Round 1 - Pick #28, Devonte Wyatt, DL Georgia

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

There isn't really anything to negotiate, I'm not sure why these guys don't sign these right away. They don't get paid until they sign.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 May 2022 09:39
Nice.

I'm taking this to mean he's the most excited and ready to go in this draft class. And that means he'll be on his best behavior and win defensive rookie of the year. It's the only logical conclusion.
Who was the last Packers to win defensive rookie of the year?
Spoiler
You sure you wanna give up that easy?
Spoiler
cheater
Hint: 1972
Spoiler

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 May 2022 13:19
Drj820 wrote:
03 May 2022 12:37
Just off the film, Wyatt continues to look like the guy who could have gone at 22. Certainly looks like a steal at 28.

Still unsure of the Quay pick. He may look great. Just not as sure about it with the signing of Campbell and my still favorable outlook of Barnes as an ILB2. But hey, maybe he comes out like a 1st rounder too.

I honestly think we will see Quay line up on the edge alot which will boost his value
The Packers are clearly looking at having the double monster ILB rotation that Tampa has. We don't want to play the 3rd safety. We want to ILBs instead. Barnes didn't let us do that on passing downs due to being a liability in coverage. If Walker reaches his potential, we have two ILBs that can almost "do it all" which will absolutely destroy opponents.

I made it no secret how I wanted a competent 3rd safety. That all flushed down the drain after we picked Walker because our defensive philosophy is shifting.

We have really no investment at safety after our top two. We really have no investment at CB after our top 3.

This all leads me to believe we plan on being a base and nickle lineup almost exclusively.

I love the position grab at 22. My only real reservation is the player we are picking is high risk - high reward.
obviously this is just prospectus, Walker is already the 4th ranked rookie to become rookie of the year, I think folks are really selling this kid short.

yep we'll be far more versatile using 2 ILB's that can both cover and better against the run then a lighter safety, less situational subbing, and we won't be caught in a run or pass package against no huddle.

I know everyone liked Davis, and Carter, in a year or so could be the best of Georgia's DT's, but Wyatt impressed me right from the start as someone who might be available to us and does both techs very well.

again if ya want a top 5 defense, you can't be as bad as we've been stopping the run, last thursday we made sure that was going to improve :clap:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Wyatt signed a FULLY GUARANTEED contract (already)? Have I missed something, or is this the new normal? Apparently, this is the new norm for first round draft pick. (Sometimes I really hate the NFL.)

Per Rappaport:
4 years
$12,86M
$6.533M signing bonus
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
05 May 2022 09:52
Wyatt signed a FULLY GUARANTEED contract (already)? Have I missed something, or is this the new normal? Apparently, this is the new norm for first round draft pick. (Sometimes I really hate the NFL.)

Per Rappaport:
4 years
$12,86M
$6.533M signing bonus
The line at which the contract is fully guaranteed has been inching back, I think. I might be mis-remembering, but each year around the draft slots where it happened the prior year, the next pick or two pushes for it. I feel like we're at around picks 25/26 now, so getting the contract done at 22 isn't contentious.

This is my recollection, but it's entirely possible that I am confusing guarantees with some other contract issue like offsets and that actually all first round picks are fully guaranteed and they have been for years or something. So take my input with that grain of salt/uncertainty

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:

Per Rappaport:
4 years
$12,86M
$6.533M signing bonus
it stop teams from cutting a guy after just 1 or 2 seasons

The entire contracts of the first 28 picks of the first round were fully guaranteed in 2021, which was two more players than in 2020. The deals for the final four picks of the first round were guaranteed for the first three years.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Scott4Pack wrote:

Per Rappaport:
4 years
$12,86M
$6.533M signing bonus
$6.5M signing bonus... so we are essentially guaranteeing the other $6M over 4 years... so..... who cares? These rookie deals are a Godsend and they should be fully guaranteed.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
05 May 2022 10:05
Scott4Pack wrote:

Per Rappaport:
4 years
$12,86M
$6.533M signing bonus
$6.5M signing bonus... so we are essentially guaranteeing the other $6M over 4 years... so..... who cares? These rookie deals are a Godsend and they should be fully guaranteed.
That’s cheap as long as he doesn’t suck
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
05 May 2022 10:05
Scott4Pack wrote:

Per Rappaport:
4 years
$12,86M
$6.533M signing bonus
yep, you betcha, it's a bargain, whats a few mil. here or there :lol:

basically a win for both parties, it protects the team from those idiotic rookie contracts years ago, and the player from being drafted into a poor fit and having his career derailed when cut after one season, it says to the GM get it right or pay the kid for being stupid, it's a good thing. :aok:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

What is wrong with paying a first rounder 12.8 million to have him for 4 years?
If a team doesnt want to guarantee a player money, they can just always trade back out of the first round.

The player has obviously put out good college tape, worked hard, has good measurables and is projected to be able to help a team...shouldnt the team then take on a bit of risk for forcing the player to come play for their org? Not only that, Wyatt could be a star in year one and quickly deserve 12 million in year 2. But, luckily for the team, he is signed on to make a set reasonable rate.

I like guaranteed deals for first rounders. If a team lacks confidence in their pick or doesnt want to take on the risk, they should pick players from the scrap heap in later rounds.

Good for Wyatt. Made himself alot of money in that National Championship game

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

image.png
image.png (73.66 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Yall. SO many opinions. I'm not going through and bolding "#FC scout" in this quote.
AFC scout: “He’s a 3-technique penetrator. He’s a really good player. I see him as a late one, early two. He’s an athletic 3-technique. He’s got some strength at the point of attack and interior gap quickness. He will hustle to the ball. He’s a little bit of a screw-up but he loves football. He’s a better fit for a 4-3 team than a 3-4.”

NFC scout: “He’s a twitched-up guy. He’s a guy that got overshadowed for the most part at Georgia. What you saw at the combine, he moves like that for real. You saw flashes in college. He has huge upside as a pass rusher, and you know he can play the run because that’s what they do (at Georgia).”

AFC scout: “I think he’s got a chance to do that (be an outstanding pass rusher).”

NFC scout: “He makes a mess in there. Doesn’t have much talent but guy plays his ass off. He’s smart. Got technique. He’ll get crushed but he keeps coming. The scheme helps him. Not a pass rusher by any stretch. Energy tough guy. Second round.”

AFC scout: “He’s pretty well-rounded. He can rush and is a great athlete.”

NFC scout: “He has the potential to be a three-down guy. He really tested well even though his production numbers didn’t (match). I don’t know if he the potential to be the next Danielle Hunter of the world in that he didn’t have a lot of production coming out but was so unique athletically. He has some in-line pass rush ability. Three-technique.”

AFC scout: “I’d take (Jordan) Davis. They lined (Wyatt) up all over the line. Has quickness, agility. He’ll show you an explosive first step to engage and penetrate. He improved his hand use as a pass rusher as the 2021 season progressed. He has a knack for getting his hands up in passing lanes and batting the ball down. Potential starting defensive tackle. Three-technique projection. Can he continue to develop as an interior rusher?”

NFC scout: “He’s a f---up so he may slide but he is talented. He’s not as big as Gerald McCoy. He’s got more movement than Kenny Clark. A little bigger than Tommie Harris but he’s got lateral movement and explosiveness like that. Good player. I’m still working through his off-the-field. Domestic violence. (Wyatt was charged with three misdemeanors in a domestic incident in 2020 but charges were dropped) … Holy f---, is he talented. He can do whatever he wants. I rated him higher than (Jordan) Davis. He’s not as stout. More athletic.”

AFC scout: “Struggles to learn. Aptitude concerns are real. Surprised the staff with knowledge of the defense. Accountable, on time, shows some leadership. Best fit is as a 4-3 3-technique where he can use his athletic ability and hide his small frame more. Not a fit for 3-4 teams. Wasn’t in the shape he needed to be in (2020). Got his weight back down (in 2021).”

AFC scout: “He’s the closest in the draft to Jeffery Simmons.”

NFC scout: “He is a better player than Davis.”

AFC scout: “He’d be good for a team that features a 3-technique playing in the gaps. That would be close to ideal for his system fit. It would allow him to play upfield, get off the ball. That’s who he is.”

AFC scout: “He’s not a wow like (DeMarvin) Leal but he’s really good at everything. He’s really stout, very strong, can hold a double, dominate a single. There has been some underachiever to him over the course of his career. May have had a senior epiphany … He could play both interior spots. He’s strong, athletic. He can bend. Good with his hands. You want him to finish better but there were times he was almost unblockable, and he wasn’t playing against The Little Sisters of the Poor.”

AFC scout: “He’s a little bit of a turd but he’s got more upside than Davis. He’s good; the really good one there is still there. Jalen Carter. He’s the best player on their team.”

NFC scout: “Explosive, powerful. He can easily handle single blocks and block-backs by offensive linemen. Good instincts to shock and shed. Good plant and change direction. Has acceleration in chase. Not as big or explosive as Davis but much more twitch. Strong at the point. He can run.”

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I want to stop in here to comment about the off-field concerns of Wyatt even though I'm mostly responding to conversation happening elsewhere (Cheese curds thread, criminals, etc).

The thing that concerns me about Wyatt is less what he has done and more what that indicates he might do. The problem with taking the attitude that "he hasn't laid his hands on anyone" is that it might lead people to believe that he is incapable or unlikely to do so in the future. But that's typically not how domestic violence evolves and occurs.

It usually is a pattern that slowly escalates, where each minor escalation isn't a big step away from the next, but eventually gets to the point that crosses the line. Breaking things during an argument is a step in that process. A 300-pound man who has argued so loudly with his girlfriend multiple times then taking the next step of breaking down a door that she put in between them to ensure her safety from his temper is a REALLY bad sign. It is also terrifying from the woman's point of view because SHE doesn't know if breaking down the door is where he'll stop or if he's coming through that door to do harm.

If the team and player are taking seriously these patterns and engaging him in any sort of anger management or counseling to ensure that we break the pattern before it evolves, then I'm totally fine. If the team is taking the approach that as long as he didn't hurt anyone, he's got this under control, then the team is likely to be wrong.

That's just the facts. I'm not putting my own judgement in on what's right and wrong, but simply pointing out that most often, domestic violence is an evolution and a pattern, not just some binary black-and-white of "violence" or "no violence."

So yeah, I trust that the team did its homework. But I can only HOPE that they are taking steps to make sure his door-kicking anger remains under his control and can be focused on the football field and well-managed outside of that.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

go pak go wrote:
28 May 2022 16:51
I am pretty stoked about this guy as a game changer. Do not care about his supposed off the field stuff.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Realist wrote:
28 May 2022 18:17
go pak go wrote:
I am pretty stoked about this guy as a game changer. Do not care about his supposed off the field stuff.
NFL Network recently replayed the 1998 MNF game Vikings vs. Packers at Lambeau. Vikings had Randall Cunningham, Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Robert Smith, Randall McDaniel, etc on offense. In the booth were Al Michaels, Dan Dierdorf and Boomer Esiason. Lesley Visser was the sideline reporter. Packers defensive line was Reggie, Santana Dotson, Gilbert Brown and a rookie named Vonnie Holliday. Vonnie had 8 sacks as a rookie. if Devonte Wyatt can produce as Vonnie Holliday was able to do his first year ........... that's certainly good enough for me.

Oh, and what a defensive backfield that year .............. Leroy Butler, Craig Newsome, Tyrone Williams and Darren Sharper.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The packers rarely draft potential criminals. Certainly not in the 1st round. I have no worries about mr Wyatt. If he has extreme anger management issues, I see that as a positive. Maybe he will get angry and force a fumble in a playoff game. Maybe he will get angry and not be content with NFCCG losses. He won a title at UGA. Maybe he will get angry and help the packers win one too.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

What is super apparrent with Wyatt is his quick first step. BJ Raji had that too. His initial burst will be a significant advantage for him. Especially in the pass game.

I see him primarily as a 3 tech. I think he will be more of a passing downs player to start but also rotate with Clark as the 3 tech on early downs to spell Clark. Our depth is just amazing this year.

I think our defensive line rotation will be the following:

Early Downs:

0 Tech/1 Tech Nose - TJ Slayton and Jarron Reed
3 Tech - Kenny Clark and Davonte Wyatt
5 Tech - Dean Lowry and Kenny Clark

3rd Down or Clear Passing down:

0 Tech/ 1 Tech Nose - Kenny Clark, TJ Slayton, Jarron Reed
3 Tech - Davonte Wyatt and Kenny Clark
5 Tech - Dean Lowry and Davonte Wyatt

I believe we will see a lot of rotation keeping everyone fresh. We have so much depth and so much versatility this year. It's going to be really exciting.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 May 2022 10:44
Realist wrote:
go pak go wrote:
NFL Network recently replayed the 1998 MNF game Vikings vs. Packers at Lambeau. Vikings had Randall Cunningham, Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Robert Smith, Randall McDaniel, etc on offense. In the booth were Al Michaels, Dan Dierdorf and Boomer Esiason. Lesley Visser was the sideline reporter. Packers defensive line was Reggie, Santana Dotson, Gilbert Brown and a rookie named Vonnie Holliday. Vonnie had 8 sacks as a rookie. if Devonte Wyatt can produce as Vonnie Holliday was able to do his first year ........... that's certainly good enough for me.

Oh, and what a defensive backfield that year .............. Leroy Butler, Craig Newsome, Tyrone Williams and Darren Sharper.
Totally unrelated but I honestly believe Craig Newsome would have been a HOFer. One of my all time favorite packers.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Realist wrote:
29 May 2022 11:44
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 May 2022 10:44
Realist wrote:

Totally unrelated but I honestly believe Craig Newsome would have been a HOFer. One of my all time favorite packers.
Newsome had a certain justified swagger at the DB position. Great player.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NFC scout: “He’s a f---up so he may slide but he is talented. He’s not as big as Gerald McCoy. He’s got more movement than Kenny Clark. A little bigger than Tommie Harris but he’s got lateral movement and explosiveness like that. Good player. I’m still working through his off-the-field. Domestic violence. (Wyatt was charged with three misdemeanors in a domestic incident in 2020 but charges were dropped) … Holy f---, is he talented. He can do whatever he wants. I rated him higher than (Jordan) Davis. He’s not as stout. More athletic.”
AFC scout: “He’s the closest in the draft to Jeffery Simmons.”
[mention]Yoop[/mention] literally has nothing to complain about anymore. :lol:
Yoop wrote: