Lions @ Packers GDT: Sunday, Jan. 8th, 7:20 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:05
Pugger wrote:
09 Jan 2023 09:52
Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Jan 2023 08:34

This!

After the Lion defense shifted, there was a wide gap for our QB to sneak through for what should’ve been an easy first down. We couldn’t have asked for any better. But if our HOF QB isn’t bright enough to see that and make it happen, then he isn’t as good as we would hope.

Tragically, he did that very same thing (run a sneak) just a little later! And it worked for the first down too!
I bemoaned about this stupid decision earlier in this thread during the game and there were a couple who disagreed with me. They seemed to like Matt's aggressiveness. There is time and place to go it on 4th down but NOT on your own 30 yard line! You punt here and force the other team to go the length of the field instead of giving your opponent a gift wrapped FG or TD.
We needed like 1 yard, a QB sneak does the trick 99 times out of 100, especially with the way their defense lined up. Instead, we audibled to an end-around with one of our worst ball carriers.
The end-around call was atrocious and yes a QB sneak is usually successful but why tempt fate there? If we were closer to midfield then go for it. Too many things, even with a QB sneak, can go wrong so I still say punt it in that situation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I actually think that these Packers have more physical talent than the Lions, from a perspective of the entire roster. The problem is that the Lions have learned how to be a winning team. And this Packer squad hasn’t.

Give me the over-achieving team over the undisciplined, unmotivated guys anytime. I might not win a Superb Owl with them. But I’ll have a winning team and in contention every year.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:02
Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2023 09:42
Not sure what Dusty is talking about. How many times this year were we up by less than a td or down by less than a td at half against an inferior talented team and ending up losing? That’s what people mean by soft. Bunch of front runners. Team drips with swag when ahead, looks spooked or disinterested or confused when losing. Only game I remember us coming back from in impressive fashion was Dallas when Dak donated the defense some ints. The Miami game was a nice comeback but feels less exciting now that we know Tua was concussed so bad he missed two games
I don't think this bunch was ever disinterested. And some of our loses were not to an inferior talented team. The other teams that beat us like the Jets and Commanders have just as much if not more talent as we do.
The Packers lost to the vikings, giants, jets, lions, titans, eagles, and detroit again....no doubt in my mind we have more talent than the giants, jets, lions, and titans. Just look at our alleged QB advantage. Its miles ahead. Look at the alleged talent we are supposed to have on defense. Add in the RB duo we have. ya...we are way more talented than many teams that beat us.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

This!

After the Lion defense shifted, there was a wide gap for our QB to sneak through for what should’ve been an easy first down. We couldn’t have asked for any better. But if our HOF QB isn’t bright enough to see that and make it happen, then he isn’t as good as we would hope.

Tragically, he did that very same thing (run a sneak) just a little later! And it worked for the first down too!
I bemoaned about this stupid decision earlier in this thread during the game and there were a couple who disagreed with me. They seemed to like Matt's aggressiveness. There is time and place to go it on 4th down but NOT on your own 30 yard line! You punt here and force the other team to go the length of the field instead of giving your opponent a gift wrapped FG or TD.
We needed like 1 yard, a QB sneak does the trick 99 times out of 100, especially with the way their defense lined up. Instead, we audibled to an end-around with one of our worst ball carriers.
why would you say WE AUDIBLED to the outside stretch run, the Stretch run was the called play, if your going to blame Rodgers for Lafleurs stupid play call, then at least get it right :bkw:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:08
Pugger wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

This!

The decision to go for it was/is not my complaint. In do-or-die games you have to take on those opportunities. My complaint was/is 1) the cute lateral run play call when they were mere inches away from a 1st down and 2) QB1s failure to recognize the gimme opportunity.
Yes, you take on opportunities in a do or die game but in the 1st quarter with a slim 3 point lead on your own 31?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:11
Pugger wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Not sure what Dusty is talking about. How many times this year were we up by less than a td or down by less than a td at half against an inferior talented team and ending up losing? That’s what people mean by soft. Bunch of front runners. Team drips with swag when ahead, looks spooked or disinterested or confused when losing. Only game I remember us coming back from in impressive fashion was Dallas when Dak donated the defense some ints. The Miami game was a nice comeback but feels less exciting now that we know Tua was concussed so bad he missed two games
I don't think this bunch was ever disinterested. And some of our loses were not to an inferior talented team. The other teams that beat us like the Jets and Commanders have just as much if not more talent as we do.
The Packers lost to the vikings, giants, jets, lions, titans, eagles, and detroit again....no doubt in my mind we have more talent than the giants, jets, lions, and titans. Just look at our alleged QB advantage. Its miles ahead. Look at the alleged talent we are supposed to have on defense. Add in the RB duo we have. ya...we are way more talented than many teams that beat us.
I’m not convinced we have more talent than the Titans. If they don’t lose their QB this year, they still are in the playoffs and probably in good shape. They displayed that against us, as expected.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:15
APB wrote:
Pugger wrote:

The decision to go for it was/is not my complaint. In do-or-die games you have to take on those opportunities. My complaint was/is 1) the cute lateral run play call when they were mere inches away from a 1st down and 2) QB1s failure to recognize the gimme opportunity.
Yes, you take on opportunities in a do or die game but in the 1st quarter with a slim 3 point lead on your own 31?
Im with Pugger. That was the move of a desperate team and there was no reason for us to be desperate in that moment. The D was doing great at the time. That was the move of an entitled group that lacked patience to play smart and trust itself in the end.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pugger wrote:
APB wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I actually agreed with them going for it. But that play call was the worst they could’ve made. They have had much success with other formations and plays between the tackles all season. But they chose to get cute with a play that played right into the Lions’ speed.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Pugger wrote:

why would you say WE AUDIBLED to the outside stretch run, the Stretch run was the called play, if your going to blame Rodgers for Lafleurs stupid play call, then at least get it right :bkw:
You’re right. But it’s also true Rodgers has been given absolute authority to audible out of/into plays he recognizes to be advantageous. This is well documented from both MLF and Rodgers. He didn’t.

Blame for that play can absolutely be shared.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I’m not convinced we have more talent than the Titans. If they don’t lose their QB this year, they still are in the playoffs and probably in good shape. They displayed that against us, as expected.
Rodgers is way better than Tannehill, their secondary is awful, and their WR room may be worse that ours. They are just well coached, patient, tough, and play to their strengths...all that is the long way of saying they outcoached us by a mile. No doubt in my mind we have the much better roster on paper.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
I actually think that these Packers have more physical talent than the Lions, from a perspective of the entire roster. The problem is that the Lions have learned how to be a winning team. And this Packer squad hasn’t.

Give me the over-achieving team over the undisciplined, unmotivated guys anytime. I might not win a Superb Owl with them. But I’ll have a winning team and in contention every year.
They are undiscipined (stupid penalties and execution of plays) but I don't think these guys are unmotivated. I do agree that they don't know how to win and take it to an opponent. They say a squad is a reflection of their HC. MLF might be a nice guy but in sports often the nice guy finishes last. This Packers team is not unlike the Badgers were under Paul Christ. The Lions are a reflection of theirs.
Last edited by Pugger on 09 Jan 2023 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:

I agree, most of our losses this season come down to a lack of coaching, we have plenty of talent on defense to be a top 10 unit, easily, Barry's terrible zone schemes cost us games, big talk about switching to cover 6, and 2 as though that was a problem solver, in reality dependence on it makes us just as one dimensional as the 3 safety nickel, and the lack of 5 man rush groups Gave Goff the time he needed to pick it apart, all Barry did this year is complicate everything and make it harder for our players to succeed.

If Rodgers retires, which I expect, then we should consider a coaching over haul, or at least a new DC, OC, someone who will get more discipline out of our players.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Two words: Chill Alaska.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
I agree we have a lot of talent on D but that is a reflection on our DC if nothing else and let's pray he gets his walking papers this week. But other than AR and perhaps Jones do you think the Gmen, Jets, Lions and Titans don't have more talent on O than we do? Our WR group is not great (our rookies look promising but they were rookies), our TE group doesn't put fear in anyone's heart and our OL has been beat up for most of the season thus making things even more difficult for the O to function properly. Until we signed Nixon our ST was a joke and Crosby's leg is showing its age.

I'm disappointed we are done but if we are honest with ourselves this squad wasn't really a playoff caliber team. I'm releived we won't have to endure another thrashing at the hands of SF next weekend.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Labrev wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:27
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:

It's Monday morning, and I'm old. What does this mean?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:18
Scott4Pack wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Rodgers is way better than Tannehill, their secondary is awful, and their WR room may be worse that ours. They are just well coached, patient, tough, and play to their strengths...all that is the long way of saying they outcoached us by a mile. No doubt in my mind we have the much better roster on paper.
Yup. Me thinks you are making my case.
:-)

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Kurt Benkert’s Tweet:

“Nothing like 4th and 2 and the entire second level 4-6 yds deep.”

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Players take in the personality of their coaches. Dan Campbell might actually be insane but he’s a man. He talks like a leader. He carries himself like a leader. LaFleur looks and acts like a bitch boy. He stammers and stumbles all over his words and when you ask him questions he sounds like a weak frail man.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Half Empty wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:33
Labrev wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:27
Yoop wrote:

It's Monday morning, and I'm old. What does this mean?
"Chill Alaska" was a call Rodgers made at the line that went disastrously
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."