Jeff Hafley Packers new DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who?

Who?
30%
Fire Gute
No votes
Fire Murphy
No votes
Fire LaCoach
4%
Fire Hafley
No votes
Super Bowl
65%

Total votes: 23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Jan 2024 17:59
Gonna watch this and form some conclusions

Literally his first words in the interview at 3:15 was 'Yeah, No', if that isn't LaFleur :lol: Close my eyes, bit raspier, deeper, but can hardly tell them apart.

** Additional as I'm watching **

He seems really excited to be out of college at get back to the NFL and just get back to coaching football, done with the college stuff (recruiting, staff, budgeting) and especially how the game has changing, transfer protocol and NIL, specifically.

** more **

all pretty good, literally a LaFleur clone, for better or for worse (sorry Ringo), 39:00 in gets good on his D philosophy.

he really hates new NIL rules vs 2020, lol

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I don't get all the love for the Ravens coaches. They were mostly a zone defense team which everyone here bitched about for the last 3 years. Hafley seems to have experience with a few different styles and from that YouTube video he seems to be saying that you can't be too predictable or have one philosophy because offenses are changing too fast.

Kind of like what I heard from him. Going to be interesting to see how he is in game situations.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I watched the hour long interview and had no idea how f’d up college football has become. So I don’t blame him for wanting to get back to the pros.

Also, I expected MLF to hire one of his friends. Not necessarily a bad thing if he has talent and can produce a top ranked defense.

However, I am disappointed. I was hoping for a Leslie Frazier type hire. Someone who has lead top ranked defenses multiple years.

The offense is ready to roll. The Packers are going to be competing for SBs right now. We don’t need to find out a few years from now that this guy can’t get it done and we lose to the Niners again. I want the Packers to own the Niners over the next 10 years.

That being said, I did like his interview. I’m hoping for the best. Go Pack!
Love is the answer…

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
31 Jan 2024 19:18
Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Jan 2024 19:14
Darnell Savage ironically might actually be the best available safety available to do this next year?
I think so too. Still need to throw some resources at it though.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

What defense does Jeff Hafley run?
The Packers will have a single-high centric defense — goodbye, two-high/quarters-heavy defense. And Hafley is also much more aggressive to send blitzes and to apply man coverage. "Nobody loves single-high and middle-of-the-field closed coverages more than Haf," said Mitchell Wolfe, a staff writer for BC Eagle Insider.1 hour ago

sounds like what we all want, gonna need to find a safety, possibly a improvement for Campbell, this guy sounds a lot more aggressive, press man, should be interesting change of pace.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
31 Jan 2024 20:15
What defense does Jeff Hafley run?
The Packers will have a single-high centric defense — goodbye, two-high/quarters-heavy defense. And Hafley is also much more aggressive to send blitzes and to apply man coverage. "Nobody loves single-high and middle-of-the-field closed coverages more than Haf," said Mitchell Wolfe, a staff writer for BC Eagle Insider.1 hour ago

sounds like what we all want, gonna need to find a safety, possibly a improvement for Campbell, this guy sounds a lot more aggressive, press man, should be interesting change of pace.
It does sound like what a lot of us fans want.

Not necessarily just blitzing more, but just play up, punching them in the mouth, disrupting routes. Hopefully never see a CB 12 yards off on a 3rd and 4 again.

Schemed be damned, don't give up downs, more set the tone vs be reactive. And by far the most important part, whatever you do, just deliver results. Just do what Barry did the last 4 weeks, every week, and we are all on board. Whether its man 20% or 40% of the time or 4 hands in dirt or 3 in dirt, nickel, dime or base. Just play successful defense.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I'm not sure how to read this hire, with respect to the youth movement on the Packers. I believed the "story" that we might hire Christian Parker. But his age, if he got the job, would've pointed me to thinking that this was also a part of the youth movement and that we'd plan to build for at least another year before having thoughts of the Super Bowl.

But this guy has been around for a while without being a retread old DC. So, I'm thinking he's about getting our D Super Bowl ready, if only we can find a Safety or two.

Yeah baby!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
31 Jan 2024 18:45
I suggested that we would be in the dark until a name was named. A couple said I was wrong.

Anyhow, classic MLF/Packers hire. I'm sure we won't know enough to scratch our itch til around September.

I'm in until otherwise. In MLF I trust.
:-)
No I remember you said we won't know until he is announced at press conference time.

I wouldn't call this that scenario. It was a surprising name but we found out through media before the Packers announced anything.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I immediately said the Barry hire was a disaster.

This time i say: we’ll see??

But also wtf??

There was a great list of NFLers I liked.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
31 Jan 2024 21:23
I immediately said the Barry hire was a disaster.

This time i say: we’ll see??

But also wtf??

There was a great list of NFLers I liked
That’s the thing for me, too. There were some quality coaches available that checked every mark: young, successful, experienced, ascending. The fact MLF passed on all the seemingly well-qualified options for a guy nobody was talking about is gonna be something to watch. If Wilson, Parker, Orr, or any of the others are named as a DC somewhere, I’ll be watching and comparing.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
31 Jan 2024 19:52
YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Jan 2024 17:59
Gonna watch this and form some conclusions

Literally his first words in the interview at 3:15 was 'Yeah, No', if that isn't LaFleur :lol: Close my eyes, bit raspier, deeper, but can hardly tell them apart.

** Additional as I'm watching **

He seems really excited to be out of college at get back to the NFL and just get back to coaching football, done with the college stuff (recruiting, staff, budgeting) and especially how the game has changing, transfer protocol and NIL, specifically.

** more **

all pretty good, literally a LaFleur clone, for better or for worse (sorry Ringo), 39:00 in gets good on his D philosophy.

he really hates new NIL rules vs 2020, lol
I'll stay cautiously optimistic until the Packers defensive play of the field proves otherwise. Regardless, this beats complaining about Joe Barry almost every day (something to look forward to). The LaFleur clone (or possible LaFleur clone) part is troubling. I hope Hafley will stand up the LaFleur and put him in his place when necessary.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I will say he seems like a pretty good coach. Just a lot of his resume I kinda discount. Like i don’t care what his defense did at BC when half the schedule is against wake forest and Syracuse.

I don’t care about what happened at Ohio state when half the games are against Iowa and northwestern and you have the best players.

Most NFL experience seems kinda mid in the performance category…but…wel see

I know this is gonna trigger some people..but I was kinda hoping for a young fiery African American coach. Not any kind of DEI thing…a deserving coach. Why? Because most of the players are black and I thought he could forge a connection with them that could set a culture.

Also if he leaves for a HC job we would get picks as a reward.

I know that will bother some, but another mid resume middle age white guy. Feels like Barry 2.0 ha

Oh well, best of luck to him. He does seem cool. Seems kinda like Lafleur really.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Didn't someone post the stats the other day showing that even teams that are heavy in man schemes still play more than 50% of the snaps in zone? I don't think we're suddenly man.

But I don't think man versus zone is the thing that really bothered us so much as playing close to the line versus playing off coverage.

Obviously, in zone, being able to face the QB and let things develop in front of you matters, but there are also zone schemes that allow CBs to play close to the line and man the flats and shallow areas while still disrupting routes and timing at the line of scrimmage.

And that FOR SURE sounds like Hafley is going to address--players pressing opposing receivers and contesting the ball in the air instead of keeping it in front of them was my ONLY criteria going into this search; I stated that directly.

This guy sounds like he will check that box, if nothing else.

Now, I hope he's good at a lot of other things. But at the very least, Jaire and Valentine and Stokes can do more of the thing they're best suited for and disrupt some receivers and passes.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Jan 2024 21:45
Didn't someone post the stats the other day showing that even teams that are heavy in man schemes still play more than 50% of the snaps in zone? I don't think we're suddenly man.

But I don't think man versus zone is the thing that really bothered us so much as playing close to the line versus playing off coverage.

Obviously, in zone, being able to face the QB and let things develop in front of you matters, but there are also zone schemes that allow CBs to play close to the line and man the flats and shallow areas while still disrupting routes and timing at the line of scrimmage.

And that FOR SURE sounds like Hafley is going to address--players pressing opposing receivers and contesting the ball in the air instead of keeping it in front of them was my ONLY criteria going into this search; I stated that directly.

This guy sounds like he will check that box, if nothing else.

Now, I hope he's good at a lot of other things. But at the very least, Jaire and Valentine and Stokes can do more of the thing they're best suited for and disrupt some receivers and passes.
No team in the last 2 seasons at least, has played more man than zone.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Jordan Fuller played for this guy at Ohio St, was mentioned in the interview, has played for the Rams and been a team captain and starter, and is a free agent.

Seems like a nice lower-cost, experienced safety option who will have a schematic head start.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Bart Winkler (whoever that is) wins the week

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

ok I like this one. "Chaos at the line of scrimmage"

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I did not have a favorite pick. What I wanted was for the Packers new DC to be aggressive and different.

3-4-4 is the norm. I am expecting 4-2-5 from Hafley. So that is different. Force other teams to adapt to the Packers rather than adapt to them.

4 down linemen: Gary, Clark, Wyatt. Van Ness. Backups/Rotational Smith and Brooks. Slayton is the big loser, he will only play on 3rd and short, or 4th and short or goal line situations.

Walker and McDuffie at ILB. Backup Cox.

Outside CB's Alexander and Valentine. Nixon is going to start in either the slot or at safety. I think now the Packers will definitely use their 1st round pick at safety. Or else trade down and still take a safety. One of their 2nd rounders is on a CB. Hopefully Stokes is healthy next season but that is more hope than expectation. Savage will stay but as a backup.

I think the Packers roster fits a 4 down lineman scheme better than 3 down linemen.

An aggressive scheme fits Alexander very well. Valentine will also be fine, but the Packers need to upgrade the other CB and Safety positions. Which means the only position on the O that is likely to be in the draft priority is swing OT.

Aggressive DB's plus a very good to excellent pass rush = turnovers. It has been a long time since we've seen a lot of interceptions.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

What we are not, at all, is a low risk low reward organization.

I have no idea about this guy.

All I know we were crazy hiring LaFleur. We were crazy picking Love.

Knockin on wood Hafley same kinda crazy as those two. Because then we'd have an unlikely dynasty in our near future.