Random stuff

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

salmar80 wrote:
26 Mar 2022 07:44
paco wrote:
26 Mar 2022 07:30
salmar80 wrote:
26 Mar 2022 00:18

S22 is nice sized at 6,1'', and it's a fine piece of tech. Pixel 6 is a bit bigger at 6,4'', but I want one since it has the best camera sensors - Samsungs "cheat" a lot when taking pictures, while Pixel 6 actually captures more light. Samsung's photos, especially ones taken in low light, look artificial when viewed in bigger size.
Yeah, I think she'd like the Google better for that. But I don't think my carrier has them right now. Will find out in a few hours.

My wife stresses with this stuff and she won't want to buy something elsewhere and then put it on our network. Just how she is. So we'll probably end up getting the S22.

She actually said this morning that mine should be fine size wise. But don't think we'll be getting an ultra anytime soon.
The "basic" S22 is exactly new iPhone -sized. I think the "superior" versions just add screen size to make 'em unusable without holding them in both hands, and add some cool-sounding unnecessary bells and whistles - no need for them. With Samsungs, spend 2 hours removing all the Samsung software things off it, and it's a fine phone.

Google really has blown the availability of their phones. I woulda paid several hundred more for theirs than the one I now have, if it were available in my country at the time.

In a generation or two, foldable screens may become options, but not yet.
Yep, Google screwed the pooch for sure. Talked to the guy at the store a bit. They have them ordered but no idea when they'll get them. Apparently Google got sued and had to stop production for a while which didn't help.

Ended up ordering the S22+. They don't have anything in stock other than the ultra, everything else is backordered due to chip shortages. Hopefully won't be too long.

Went with the plus for the extra camera lens. Ended up saving $400 off of it, so not a bad deal.
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Another house thing. Furnace stopped working overnight. It is Lennox so I figured being a Sat that I would call a few Lennox dealers (more likely to have parts on hand). One place in Appleton was $120 weekend charge and $132 an hour (usually 1 hour charge is minimum). I called another in Ripon and the guy called me back in fifteen min. He took about 45 min and walked me through it over the phone and it is working great. It was a plugged condensate line going onto the fan. DIDN'T EVEN CHARGE.

So, Monday I am going to call their office and schedule Furnace and AC cleaning/checkup. I do every two years and it is due this spring/summer. Also going to have them install a whole house humidifier I bought but haven't installed in two years.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
26 Mar 2022 18:30
Another house thing. Furnace stopped working overnight. It is Lennox so I figured being a Sat that I would call a few Lennox dealers (more likely to have parts on hand). One place in Appleton was $120 weekend charge and $132 an hour (usually 1 hour charge is minimum). I called another in Ripon and the guy called me back in fifteen min. He took about 45 min and walked me through it over the phone and it is working great. It was a plugged condensate line going onto the fan. DIDN'T EVEN CHARGE.

So, Monday I am going to call their office and schedule Furnace and AC cleaning/checkup. I do every two years and it is due this spring/summer. Also going to have them install a whole house humidifier I bought but haven't installed in two years.
Nice to find a good place to work with. I'm waiting for my furnace to go. I know it needs to be replaced, but hoping I can squeak out another year or 2.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Still hate plumbing. Officially giving up on the toilet. Hopefully plumber calls back early this week.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
27 Mar 2022 08:00
wallyuwl wrote:

Nice to find a good place to work with. I'm waiting for my furnace to go. I know it needs to be replaced, but hoping I can squeak out another year or 2.
I hate plumbing, it's easier these days with pek tube, but then it was easy with pvc to, but somehow I always end up with leaks.

Furnaces for the last 20 plus years are practically component replaceable, about 5 years ago I had to replace draft inducer fan, pressure limit switch, condensing kit, and of all things the heat exchanger ( which only cost labor because it had a lifetime warranty), old style low efficiency furnace when that went all you could do is replace the furnace.

anyway Paco, if your furnace is of the style I'am talking about ( typically under or about 30 years old) you can probably just replace stuff as needed and keep that furnace a lot longer, if ya have a plumbing problem though, sell the dang house :rotf:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
28 Mar 2022 12:05
paco wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

I hate plumbing, it's easier these days with pek tube, but then it was easy with pvc to, but somehow I always end up with leaks.

Furnaces for the last 20 plus years are practically component replaceable, about 5 years ago I had to replace draft inducer fan, pressure limit switch, condensing kit, and of all things the heat exchanger ( which only cost labor because it had a lifetime warranty), old style low efficiency furnace when that went all you could do is replace the furnace.

anyway Paco, if your furnace is of the style I'am talking about ( typically under or about 30 years old) you can probably just replace stuff as needed and keep that furnace a lot longer, if ya have a plumbing problem though, sell the dang house :rotf:
Yep, plumbing sucks. I've got an odd combination of everything. I have a 130 year old house. Some is original, some is updated correctly, and some of it the last 2 owners did things that make you want to scratch your head. So every once in a while there's a new leak or something and I have to fix it. I'm at a time where there's several things happening at once. When I try to fix 1 thing, I uncover a new problem.

I replaced a motor on my furnace last year. But it's 20-25 years old and I know the time is coming. Probably can still replace things as it goes. But eventually will just be time to get something more updated and efficient. I'd like to combine it with an AC unit too if possible. That's why I'm hoping to hold off for another couple of years because I don't have that kind of money at the moment.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Yep, basically everything with my furnace is new-ish (last 5 yrs) except the shell. Component replacement is pretty much all it's about now.

I've self-repaired my AC unit a couple times too. Capacitors and switches, both are easy culprits to repair on your own with just a little bit of YouTube trouble-shooting help. Just repaired clothes dryer a couple weeks back after online trouble-shooting pointed to bad thermal fuse.

Point I'm trying to make is many of those expensive repair calls are typically pretty easy to self-repair with a little help from Uncle Google.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

If you thought McAfee was going to show up at WrestleMania just to make an appearance, you thought wrong.

Read More. Post Less.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

NCF wrote:
04 Apr 2022 08:08
If you thought McAfee was going to show up at WrestleMania just to make an appearance, you thought wrong.

Gotta go back and watch night 2. That was some impressive stuff.

I did see the VERY end of night 2, right when Lesnar got speared. So tired of the WWE propping up Roman. At least this time his "brothers" (which are really his cousins) didn't bail him out.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

People still care about Tiger Woods?
RIP JustJeff

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

paco wrote:
05 Apr 2022 11:19
Did you see the crowd watching his practice round? Looked like Sunday back nine. Tiger is golf. Personally can't stand him but it's reality.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Realist wrote:
05 Apr 2022 11:48
paco wrote:
Did you see the crowd watching his practice round? Looked like Sunday back nine. Tiger is golf. Personally can't stand him but it's reality.
I don't pay attention to golf really. But I also agree with you on Tiger, don't like him. But if golf hasn't found someone else to take his place yet, that's pretty pathetic.
RIP JustJeff

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

paco wrote:
05 Apr 2022 11:55
Realist wrote:
paco wrote:
I don't pay attention to golf really. But I also agree with you on Tiger, don't like him. But if golf hasn't found someone else to take his place yet, that's pretty pathetic.
If u ever get a chance to go to the Masters in person do it. Doesn't matter if u are a golf fan or not. Beautiful scenery and for 20 bucks u can get a sandwich and 6 beers. Very cool place.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Realist wrote:
paco wrote:
I like Tiger. Best golfer ever and brought excitement to the sport when it desperately needed it. The cabal tried to take him out but unlike with Kobe they failed, now he is back.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

wallyuwl wrote:
05 Apr 2022 14:14
Realist wrote:
paco wrote:
I like Tiger. Best golfer ever and brought excitement to the sport when it desperately needed it. The cabal tried to take him out but unlike with Kobe they failed, now he is back.
What do you mean by this?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Captain_Ben wrote:
05 Apr 2022 17:41
wallyuwl wrote:
Realist wrote:

Don't open that can.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wallyuwl wrote:
Realist wrote:
paco wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

APB wrote:
28 Mar 2022 15:52
Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:

Yep, basically everything with my furnace is new-ish (last 5 yrs) except the shell. Component replacement is pretty much all it's about now.

I've self-repaired my AC unit a couple times too. Capacitors and switches, both are easy culprits to repair on your own with just a little bit of YouTube trouble-shooting help. Just repaired clothes dryer a couple weeks back after online trouble-shooting pointed to bad thermal fuse.

Point I'm trying to make is many of those expensive repair calls are typically pretty easy to self-repair with a little help from Uncle Google.
Can now add the microwave to my list of appliance repair accomplishments.

Been having an issue with the 1-6 keypad buttons not working. They've been intermittent for some time but then, about a month ago, they stopped working altogether. The microwave is 17 years old so I had accepted that the unit had likely just worn out. I had priced a new keypad control unit at $170 along with a $100 minimum house visit from a repairman, seeing as I know nothing about microwave repair. Ugh. Was just gonna buy a new one.

But then I opened YouTube with the model number and starting looking around. Lo and behold, a generic microwave repair video popped up with enough info to do some basic troubleshooting. Turns out the electrical spool ribbon connector at the back of the keypad control unit has a tendency to work itself loose. Two panel screws, one keypad unit mount screw, and a tug and there it was. Pulled it free, cleaned the connector, re-seated the thing and voilà - works like new once again!

Took all of 15 minutes and saved me a few hundred dinero. Hellz to the yeah.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Could it be Tom and I are soon-to-be neighbors...?

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Captain_Ben wrote:
05 Apr 2022 17:41
wallyuwl wrote:
Realist wrote:

I will pm you next couple days