Play the 2023 Packers Blame Game!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is (most) to blame?

Poll ended at 04 Nov 2023 09:01

Brian Gutekunst
37%
Matt LaFleur
48%
Joe Barry
No votes
Jordan Love
4%
Unavoidable major roster upheaval, the above are all fine -or- cannot be fairly evaluated right now
11%

Total votes: 27

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

dsr wrote:
30 Oct 2023 20:43
Who on this team is playing better than last year?
Wyatt, Quay, Slaton, Savage. That's probably it.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

paco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 21:50
dsr wrote:
30 Oct 2023 20:43
Who on this team is playing better than last year?
Wyatt, Quay, Slaton, Savage. That's probably it.
O-minded Head Coach and all the player improvement is on the other side of the ball, which is led by a mediocre (on his best day) coordinator. MLF is way worse than we realized. :shock:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:56
The roster is not good enough to win a super bowl.
The roster is plenty good enough to compete for a 7 seed.

The fact that the team is competing for a top 5 draft pick, is a lafleur thing.

Good coaching and good use of the players we do have, and good scheme and game management could absolutely navigate this team to a season we all find acceptable.

Lafleur has contributed none of that.
The current roster isn't good enough to come anywhere close to cliniching a wild card spot.
Labrev wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:01
If anything, I almost regret that Gute has added as much talent as he has, to a point where Barry's defective defensive gameplans look passable because there are lots of solid-to-good players and simply are no real "holes" on that side ala MD Jennings, Brad Jones, etc.
I'm sorry, but it's absolutely hilarious to believe Gutekunst has added too much talent when in fact he hasn't done enough to improve the roster.
Acrobat wrote:
30 Oct 2023 11:00
So we shouldn't have ever drafted Aaron Rodgers?
Rodgers was drafted in a completely different situation than Love though.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

They know rodgers was drafted in a different situation. They have either forgotten because it was so long ago, or they are being intentionally obtuse about the situation.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
31 Oct 2023 06:23
They know rodgers was drafted in a different situation. They have either forgotten because it was so long ago, or they are being intentionally obtuse about the situation.
It's the later, I've explained the difference in these situations countless times, and there all smarter then I'am, they've all got degree's and everything :rotf: there all a bunch of obtuse'ers :rotf:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I mean...no...the situations really weren't that different. Both teams coming off playoff seasons, aging QB that had hinted about retirement, good situation where they could allow the rookie QB to sit a couple years. The big difference is that the QB that was drafted in 2005 was the consensus #1 pick in the draft until he suddenly wasn't, and he fell to us. Jordan Love obviously wasn't ever the consensus #1 pick.

The pick in 2005 turned out to be brilliant and I think Gutey thought he could replicate that but unfortunately he ended up picking the wrong QB. He'll get another try in the 2024 draft.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
31 Oct 2023 07:55
I mean...no...the situations really weren't that different. Both teams coming off playoff seasons, aging QB that had hinted about retirement, good situation where they could allow the rookie QB to sit a couple years. The big difference is that the QB that was drafted in 2005 was the consensus #1 pick in the draft until he suddenly wasn't, and he fell to us. Jordan Love obviously wasn't ever the consensus #1 pick.

The pick in 2005 turned out to be brilliant and I think Gutey thought he could replicate that but unfortunately he ended up picking the wrong QB. He'll get another try in the 2024 draft.
ehh, I don't think it was the same.

Favre started talking retirement in Shermans 3rd season and every off season after that, once Rodgers started dropping Ted took notice, I agree it became a perfect situation to take him, no way anyone could trust Favre at that stage

Rodgers never even hinted at retirement when Guty reached up for Love, then we got that half baked story that he couldn't find a trade partner to take a receiver and that none where worth what he paid to get Love, never mind that several where and have proved it since.

Gute has no trouble finding trade partners for players he wants, and has done it I think every season, nah the price was to steep, he refused to pay it, instead traded up and reached for Rodgers replacement, all water over the bridge now, but imho these two situations where never the same, one simply happened, the other was a creation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
31 Oct 2023 08:25
Acrobat wrote:

ehh, I don't think it was the same.

Favre started talking retirement in Shermans 3rd season and every off season after that, once Rodgers started dropping Ted took notice, I agree it became a perfect situation to take him, no way anyone could trust Favre at that stage

Rodgers never even hinted at retirement when Guty reached up for Love, then we got that half baked story that he couldn't find a trade partner to take a receiver and that none where worth what he paid to get Love, never mind that several where and have proved it since.

Gute has no trouble finding trade partners for players he wants, and has done it I think every season, nah the price was to steep, he refused to pay it, instead traded up and reached for Rodgers replacement, all water over the bridge now, but imho these two situations where never the same, one simply happened, the other was a creation.
Favre retirement talk didn't really start amping up until about a year before they drafted Rodgers, and it wasn't even to the point where anyone really thought he would retire. While Rodgers may not have been as blatant as Favre with his comments, he had hinted here and there that he knew his time was coming closer. Either way, the situations were the same because they were both aging at the time their eventual replacements were drafted. Semantics aside, the situations are pretty much a carbon copy of each other.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Acrobat wrote:

Rodgers fell down the board into our laps

We moved UP to get Love, when everyone in the world thought we needed a WR or help for Rodgers.

Favre had already explicitly mentioned retirement. Rodgers said in 2019 he planned to play until he was 45.

Source: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaro ... -it-quits/
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
31 Oct 2023 08:40
Acrobat wrote:

We moved UP to get Love, when everyone in the world thought we needed a WR or help for Rodgers.

Favre had already explicitly mentioned retirement. Rodgers said in 2019 he planned to play until he was 45.

Yep, I already pointed out those differences. But on the surface, the situations were the same. Aging QB's, a situation where their replacement could sit and learn for a year or two (or what ended up being 3 for both), and a roster that could compete (at time of drafting).

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
31 Oct 2023 08:47
Drj820 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Yep, I already pointed out those differences. But on the surface, the situations were the same. Aging QB's, a situation where their replacement could sit and learn for a year or two (or what ended up being 3 for both), and a roster that could compete (at time of drafting).
I remember it differently, imo he started talking both trade and retirement when Sherman was on the hot seat, and every year that followed, have you forgotten his he haw stuff every off season with the media, and lack of commitment till after the new league year started, or the articles of how that affected Teds draft preps, how true that all is can be debated.

Rodgers never even hinted that he wanted to leave or retire, only that he wanted more FO accountability, and better team building, which he was right to ask for, Guty had no reason to trade up and reach for Love, the team needed a ready to play WR if not in the draft then UFA, and please CD (whoops, sorry Acrobat) don't try and sell me on the idea that Gute couldn't find a trade partner, gute has found a trade partner for every player he wanted since he's been here.
nothing about that draft for Love ever made any sense to me. :nono:
Last edited by Yoop on 31 Oct 2023 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
31 Oct 2023 09:11
Acrobat wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I remember it differently, imo he started talking both trade and retirement when Sherman was on the hot seat, and every year that followed, have you forgotten his he haw stuff every off season with the media, and lack of commitment till after the new league year started, or the articles of how that affected Teds draft preps, how true that all is can be debated.

Rodgers never even hinted that he wanted to leave or retire, only that he wanted more FO accountability, and better team building, which he was right to ask for, Guty had no reason to trade up and reach for Love, the team needed a ready to play WR if not in the draft then UFA, and please CD don't try and sell me on the idea that Gute couldn't find a trade partner, gute has found a trade partner for every player he wanted since he's been here.
My memory is just fine, and yes, I pointed out that Favre was more blatant in his comments, but the first season where he really appeared to be giving serious consideration to retirement was after the 2005 season, when Rodgers had already finished his first year as a Packer. The years before that were just little side comments like "I need to think about my future" but never anything serious to where anyone thought "oh we better find our replacement now", hence why a lot of people were really pissed that we didn't draft some help for Favre, specifically on defense because our 2004 defense was atrocious.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
31 Oct 2023 09:23
Yoop wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Rodgers never even hinted that he wanted to leave or retire, only that he wanted more FO accountability, and better team building, which he was right to ask for, Guty had no reason to trade up and reach for Love, the team needed a ready to play WR if not in the draft then UFA, and please CD don't try and sell me on the idea that Gute couldn't find a trade partner, gute has found a trade partner for every player he wanted since he's been here.
My memory is just fine, and yes, I pointed out that Favre was more blatant in his comments, but the first season where he really appeared to be giving serious consideration to retirement was after the 2005 season, when Rodgers had already finished his first year as a Packer. The years before that were just little side comments like "I need to think about my future" but never anything serious to where anyone thought "oh we better find our replacement now", hence why a lot of people were really pissed that we didn't draft some help for Favre, specifically on defense because our 2004 defense was atrocious.
your wrong, and you have that right, good day to you.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
31 Oct 2023 09:34
Acrobat wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Your wrong what? You didn't finish your sentence.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
31 Oct 2023 09:51
Yoop wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

busy, to many phone calls, had to end the conversation.

your attempting to frame this as though Farve and Rodgers both threatened to leave or retire one year prior to both GM's picking a replacement QB, I disagree with that, Rodgers wanted FO accountability in 2017-18,no trade, or retirement, in fact just the opposite, he wanted to retire a Packer, and Favre had talked of retirement in 2002 on, and while you with the benefit of hindsight feel he was just grand standing, he still said it, Thompson also heard it, and the last couple years drug it out till the combine, Rodgers did none of this prior to the Love draft.

not the same at all to me.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]Yoop[/mention] he didn't frame it that way at all...
the first season where he really appeared to be giving serious consideration to retirement was after the 2005 season, when Rodgers had already finished his first year as a Packer.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
31 Oct 2023 10:10
Acrobat wrote:
Yoop wrote:

your attempting to frame this as though Farve and Rodgers both threatened to leave or retire one year prior to both GM's picking a replacement QB, I disagree with that, Rodgers wanted FO accountability in 2017-18,no trade, or retirement, in fact just the opposite, he wanted to retire a Packer, and Favre had talked of retirement in 2002 on, and while you with the benefit of hindsight feel he was just grand standing, he still said it, Thompson also heard it, and the last couple years drug it out till the combine, Rodgers did none of this prior to the Love draft.

Huh? Before you attempt to argue with a position that I did not take, please actually read my posts.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
31 Oct 2023 10:14
Yoop wrote:
31 Oct 2023 10:10
Acrobat wrote:

Huh? Before you attempt to argue with a position that I did not take, please actually read my posts.
sorry to mis read you, but your original point that these circumstances where the same is probably what I focused on, they where not, and that was what I tried to point out.

we all haver a right to our opinions though, right or wrong.
Last edited by Yoop on 31 Oct 2023 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I blame MLF.

I can't blame Gute, he drafted Gary, for example. This team is full of very talented individuals, they just don't play like a team - and that is on the coaches.

I can't blame Love. I and some others were staying that Love should have been playing LAST season when playoffs were out of reach and AR was hurt. He simply needs more games under his belt and some of those games should have come last season. And that is on MLF.

I can't blame Barry either. The D has outperformed the O this season, by a wide margin. And if Barry were not doing his job, MLF should fire him, which MLF has not done.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

CWIMM wrote:
31 Oct 2023 05:59
I'm sorry, but it's absolutely hilarious to believe Gutekunst has added talent when in fact he hasn't done enough to improve the roster.
I lifted the BLOCK that I have put on your posts to see if you actually contributed anything to the topic at hand, i.e. which one of the options and your reasons why, genuinely curious if you had a thought-provoking or at least unique take on it.

But nope, no such thing. How disappointing. Back to the Ignore List with ye!
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto