2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Apr 2023 15:34
Another possible CB ==> S conversion prospect, this guy allegedly had some spotty coverage but is a strong tackler, big, and fast.

image.png

Plus a cool name. And played for Georgia on both defense and ST when they won it all in 2021 (grad transfer to Mich St)
Good God! A 6'3" 210 pound strong safety with 4.34 speed. The Packers have several possible free safety prospects but they only have Gaines and Carpenter who have this size but they don't have this kind of speed.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

TheSkeptic wrote:
05 Apr 2023 05:05
YoHoChecko wrote:
Another possible CB ==> S conversion prospect, this guy allegedly had some spotty coverage but is a strong tackler, big, and fast.

image.png

Plus a cool name. And played for Georgia on both defense and ST when they won it all in 2021 (grad transfer to Mich St)
Good God! A 6'3" 210 pound strong safety with 4.34 speed. The Packers have several possible free safety prospects but they only have Gaines and Carpenter who have this size but they don't have this kind of speed.
Sounds eerily familiar to Josh Jones. Talk about a wasted draft pick.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

williewasgreat wrote:
05 Apr 2023 08:37
TheSkeptic wrote:
05 Apr 2023 05:05
YoHoChecko wrote:

Sounds eerily familiar to Josh Jones. Talk about a wasted draft pick.
I would roll the dice on a guy with Josh Jones's physical toolset somewhere in Day 3. Could just be Josh Jones, but could end up being Kam Chancellor.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

WR candidate from Iowa State: Xavier Hutchinson

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/0 ... utchinson/

Hutchinson is a big-bodied wide receiver with strong, reliable hands that does a good job of playing above the rim. He has big-time ball skills. Put the ball anywhere in his vicinity and he’s likely coming down with the football. Hutchinson has excellent hand-eye coordination and makes contested catches look like a walk in the park. The Iowa State wide receiver snatches the ball away from his frame. He has outstanding body control and does a good job of adjusting to the ball in flight.

IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Speed score vs RAS score for draft picks and NFL players

Check out Rashan Gary

IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

One of the things that sticks with me is a comment from Mike Smith, former OLB coach in GB
He was asked about all of the rules changes to protect the QB and how that impacted his coaching and his pupils

He said that they focus more on tackling the ball than the QB - because you can still hit, punch, rip the ball - but if you breathe on the QB its a penalty. I thought that was really interesting coaching point for the pass rushers

Given that comment and the fact that QBs are getting the ball out fast- How does that impact your choice between Lukas Van Ness and Nolan Smith for example ?

Smith is faster, maybe he gets there sooner. But Van Ness is bigger/taller so he can bat balls better than the shorter Smith.
Van Ness can push the pocket into the QBs lap, Smith can run down a scrambling QB from behind. Not even mentioning run D
Very different players and skill sets- which one fits the modern NFL ?
Which one fits in GB ? Where Ron Wolf famously said:

" You can't play with little people up there in November and December. It's too hard. We had to get big people and a certain kind of person.
So maybe that failed, but in the end result, we won because of it."

Is that concept outdated in 2023 ? Some interesting things to consider, especially if both are sitting there at 15.
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Seems like the Packers are gonna need a kicker - at least some competition for Parker White

Eddie Ogamba kicked in minny and at South Dakota State so he has some weather experience

https://goyotes.com/sports/football/ros ... amba/11960

IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

From Packers Wire

Everything you ever wanted to know about TE Zach Kuntz, and more. Includes film clips

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/0 ... ck-kuntz/?

IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
05 Apr 2023 17:06
Seems like the Packers are gonna need a kicker - at least some competition for Parker White

Eddie Ogamba kicked in minny and at South Dakota State so he has some weather experience

https://goyotes.com/sports/football/ros ... amba/11960
Eddie is a South Dakota Coyote (USD) not a South Dakota State Jackrabbit.

The Yotes are red jerseys. The Jacks are blue jerseys. SDSU is a REALLY good program. SDSU has honestly been better than NDSU the last 5 years but just doesn't have as much hardware to show for it. Tucker Kraft will be drafted this year and he is a Jackrabbit.

Anyways, kicking for USD is not as big of a deal because the Coyotes play indoors. So the only game that Eddie would kick in harsh conditions would have been an away game in Brookings, SD (SDSU). All other games in the Dakotas are indoors.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

^ Awesome info gpg, thx for the illumination
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
05 Apr 2023 20:36
Tucker Kraft will be drafted this year and he is a Jackrabbit.
I like Kraft! He’s probably right behind LaPorta for me but he falls into that dead zone between preferred guys and day 3 projects where very few Packers fans that I see wind up mentioning him (including me)

He’s good at everything, great at maybe nothing, which is a really useful kind of guy to develop. Versatile enough not to be pigeon holed into a “type” of TE.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Apr 2023 22:47
go pak go wrote:
05 Apr 2023 20:36
Tucker Kraft will be drafted this year and he is a Jackrabbit.
I like Kraft! He’s probably right behind LaPorta for me but he falls into that dead zone between preferred guys and day 3 projects where very few Packers fans that I see wind up mentioning him (including me)

He’s good at everything, great at maybe nothing, which is a really useful kind of guy to develop. Versatile enough not to be pigeon holed into a “type” of TE.
Yeah. Tight End will be interesting. I feel like we could be in a bind as no TE is worth it at 15 but I could also see a huge run before pick 50 or so.

We may be forced to scramble and double dip at the end of day 2 and early day 3.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
06 Apr 2023 09:30

Yeah. Tight End will be interesting. I feel like we could be in a bind as no TE is worth it at 15 but I could also see a huge run before pick 50 or so.

We may be forced to scramble and double dip at the end of day 2 and early day 3.
I don’t see it as a bind at all. It depends on how many 2nds we end up having, but…

I agree that none is worth 15 but there’s a *chance* Mayer, Washington, Kincaid, and Musgrave are gone before we pick at 45, though I think one will be there.

But the class is deep. Taking LaPorta or Kraft or Schoonmaker isn’t scrambling. Double dipping with Kuntz or Durham or Allen on Day 3 isn’t scrambling. There are just a lot of options. Lots of different types.

And by and large, drafting TEs is for the second year anyway. Rookie TEs almost never put a dent in the need

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Apr 2023 09:44
And by and large, drafting TEs is for the second year anyway. Rookie TEs almost never put a dent in the need
Last years' top drafted TEs

Trey McBride 29 catches 265 yds, 1 TD
Jelani Woods 25 catches 312 yds 3 TDs
Greg Dulcich 33 catches 411 yds 2 TDs

About 1- 2 catches per game as they learn the toughest position in the NFL
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
06 Apr 2023 13:33
YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Apr 2023 09:44
Last years' top drafted TEs

Trey McBride 29 catches 265 yds, 1 TD
Jelani Woods 25 catches 312 yds 3 TDs
Greg Dulcich 33 catches 411 yds 2 TDs

About 1- 2 catches per game as they learn the toughest position in the NFL
I wonder how it might be different for us especially if we double dip early. Because we like, don't have anyone else, lol.

I get it could be hard to earn snaps. But we have snaps to give without them being earned.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
06 Apr 2023 13:52
Better mentality, too

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Positional rankings from Tankathon

The reason I like this one is that you can select the specific positions you want to see and it layers them in by their rankings
You can select one position or you can select TE, EDGE, WR and see how they all line up with respect to one another. Just a nice visual tool to play around with and its basically a horizontal board with minimal effort.

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/big_board
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Positional values in the draft - shown graphically

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
06 Apr 2023 23:07