Love SZN: Official Thread of QB1.

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Love doesn't seem to have a problem throwing a ball to a contested receiver. That could end up being a good thing, as these receivers develop and get better at fighting for the ball. It could result in a higher INT rate as well, but so far so good there.

Rodgers did an amazing job with completions and protecting the football, but at times he was too risk averse. I'm fine with a little more risk.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Madcity_matt wrote:
26 Sep 2023 13:58
Love doesn't seem to have a problem throwing a ball to a contested receiver. That could end up being a good thing, as these receivers develop and get better at fighting for the ball. It could result in a higher INT rate as well, but so far so good there.

Rodgers did an amazing job with completions and protecting the football, but at times he was too risk averse. I'm fine with a little more risk.
Yup. One thing we've already noted is that Love is not risk averse. But then, early in his career, Rodgers wasn't much of that too. Think of 2011. AR12 threw effectively downfield more than perhaps any other QB ever. Of course, he had a great receiving corps then.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
26 Sep 2023 14:24
Madcity_matt wrote:

Yup. One thing we've already noted is that Love is not risk averse. But then, early in his career, Rodgers wasn't much of that too. Think of 2011. AR12 threw effectively downfield more than perhaps any other QB ever. Of course, he had a great receiving corps then.
often the better the tool, the nicer the job, it's so much easier for the QB to do well with better receivers.

I watch some of Loves inside the hash bullets( so little touch on some of them) and expect deflections, some have looked rushed, just a split second longer and the receiver would have been more prepared, for the most part Love shows the inconsistency that seems natural for first year starting QB's, but he's also showed the ability to make sound decisions, up tempo quick outs, and picture perfect throws, and the ability to feel the pressure and bail.

to me Love is on schedule, still a bit early to know for sure, but he's doing far more things right then wrong in my book.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2023 14:59
Scott4Pack wrote:
26 Sep 2023 14:24
Madcity_matt wrote:

often the better the tool, the nicer the job, it's so much easier for the QB to do well with better receivers.

I watch some of Loves inside the hash bullets( so little touch on some of them) and expect deflections, some have looked rushed, just a split second longer and the receiver would have been more prepared, for the most part Love shows the inconsistency that seems natural for first year starting QB's, but he's also showed the ability to make sound decisions, up tempo quick outs, and picture perfect throws, and the ability to feel the pressure and bail.

to me Love is on schedule, still a bit early to know for sure, but he's doing far more things right then wrong in my book.
Agree across the board. I think that there is some real promise that this receiver group could turn into a strength in time.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Personally I think that if Watson had been healthy all 3 games, the Packers would be 3-0 and the favorites on Thursday. He is the difference maker and the one who pretty much causes single coverage on everyone else. Love would not have to throw into tight coverage and he would not overthrow Watson.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Madcity_matt wrote:

Yeah, I saw a tweet yesterday that said something to the effect that Love has the technical acumen of Rodgers combined with Favre's attacking mentality.

If/when Love and these receivers figure out the details and precision to make it work, look out.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Sep 2023 05:24
Personally I think that if Watson had been healthy all 3 games, the Packers would be 3-0 and the favorites on Thursday. He is the difference maker and the one who pretty much causes single coverage on everyone else. Love would not have to throw into tight coverage and he would not overthrow Watson.
If anyone hurt against the falcons plays, we win, literally any of them, imo.

That said we had to squeak it out vs the Saints.

We’ve played like a 2-1 team. 3-0 would obviously be awesome. Plus this is definitely keeping us under the radar just a bit longer.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yup to BF. The one thing this team will consistently lack is consistency. That's almost a given due to so much youth, at least on offense. If they get that ironed out, then they don't need to overcome the penalties.

FYI, PFF (for whatever that's worth) has called the Packer OLine the best in the league, even better than the Eagle's line at this point (post 3 games). While I think they can run block much better, they have definitely kept Love clean.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2023 09:22
salmar80 wrote:
25 Sep 2023 21:05
Love may never reach the heights of quarterbacking of Rodgers, but he sure feels like a winner, and the team stands behind him like Finnish stable bedrock.

The most important thing to me is that Love isn't limited by anything, and therefore can threaten to pass deep, can threaten to run, can threaten to scheme a trick play. That makes it so tough on the D.

If he misses a throw here and there, it's OK, hopefully that improves with experience and getting aces back to health. Overall, $%@# Jefferson, we somehow drafted the best thing!
please refrain from mentioning Justin Jefferson in the same sentence as Jordan Love, it throws me in a tiffy still to this day :rotf:

I know if Love pans out the decision worked, still we needed what JJ brought as a rookie, obviously I think grooming rookie QB's is the right way to do it, but is the golden rule 3 years or just 2, I still think drafting Love (or any QB) when we did was premature, jmo. :idn:
I hear what you are saying but hitting the jackpot on a QB is more important in today's NFL than at any other position. If you don't have even an average signal caller you are screwed. Just ask the Jets or the Bears.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I don't know if this has shown up elsewhere, but I've been watching the most useful thing Ken Ingals has decided to do with his spreadsheets this season--and that's track Jordan Love's stats throughout the season as they relate to other QBs through the same time period. For the 2023 comps, he picks other 2020 QB draft picks and other NFC North QBs. For the Aaron Rodgers, he looks at how Rodgers performed through the same number of games in his first season as a starter and last year with the Packers.

A Red X next to a player's stat means that Jordan Love is doing better than that player. A Green Check means that player is doing better than Jordan Love in that stat.
image.png
image.png (207.52 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
27 Sep 2023 09:35
Yup to BF. The one thing this team will consistently lack is consistency. That's almost a given due to so much youth, at least on offense. If they get that ironed out, then they don't need to overcome the penalties.

FYI, PFF (for whatever that's worth) has called the Packer OLine the best in the league, even better than the Eagle's line at this point (post 3 games). While I think they can run block much better, they have definitely kept Love clean.
PFF aint worth moose tits right now, I had to say that, just watched Pale rider :rotf:

anyway did our OL look anything like that Detroit OL, or the Eagles for that matter, and Love was under pressure on over half his drop backs, if the Detroit pass rush hadn't backed off a bit in the 2nd half it would have been worse then it was.

really getting sick of hearing this youth defense, it's not as though other teams lack youth, we need to block better, if we do that the youth and Love will play better, the OL is the biggest reason we are struggling right now, we are losing the battle of the trenches on offense.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

QB efficiency through four weeks, Love in the Top 10:

We lost to #31 :messedup: (probably would have ranked last if not for his game against us).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
02 Oct 2023 16:56
Scott4Pack wrote:

PFF aint worth moose tits right now, I had to say that, just watched Pale rider :rotf:

anyway did our OL look anything like that Detroit OL, or the Eagles for that matter, and Love was under pressure on over half his drop backs, if the Detroit pass rush hadn't backed off a bit in the 2nd half it would have been worse then it was.

really getting sick of hearing this youth defense, it's not as though other teams lack youth, we need to block better, if we do that the youth and Love will play better, the OL is the biggest reason we are struggling right now, we are losing the battle of the trenches on offense.
The "youth defense" is factual. It is something that this team must overcome. Most of PackerNation said as much coming into this year. Most of us projected an up and down season. Until this team learns how to become more savvy with experience, that's how it's going to be.

So don't be shocked by mistakes, especially while we've been hit hard with injuries. Look for the ways that the young guys learn and improve and don't repeatedly make the same mistakes.

Crosby was a great example of a young OLine. This guy (and Hutchinson in Detroit) are wreckers. They can dominate this OLine single-handedly right now. Watch and see how our guys learn to deal with players like that. They'll improve. Or we will face a overhaul of our coaching staff come February/March.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
11 Oct 2023 07:49
Yoop wrote:
02 Oct 2023 16:56
Scott4Pack wrote:

The "youth defense" is factual. It is something that this team must overcome. Most of PackerNation said as much coming into this year. Most of us projected an up and down season. Until this team learns how to become more savvy with experience, that's how it's going to be.

So don't be shocked by mistakes, especially while we've been hit hard with injuries. Look for the ways that the young guys learn and improve and don't repeatedly make the same mistakes.

Crosby was a great example of a young OLine. This guy (and Hutchinson in Detroit) are wreckers. They can dominate this OLine single-handedly right now. Watch and see how our guys learn to deal with players like that. They'll improve. Or we will face a overhaul of our coaching staff come February/March.
Scott the OL is not young, everyone on it is second year or longer, and it has dealt with the likes of Crosby and Hutchenson prior with far better success, true we did have a great blocking TE in Lewis to double team those guys.

receivers aren't always open on schedule, whats funny is when Love has a little more protection, time make his reads he has found receivers OPEN, no it's not as much receivers or even scheme, it is the lack blocking.

and I often don't subscribe to the views of Packer nation, most of the issues blamed on Love would lesson considerably with better protection, for the first part of last season it was the same thing with Rodgers, most blamed the receivers then to, and where often correct, but the OL sucked then too. and of course injury's have added to the problems.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott the OL is not young, everyone on it is second year or longer…
:dunno:

There are two (2) second year players in their first year as full-time starter. Pretty sure that qualifies as “young”.

Unless, of course, you also want to classify our WR group as experienced vets, too…?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
11 Oct 2023 18:08
Scott the OL is not young, everyone on it is second year or longer…
:dunno:

There are two (2) second year players in their first year as full-time starter. Pretty sure that qualifies as “young”.

Unless, of course, you also want to classify our WR group as experienced vets, too…?
I meant there not rookies, and Toms plays better then a 2nd year player, the rest are 3rd year or longer, Walker looks like a mime artist, he acts like a LT, but I'am not so sure :lol:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Let the O-Line leave Love hanging out to dry just one more time…

#FAFO

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

That Tweet makes me chuckle because I distinctly remember people in the 90's calling AIkman a "pretty boy" and other disparaging things, not unlike what people said about NASCAR's Jeff Gordon when he came on the scene. Funny how things change
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Seems pertinent based upon some of the arguments I’ve seen being made over the past couple days…

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Madcity_matt wrote:

He’s a point and click QB. Where the ball is supposed to go he will go. For better or for worse. It works for Tua because he’s accurate.
Cancelled by the forum elites.