Aaron Freaking Rodgers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
21 Dec 2021 03:21
I wish there were a QB stat for 3-and-punt because he overthrew his open receiver on 1st down and threw the ball away on 2nd.

Say what you want about Favre but he seldom threw the ball away.

Hypothetically what is the difference between an interception on a 20 yard pass and a punt for 45 yards that nets 20 yards because out ST's can't cover?

I mean, its not like AR does not know that putting the ball into the hands of the ST is not a good idea this season.

Personally think AR is having a good season. But not MVP. An MVP does not miss Lazard twice with the game on the line. An MVP does not get outplayed by Hundley and Cousins and whats-his-name in New Orleans.
Favre would rather throw a interception, then throw the ball away. :nono:

and no, using ST woes to dictate the focus of the offense is not some thing I'd ever expect from Lafluer or Rodgers, ya can't protect ST's poor play by not throwing passes, comparing a pick to a punt only makes sense if ya can control the return, the outcome could be a lot worse then a 20 yrd return, talk to Rasul Douglas about that.

of course Rodgers is our MVP, yes we've run well with Dillon and Jones and played well on defense, but up against a very good team that played below there ability minus Rodgers we lost, and that imo would have happened a lot more this season minus Rodgers, so ya, he certainly is having a MVP season.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

TheSkeptic wrote:
I wish there were a QB stat for 3-and-punt because he overthrew his open receiver on 1st down and threw the ball away on 2nd.

Hypothetically what is the difference between an interception on a 20 yard pass and a punt for 45 yards that nets 20 yards because out ST's can't cover?

I mean, its not like AR does not know that putting the ball into the hands of the ST is not a good idea this season.

Personally think AR is having a good season. But not MVP. An MVP does not miss Lazard twice with the game on the line. An MVP does not get outplayed by Hundley and Cousins and whats-his-name in New Orleans.
I'm really amazed that anybody would say that Rodgers was outplayed by Hundley. Seriously. Not to take anything away from Hundley. He did play a great game. But he missed a few passes too, such as the 2-pointer to tie at the end and a third down to his star TE and a few others.

Rodgers is playing in a rythym that few QBs ever see. The defense hardly stopped him all game and the same for the past few games. If our offense is stalled it has been because of a blown block or penalty, not Rodgers.

I'm not a personal fan of AR's personal life at all. And I'm still not convinced that he leads and inspires enough in January. (I'll go with Brady there anytime.) But Rodgers is in a rare place right now.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BTW, I'm shocked that so many say that Rodgers is better than Favre because he's thrown far fewer INTs than Favre. Yeah, that INT is a thing. But the two of them always had different styles.

Rodgers is perhaps the best thrower of the football ever. And he is about precision in other aspects of his game too.

Favre was always about putting 150% on the field, spending himself, taking risk for maximum gain, having fun with the game, and helping the others to enjoy it with him.

That's just different styles. And both have achieved roughly the same results over their careers. It's hard to say that one is better than the other.

Look at Tom Brady. He's an over-achiever not to be surpassed. But many will call him the GOAT. Tell me that Rodgers or many others are better than Brady. I'll show you Brady's rings any time.

:-)

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Dec 2021 07:09
BTW, I'm shocked that so many say that Rodgers is better than Favre because he's thrown far fewer INTs than Favre. Yeah, that INT is a thing. But the two of them always had different styles.

Rodgers is perhaps the best thrower of the football ever. And he is about precision in other aspects of his game too.

Favre was always about putting 150% on the field, spending himself, taking risk for maximum gain, having fun with the game, and helping the others to enjoy it with him.

That's just different styles. And both have achieved roughly the same results over their careers. It's hard to say that one is better than the other.

Look at Tom Brady. He's an over-achiever not to be surpassed. But many will call him the GOAT. Tell me that Rodgers or many others are better than Brady. I'll show you Brady's rings any time.

You will NOT suck me down this rabbit hole! We start bringing Brady into the conversation and things are going to get ugly! :lol: Let's just all agree, those 3 are pretty good and deserving of their spots in the HOF.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

paco wrote:
21 Dec 2021 07:34
Scott4Pack wrote:

You will NOT suck me down this rabbit hole! We start bringing Brady into the conversation and things are going to get ugly! :lol: Let's just all agree, those 3 are pretty good and deserving of their spots in the HOF.
Oh paco! You're precious man!

I could've tossed others in there. But I just wanted to make a point.

On a good note, remember that last TD pass to Jones? Like even Aikman was impressed, "Nobody throws a ball like that!"

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Dec 2021 07:05
TheSkeptic wrote:

I'm really amazed that anybody would say that Rodgers was outplayed by Hundley. Seriously. Not to take anything away from Hundley. He did play a great game. But he missed a few passes too, such as the 2-pointer to tie at the end and a third down to his star TE and a few others.

Rodgers is playing in a rythym that few QBs ever see. The defense hardly stopped him all game and the same for the past few games. If our offense is stalled it has been because of a blown block or penalty, not Rodgers.

I'm not a personal fan of AR's personal life at all. And I'm still not convinced that he leads and inspires enough in January. (I'll go with Brady there anytime.) But Rodgers is in a rare place right now.
miss one ball on the first drive of the game after not practicing all week and you are MVP ineligible man, thems are the rules!!

lol
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
20 Dec 2021 23:11
Yeah ............ he doesn't take many risks. That's how he ended up on the North Endzone 8 yard line four plays in a row versus the Tampa Bay Bucs in the 2020 NFC Championship Game. No INT ......... And No trip to the Super Bowl.

Just sayin' (I will continue to bring this up until something changes ............ hopefully this season).

:argue:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Dec 2021 07:40
paco wrote:
21 Dec 2021 07:34
Scott4Pack wrote:

Oh paco! You're precious man!

I could've tossed others in there. But I just wanted to make a point.

On a good note, remember that last TD pass to Jones? Like even Aikman was impressed, "Nobody throws a ball like that!"
I say we divert the conversation to "Who was the Better QB" Johnny Unitas or Bart Starr? :beer2: :beer: :colts: :packers: :slapfight:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think Rodgers is clearly playing at an MVP level lately--he's on a helluva run.

He looks, again, like the best at what he does. He's always had that ability with ball placement and every throw from any angle. It's a matter of when he is/isn't dialed in, when he is/isn't supported by the supporting talent, and when he is/isn't supported by sound coaching.

When Rodgers put up middling numbers in 2017-19 (which he did, and has been vigorously debated) it was a combination of many things. Sure, he got knicked up, but you're always knicked up in the NFL and he's knicked up right now. But he was playing for a coach he didn't really trust and respect from a football IQ standpoint, whose scheme required WRs to win their 1-on-1s on a team whose WR depth was less than ideal.

The things that changed this: MLF and Gutey elevating to their current positions, mainly, have unlocked the very best of Rodgers and we're getting to enjoy it.

But there's always still been a mental/attitudinal/rhythm aspect to him, too. And earlier in the season, Rodgers was playing somewhere between his peak and his pre-MLF level. DEFINITELY improved from 2018, but not at 2020 levels. Now he's playing at/near his peak again. The question about season-long awards and whatnot isn't about whether or not he's playing at an MVP level right now (except for TheSkeptic, who seems to be the only one doubting this).

The question is just: has his resume over the whole season been better than every other player's resume for the whole season? And to say that Rodgers can make throws no other human can make, save maybe Mahomes on occasion, does not answer that question. I think that the notion that you either think Rodgers is the MVP and it's obvious or you're "anti-Rodgers" or not watching the games is silly. We're doing great. He's doing great. I'm happy that we and he are doing great. But we also have won a couple games through strong team play and complementary football when he wasn't at his best. And that's cool, too. Even when Love played, our defense stifled the Chiefs and gave us a chance. It's been a really fun season.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
21 Dec 2021 08:37
I say we divert the conversation to "Who was the Better QB" Johnny Unitas or Bart Starr? :beer2: :beer: :colts: :packers: :slapfight:
Off topic, but I'll bite

Unitas, hands down. He was innovative, and the blueprint for QBs for many years to come.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
21 Dec 2021 12:44
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
21 Dec 2021 08:37
Off topic, but I'll bite

Unitas, hands down. He was innovative, and the blueprint for QBs for many years to come.
Absolutely 100% correct. But then again Willie Davis caused that game winning fumble.....and Bart and Zeke won again.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 22 Dec 2021 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Dec 2021 09:17
I think Rodgers is clearly playing at an MVP level lately--he's on a helluva run.

He looks, again, like the best at what he does. He's always had that ability with ball placement and every throw from any angle. It's a matter of when he is/isn't dialed in, when he is/isn't supported by the supporting talent, and when he is/isn't supported by sound coaching.

When Rodgers put up middling numbers in 2017-19 (which he did, and has been vigorously debated) it was a combination of many things. Sure, he got knicked up, but you're always knicked up in the NFL and he's knicked up right now. But he was playing for a coach he didn't really trust and respect from a football IQ standpoint, whose scheme required WRs to win their 1-on-1s on a team whose WR depth was less than ideal.

The things that changed this: MLF and Gutey elevating to their current positions, mainly, have unlocked the very best of Rodgers and we're getting to enjoy it.

But there's always still been a mental/attitudinal/rhythm aspect to him, too. And earlier in the season, Rodgers was playing somewhere between his peak and his pre-MLF level. DEFINITELY improved from 2018, but not at 2020 levels. Now he's playing at/near his peak again. The question about season-long awards and whatnot isn't about whether or not he's playing at an MVP level right now (except for TheSkeptic, who seems to be the only one doubting this).

The question is just: has his resume over the whole season been better than every other player's resume for the whole season? And to say that Rodgers can make throws no other human can make, save maybe Mahomes on occasion, does not answer that question. I think that the notion that you either think Rodgers is the MVP and it's obvious or you're "anti-Rodgers" or not watching the games is silly. We're doing great. He's doing great. I'm happy that we and he are doing great. But we also have won a couple games through strong team play and complementary football when he wasn't at his best. And that's cool, too. Even when Love played, our defense stifled the Chiefs and gave us a chance. It's been a really fun season.
It has been an interesting season, and Rodgers is playing well. I guess I am just afraid it won't be good enough come playoff time to overcome all the injuries and some horrible ST mistake. And an MVP ought to be able to overcome these, given a good team around him, which he has.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
21 Dec 2021 16:20
YoHoChecko wrote:

It has been an interesting season, and Rodgers is playing well. I guess I am just afraid it won't be good enough come playoff time to overcome all the injuries and some horrible ST mistake. And an MVP ought to be able to overcome these, given a good team around him, which he has.
He's done a pretty good job making up for ST weekly failures thus far, as you noted. And it's a good thing the MVP voting takes before any playoff games thus avoiding your doom scenario.
Voting for the NFL's MVP award takes place between the end of the regular season and the beginning of the playoffs. There is typically a one-week period in which voters have time to cast their votes and submit their ballots to be tallied.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I would say Rodgers did exactly that vs the Ravens. We won because of our offense. They literally lifted the team up to win. I think that is honestly the first time that has happened this season.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Dec 2021 16:42
TheSkeptic wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I would say Rodgers did exactly that vs the Ravens. We won because of our offense. They literally lifted the team up to win. I think that is honestly the first time that has happened this season.
The last three games we have put up:

36 against the Rams (gave up 28)
45 against the bears (gave up 30)
and 31 against the Ravens (gave up 30)

I think we have won because of offense in plenty of games this season.

I would even add in the niners game where we scored 30 and won by 2. We needed every point in most of those wins.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

The big things this year showing Rodgers greatness have been:

Injuries to the oline and it still looking good. This speaks volumes to Rodgers effect on oline play.
Cardinals game. Rodgers won with no quality receivers against the number 1 team in the league at the time.
Love game. Team looked horrendous when Rodgers didn't play and only scored in garbage against soft def. "Why are the wrs and oline so bad this week?"

Outside of the ridiculous throws he does each week and being the best in the league - these three things have stood out for me.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Dec 2021 17:39
go pak go wrote:
21 Dec 2021 16:42
TheSkeptic wrote:

The last three games we have put up:

36 against the Rams (gave up 28)
45 against the bears (gave up 30)
and 31 against the Ravens (gave up 30)

I think we have won because of offense in plenty of games this season.

I would even add in the niners game where we scored 30 and won by 2. We needed every point in most of those wins.
I can get on board with Chicago. Offense did a lot of good there. Especially in the 2nd half. But I am not using final scores to make my assessment.

The offense earned their 28 points last Sunday. Especially considering how few possessions they had the ball. But the other games mentioned were helped significantly by the defense with pick 6's and multiple turnovers.

I meant this one was offensive won because the only turnover the defense provided was the turnover on downs. Otherwise the defense allowed long drives. The thing the offense did was holding onto the ball on their own to keep our defense off the field which was needed pretty bad on Sunday.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers is going down as All Time Great, of course....4 MVPs will put him there instantly. But to be on that Mt Rushmore, that top 4 that everyone will forever talk about...you usually dont see one ring guys in that convo. Fair or Foul, thats just how it goes. Many considered Dan Marino great...yet anytime an all time list comes up he isnt near the top and its basically all because there is no hardware on his finger.

Rodgers does have the one, so that instantly makes him eligible for the conversation. But I think the 2nd ring would really unlock the door to conversations about All Time Mount Rushmore, top 4 QBs ever, above all but maybe Brady just because 6 rings is hard to refute.

I hope he gets it. For his sake and for ours. I hope he gets it this year. :aok:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
21 Dec 2021 08:32
BF004 wrote:
20 Dec 2021 23:11
Yeah ............ he doesn't take many risks. That's how he ended up on the North Endzone 8 yard line four plays in a row versus the Tampa Bay Bucs in the 2020 NFC Championship Game. No INT ......... And No trip to the Super Bowl.

Just sayin' (I will continue to bring this up until something changes ............ hopefully this season).

:argue:
This stat about his small number of INTs is just insane. I doubt we'll ever see another QB like him again in our lifetime.