Eagles @ Packers GDT - 3:25 - CBS

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I'm only pointing these things out because, at times, it feels like I would gladly trade our problems for their problems. It's short-sighted and maybe YoHo is taking the broad viewpoint here, but for goodness sake, how about we just starting getting to the QB more regularly and forcing some turnovers at a level more indicative of our talent and then we can forget this silly debate because we actually will be playing winning defense.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't look at any team in the NFC and say, "that team is better than we are".

The teams that scare me the most in terms of having enough fire power on offense and a great defense that could slow our offense to less than 24 points include:

1. New Orleans
2. Tampa
3. LA Rams

This assessment is primarily due to seeing what elite ILBs can do vs us or a good push up the middle can do to us. All of these defenses have one or both of these items, but I am also very confident based on what we did vs Indy that we put up 31+ vs any of them. I am not including our win over New Orleans because it was a long time ago, but I feel we are better full strength vs them.

Seattle and Arizona are teams that could pose issues in January simply due to their elite WRs and their mobile QBs. They are hard to bring down and they can score at any point.

I think we are better or right in line with all of these teams. I don't think we are significantly better than all of these teams because I am not confident our defense can hold anyone under 24 - 27 points which means we will always have a ball game on our hands.

If that makes sense.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
04 Dec 2020 10:49
I'm only pointing these things out because, at times, it feels like I would gladly trade our problems for their problems. It's short-sighted and maybe YoHo is taking the broad viewpoint here, but for goodness sake, how about we just starting getting to the QB more regularly and forcing some turnovers at a level more indicative of our talent and then we can forget this silly debate because we actually will be playing winning defense.
That's the frustrating thing.

We should in all rights be the top NFC team this year and it shouldn't be close. We should feel confident to have a good game vs Pittsburgh or KC. I don't know if I can necessarily say that.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
04 Dec 2020 11:11
We should in all rights be the top NFC team this year and it shouldn't be close. We should feel confident to have a good game vs Pittsburgh or KC. I don't know if I can necessarily say that.
I definitely feel confident we can have a good game against Pittsburgh. They don't look good doing it, they just win. Sort of like us last year, honestly. Would GB beat Pitt? Who knows. But it wouldn't likely be a blowout. The Browns, Bengals, and Jaguars are the only teams the Steelers beat by double digits this year.

I'm just halfway through year two of "this team isn't as good as it is" and I'm tired of it.

This team is good, for the second year in a row. They went to the NFC Championship game last year and have improved in several ways. They are enduring key injuries and still playing winning football. The advanced metrics, the standard W/L records, the traditional statistical measures--all show us as being a team in the top quarter of the league.

These are the good years. This is when it's fun to be a fan.

And every time I come to talk about Packers football there's a chorus of people insisting that we're not really as good as the numbers say. For a year and a half.

Yes we are. Enjoy it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
04 Dec 2020 10:36

And yet, by volume statistics, their defense has 31 sacks compared to our 24 and their defense has forced 16 turnovers compared to our 12. That's where this perception you keep pushing back against blends with reality. Like, if we start making some of these plays like we have in very short bursts this year, then you're right, we are a much, much better defense. But, as of current, we haven't with any regularity. The worst thing about it, from the eye test (I don't think the numbers show this, but it sure seems that way) is that we have put offenses behind in down and distance with some regularity but have consistently failed to take advantage of it.
This is our biggest issue and we can particularly trace it to the Colts game but even the Bucs game too.

But man the Colts game. How many times did we have the Colts offense in 3rd and 8 or longer but the Colts still scored on their drive. The other play was the Billy Winn tipped pass that Savage just needed to come down with.

We do those, the Packers win the game easy and we start saying how great of a defense we are building.

So it's frustrating. But it is also hopeful because we are very close to becoming a top third D if we just don't play so stupid.

But yet that is the frustrating thing. When oh when will we not have our DBs play 2 yards behind the sticks on 3rd and long? It's an easy fix but it also happened in week 12 which should have been fixed a long, long time ago.
Yoop wrote:

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

go pak go wrote:
04 Dec 2020 11:11
This! With the offense we have and with Godgers any decent defense would make us a true powerhouse and would give us at least a 50/50 against KC. Instead we have the same thing like with Capers since 2012: a defense that is good enough not to downright fire the DC, but bad enough to hold like water against top-tier QB's...and since in the Playoffs we will meet those kind of QB's and since in the Playoffs offenses usually don't score as they do in regular season it just doesn't sound promising.

But this is the future and a lot can happen (in our SB season 2010 it didn't look good around this time). The Eagles are not a good team, average at best. So from a talentlevel-perspective we should be able to beat them and we better do because the NFC is a tight race.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

German_Panzer wrote:
04 Dec 2020 12:48
Instead we have the same thing like with Capers since 2012: a defense that is good enough not to downright fire the DC, but bad enough to hold like water against top-tier QB's...and since in the Playoffs we will meet those kind of QB's and since in the Playoffs offenses usually don't score as they do in regular season it just doesn't sound promising.
Who's a top tier QB?

Because we beat Russell Wilson in the playoffs last year and this year we handled Brees and Watson. We lost to Brady and Rivers, but even if you blame the 2nd-half defense against the Colts, we had FOUR turnovers on offense and missed a game-winning TD throw from the red zone.

You guys are literally making up narratives.
image.png
image.png (18.09 KiB) Viewed 527 times

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Dec 2020 13:25
German_Panzer wrote:
04 Dec 2020 12:48
Instead we have the same thing like with Capers since 2012: a defense that is good enough not to downright fire the DC, but bad enough to hold like water against top-tier QB's...and since in the Playoffs we will meet those kind of QB's and since in the Playoffs offenses usually don't score as they do in regular season it just doesn't sound promising.
Who's a top tier QB?

Because we beat Russell Wilson in the playoffs last year and this year we handled Brees and Watson. We lost to Brady and Rivers, but even if you blame the 2nd-half defense against the Colts, we had FOUR turnovers on offense and missed a game-winning TD throw from the red zone.

You guys are literally making up narratives.

image.png
Yeah I agree. I don't think our defense can be blamed against "top tier QBs" in the MLF era.

The only loss to a top rated QB (at the time) where I would say our defense owns the blame was to the Eagles in 2019.

But as you stated, the rest we either beat or turnovers beat us. The 49ers also doesn't count as their run attack beat us and the Chargers don't count as our offense was GARBAGE that game.

The only real problem I have for our defense this year is:

a) - obviously our run defense still gives up too much and doesn't tackle well
b) - not stepping up on 3rd down and either forcing a figgy or punt. Especially when it is 3rd and long
c) - our top pass rushers not getting consistent pressure or even sacks here and there to put the offense in a negative play situation
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Packers vs. Eagles Injury Report.

Zach Ertz and Fletcher Cox are a go.
image.png
image.png (59.87 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Yoop wrote:

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

I wonder at this point if there just playing a roster shuffling game with Dillon. Hard to believe that he'd still not be able to at least practice.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lulu wrote:
04 Dec 2020 17:17
I wonder at this point if there just playing a roster shuffling game with Dillon. Hard to believe that he'd still not be able to at least practice.
No. I'm pretty sure he has Covid.

He was spotted to be at Practice at least this week watching which is the first time he has done that.

Honestly I'm a little concerned. I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't removed from the Covid list next week but I do wonder how he will be post covid. This virus really hurts some poeple hard.

I now know two people who are in induced comas on ventilators. :?
Yoop wrote:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Regarding Dillon:
Anyone else on the forum actually have Covid? I had a positive test on 11/7; luckily, it was fairly mild*. The complete loss of taste/smell really messed with my appetite and I lost weight quickly. I still have a lingering cough and my sense of taste is only 50% or so. Either of those could be tough for an athlete. If Dillon got a bad case of Covid, he could still have shortness of breath, weakness, cough, etc.

*I had the exact same symptoms in Feb. but worse. 103.4F fever, chills, loss of taste, terrible muscle aches, and weakness. Of course, no tests were available at the time and Covid wasn't officially here in WI yet.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
04 Dec 2020 22:31
Regarding Dillon:
Anyone else on the forum actually have Covid? I had a positive test on 11/7; luckily, it was fairly mild*. The complete loss of taste/smell really messed with my appetite and I lost weight quickly. I still have a lingering cough and my sense of taste is only 50% or so. Either of those could be tough for an athlete. If Dillon got a bad case of Covid, he could still have shortness of breath, weakness, cough, etc.

*I had the exact same symptoms in Feb. but worse. 103.4F fever, chills, loss of taste, terrible muscle aches, and weakness. Of course, no tests were available at the time and Covid wasn't officially here in WI yet.
Saw that a symptom down the line months after having it is teeth falling out. So keep an eye on that.

Haven't haad it too my knowledge. Good luck

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Cdragon wrote:
04 Dec 2020 23:16
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Regarding Dillon:

Saw that a symptom down the line months after having it is teeth falling out. So keep an eye on that.

Teeth falling out? Hadn’t heard that.

Is that one of those things where it only happens in COVID patients with certain pre-existing conditions...like being a meth-head?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
05 Dec 2020 07:00
Cdragon wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Regarding Dillon:

Is that one of those things where it only happens in COVID patients with certain pre-existing conditions...like being a meth-head?
My mom is a RN and she deals with Covid symptom complaints and documentation constantly. It's been her life the last 10 months.

She says the wide range of symptoms being reported by patience has no pattern, varies greatly from patient to patient and includes extreme things like loss of feeling limbs, loss of taste etc.

She hasn't told me yet about teeth falling out. My wife is a dentist so I will be curious if she finds that down the road. Though she is a pediatric dentist so likely not.
Yoop wrote:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

go pak go wrote:
05 Dec 2020 09:24
APB wrote:
Cdragon wrote:

My mom is a RN and she deals with Covid symptom complaints and documentation constantly. It's been her life the last 10 months.

She says the wide range of symptoms being reported by patience has no pattern, varies greatly from patient to patient and includes extreme things like loss of feeling limbs, loss of taste etc.

She hasn't told me yet about teeth falling out. My wife is a dentist so I will be curious if she finds that down the road. Though she is a pediatric dentist so likely not.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/26/heal ... g-out.html

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Can't tell if Anthony has all his teeth, but I'm hopeful

Listed at 361 lbs, Mr. Rush has been given Ryan Pickett's old number # 79. It would be stupendous if he could be a chip off the old block in terms of run stuffage.

IT. IS. TIME

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
Cdragon wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Regarding Dillon:

I'm on day 18 after the first symptoms appeared and day 13 after testing positive. I had no lung problems. But the loss of balance hit me pretty hard for about 6 days, lack of appetite, hyper-sensitive smell. Yesterday I ate my first full meal in two weeks. I still get tired fairly easily, and about once a day I get the chills where I get so cold I just can't get warm for about an hour. Every muscle in my body hurt, every joint that has arthritis was burning, every injury I ever had was re-visited with pain for 6 days. All at the same time. So if someone had it, it really depends on the severity of their own conditions. I can easily see a two-week recovery for a pro athlete.

And Yes, I still have my teeth. :)

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BSA wrote:
05 Dec 2020 18:47
Can't tell if Anthony has all his teeth, but I'm hopeful

Listed at 361 lbs, Mr. Rush has been given Ryan Pickett's old number # 79. It would be stupendous if he could be a chip off the old block in terms of run stuffage.

Or Dave Hanner's chip off the old block as well. Pickett had to be the best Packer ever to wear #79. Not sure about the rest of the guys on the list.

https://lombardiave.com/2016/06/23/gree ... 79-best/2/

Looking forward to seeing what Anthony Rush can do. Maybe help the ILBs be more effective :swear:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

What I really want to see today is solid play and winning up front.

Our Oline without Linsley will be a challenge vs their defense. We were noticeably worse when Linsley went out last week. Can we run the ball when we want to vs a great Philly front? Can our Oline protect Rodgers vs a team that gets a lot of sacks and is at full strength?

As for our defense, the Eagles are good at running the ball and Sanders is a great back. Their Oline is hurting and we must impose our will. We can't let easy passes go for Wentz. We need to make it hard for him and make him think twice. That means we need to stay disciplined on stopping the run and create pressure on Wentz.

I feel the biggest wildcards of our defense making that next jump will come from the play of Gary and Savage. We need that December jump in play and confidence from those two. I think today Gary has the bigger shot of making that impact which is why I picked him for Here's Johnny.

Really hoping we see good things today from the front lines.
Yoop wrote: