wrote:
29 Apr 2020 07:21
The more and more I watch, the more and more I like this pick. The Sauce could be a big addition for us, even in 2020.
Is that his actual nickname from BC?