Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

where the heck is that Whimpy Cartoon, I would happily pay you tomorrow for a Devonte Adams today :rotf:

Heck half the league I bet is hiding dead money, maybe hiding isn't quite the right word, point is we aren't unique, but it does curtail buying UFA, and plugging weak positions the draft couldn't, it also forces you to keep a marginal player in decline because the dead money is so high, cost to much to move on and replace

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

[mention]BSA[/mention] it’s all well and good that the cap is increasing. I’ve been on the “Don’t worry about the cap, it’s about to explode” train for two years. But again, we should be moving OUT of that phase.

I agree this isn’t an issue if we stop. It just seems like we are doing it where we don’t need to in a manner I worry will be continued. Like we got addicted to the now.

Sure half the league is swimming in dead cap. That’s why not having much become a competitive advantage.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Packers sign Tarvarius Moore, safety and special teamer from the 49ers. Former 3rd round pick. Better STer than safety. Apparently elite speed. Seems a lot like a Ford replacement more so than an Amos replacement.
image.png
image.png (42.59 KiB) Viewed 631 times

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Nice, I was big on him in that year's draft. I may have preferred bringing Ford back but am cool with this as consolation.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
17 Mar 2023 16:09
Nice, I was big on him in that year's draft. I may have preferred bringing Ford back but am cool with this as consolation.
If we keep them both we'll definitely be sporting the fastest safety room in the league with Ford, Ward, and Savage. Not a very good safety room. But a fast one.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Sounds like a sure tackler that was abused in coverage. St teams guy with some backup snaps. Might be another cheap piece that matters

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Lowry just signed with the Vikes. Yow!

When is the last time that we had TWO guys leave to other divisional teams via FA?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
17 Mar 2023 16:30

When is the last time that we had TWO guys leave to other divisional teams via FA?
My bet it last year. And/or the year before. :lol:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Mar 2023 15:49
It just seems like we are doing it where we don’t need to in a manner I worry will be continued.
Somehow you missed the main point of my post, it wasn't just about a rising cap.
The Packers are acting this way now because they have to - not because they want to or because there is a change in philosophy. The pandemic deprived the Packers of $36 M in cap space across 2021- 2022 - that's what's driving these moves... and that's the hill I will die on :mrgreen:
IT. IS. TIME

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Hope they enjoy him and I hope they play him a lot when they play the packers
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
17 Mar 2023 16:43
The Packers are acting this way now because they have to - not because they want to or because there is a change in philosophy. The pandemic deprived the Packers of $36 M in cap space across 2021- 2022 - that's what's driving these moves... and that's the hill I will die on
I mean I totally agree with that for everything we've done up until now.

Now we're adding void years to a 1-year deal with a kick returner to save $2 million now? Restructuring a $2 million bonus so it amoratizes across 3-4 years instead of 1? That's just nickel and diming the cap, where the savings will get us nothing more than mediocre space fillers.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Mar 2023 15:59
Packers sign Tarvarius Moore, safety and special teamer from the 49ers.
the 9ers petitioned the league to push his FA into 2023 because he was out all year with achilles in 2021.
That didn't sit too well with him or his agent so he wanted to move on. They liked the player. He played FS in college, 9ers tried him at corner.
Then back to safety and STs

edited: More here from 9ers Wire

“Drafted as a free safety, but played CB his first season before moving back to safety. He was the heir apparent to Jimmie Ward at FS, but then Ward played well and got a new deal, so Moore bulked up to prepare for a strong safety job. Then he tore his Achilles in OTAs in 2021 and lost out on that gig. The big thing with him was the Super Bowl in 2019. San Francisco ran a bunch of 3-safety stuff and he played really well — intercepted Patrick Mahomes — just had a really nice outing. He’s a really good athlete whose best position is probably free safety, but he’s versatile enough to play strong or outside CB. At worst he’s a good special teams contributor.”

new thread on Moore here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1289&p=124700#p124700
Last edited by BSA on 18 Mar 2023 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:

Seems like it happens every year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Mar 2023 16:34
Scott4Pack wrote:

My bet it last year. And/or the year before. :lol:
:lol: I shoulda just kept scrolling down before I replied to Scott's post. :lol: :lol:

My thoughts exactly.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Lowry to the Queens on two year deal.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
17 Mar 2023 23:46
Lowry to the Queens on two year deal.
Good for Dean. Properly used, he is a good player.

Maybe not a full time starter but a solid rotational lineman. He has always gotten a lot of blocked passes.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BSA wrote:
17 Mar 2023 14:43
YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Mar 2023 11:30
The best, most efficient way to manage a team's cap and talent is to sign players to contracts that you anticipate the player will finish.
Absolutely.

And in a normal football-business world, that's exactly what GB has done. However, we still have a pandemic to pay for.
You also have a players union, CBA, agents and teams all adding massive variables to the equation and pushing your team to do things they'd rather not. So I don't think GB's philosophy has changed all that much - but the arena we play in has. In a lot of ways. You referenced how things were in yesteryear, where the cap barely mattered. That's absolutely true. And the reason for that blissfulness was a consistently rising cap that allowed for a variety of moves and strategies.

But from 2020 - 2022, the league was in a massive, unprecedented revenue/cap crunch. And they didn't want to eat it all at once
So all parties agreed to borrowing from the future to pay off the huge revenue losses during the pandemic.
That's a HUGE part of why the Packers and many teams are experiencing tightness and less than wonderful roster moves. The cap should have been much higher this year. The NFLPA & owners signed off on the plan;that borrowing is coming home to roost now. Sitting in Russ Ball's office in 2019 - they mapped out the roster/spending/bonuses based on continued consistent growth. Then all hell broke loose.

However, looking forward - the league bosses, GMs,cap guys and agents all see what's coming. The rate of increase will grow substantially as the TV and gambling dollars roll in. More from International too. More local $$ too

So while there's a league-wide puckered sphincter right now, I believe relief is on the way. That's why teams keep pushing so much out now- to alleviate the pandemic crunch and pay for it with future dollars from a rapidly increasing cap. It sucks, but it will be over soon and we'll be back to pay- as- you go and much less concern over cap-strapped moves in Titletown.
All this assumes that the world does not go into a global depression. Germany is already in a depression thanks to the pipeline being blown up and Britain is in a depression too. The largest Swiss bank is bankrupt and being nationalized. 2 US banks have failed. Real inflation in the USA is 15% and wages are at best going up 5% so the typical American family is losing 10% of their buying power every year. You guys may be doing well, but the fact is that you are the exception rather than the rule. There are only 2 nations in the entire world that are doing well economically, China and Russia and I don't see either as a market for the NFL.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Mar 2023 04:26
BSA wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
The best, most efficient way to manage a team's cap and talent is to sign players to contracts that you anticipate the player will finish.
Absolutely.

And in a normal football-business world, that's exactly what GB has done. However, we still have a pandemic to pay for.
You also have a players union, CBA, agents and teams all adding massive variables to the equation and pushing your team to do things they'd rather not. So I don't think GB's philosophy has changed all that much - but the arena we play in has. In a lot of ways. You referenced how things were in yesteryear, where the cap barely mattered. That's absolutely true. And the reason for that blissfulness was a consistently rising cap that allowed for a variety of moves and strategies.

But from 2020 - 2022, the league was in a massive, unprecedented revenue/cap crunch. And they didn't want to eat it all at once
So all parties agreed to borrowing from the future to pay off the huge revenue losses during the pandemic.
That's a HUGE part of why the Packers and many teams are experiencing tightness and less than wonderful roster moves. The cap should have been much higher this year. The NFLPA & owners signed off on the plan;that borrowing is coming home to roost now. Sitting in Russ Ball's office in 2019 - they mapped out the roster/spending/bonuses based on continued consistent growth. Then all hell broke loose.

However, looking forward - the league bosses, GMs,cap guys and agents all see what's coming. The rate of increase will grow substantially as the TV and gambling dollars roll in. More from International too. More local $$ too

So while there's a league-wide puckered sphincter right now, I believe relief is on the way. That's why teams keep pushing so much out now- to alleviate the pandemic crunch and pay for it with future dollars from a rapidly increasing cap. It sucks, but it will be over soon and we'll be back to pay- as- you go and much less concern over cap-strapped moves in Titletown.
All this assumes that the world does not go into a global depression. Germany is already in a depression thanks to the pipeline being blown up and Britain is in a depression too. The largest Swiss bank is bankrupt and being nationalized. 2 US banks have failed. Real inflation in the USA is 15% and wages are at best going up 5% so the typical American family is losing 10% of their buying power every year. You guys may be doing well, but the fact is that you are the exception rather than the rule. There are only 2 nations in the entire world that are doing well economically, China and Russia and I don't see either as a market for the NFL.
I don't want to go off topic here, but if you think people are doing well in Russia, you are sadly mistaken. My wife talks to her relatives there and it is not good.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Mar 2023 04:26
BSA wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
Absolutely.

Yoop wrote: