Rank the Roster 2021: #15

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 31 May 2021 12:56

Kevin King
4%
Jace Sternberger
No votes
Alan Lazard
4%
Dean Lowry
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
No votes
AJ Dillon
31%
Devin Funchess
No votes
Krys Barnes
12%
Eric Stokes
No votes
Josh Myers
No votes
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
38%
Kamal Martin
No votes
Lucas Patrick
No votes
Jon Runyan
No votes
Amari Rodgers
No votes
Jordan Love
12%

Total votes: 26

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
31 May 2021 19:56
Guess I just did not remember ever hearing a DC say how he changed his gameplan for MVS. Regardless, I love MVS, but just feel this is insanely high for a one trick pony.
A little projection here, but if you watched the NFCCG closely, he wasn't just a one trick pony. It was the best game of his career, by far, but he was one of the best players on the field in that game. If he can approach that level consistently, he is well justified of this spot and probably is regardless... even if we're back to that one trick.

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
31 May 2021 21:50
Packfntk wrote:
31 May 2021 18:05
Labrev wrote:
31 May 2021 17:45

This overlooks how his speed opens things up for other players to make plays, (so in a sense, he has a hand in more receptions/scores than the ones on his stat sheet); I think that was the point his voters were trying to make.
Wow, so any burner in the NFL should be ranked really high. Speed is everything. Not a fan of this argument at all.
Silly town, of course any burner isn’t a deep threat, that’s obvious, no one is saying anything so ridiculous. Like any good WR, routes are set up throughout a game and throughout weeks. MVS has this mastered. He is one of a handful who can consistently win deep. 100% changes how a defense plays you.

His ilk are very few who can do that. Not 32 in the league.
Mastered huh? I guess that is one way to say it. :lol:

We are moving along, I just had 5-6 guys above MVS, but that is the fun of all of this, the different viewpoints.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Interesting alignment numbers:

As a percentage, all our receivers lined up in the slot a bunch last year:

Davante Adams: 47.4% from the slot, 37.2% outside, 1.1% tight or backfield

MVS: 54.6% from the slot, 30.3% outside, 5.5% tight or backfield

Lazard: 56.9% from the slot, 12.0% outside, 11.9% tight or backfield

Courtesy of rotoworld

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Jun 2021 07:17
Interesting alignment numbers:

As a percentage, all our receivers lined up in the slot a bunch last year:

Davante Adams: 47.4% from the slot, 37.2% outside, 1.1% tight or backfield

MVS: 54.6% from the slot, 30.3% outside, 5.5% tight or backfield

Lazard: 56.9% from the slot, 12.0% outside, 11.9% tight or backfield

Courtesy of rotoworld
Does that even work out statistically?

Let me work out how many snaps that is...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

NCF wrote:
01 Jun 2021 06:45
BF004 wrote:
31 May 2021 21:50
Packfntk wrote:
31 May 2021 18:05

Wow, so any burner in the NFL should be ranked really high. Speed is everything. Not a fan of this argument at all.
Silly town, of course any burner isn’t a deep threat, that’s obvious, no one is saying anything so ridiculous. Like any good WR, routes are set up throughout a game and throughout weeks. MVS has this mastered. He is one of a handful who can consistently win deep. 100% changes how a defense plays you.

His ilk are very few who can do that. Not 32 in the league.
If it were simple, we'd all still be talking about Jeff Janis.
TBF, If #12 didn't absolutely hate him for some reason, we'd still be talking about Jeff Janis.

Janis was MVS with better hands and much better blocking.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jun 2021 08:49
Does that even work out statistically?

Let me work out how many snaps that is...
I don't think it does, which is why i listed the source. I'm wondering if they're considering the off ball flanker on the same side as the tight end as "slot" based on how wide he's aligned? There seem to be more total slot snaps than outside snaps counted. But who knows; it still paints an interesting picture of usage. Lazard and MVS basically in the slot the same(ish) percentage, but Lazard more likely to be sucked in and tight and MVS more likely to be pushed out and wide. Fits with what we'd guess I think, except the slot usage for MVS is higher than I expected.

I'm interested to see how those snaps are divvied up with a new big slot added to the mix (Funchess) and a new traditional slot (Amari)