Random stuff

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott Van Pelt says good-bye to his beloved Otis the Dog.

Anybody who has ever felt the love and loss of a family pet knows this feeling. SVP puts it into words and does a fine job of it.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Anybody have any tried and true methods to get a dog to quit digging up the same GD hole week after week?

Short of shooting the dog, that is...

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

APB wrote:
09 May 2022 17:13
Anybody have any tried and true methods to get a dog to quit digging up the same GD hole week after week?

Move the body somewhere else. :munch:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
09 May 2022 17:13

Fill it with gravel

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Seems like Finland won the World Championship in Cheerleading. :lombardi:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Is the “s” or “c” silent in scent…?

:dunno:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I heard a stat on the radio that 75 McDonald's hamburgers are sold every second. Does a double cheeseburger count as 1 or 2? What about a quarter pounder or double quarter pounder with larger patties (does one count as two burgers, or a double quarter pounder count as four?)?

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Have any of y'all ever fallen into the geneology rabbit hole?

Working out my full American tree is something I've been working on for many years on an off. Hunting for clues and trying to figure things out seems to easily turn into an obsession for me, I finally finished this latest burst after a few weeks of effort. I did make a few major breakthroughs though; such a thrill when you find that clue that links you to a well worked out tree with stories and pictures. After a while though I start to feel like a crackhead, obsessively hunting for that next branch I'm stuck on.

I guess I started around the same time as I had kids (incidentally the others in my family that have worked on it too also have kids). Kind of like that Finding your Roots show.

This time around I filled in the last missing wife on the patrilineal line, a lady born around 1810, an oddly difficult time; after the civil war state records get much better, before the revolutionary war church records are much better. The time right between them is where I have the hardest time. But via this link I found (I just needed that one clue) I learned that I share a common ancestor with Barack Obama; a german couple that arrived in 1733 (their children fought in the revolutionary war). Figured out also indirectly (studied up on some US history) that my family probably spoke dutch/german until close to the civil war; the albany area of new york was not english speaking until well into the 1800's, New York was not an English colony, it was Dutch.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yep, gotten way "easier" over the last 10 years. Quotes because I wonder about the accuracy. I get sucked in for hours at a time.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Jun 2022 22:21
Yep, gotten way "easier" over the last 10 years. Quotes because I wonder about the accuracy. I get sucked in for hours at a time.
Making old records searchable has done wonders. Especially as software gets better at searching handwritten and harder to read typed text.

That and collaboration; I've made a couple of really hard to make connections, my cousin has as well, and we both share semi-publicly. 10 years ago there was a lot less of that.

Maybe when I'm old I'll write it up into book form.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

So I got 3 cards graded, think I did ok.

Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I haven't been around here much. Work and other things keeping me very busy. But its looking like I'll have a new (sort of) job soon. Some changes happening where I work and will finally not be a contractor/supplier anymore. Nice raise and some more responsibility. But mostly getting a title and salary that matches what I've been doing for a while. Never thought it would actually happen, so still a little dumbstruck.

I am planning on going to the Packers shareholders meeting on the 25th. I figured I should go to one as a new shareholder and see what its like. Getting a long weekend out of it and away from home and work (which is very much needed right now). Anyone else going?
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

image.png
image.png (664.33 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Congrats Paco with the job.
I also was offered a supervisor role today. Been trying to get this spot for a long time. It will be a &%$@ show for awhile bc we have a lot of major issues/upgrades/projects but I'm super pumped for the opportunity

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
01 Jul 2022 15:17
Congrats Paco with the job.
I also was offered a supervisor role today. Been trying to get this spot for a long time. It will be a &%$@ show for awhile bc we have a lot of major issues/upgrades/projects but I'm super pumped for the opportunity
Congrats! Same here, but I'm already doing it all so, it's not a big deal. Nice to get the recognition though.
RIP JustJeff

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Waldo wrote:
02 Jun 2022 21:19
Have any of y'all ever fallen into the geneology rabbit hole?

Working out my full American tree is something I've been working on for many years on an off. Hunting for clues and trying to figure things out seems to easily turn into an obsession for me, I finally finished this latest burst after a few weeks of effort. I did make a few major breakthroughs though; such a thrill when you find that clue that links you to a well worked out tree with stories and pictures. After a while though I start to feel like a crackhead, obsessively hunting for that next branch I'm stuck on.

I guess I started around the same time as I had kids (incidentally the others in my family that have worked on it too also have kids). Kind of like that Finding your Roots show.

This time around I filled in the last missing wife on the patrilineal line, a lady born around 1810, an oddly difficult time; after the civil war state records get much better, before the revolutionary war church records are much better. The time right between them is where I have the hardest time. But via this link I found (I just needed that one clue) I learned that I share a common ancestor with Barack Obama; a german couple that arrived in 1733 (their children fought in the revolutionary war). Figured out also indirectly (studied up on some US history) that my family probably spoke dutch/german until close to the civil war; the albany area of new york was not english speaking until well into the 1800's, New York was not an English colony, it was Dutch.
Yup. Got sucked into it. Found out that on my dad's side, his mother's side goes back to the late 1600s in MA. My mom's dads side came over during the Irish potato famine. Her mother's side from Germany in the 1890s. So my Dads, dads side came over in the 1890s from the German/Czechoslovakia border area.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

paco wrote:
01 Jul 2022 11:11
I haven't been around here much. Work and other things keeping me very busy. But its looking like I'll have a new (sort of) job soon. Some changes happening where I work and will finally not be a contractor/supplier anymore. Nice raise and some more responsibility. But mostly getting a title and salary that matches what I've been doing for a while. Never thought it would actually happen, so still a little dumbstruck.

I am planning on going to the Packers shareholders meeting on the 25th. I figured I should go to one as a new shareholder and see what its like. Getting a long weekend out of it and away from home and work (which is very much needed right now). Anyone else going?
I'm planning on going as well. If it's going to rain I won't go.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Raptorman wrote:
04 Jul 2022 08:18
Yup. Got sucked into it. Found out that on my dad's side, his mother's side goes back to the late 1600s in MA. My mom's dads side came over during the Irish potato famine. Her mother's side from Germany in the 1890s. So my Dads, dads side came over in the 1890s from the German/Czechoslovakia border area.
I've found some crazy things.

My patrilineal line (last name...) immigrated in 1654 and was right hand man to the governor in New Amsterdam when the British invaded and it became New York. It was a double immigration, a bunch of people left England in around 1610 for Amsterdam. After around 10 years some thought they were becoming too Dutch, so they boarded a ship(s), the Mayflower, and sailed for the new world. My family stayed behind a generation and yes they became very Dutch, instead immigrating to the Dutch colony and clearly being ESL until into the 1800's. Were printers in Amsterdam in the first half of the 1600's, ground zero of the enlightenment.

One of my great (x11) grandmothers was accused of witchcraft in Salem (acquitted, but 2 of her aunts were hanged).

I'm also descended from one of the American super mothers (100K+ decedents) that was part of the flagship of the first well financed colonization effort (the Winthrop fleet), She is the only known person on the NA continent in the 17th century to be direct decedent of the last Saxon king and descendent for the current crown (and BoJo...). Mrs Freeman also counts the Firestone, Morgan, Rockefeller, and Ford families as her decendents as well (and Warren Harding).

When you get into 1600's you start to get a lot of links to old European nobility. 1600's colonists for the most part were not poor people, that came later.

I've found a few revolutionary war soldiers and one loyalist that fought with the loyalist tribes of the Iroquois confederation; who fled to Canada after the war; his daughter married a revolutionary soldier just before the war though. A few civil war soldiers, all fought for the Union, brother died at the battle of Nashville. No direct decendents, but many family members killed by natives before the revolution.

If you are related to any Presidents it gets very easy as you go back in time as US Presidents have a huge amount of geneological work done; my partrilineal line was this way as its in Teddy Roosevelt's tree 10 generations back and above. Also have Harding, Van Buren, and Obama common ancestors in my tree. The German immigrant common ancestor I share with Obama was part of the first Palatine migration of 1709-1710. Van Buren was of the Dutch colony (he spoke Dutch), I share a common ancestor with him as well; Teddy Roosevelt shares this same ancestor, Claas Van Schaick; I'm decended form his oldest daughter Cornelia; Teddy Roosevelt is decended from his son Emmanuel (a second link I have with Teddy), Martin Van Buren is descended from his son Laurens.

American History 1600-1776 is fascinating, and so relevant to so many of us, but it was barely taught in schools. It was really a lightbulb moment realizing that my family that had been here since the 1650's didn't actually speak English as a first language until the civil war generation (born in the 1830's), almost 200 years later.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I don't know why, but I find this so hilarious.

Read More. Post Less.