Green Bay Packers' News - 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
12 Jul 2024 13:50
lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Jul 2024 12:58
As for Calvin he has what Sharpe doesnt and thats something in the record book.
He did, twice. I don't think you can throw that out and say that doesn't stand anymore. I missed out on the Lombardi era, the 70's and most of the 80's, but I got to see the majority of Sterling Sharpe's career. I am here to tell you he certainly holds a candle to what Calvin Johnson achieved with fairly similar circumstances. At his peak, I think there was some legitimate question whether he was just as good or better than Jerry Rice. I don't think any other WR ever had that consideration during Rice's peak.
Sharpes reception record lasted a season. Honestly when you look at the way the position evolved him setting the receptions record doesnt hold any weight. Calvins yardage record has stood for a decade plus and did it with one less game than the guys playing right now.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Jul 2024 15:37
NCF wrote:
12 Jul 2024 13:50
lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Jul 2024 12:58
As for Calvin he has what Sharpe doesnt and thats something in the record book.
He did, twice. I don't think you can throw that out and say that doesn't stand anymore. I missed out on the Lombardi era, the 70's and most of the 80's, but I got to see the majority of Sterling Sharpe's career. I am here to tell you he certainly holds a candle to what Calvin Johnson achieved with fairly similar circumstances. At his peak, I think there was some legitimate question whether he was just as good or better than Jerry Rice. I don't think any other WR ever had that consideration during Rice's peak.
Sharpes reception record lasted a season. Honestly when you look at the way the position evolved him setting the receptions record doesnt hold any weight. Calvins yardage record has stood for a decade plus and did it with one less game than the guys playing right now.
I won’t argue that Johnson was the better player. I simply think Sharpe was a comparable player.

If Johnson was top 3 in your mind but Sharpe was a comparable player, that tells me Sharpe should, without a doubt, be a HOFer.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I don't really like comparisons across the eras especially when discussing stats.

Here's what I know for certain from being a fan in the 90s--not even a Packers fan, which didn't come to me until 1993 at age 11, but a football fan which came to me since birth being the son of a sportswriter.

In the mid 1990s, Sharpe was in the conversation with Jerry Rice as the best WR in football. He rarely topped Rice on any hot takes or lists, but he was in the conversation (along with Irving)

So at their bests, in their primes, Sharpe and the best who ever did it were nearly peers. Rice then added to his insane top-level play added insane longevity and obviously ran far away from that conversation, but it was happening. That's not green-and-gold glasses. That's a decision I made before becoming a Packers fan. It was part of the reason I loved watching the Packers, in fact.

When the Cowboys were dominating the league with the "Big 3" on offense--Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt--I looked at the Packers and saw two of the 3 in place (Favre and Sharpe) with Edgar Bennett as a versatile possibility to be a 3rd wheel there but obviously not at a dominant Emmitt Smith level. It was specifically part of my "the Packers are the next great team" prediction.

Sharpe doesn't have longevity, but he has every bit the resume to say he was one of the absolute best to do it when he was doing it. He's in the conversation with any WR who was a multi-year top 3 player in the league at their position for all-time accolades.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Boyd Dowler belongs in the conversation as well. How to shove Dowler, Sharpe and Gillingham (and Vainisi) into the heads of the political bureaucrats that seemingly makes the calls evades my spheres and non spheres of influence.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

^^
Thx for posting that one Pckfn23

Its amazing to see GB ranked so highly on the explosive plays...young QB, young WRs and they still came in at number 2 in the entire league
Hats off to MLF for scheming these guys open and hats off to Love for going through his progressions and dealing dimes.
Super impressive :aok:
IT. IS. TIME

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

BSA wrote:
13 Jul 2024 13:49
^^

Its amazing to see GB ranked so highly on the explosive plays...young QB, young WRs and they still came in at number 2 in the entire league
Hats off to MLF for scheming these guys open and hats off to Love for going through his progressions and dealing dimes.
Exactly. And to be that high after going through an in-season learning curve - I like where this is pointing!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Packers financials are out and the reserve fund is growing nicely. This is their emergency fund, to take the place of having a deep-pocketed billionaire owner. Its separate from the cap $$. Packers add more to it each year + growth of the investments

"Per the Packers, the team now holds $536 million in the corporate reserve fund."
IT. IS. TIME

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

mnkcarp wrote:
13 Jul 2024 17:11
BSA wrote:
13 Jul 2024 13:49
^^

Exactly. And to be that high after going through an in-season learning curve - I like where this is pointing!
So true… and we saw (sometimes in person) how taking that downfield risk can lead to a t/o that determines the outcome of the game. I believe there were 2-3 instances. I’m thinking about the close of the game at Denver. The good news is that it really looks like Love and team are learning from these mistakes. This next season is going to be very exciting!!
GO PACK GO!!!

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

From NFL.com:

"The Green Bay Packers and nose tackle Kenny Clark have agreed to terms on a three-year, $64 million contract extension, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Sunday, per sources.

Clark will earn $29 million for the 2024 season, Rapoport added."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Damn!!

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Deserves own thread

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

ok so he was due about $17 M in 2024 and that means his deal is really a 4-year $81M deal. Much lower than the top-of-the-market for DTs, which is nice. I'm surprised we did this, but can't complain about the numbers.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Just sayin’…

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

8-)

Read More. Post Less.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Rumors are going around that the Pack will make JL10 the highest paid player in the NFL. Is that even possible? I mean, I do support paying him plenty. But that seems like a reach. Surely the Pack will do what they can to protect the long term of the team.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Jul 2024 18:31
Rumors are going around that the Pack will make JL10 the highest paid player in the NFL. Is that even possible? I mean, I do support paying him plenty. But that seems like a reach. Surely the Pack will do what they can to protect the long term of the team.
That’s the only possible outcome after the Lawrence contract.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Jul 2024 22:26
Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Jul 2024 18:31
That’s the only possible outcome after the Lawrence contract.
Yes, although it depends on how you qualify "highest paid." Total amount will likely be tops in history but structure and guarantees will likely put him below the top threshold. That's my guess, anyway.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

"Highest Paid" is a trophy for agents.

But yes, Jordan Love deserves the money. What he did last year, especially overcoming the lull in the middle of the season where people were doubting him left and right. We got a guy with an arm, the intelligence, and mental toughness to be THE guy for the next decade and more. Pay him.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

It is what it is. I would try a long deal like Mahomes and I'm 2 years it looks like a deal. Or if the QB comes off the cap hit in the future who cares.

Just lock him up and move forward