Packers are signing RB Josh Jacobs!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Foosball wrote:
11 Mar 2024 18:32
YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Mar 2024 17:54
Drj820 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 17:45

The improvement is in the availability
Both backs have played in 73 games the past 6 seasons. Good try, though. Keep guessing
Except Jacobs has only played 5 seasons.
well they have each played in 73 games the past 5 seasons. Sorry for the error.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Mar 2024 18:18
Oh yeah this is 100% an F grade. Why are we paying RBs? And this much? Not only that but Jacobs has been a workhorse with the Raiders and is coming off a down year. This is straight up dumb.
Just for discussion, not arguing really. It sounds like the Packers were going to have to pay A. Jones something close to meet his demands. It sounded like in an earlier post you had that you were not really on board with paying Jones either.

The Jacobs deal is really just one year so its not a huge deal long term that crushes you later on.

I think obviously the Packers will bring in other young RB talent, but did you have any specific ideas about how to approach next year at the position? Yes Jacobs had a down year, and I can only assume the FO believes he is closer to 2022 JJ than 2023. I think the Packers expect to be competing for the NFC title next year and didn't really want that position to be up in the air and relying totally on youth. As someone said, I think the Packers believe he can be good or at minimum be a reliable vet to bridge to a younger guy. I dont absolutely love it, but I don't hate it either.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gute has shown he’s happy to designate a certain percentage of the cap to an elite RB. He’l even draft them in the 2nd round!

The question then is whether jacobs is an elite RB or not…the money and paying a RB and all that in really a discussion on philosophy…a philosophy where Gute has clearly shown his position on the issue, time and time again.

It then becomes whether you think jacobs is a good back or not. Personally, I think the raiders OL was trash and Jacobs is a VERY GOOD rb who can play all game. So I like the move.

Seeing Gute was probably always going to be paying about 10m per for a back, the discussion then goes to whether you’d rather just have Jones, or rather have another back besides Jacobs.

I am good either way, although I think we did Jones dirty because of the paycut he took.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Remember there was some talk early last year about the Packers trading for Jonathan Taylor? So signing a younger stud RB has been on Gutey’s mind for a while. He finally made his wish come true.

Also, not to be too negative because I love who he is on and off the field, but Jones had a propensity to fumble at the worst times.
Love is the answer…

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Gotta say I’m on the side of just stick with Jones. Maybe wait a couple days and see how the RB market settles. More than I would have wanted to pay.

However I think Jacobs is being underrated here, he’s very good and done very well in many advanced metrics. Last year that team was such a dumpster fire, hard to gauge a ton.

Likely to be more available this year and years after. Really takes RB somewhat off the draft need list, banking on Jacobs being here a while, vs Jones being year to year. Still need some depth and possible cheap replacement, but don’t ’have to’ take an RB higher now.

Just trying to logic it all through. If we are still getting 2022 Jacobs, I gotta think this is a straight upgrade today at RB. Contract given tells me that is the FO expectations. Bigger back like this can do more to keep an LB on the field over a DB in situations, helps the passing game. He’s a great pass blocker and pass catcher.

Guess I wouldn’t have made the switch, but I kind of get it I guess? I’d like this more if we were keeping Jones too. Be such a dynamic 1-2 punch, 25 touches a game between the two, both stay fresh and hungry and help the passing game a lot.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 19:45
Gotta say I’m on the side of just stick with Jones. Maybe wait a couple days and see how the RB market settles. More than I would have wanted to pay.

However I think Jacobs is being underrated here, he’s very good and done very well in many advanced metrics. Last year that team was such a dumpster fire, hard to gauge a ton.

Likely to be more available this year and years after. Really takes RB somewhat off the draft need list, banking on Jacobs being here a while, vs Jones being year to year. Still need some depth and possible cheap replacement, but don’t ’have to’ take an RB higher now.

Just trying to logic it all through. If we are still getting 2022 Jacobs, I gotta think this is a straight upgrade today at RB. Contract given tells me that is the FO expectations. Bigger back like this can do more to keep an LB on the field over a DB in situations, helps the passing game. He’s a great pass blocker and pass catcher.

Guess I wouldn’t have made the switch, but I kind of get it I guess? I’d like this more if we were keeping Jones too. Be such a dynamic 1-2 punch, 25 touches a game between the two, both stay fresh and hungry and help the passing game a lot.
Jones and Jacobs on the team wouldn't make sense.

You can't have 5 WRs who need the ball, a QB, and two 10+ Million RBs on an offense. That's just too much eating to go around.

it had to be one or the other. I personally like the slasher type RB of Jones over the bigger backs. Clearly Gute disagrees with me.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
11 Mar 2024 20:48
You can't have 5 WRs who need the ball, a QB, and two 10+ Million RBs on an offense. That's just too much eating to go around.
Disagree completely, keep adding more and more talent and make everyone earn every touch they get.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 20:53
go pak go wrote:
Disagree completely, keep adding more and more talent and make everyone earn every touch they get.
exactly right, both Jones and Jacobs have to be considered high mileage RB's now, so cutting the work load between them makes sense, I'd still go after a walk on ready RB in the draft, let Lafleur figure out the touches.

I think it's premature to cut Jones, specially if he's cheaper, have trouble believing Jacobs is a long term solution.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 20:53
go pak go wrote:
Put me in the camp of liking to pay a safety rather than 2 RBs. Allocating over $20 to RB just doesn't make any sense to me.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Bleachereport saying Packers wanted 50% pay cut with Jones which I honestly think is fair but no way any player is taking that.

Oh and. Vikings are interested lol.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 18:33
texas wrote:
11 Mar 2024 18:29
Drj820 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 17:45

The improvement is in the availability
No, I would much rather have a guy who is unavailable throughout the year and then a stud in the playoffs, than a guy who is available the entire season and is pedestrian. Is there even a question?

Besides, clearly Jones' availability was not even an issue because we made the playoffs, at which point he was... available. Available to kick ass in fact, which he did.
Until he got to the red zone against the niners, then he wasn’t on the field.

Don’t get me wrong tho, I don’t want to carve out and be on the the anti Jones side of the argument. I like Jones.

But ya I like jacobs too. Raiders OL has been awful. He’s a dog.
yeah idk, I feel like most RBs who break a 50-yard run will need a breather afterwards

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

texas wrote:
11 Mar 2024 21:28
Drj820 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 18:33
texas wrote:
11 Mar 2024 18:29

No, I would much rather have a guy who is unavailable throughout the year and then a stud in the playoffs, than a guy who is available the entire season and is pedestrian. Is there even a question?

Besides, clearly Jones' availability was not even an issue because we made the playoffs, at which point he was... available. Available to kick ass in fact, which he did.
Until he got to the red zone against the niners, then he wasn’t on the field.

Don’t get me wrong tho, I don’t want to carve out and be on the the anti Jones side of the argument. I like Jones.

But ya I like jacobs too. Raiders OL has been awful. He’s a dog.
yeah idk, I feel like most RBs who break a 50-yard run will need a breather afterwards
For the rest of the drive?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Now Il defend Jones: asking the vocal leader of the team to take 50% paycut is basically telling him he’s cut.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The contract details:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So pretty much 2 years $23 million from the looks of it. Maybe 3 years 34.5M.

With a coupla team options years at $11.5 then $13.5 million.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Looks likely to be two-years, $23 million spread over three seasons as 5-11-6 cap hits.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’d say not even a lock to be here for two years.

If it’s just a total disaster, easy to dump after 1 year. $2m cap savings and can save on that roster bonus.

That bonus next year also most likely will be converted into a signing bonus next offseason which could free up $~4m on the ‘25 cap. Should we choose to go that route.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

This makes me hate the Jones-Jacobs swap out.

If it’s only being viewed as a 2 year deal, Jones has (at least) 2 years left in him. Just ride Jones out.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

I think everyone is sad to see Jones go. I think it would have been great to have both. I do love getting the safety. JJ and AJ could have been a bit like the Detroit backfield of Montgomery and Gibbs. I think it would have made total sense. However, neither guy is on a rookie contract or cheap, so it wasn't really financially reasonable.