Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Acrobat wrote:
27 Jul 2023 08:20
This is one of those moments in time where we ask, do we go down this road again? Or do we move on. We shall see!
I was just formulating a similar response in my head.

Are we really gonna do this again...?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

If a sorry franchise like the Jets want to sell their souls to that snotty LA hipster, they might as well; they weren't going to get far on their own ability.

Some among the GB faithful wanted us to do that too. No thanks. Our team has a group that I think will prove they can stand on its own two feet and need only solid QB play.

NY can have fun with him now. Our situation is very different from theirs. Whatever "great" stuff they do together does not change the fact that we needed to move on. I won't act like Rodgers's movements in NY isn't interesting to me, it certainly is, but I can honestly say I am many times more interested in news out of our own team's 'camp.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I guess the Jets aren't gonna waste any time spending their newfound Rodgers generated cap riches...

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jul 2023 07:58
The numbers speak for themselves.
Drj820 wrote:
26 Jul 2023 22:50
Pretty obvious that at some point…Rodgers realized he wasn’t going to win a Super Bowl with the losers in GB…so he decided to at least get as rich as possible.

And…now in NY he feels a SB is an option, so he seems to be doing what he can to go all in for that.
So the most wins in the NFL from 2019-2021, two NFC Championship appearances, two #1 seeds, yet the numbers are obvious he was never going to win with the losers in GB.

So yes, I originally viewed that as an attempt at satire, along with the rest of it. Then I realized the author. But to avoid going down that road, I will end this squabble here, really no point in debating with someone's who's viewpoints I put such little stock in. You are now free to get in the last word that I'm sure will have little to do with our original points.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I don't think his unwillingness to take a pay cut is attributable to a pessimistic view of the team's chances. In my mind, you can chalk it up to human nature. At the end of the day, nobody wants to feel like they were taken advantage of. This Packers FO made a few moves that IMO sent a clear message: winning a Super Bowl is our priority, but making sure that AR is our QB when we win that Super Bowl is not our priority.

I don't blame him at all for not taking a pay cut with us.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Rodgers will end the Justin Fields era in Chicago in 2025. Book it. In the process, he will ruin the GB Draft the same way he has ruined The Draft for Packers fans for the past 3 years.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Jets gave up nothing, basically. They had no intention to tag or trade him because it's ride-or-die with Rodgers for them.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:
27 Jul 2023 06:55
Not sure if that is an attempt at humor or sarcasm.

Just so laughably wrong on so many levels if serious.

*edit, not you dragon
Must anything that puts GB in a negative light be humor or sarcasm to you?

I’m saying everything everyone outside of Green Bay sees as obvious.

His top motivation after the Love pick was to get paid (he gave up on winning)

And now his top motivation is to win in NY (so he takes a MASSIVE pay cut).

Nothing humorous about it.
I don't think Rodgers ever gave up winning a SB again as a Packer, but something happened after the 2017 season that caused Murphy to give him another 120 million.

I think your first sentence concerning the SB is what others are rejecting :idn:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
27 Jul 2023 10:21
Rodgers will end the Justin Fields era in Chicago in 2025. Book it. In the process, he will ruin the GB Draft the same way he has ruined The Draft for Packers fans for the past 3 years.
Had to read this a few times. You are suggesting he is going to play for the Bears in 2025?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
27 Jul 2023 10:27
Jets gave up nothing, basically. They had no intention to tag or trade him because it's ride-or-die with Rodgers for them.
the Jets said AR we want to bring in a offensive skill position player, and Rodgers responded by taking a pay cut to give the team the money to do so, maybe we should have done that.

so funny to hear you and others come in complaining because he didn't do that for us, yet neglect to even contemplate WHY.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jul 2023 10:45
Labrev wrote:
27 Jul 2023 10:27
so funny to hear you and others come in complaining because he didn't do that for us, yet neglect to even contemplate WHY.
It's not a complaint, just saying Jets didn't need to give up anything of value in return for the cap relief.

That said, our fans would have every right to complain about it. As to contemplating WHY yeah I'm sure there are a million (lame) excuses that I don't care about. Besides, -you- always denied that cap space matters to getting the needed talent to win, so as far as you're concerned he's not doing them any favor at all.
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
27 Jul 2023 10:40
NCF wrote:
Had to read this a few times. You are suggesting he is going to play for the Bears in 2025?
That is what I am suggesting.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
27 Jul 2023 11:03
BF004 wrote:
27 Jul 2023 10:40
NCF wrote:
That is what I am suggesting.
well that is quite a suggestion :rotf: Bert did everything to play for the Nordski's to inject despair on the Packer Brass and by extension the fans, but Rodgers owns the Bears, and the NFL hasn't had a player/owner that even I can remember :lol:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jul 2023 10:28
Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:
27 Jul 2023 06:55
Not sure if that is an attempt at humor or sarcasm.

Just so laughably wrong on so many levels if serious.

*edit, not you dragon

I don't think Rodgers ever gave up winning a SB again as a Packer, but something happened after the 2017 season that caused Murphy to give him another 120 million.

I think your first sentence concerning the SB is what others are rejecting :idn:
Ya I just think after we drafted Love, his top motivation was to make Gute pay and squeeze for every dime he could and to make him uncomfortable. If he won while doing that, then that would be great. But his top priority was to get paid.

Seems like now his priority’s have changed. Seems he wants to win. Probably to prove it was always GB holding him back, and not him. But he seems to want to win so bad he is willing to take a 35m paycut, which is one of the largest pay cuts I’ve ever seen a player take.

Some just can’t see reality because it might mean they have to admit 12 gave up on thinking the org would use the money he saved them wisely if he took a pay cut. He thought they would squander the savings.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jul 2023 13:30
Yoop wrote:
27 Jul 2023 10:28
Drj820 wrote:

Ya I just think after we drafted Love, his top motivation was to make Gute pay and squeeze for every dime he could and to make him uncomfortable. If he won while doing that, then that would be great. But his top priority was to get paid.

Seems like now his priority’s have changed. Seems he wants to win. Probably to prove it was always GB holding him back, and not him. But he seems to want to win so bad he is willing to take a 35m paycut, which is one of the largest pay cuts I’ve ever seen a player take.

Some just can’t see reality because it might mean they have to admit 12 gave up on thinking the org would use the money he saved them wisely if he took a pay cut. He thought they would squander the savings.
ehhhhhhh???????

for one I very much doubt Rodgers ever put money in front of winning, or even that Guty drafting Love was a breaking point.

his issues started 3 years before Guty drafted Love, after the 2017 season where McCarthy's iso vert routes met 2 high safety coverage almost exclusively, and we hardly ran the pig, we kept McCarthy and brought in 3 BB type receivers who couldn't bend over to tie there shoe laces, both he and McCarthy needed walk on talent, instead he got groomers.

In 2017 Rodgers said several times to the media that the team needed to make changes, and we needed to run more, nothing changed, we got the same ol vert routes with only one accomplished receiver to make that stuff work, and 15 total rushes a game, the worst ST's in the league and a inconsistent defense that labored near the bottom stopping the run.

whats changed? for Rodgers, he's now with a team that wants to bring in skill position players versus spending every resource on defense.

for us, Guty is finally using resources to help his QB instead of treating him like a after thought, thats how I see this stuff anyway :idn:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The thing about the pay cut is that it was always likely?

I said it over and over and over again during the "trade value" conversations that Rodgers' contract has no bearing on the required trade value because the contract will be between him and the Jets. The Packers play no part in that process. Almost every trade results in some sort of restructure. Rodgers' 3-year deal with the Packers was always a weird, ill-advised overpay with a devastating structure. It was never meant to do anything but placate him and be the basis for future talks.

When it first came out, I thought it meant he'd retire with the Packers or at least play 2 more years. Once the details started coming out, it became clear that it was just a placeholder to get him ore money up front at the time of signing. Then the renegotiation to reduce the 2022 cap made it an albatross.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

But the commentary that he wanted money and fame before, and now he wants to win does ring true. That's for sure the case; it's his vengeful shoulder chip thing--always been around, but totally waned over time as he stopped having something he felt he needed to "prove." But it never fully goes away; it's how he motivates himself. He very clearly valued other things in his final few years with the Packers than winning. He seemed to value being right and being cowtowed to. But also seemed to value his physical location and off-field hobbies and quality of life.

Now, the twist of that opinion trying to explain that his attitude is about the Packers and not about him is contentious and I disagree. Rodgers is a selfish narcissist with a victim mentality. There is no way to "treat him right." He will always find fault given enough time, and he will always think he can do it better than whoever is doing something. His attitude has nothing to do with the WRs or video games or whether he thought the Packers' roster was good. It was about finding something he thought he could do better and punishing those who did it differently.