General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:13
I hope TJ can plug a hole in the run game starting this year...if not we will have another year where we left a season with a weakness, and entered a new season with the same weakness.
I maintain that the run defense was more of a scheme problem than a personnel problem.

We played nickel against base and dime against an extra wideout. We were almost always -1 in the front seven compared to the opponent.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:19
Drj820 wrote:
I hope TJ can plug a hole in the run game starting this year...if not we will have another year where we left a season with a weakness, and entered a new season with the same weakness.
I maintain that the run defense was more of a scheme problem than a personnel problem.

We played nickel against base and dime against an extra wideout. We were almost always -1 in the front seven compared to the opponent.
Good point. I like how your hypothesis will have the opportunity to be tested very soon. I still want to blame Dean Lowry, but I see your point. I often thought presnap that we did not look like we were in a good position to stop the run.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:24
Good point. I like how your hypothesis will have the opportunity to be tested very soon. I still want to blame Dean Lowry, but I see your point. I often thought presnap that we did not look like we were in a good position to stop the run.
Yeah, to be fair, I also agree that we need a Slaton type and that if Keke doesn't step up and Lowry doesn't improve or get used better (I honestly don't know or care which it is), we still have weakness there.

But the reason it was SO bad is because we just gave them the run far too often.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:39
Drj820 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:24
Yeah, to be fair, I also agree that we need a Slaton type and that if Keke doesn't step up and Lowry doesn't improve or get used better (I honestly don't know or care which it is), we still have weakness there.

But the reason it was SO bad is because we just gave them the run far too often.
true but when we did platoon to stop the run, the opponent would pass, then go no huddle, look us into that run platoon and we'd get torched through the air, we need better coverage inside with our base package, or from the ILB's, or Barry will be forced to play hybrid ILB's.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:39
But the reason it was SO bad is because ....
You can have "a Lowery" OR you can have "a Lancaster"...but you can't hide both. 1000 snaps between them last year, that needs to be cut in half for 2021. TJ and Keke will eat a lot of those snaps and I'm still holding out hope for a Silverback DT like Geno Atkins or Gerald McCoy to round out the DL
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:19
Drj820 wrote:

Absolutely was more of a scheme issue than a personnel issue. Poor run defense on the personnel side also stemmed more from our edge play than our interior play. We could definitely use better personnel beside Clark for a variety of reasons.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I can’t remember who but I want to say Nagler was the guy said that Clark was getting too much penetration and was leaving a gap because his running mate inside couldn’t do the same so at times it left a lane to run through. He thought the coaching staff told him to try and stay in his lane and make less plays which is why it appeared he slowed down throughout the season.

Could have just been the injury but the run defense has been bad for as long as I can remember. It sucked under Capers as well.

To me it’s always been a lack of talent. Never had a competent LB duo and we haven’t seen competent interior play probably since prime Pickett and Raji.

It shouldn’t come as a shock that in 2009 we had the #2 run defense and we had a prime Pickett and Raji with Prime Barnett and Hawk.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

2009 was more about Johnny Jolly than it was BJ Raji.

The Packers have never prioritized the ILB or Dlinemen. MN on the other hand completely prioritizes the ILB and DL spots but never did to the Oline.

Not saying one way is better vs the other but you get what you invest in. The Vikings have always had a great run defense the past 20 years whereas the Packers have always had great offensive line protection for the QB.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jun 2021 12:49
The Vikings have always had a great run defense the past 20 years
no they haven't
vikings D rank vs run here

2020...27th
Over the last decade, they've averaged out at # 16...that's completely and totally average. Only 1 out of 10 "great" seasons
I think that's enough about the stinking vikes, after all- this is the Green Bay Packers thread.
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:

The Packers have never prioritized the ILB or Dlinemen. MN on the other hand completely prioritizes the ILB and DL spots but never did to the Oline.

Not saying one way is better vs the other but you get what you invest in. The Vikings have always had a great run defense the past 20 years whereas the Packers have always had great offensive line protection for the QB.
Raji had plenty of competition to get snaps over Jolly, Picket, Jenkins, but still had 6 TFL and 29 tackles, 4 sacks, then was dominate his 2nd year

and Ted took a half doz DT's that didn't amount to much, it's not as though he didn't take DL, he just didn't really hit with his picks.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Wow.

Hahaha. I was very wrong there. To be fair I wasn't including 2020 in my "head's theory" but still they are just slightly above average.

Nice work.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jun 2021 13:16
go pak go wrote:

Raji had plenty of competition to get snaps over Jolly, Picket, Jenkins, but still had 6 TFL and 29 tackles, 4 sacks, then was dominate his 2nd year

and Ted took a half doz DT's that didn't amount to much, it's not as though he didn't take DL, he just didn't really hit with his picks.
Yeah let's see.

Daniels and Clark were hits.

Thornton, Worthy and Adams were misses. Adams was just always injured and Worthy had his major knee injury.

Any other draft pick I am missing after BJ for DTs? (and I'm not meaning Day 3 flyer guys)
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jun 2021 13:20
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Yeah let's see.

Thornton, Worthy and Adams were misses. Adams was just always injured and Worthy had his major knee injury.

Any other draft pick I am missing after BJ for DTs? (and I'm not meaning Day 3 flyer guys)
Daniels and Clark where really the only hits, others like D. Jones and Neal where barely servicable as was Adams, Thornton and Worthy where clear misses, the point is Ted did take DT's, most just didn't play up to draft status

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jun 2021 14:38
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Yeah let's see.

Daniels and Clark where really the only hits, others like D. Jones and Neal where barely servicable as was Adams, Thornton and Worthy where clear misses, the point is Ted did take DT's, most just didn't play up to draft status
Okay. So you are including Neal and Jones as DT's.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jun 2021 14:58
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Yeah let's see.

sure, in our d fronts we've used them as such, same with Keke and Lowery, just because we list them as DE's there still considered interior lineman, I forgot Lancaster, another player thats lacked to impress, but is bigger and not a DE.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jun 2021 15:16
go pak go wrote:
25 Jun 2021 14:58
Yoop wrote:

sure, in our d fronts we've used them as such, same with Keke and Lowery, just because we list them as DE's there still considered interior lineman, I forgot Lancaster, another player thats lacked to impress, but is bigger and not a DE.
I'm pretty certain Mike Neal was used more as a "linebacker" and Lancaster is a UDFA.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jun 2021 15:19
I'm pretty certain Mike Neal was used more as a "linebacker"
Only after he failed at DT. He was, for sure, drafted as a DT to play DT. The massive weight loss and redefinition of his position was an effort to make something out of him.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Jun 2021 15:54
go pak go wrote:
Only after he failed at DT. He was, for sure, drafted as a DT to play DT. The massive weight loss and redefinition of his position was an effort to make something out of him.
Did he fail, though? I thought he kind of flashed early, but hit a bout of injuries. That whole position change thing was a curious case with him. I am not entirely convinced it was done out of necessity because he couldn't play DT. Neal was really the first in a long line of players we drafted who we just didn't know what to do with. Then, to make matters worse, they doubled-down a few years later and took another guy who didn't have a clear position in Dom's defense.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
25 Jun 2021 15:59
YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Did he fail, though? I thought he kind of flashed early, but hit a bout of injuries. That whole position change thing was a curious case with him. I am not entirely convinced it was done out of necessity because he couldn't play DT. Neal was really the first in a long line of players we drafted who we just didn't know what to do with. Then, to make matters worse, they doubled-down a few years later and took another guy who didn't have a clear position in Dom's defense.
Neal was a work out junkie, but who just didn't play stout enough at DT or even DE, I thought we tried him as a 5 tech to, point is he was 1 of the what ?????? 5 or 6, maybe 7 DL that Ted missed on, it's why I say I hate taking DL late round 1, and please don't mention Clark :lol: again,

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jun 2021 16:15
NCF wrote:
25 Jun 2021 15:59
YoHoChecko wrote:

Neal was a work out junkie, but who just didn't play stout enough at DT or even DE, I thought we tried him as a 5 tech to, point is he was 1 of the what ?????? 5 or 6, maybe 7 DL that Ted missed on, it's why I say I hate taking DL late round 1, and please don't mention Clark :lol: again,
Ted selected 4 DL in the first round. 2 were great. 2 were not great.
Mike Neal and Worthy were 2nd rounders. Both failed.
Thornton and Adams were 3rd rounders. Both failed.

I always liked MN's approach. They draft volume on Day 3 similar to how we draft volume for the Oline on day 3. I wish we did that more on the Dline. All we really need to do is just hit on one more Dlineman and we are good to go.
Yoop wrote: