Adams Contract Talks Halt

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Gutey literally said this morning that the team and Adams both agree that he's worthy of being the highest-paid WR in the league, but the disagreement comes with the details of what you consider to be the highest paid player.

Sounds like we nailed it with debating about new money/new years versus total contract value.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, even last time this topic came up (i.e. before I knew he was seeking Hopkins money) I was kinda leaning against giving him a big payday. Adams will be 29 this year, and his value is as high as it can get right now. I would not pay top dollar to a guy who will likely begin to decline around halfway into the deal.

I wouldn't hate it, because I do think his game will age well (and it will be a big help to Love early on) but I think I rather use that money to keep other guys, especially as we start to transition to a Jones-Dillon running attack.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
29 Jul 2021 17:25
Yeah, even last time this topic came up (i.e. before I knew he was seeking Hopkins money) I was kinda leaning against giving him a big payday. Adams will be 29 this year, and his value is as high as it can get right now. I would not pay top dollar to a guy who will likely begin to decline around halfway into the deal.

I wouldn't hate it, because I do think his game will age well (and it will be a big help to Love early on) but I think I rather use that money to keep other guys, especially as we start to transition to a Jones-Dillon running attack.
This is where I actually think the Cobb trade makes sense.

He is under contract in 2022. So let's say we decide to blow up the roster and move on with Love, which I think we do.

We can still have a WR corps mixed of Cobb and Rodgers. We can then also decide on Funchess, Lazard and MVS at likely cheap rates and then use a draft pick to bring in a new talented WR to play into that #1 role.

I actually don't think our WR group is in as dire of straights as I feared it may have been 5 months ago. It's at least passable.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jul 2021 20:26
Labrev wrote:

He is under contract in 2022. So let's say we decide to blow up the roster and move on with Love, which I think we do.

We can still have a WR corps mixed of Cobb and Rodgers. We can then also decide on Funchess, Lazard and MVS at likely cheap rates and then use a draft pick to bring in a new talented WR to play into that #1 role.

I actually don't think our WR group is in as dire of straights as I feared it may have been 5 months ago. It's at least passable.
That is not a passable WR room with a Jordan Love at QB. That draft pick you speak of will probably be in the 25-32 area of draft position if things go how we think they might. That WR room will be awful.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Jul 2021 20:56
go pak go wrote:
Labrev wrote:

That is not a passable WR room with a Jordan Love at QB. That draft pick you speak of will probably be in the 25-32 area of draft position if things go how we think they might. That WR room will be awful.
It's going to not be a great room. That is the price we are paying by what we decided to do this year.

But I have thought about that too. Does it make sense to keep your good defense together so your QB doesn't need to ball out? Or does it make sense to let go of some defensive players so you can get your QB some confidence even if the win-loss record isn't there?

Like if the Packers move on from Zadarius Smith and Preston Smith....suddenly we have cap space for Adams.

Anything is on the table. But personally, I think I would rather extend Smith and be a physical defense and running team while Love slowly develops.

I also meant draft pick as in "top 10 draft pick because we traded away Aaron Rodgers"
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Labrev wrote:

Love at QB -and- Jones and Dillon at RB, plus a solid TE group. I agree you probably want a guy in the mix who can be a true #1 WR but I think the O will largely revolve around the running game, and that the pass will mainly revolve around play-action and some small ball. Love and the passing game do not have to be great right away.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jul 2021 21:10
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

It's going to not be a great room. That is the price we are paying by what we decided to do this year.

But I have thought about that too. Does it make sense to keep your good defense together so your QB doesn't need to ball out? Or does it make sense to let go of some defensive players so you can get your QB some confidence even if the win-loss record isn't there?

Like if the Packers move on from Zadarius Smith and Preston Smith....suddenly we have cap space for Adams.

Anything is on the table. But personally, I think I would rather extend Smith and be a physical defense and running team while Love slowly develops.

I also meant draft pick as in "top 10 draft pick because we traded away Aaron Rodgers"
Okay good point about potential loot we get for Rodgers in a trade. But isn’t Gary supposed to be the guy that keeps you from having to pay an aging Zadarius? He will be near 30 at that time.

In the end, the way I see at this point, (could change) is that there is little excuse for what is going to happen to the Wr room post Adams. I do hope we move on bc I want that cap space for other purposes (and I love Adams), but we should have maybe just planned on the mvp qb being our guy as we draft a potential 1 instead of Love, or resign Jones and draft a WR at 2 instead of Dillon (2 is very high for a back)...anything, literally anything...that would allow us to move on from Adams and have a WR room better than the list you listed earlier as our potential options. I just think that group is bad, like bad bad...and not the way you set Love up for success. Compare that WR room to what Rodgers walked into his first few years.

I know we we want to be a run heavy team, but teams will just put 8 in the box and dare one of those guys to beat one v one coverage as Love looks for the open guy. Doesnt seem like a recipe for success for love...at this point. (Understanding things can change).

Cobb in 2022 when you have an Amari playing his position in a post Rodgers world does nothing to make me feel better about the room either.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote: Like if the Packers move on from Zadarius Smith and Preston Smith....suddenly we have cap space for Adams.
This piece, to me, is going to be interesting in terms of the input Rodgers wants.

Is Rodgers going to advocate for players he sees as essential pieces to his success over players who may represent equally (or greater) value to the team? And how will those other top shelf players respond if they are cut while other Rodgers’ “favorites” are retained?

The looming cap situation has painted the organization into a corner as far has some players will need to go. When Gute seeks out Rodgers’ input, that could put Rodgers in a very difficult spot.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Y’all worrying about 2022…. :nono:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
29 Jul 2021 21:53
This piece, to me, is going to be interesting in terms of the input Rodgers wants.

Is Rodgers going to advocate for players he sees as essential pieces to his success over players who may represent equally (or greater) value to the team? And how will those other top shelf players respond if they are cut while other Rodgers’ “favorites” are retained?

The looming cap situation has painted the organization into a corner as far has some players will need to go. When Gute seeks out Rodgers’ input, that could put Rodgers in a very difficult spot.
Good points. I still think Gute has been in the shallow end as a GM during his tenure due to being able to rely on so many staples of the team that were acquired by his predecessor. In reality, he got lots of money to buy FAs and he pretty much hit home runs a few years ago, but now the bill for bringing in those players is coming due.

Beyond that, his best work has been filling out the bottom of the roster. I give him big credit for his work in this area. I feel the second half of the roster had become awful under TT at the end, and Gute has largely fixed this problem.

While he has done good things, he still fell into situations that many new GMs could only dream of...such as having a Rodgers, Adams, Clark, Bahk, linsley, and A Jones on the roster already. He was basically given the cornerstones to build a contender, and just charged with filling in massive gaps and developing backups...he’s done well at that.

But those staples are getting older. Linsley is already gone. Aaron Jones in my opinion was lucky to be retained, Adams is a toss up at this point, the expensive FAs are almost ready for another paycheck, and the great draft selections Gutey has made like Jaire and Jenkins are ready to see generational wealth too.

As Gutey gets out into the deep end his drafts will come much more into focus. As Teds drafted staples move on, has Gutey found enough staples beyond just guys drafted in round one and two? Has Gutey found cheap guys under contract for multiple years because they were drafted in late rounds that can fill out a top heavy roster?

These things will determine his tenure as GM and how long it lasts. And we are about to find out if the checks from his drafts cash out, and soon.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Jul 2021 22:10
Y’all worrying about 2022…. :nono:
That’s when Adams contract expires tho :lol:

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

APB wrote:

I don't think this will be an issue because Rodgers will no longer be with the Packers.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

williewasgreat wrote:
30 Jul 2021 04:49
APB wrote:

I don't think this will be an issue because Rodgers will no longer be with the Packers.
And that is the only way the Packers can afford to resign Adams. They still have to decide whether he is worth resigning at what he is going to get from some team.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I have my doubts that either of Rodgers or Adams are Packers next year, so the only personal decision Rodgers will be a part of is bringing aboard Cobb.

and if thats the case use a 1st rounder on a WR next year, should have done that 3 years ago anyway, I'd also keep the defense intact, a good defense can keep the score down so the running game can work and where not forced to pass and play catch up.

would be nice to keep Adams, but it sounds like he's going to stick to his demands, no matter how the contract is worded, he's still going to cost well over 20 per year, and minus Rodgers he's not going to want to gamble on Loves ability, he's gone.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
go pak go wrote: Like if the Packers move on from Zadarius Smith and Preston Smith....suddenly we have cap space for Adams.

I mean if we are being honest, when it comes to 2022 cap and beyond, Rodgers won't give a sh*t. He gone. And he knows it.

It's why he is perfectly fine with the Packers paying for all these current players with 22 and 23 cap.

And if I am being honest, I don't really care either. I have accepted who we will be next year. You just basically want to keep players you think will be important for that next run.

We have already decide Clark, Bakh, Alexander will be those guys. I think we could probably also do Amos and one more.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
30 Jul 2021 06:24
I have my doubts that either of Rodgers or Adams are Packers next year, so the only personal decision Rodgers will be a part of is bringing aboard Cobb.

and if thats the case use a 1st rounder on a WR next year, should have done that 3 years ago anyway, I'd also keep the defense intact, a good defense can keep the score down so the running game can work and where not forced to pass and play catch up.

would be nice to keep Adams, but it sounds like he's going to stick to his demands, no matter how the contract is worded, he's still going to cost well over 20 per year, and minus Rodgers he's not going to want to gamble on Loves ability, he's gone.
This is where I am at too. I would rather keep a good defense.

BTW, this is essentially a contract year for Z Smith and he knows it. If Z has another "down" year, this could be his last in GB. It's why he wants a contract extension right now so badly.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
30 Jul 2021 06:43
Yoop wrote:
30 Jul 2021 06:24

This is where I am at too. I would rather keep a good defense.

BTW, this is essentially a contract year for Z Smith and he knows it. If Z has another "down" year, this could be his last in GB. It's why he wants a contract extension right now so badly.
haha, you mean a down year from being the best in the league :lol: what was Donald last year??? #6 I think, it's really hard to be as good as Z was 2 years ago, whatever I hope he does have to prove himself till at least the mid point of the season.

want to see how Barry schemes the front 7, cause if we do play a bunch of 50 front we have to have a couple guys that can drop and cover, I think doing it as much as Preston did made it to obvious and not only did he decline, but so did the over all pass rush, offense new how to set there blocking schemes, deception gets lost I think.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gary is going to want to get paid right after the time Zadarius at age 30 is looking to get paid, Bahk is deep in his deal, Clark is deep in his deal, and Jaire will have just been paid, then Jenkins will be up next to get paid. I continue to think Z getting a big check from Packers is unlikely. For him, I see it depending on the type of discount he wants to take.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

By all accounts, Gutey seems determined to work something out with Adams. Who can blame him really? The guy is amazing.

But I was wondering if there was consensus or varying opinion on resigning Adams. Adams is one of my favorite Packers. I do believe he is a top 3 WR in the league. I also think we desperately need him, because our bench is weak behind him. That said, I understand opportunity cost. If not resigning Adams meant we promptly pay Jaire, keep Tonyan, maybe MVS if he has a great year, and bring in an FA WR...might it be worth letting him go, when we consider the things we can buy without him?

I understand Gutey seems set on getting the deal done, we shall see if he can or not...but would you rather have Adams and lose multiple starters on the team? Or lose Adams and resign multiple players that currently start?

Edit: I see some people posted opinions before on this topic, just wondering if there are any new opinions on the matter.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Aug 2021 09:34
By all accounts, Gutey seems determined to work something out with Adams. Who can blame him really? The guy is amazing.

But I was wondering if there was consensus or varying opinion on resigning Adams. Adams is one of my favorite Packers. I do believe he is a top 3 WR in the league. I also think we desperately need him, because our bench is weak behind him. That said, I understand opportunity cost. If not resigning Adams meant we promptly pay Jaire, keep Tonyan, maybe MVS if he has a great year, and bring in an FA WR...might it be worth letting him go, when we consider the things we can buy without him?

I understand Gutey seems set on getting the deal done, we shall see if he can or not...but would you rather have Adams and lose multiple starters on the team? Or lose Adams and resign multiple players that currently start?

Edit: I see some people posted opinions before on this topic, just wondering if there are any new opinions on the matter.
My thoughts are that it kind of depends on this season. If the team finishes strong and the only difference next year is we are moving forward without Aaron, then yeah, I want him back. If it seems like we are a little ways away and will be breaking in a new QB, I am more apt to blow up the team a little more. Move on from Adams, Z and any guys that aren't really part of a new 5-year core so they can afford guys like Jaire while adding new young blood to the team.

Read More. Post Less.