2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

CWIMM wrote:
03 Apr 2024 04:23
YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Mar 2024 11:05
But also whichever QB lands in Minnesota has a better chance of whichever QB lands in Chicago or New England because of the coaching and supporting casts on offense.
It's possible Jared Mayo ends up being a really good coach in New England.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I really want one of DeJean, Payton Wilson, or Cole Bishop, in that order, as a chess-piece defense player, albeit the three of them all being slightly different pieces. All of them can fill a need while having enticing athletic, playmaking abilities that I would love to see our new DC put to use.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
02 Apr 2024 21:39
1st Pick (25)
2. Chop Robinson (I know he doesn't fit Packer molds but I love watching this kid play)
While I prefer the mold that GB usually goes for at EDGE/DE, I actually really like the idea of Chop Robinson in our rotation; it would be good to have a guy who gives us something different there. You would have Gary and LVN wearing down opposing OTs for most of the game, then you throw out a guy with Chop's quickness at them... that would be a real headache.

There are also some OTs that can handle power pretty well but struggle more with speed/quickness. Again, good to have a guy like that.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
03 Apr 2024 09:19
go pak go wrote:
02 Apr 2024 21:39
1st Pick (25)
2. Chop Robinson (I know he doesn't fit Packer molds but I love watching this kid play)
While I prefer the mold that GB usually goes for at EDGE/DE, I actually really like the idea of Chop Robinson in our rotation; it would be good to have a guy who gives us something different there. You would have Gary and LVN wearing down opposing OTs for most of the game, then you throw out a guy with Chop's quickness at them... that would be a real headache.

There are also some OTs that can handle power pretty well but struggle more with speed/quickness. Again, good to have a guy like that.
I think Chop is the most realistic "I'm sprinting his name card up if he's avaialable" candidate this year. Arnold, Mitchell and Latu are likely gone by 20 but I do think Chop has a real shot at falling to 25.

I just love his motor. The dude plays with his hair on fire and I just love seeing that attitude.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

No idea who this is or if true, but I’m always a sucker for a good draft rumor.

Seattle at 16.

That’s probably 25 and 58 cost.

Mitchell, Arnold, DeJean, Fautanu, Fashanu, Latham territory.

This would be about perfect.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Also who’s up for a group mock draft?

I know [mention]Backthepack4ever[/mention] will be in.

Others?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
04 Apr 2024 09:12
Also who’s up for a group mock draft?

I know @Backthepack4ever will be in.

Others?
I could take a lap through.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I don’t believe anything is worth trading up for unless you want Quinyon Mitchell. I think the value of this class is sitting and waiting for our current roster or even trading down. We need positions of lesser value. S, IOL, LB.

Unless we really believe we can make a huge upgrade over Walker at OT or Stokes/Valentine at CB I don’t see a reason to be moving up in the 1st.

Now if we are talking about moving up in the 2nd or 3rd round I would be all for that.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Apr 2024 10:16
I don’t believe anything is worth trading up for unless you want Quinyon Mitchell. I think the value of this class is sitting and waiting for our current roster or even trading down. We need positions of lesser value. S, IOL, LB.

Unless we really believe we can make a huge upgrade over Walker at OT or Stokes/Valentine at CB I don’t see a reason to be moving up in the 1st.

Now if we are talking about moving up in the 2nd or 3rd round I would be all for that.
I love the trade back from 25 idea and then being aggressive in Rounds 2 and 3 with the extra capital.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I don't think there is a player/position who adds such value that a trade-up makes sense, but it is worth inquiring on what it would take to move.

I have done the draft sim a lot, and I feel like GB sits right at the cusp of a tier line. There are scenarios where all the players left are either do not line up well with roster need or do but are a reach at 25.

I think there are around 19-20 players worth it for us in Round 1. Three QBs are a lock to go ahead of us. So we need JJ McCarthy, Bo Nix, and/or some team to "reach" on 1-2 guys (guys like Brian Thomas or one of the DTs).

I am cool with a small trade-up from 25 to early 20s to ensure we get a Tier 1 or 2 guy. Otherwise I would move down.
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:

Mitchell is probably the best player, albeit another probably boundry only corner. I like Arnold and DeJean and flexibility they would bring right away in the slot as well. I think Cooper has the highest ceiling for year 1 impact of any player in this draft for us, especially if we can get safety reps from him.

Then also, probably not a good take to assume that the Packers would have Latham, Fautanu, Fuaga, and Fashano all similar grades just becuase that's where internet big boards have them. Very plausable we have a top 10 grade on one of those guys and would be willing to go get them and we'd have 2nd round grades on others.

I'd also throw in Brian Thomas Jr as a darkhouse target. Has everything the Packers seem to covet with a higher first round pick (young, elite athlete - speed jumping, etc, top end production, elite program in LSU, size and length, physical at LOS and blocking, premium position, and versatility, lining up inside and out.).

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft Has a cool feature now, where you can join a room with up to 9 other real people and do a mock draft of various lengths and do trades.

Pretty fun if you actually get a group of people and all are active.
image.png
image.png (45.32 KiB) Viewed 431 times

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
04 Apr 2024 13:06
lupedafiasco wrote:

Mitchell is probably the best player, albeit another probably boundry only corner. I like Arnold and DeJean and flexibility they would bring right away in the slot as well. I think Cooper has the highest ceiling for year 1 impact of any player in this draft for us, especially if we can get safety reps from him.

Then also, probably not a good take to assume that the Packers would have Latham, Fautanu, Fuaga, and Fashano all similar grades just becuase that's where internet big boards have them. Very plausable we have a top 10 grade on one of those guys and would be willing to go get them and we'd have 2nd round grades on others.

I'd also throw in Brian Thomas Jr as a darkhouse target. Has everything the Packers seem to covet with a higher first round pick (young, elite athlete - speed jumping, etc, top end production, elite program in LSU, size and length, physical at LOS and blocking, premium position, and versatility, lining up inside and out.).
less then a month to go, and I'am no closer now then I was a month ago at getting a good feel for this draft.

again it seems theirs about 10 blue chips, another 10 that deserve first round grades, another 20 or 30 that could be drafted at 19 or 45 :rotf: thats a pretty big spread.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I think no way that GB moves up nine spots in first round. If any GM has shown satisfaction to sit back and wait, with a few exceptions, it's Guty.

So, the question would be, does Guty have one or maybe even two guys that he 175% feels sure they are going to be great? If he does, that's fine for him to swing and try. He has the draft capital to do that. But history shows, he won't do that. I'd love to sit there watchign the draft when the Commish comes up and says, "The Seattle Seahawks have traded the 16th pick in the first round to the Green Bay Packers." And then waiting the next five seconds to see who we spent those picks for. To me, that would make it fun. I live for moments like that. I can complain about it later. But it's exciting to watch those moments develop.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I know this just isn't reality. But I can't see a guy named "Tampa" playing in Green Bay. So, it must not happen!

;-)

BTW, what would be the best football name for us to draft this year? Sanristill?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

@paco

Where is that draft competition at?

You get it started, I'll help you update it again.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
04 Apr 2024 21:48
@paco

Where is that draft competition at?

You get it started, I'll help you update it again.
Forums working again :aok:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I went to redig into the CB position group because I’m starting to believe that’s what we are taking. Super impressed with Kamari Lassiter. His coverage is actually insane. He won’t be a player to come away with interceptions but he will shut down who ever he’s lined up across from, inside or out. He’s so good at the catch point at getting the ball out of a receivers hands.

Could be a trade down target. I think a slight reach for a stick and pick considering he won’t make field tilting plays. Still he never allowed a single TD his whole career.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Apr 2024 23:19
I went to redig into the CB position group because I’m starting to believe that’s what we are taking. Super impressed with Kamari Lassiter. His coverage is actually insane. He won’t be a player to come away with interceptions but he will shut down who ever he’s lined up across from, inside or out. He’s so good at the catch point at getting the ball out of a receivers hands.

Could be a trade down target. I think a slight reach for a stick and pick considering he won’t make field tilting plays. Still he never allowed a single TD his whole career.
I'm not convinced that I consider Chad Forbes to be a reliable source on rumors about the Packers. As mentioned yesterday I don't believe the Packers are interested in trading up in this year's draft.
lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Apr 2024 23:19

According to PFF Lassiter allowed two touchdown passes in 2022. Still pretty impressive for a guy that was targeted a total of 108 times in his college career.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

CWIMM wrote:
22 Mar 2024 02:29
Here's a list of confirmed Top-30 visits with the Packers before the draft (I will try to keep it updated):

LB Edgerrin Copper, Texas A&M
DL Michael Hall, Ohio State
OL Zak Zinter, Michigan
Here's an updated list of top-30 visits with the Packers according to various sources:

DL Khristian Boyd, Northern Iowa
DB Omar Brown, Nebraska
LB Edgerrin Copper, Texas A&M
DB Chris Edmonds, Arizona State
OL Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma
DL Michael Hall, Ohio State
LB Ty’Ron Hopper, Missouri
CB Jarrian Jones, Florida State
OT Amarius Mims, Georgia
S Kitan Oladapo, Oregon State
CB Ja’Quan Sheppard, Maryland
LB Trevin Wallace, Kentucky