Amari Rodgers Cut Thread

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
15 Nov 2022 14:04
Realist wrote:
15 Nov 2022 14:00
LombardiTime wrote:
15 Nov 2022 13:54

I do feel bad for Amari Rodgers to the extent he made it clear he was overmatched as a returner, on both kickoffs and punts, last year and for some strange reason the Packers kept putting him out there to do a job he was clearly incapable of doing this season. That was not an Amari Rodgers' problem it was a Packers coaches and management problem.

However, I do not feel bad for Amari Rodgers when it comes to playing wide receiver. On a team with obvious needs at the position he contributed virtually nothing. Feeling sorry for Rodgers because he was bad at what he was specifically supposed to do makes about as much sense to me as feeling bad for Jace Sternberger or Oren Burks. I only feel bad for Packer fans that those guys were ever taken.
Exactly. It's the Gm's fault.
Didnt we move up to get Amari?

I was excited about drafting Amari, but im just an armchair GM. Pretty embarrassing how bad Gute whiffs on third round picks. Rodgers and Sternberger now on the streets. The team begged for Amari to be decent at any of the two positions we desperately needed help at. Like he could have secured his roster spot and playing time by just not being awful at one of the two spots.

He sucked.
I watched some Amari Youtube clips at Clemson last night just to see what it's like looking at them again with hindsight vision.

Holy smokes. I can see why we got excited. Especially when we see the success of Deebo Samuel. Absolutely shocking when you watch Clemson tape and then see how slow and unathletic Amari looks in a Packers uniform.

I said his first family night that the bright lights syndrome seemed to be an issue. But even that is werid. It's not like he played for NDSU. He played for Clemson!!! Like bright lights should not have been an issue.

Absolutely crazy how random the NFL draft process is.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Realist wrote:
15 Nov 2022 14:06
Wow. The last name $%&# is not allowed? Crazy.
B. O s tick

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2022 14:20
Drj820 wrote:
Realist wrote:

I was excited about drafting Amari, but im just an armchair GM. Pretty embarrassing how bad Gute whiffs on third round picks. Rodgers and Sternberger now on the streets. The team begged for Amari to be decent at any of the two positions we desperately needed help at. Like he could have secured his roster spot and playing time by just not being awful at one of the two spots.

He sucked.
I watched some Amari Youtube clips at Clemson last night just to see what it's like looking at them again with hindsight vision.

Holy smokes. I can see why we got excited. Especially when we see the success of Deebo Samuel. Absolutely shocking when you watch Clemson tape and then see how slow and unathletic Amari looks in a Packers uniform.

I said his first family night that the bright lights syndrome seemed to be an issue. But even that is werid. It's not like he played for NDSU. He played for Clemson!!! Like bright lights should not have been an issue.

He was also a star in the biggest games at Clemson. He produced in more games than just games against Wake Forest. I think he got fat maybe? Im not sure but ya his suckdom surprised me.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2022 14:20
Drj820 wrote:
Realist wrote:

He sucked.

Guty didn't trade up to get him, or did he ? I think we all liked him pre draft, just goes to show, if a top 5 pick can bust out, so can a 3rd rounder.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

A report said that Rodgers returned 68 punts at Clemson with ZERO fumbles.

This year alone, he has fumbled FIVE punts and lost two of them. The first one lost led to a Washington figgy. The second one to Dallas led to a TD that gave them the lead.

Cobb says that “the kid” does all the right things in practice and preparation. He just does things right. But it doesn’t translate to the games at all.

I went to a practice at Lambeau a couple of years ago with my dad and sister. The first punt that Rodgers fielded, he fumbled. He also fumbled after he fielded a catch from Aaron Rodgers. Ever since then, I’ve only feared watching him catch anything.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

The Packers did indeed trade their 3rd round and a 4th round pick to the Titans in order to select Amari Rodgers.

"When Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst traded up for Amari Rodgers in the third round of the NFL Draft on Friday, the team lost on the trade-value chart as well as in the court of public opinion.

WalterFootball.com gave the Packers a D and the Titans an A for the trade. “Why did the Packers trade up for Amari Rodgers? Did they do it for the memes? Even then, who was going to select Amari Rodgers in between pick Nos. 86-91? It was so odd that they traded up when there were plenty of receivers available of Rodgers' caliber. They basically flushed a fourth-round pick down the toilet. This obviously means the Titans won this trade.”

Gutekunst, obviously, doesn’t care about the grade. He wanted the player he considered drafting in the second round.

“Immediately after I got off the phone [with the Myers pick], I turned around to see if we could get back up to get Amari,” Gutekunst said afterward. “A couple of my guys had gone down to get something to eat, so we had to get everybody back on the phones fast. But we were trying pretty significantly to get up to go get Amari. It took us a little while longer than we wanted to.”

Trying to get into the middle of the third round, Gutekunst said four or five deals fell through before he finally was able to make the trade with the Titans.

“We paid a little bit of a price but I thought it was important because of the value of the player I wanted,” Gutekunst said."

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/ana ... ri-rodgers

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

LombardiTime wrote:
15 Nov 2022 15:55
The Packers did indeed trade their 3rd round and a 4th round pick to the Titans in order to select Amari Rodgers.

"When Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst traded up for Amari Rodgers in the third round of the NFL Draft on Friday, the team lost on the trade-value chart as well as in the court of public opinion.

WalterFootball.com gave the Packers a D and the Titans an A for the trade. “Why did the Packers trade up for Amari Rodgers? Did they do it for the memes? Even then, who was going to select Amari Rodgers in between pick Nos. 86-91? It was so odd that they traded up when there were plenty of receivers available of Rodgers' caliber. They basically flushed a fourth-round pick down the toilet. This obviously means the Titans won this trade.”

Gutekunst, obviously, doesn’t care about the grade. He wanted the player he considered drafting in the second round.

“Immediately after I got off the phone [with the Myers pick], I turned around to see if we could get back up to get Amari,” Gutekunst said afterward. “A couple of my guys had gone down to get something to eat, so we had to get everybody back on the phones fast. But we were trying pretty significantly to get up to go get Amari. It took us a little while longer than we wanted to.”

Trying to get into the middle of the third round, Gutekunst said four or five deals fell through before he finally was able to make the trade with the Titans.

“We paid a little bit of a price but I thought it was important because of the value of the player I wanted,” Gutekunst said."

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/ana ... ri-rodgers
wow, I had forgotten all of that, thanks for the recollection, obviously Rodgers hasn't been the player Guty thought he was drafting, not even similar, my first impression was that he was trying to hard, but he makes poor decisions far to often and for to long to just be that, time to move on.

of the 11 3rd round misses, 5 are tough positions to transfer, 2 TE's and 3 DL, plenty fail at those two positions.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Acrobat wrote:
15 Nov 2022 08:31
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
14 Nov 2022 18:17
According to what I could find on the internet:

In 12 seasons Willie Wood fielded 187 punts and only fumbled 6 times.

In 1996 Desmond Howard fielded 58 punts and only fumbled 1 time.

MLF should be fired for letting this Amari Rodgers fumbling situation continue.
Who would you replace MLF with? Is there a better Head Coach candidate out there right now or next offseason?
I don't know. But what I do know is we need another head coaching change.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

wallyuwl wrote:
15 Nov 2022 13:13
I don't wish ill will on the guy, he just wasn't a good enough football player to compete at the NFL level and do well. He will have to do a different job like the rest of us. Good thing he got a scholarship at Clemson and should now have a degree to utilize. Few of us had enough ability to get school completely paid for (probably no one here).
There's always the CFL or arena league for cast offs.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
15 Nov 2022 17:20
Acrobat wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
14 Nov 2022 18:17
According to what I could find on the internet:

In 12 seasons Willie Wood fielded 187 punts and only fumbled 6 times.

In 1996 Desmond Howard fielded 58 punts and only fumbled 1 time.

MLF should be fired for letting this Amari Rodgers fumbling situation continue.
Who would you replace MLF with? Is there a better Head Coach candidate out there right now or next offseason?
We should hire Demico Ryan’s as HC and just let Rodgers run his own offense

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
15 Nov 2022 17:29
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
15 Nov 2022 17:20
Acrobat wrote:

We should hire Demico Ryan’s as HC and just let Rodgers run his own offense
I'm thinking we go the Colts route and hire Frank Winters for the rest of the year at least, maybe even Mark Tauscher.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Wish him all the best, but Amari just didn't cut it. When you can't catch punts and can't separate as a WR and have no other tools, whatcha gonna do?

Wasting 2 picks and a lot of time into him is preeeetty bad...

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I hated the Amari pick. I think I had him as a late round guy. I just wasn’t impressed by him and for as small as he was I thought he looked slow and I thought his route running and hands were poor for a slot guy.

Afterwards I tried to talk myself into the pick and be positive about it but I just really hated the pick and the trade up made it worse.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Nov 2022 17:39
I hated the Amari pick. I think I had him as a late round guy. I just wasn’t impressed by him and for as small as he was I thought he looked slow and I thought his route running and hands were poor for a slot guy.

Afterwards I tried to talk myself into the pick and be positive about it but I just really hated the pick and the trade up made it worse.
I usually can at least tell what GMs are trying to do with picks, but Amari always made me go :dunno: :idn: . I didn't like his tape, but thought it might work if got a bit quicker with NFL training. Instead he got bulkier and slower, which made him unusable as a WR and too sluggish to make guys miss as PR. Too small to block, not tough enough to be a RB/WR.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

He should have been cut last year.

The notion that draft slot guarantees a roster spot is utter foolishness.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Draft slot doesn't. Potential does. The higher the draft slot the higher the potential the team sees in a player.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

He was suppose to be a replacement for Cobb, it was telling that Rodgers wanted Cobb brought back, after getting a look at what Amari brought to the position, AR went to Brian and said you really blew it, bring back the Cobb :lol:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

What is the main differences between Amari at Clemson and Amari in Green Bay?

The QB throwing the pass. Some make a WR look good. Others bitch because the WR ran the route as it was designed.

And who the hell told Amari to get fat? This year he lost some of the weight but he never regained his quickness

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
17 Nov 2022 11:18

The QB throwing the pass. Some make a WR look good. Others bitch because the WR ran the route as it was designed.

And who the hell told Amari to get fat? This year he lost some of the weight but he never regained his quickness
so now you relegate Rodgers to less then a college QB, do you even realize how idiotic that is, Rodgers even praised Amari this year for shedding and slimming and gaining quickness, but he cant run the routes for him, and obviously Amari hasn't impressed the coaches enough to play him over the other receivers.

Cobb went out on a limb endorsing Amari, everyone had high hopes for Amari, no one deserves blame for Amari's failures, specially Aaron Rodgers.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
17 Nov 2022 11:18

Hilarious post