Week 3 Post-Game: Packers 18 Saints 17

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
24 Sep 2023 18:33
Curious what the group here thought of the decision to go for 2 pt conversion down 17-9?

Gotta say, I was a bit taken aback by that call. The traditional call is to kick the XP. Worked out pretty good, though, gotta say!
There seems to be a “new wisdom” that when you score to be down by 8, then you go for 2. There are some articles out there about it, if you want to search it up.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Loved the aggressiveness of going for it and going for 2. I don't have an issue with any of it especially when trying to come back.

Defense wasn't bad today.

As for Love, he missed some and some were dropped. I'm not worried about his completion percentage at this point. I didn't think he had as bad a game as some think.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Cdragon wrote:
24 Sep 2023 20:18
Really disappointed with the grounds crew and equipment staff. We were slipping too much for a home game.

I thought Love was late on a lot of throws or hung them up. But he kept plugging away and launching the ball to guys who finally came through. Used his wheels just enough.

The D had pressure all day! Gary was a monster.

No reason to talk about Anders any more.

Great win we could have blown them out if the trickery was clean and Love hit Musgrave.

Team showed up and fought all the way!

Let's crush Detroit with Jones, Watson, and Bahk! :beer2:
Several of Love’s throws were low, enabling defenders to knock the ball away. He needs to improve at that.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

So, we “should be” complaining:

1. Our HC got outcoached. But the Saints went from running pretty well to passing, where they didn’t move the ball much.
2. Our kicker is so erratic. But the Saints kicker missed the would be game winner. (It wasn’t exactly a long kick either.)
3. Our injuries would cost us. The Saints still allowed us 18 4th quarter points.
4. Our youth would cost us. But our youth probably energized the entire team and wouldn’t give up.
5. Our HC keeps using the same old playbook. Yet he is starting games with risky plays and giving backups opportunities to produce.
6. Our DC has a stale scheme that doesn’t utilize our players well enough. Yet, they only yielded 10 offensive points today.
7. Our QB1 is in his first year of starting. Yet, he just led an epic comeback.
8. We only beat a middling Saints team. Yet, their D is recognized by many as one of the top five in the league.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I still haven’t heard anything on Dillon. Did he get hurt or yanked in the 4th? I hope he isn’t injured.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Sep 2023 20:51
Loved the aggressiveness of going for it and going for 2. I don't have an issue with any of it especially when trying to come back.

Defense wasn't bad today.

As for Love, he missed some and some were dropped. I'm not worried about his completion percentage at this point. I didn't think he had as bad a game as some think.
I thought his ball placement was pretty suspect through much of the game. As someone mentioned earlier, his ball placement allowed defenders to make plays.

Maybe I’m just spoiled after watching Rodgers so many years…? Maybe. But I know several passes would have likely been completed had they been thrown another foot outside/inside/higher/lower.

To be fair, that’s not entirely on Love. He and the receivers are still working through their timing and precision. That’s also what many, myself included, have preached patience with.

Now all those pre-snap offensive penalties otoh…

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
24 Sep 2023 21:36
Yeah but their starting quarterback wasn't injured in that game.

If the Packers got to play Jamies Winston in that game like we did today...oh wait.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Sep 2023 20:59
I still haven’t heard anything on Dillon. Did he get hurt or yanked in the 4th? I hope he isn’t injured.
He came back in at one point in the 4th.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
24 Sep 2023 20:59
I thought his ball placement was pretty suspect through much of the game. As someone mentioned earlier, his ball placement allowed defenders to make plays.

Maybe I’m just spoiled after watching Rodgers so many years…? Maybe. But I know several passes would have likely been completed had they been thrown another foot outside/inside/higher/lower.

To be fair, that’s not entirely on Love. He and the receivers are still working through their timing and precision. That’s also what many, myself included, have preached patience with.

Now all those pre-snap offensive penalties otoh…
Yeah, the mini-bye after the Thursday game will be a good opportunity to self-scout and add some emphasis for the things that have plagued us. Can't speed up the development of chemistry. But can clean up the pre-snap penalties. Hopefully the during-snap penalties, as well.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Imagine if he does improve his completion percentage?
RIP JustJeff

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

The future is exciting for Jordan Love. A lot of adversity through 3.5 quarters including very bad throws. But he was a cool cucumber back there and wow what resilience. Went back to Reed after the drop and he was rewarded. Got the yards on the ground when it mattered. Kept throwing to favorable matchups (Isaac Yiadom). This is only his 3rd real start!! Dude’s a gamer.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I don't re-watch games. But seriously considering it to really watch the defense. Doesn't appear to be as bad as I've been thinking.

Though we haven't played a great offense yet. If they can continue to keep teams out of the endzone, I'll be happy. Regardless of how it looks.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
24 Sep 2023 22:23
I don't re-watch games. But seriously considering it to really watch the defense. Doesn't appear to be as bad as I've been thinking.
I think it was deceiving in large part because it seemed every time the QB was pressured or we thought we might get a negative or neutral play, they threw to a checkdown and the guy gained 4-6 yards. That can be disheartening to watch and it can move the sticks, but it also wasn't moving the ball in chunks.

It also plays right into what we hate about this D--passive coverage--but it was mostly checkdowns leaking out late like TE and RBs it seemed, so not like an issue of soft coverage by the CBs.

Also, due to the short field and key conversions, they got a quick TD with very little offensive output.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Sep 2023 18:45
I honestly just can't believe we won this game. It was one of the most frustrating games I've watched.

Last week, I was literally having a blast and couldn't believe we blew it. It snuck up on me. This week, the joy snuck up on me.

Hopefully soon we get another one where I can enjoy it throughout and even more after we win, like week one.
Really great way to describe the last two weeks - totally agree

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
24 Sep 2023 22:40
That doesn’t look too serious, but in a short week it’s still a tough break.

And Hutchinson against Nijman? A tough match up for us

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Waking up, looking at our butcher's bill in injuries...

How the F are we 2-1???

If this is our quality of play in a season meant to be a growing up -season, I'll take it, It's an exciting adventure, every game is high drama, and can't wait what this bunch can do with some growing up.

There are teams losing in embarrassing fashions, like da Bears, who still suck, this year even more than expected. And our NFL's youngest roster with about 50% of tippy-top talent lost to injuries is somehow winning. That's bonkers.

Let's just say I'm not into firing everyone just yet.

More like if LaFleur keeps winning games with a new QB, most of Oline in M.A.S.H unit, top RB out, and this receiving crew made out of kids and no first rounders, crown the man!