Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Interesting to watch the Cowboys tonight. I actually think they are going to be very good this year. I view them as a threat.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Sep 2020 19:04
Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Sep 2020 18:48
lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Sep 2020 18:44

2nd year QB. 7th pick overall who’s an athletic freak added to an already talented defense. Stole Deandre Hopkins for peanuts. The Cardinals are not going to be at the bottom of the league this year.
Absolutely. They stole Hopkins for peanuts? https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/av ... -receiver/ you sure about that?

The 49ers aren't scary either.
I’m not ready to make any final judgements on them after one week. They whipped us last two times we played them. Plenty scary still to me.
And that's the issue, people are stuck in the past. From year to year no team in the NFC has been as consistently good as the Packers the last 30 years.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 13 Sep 2020 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Sep 2020 19:33
Drj820 wrote:
13 Sep 2020 19:04
Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Sep 2020 18:48

Absolutely. They stole Hopkins for peanuts? https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/av ... -receiver/ you sure about that?

The 49ers aren't scary either.
I’m not ready to make any final judgements on them after one week. They whipped us last two times we played them. Plenty scary still to me.
And that's the issue, people are stuck in the past. From year to year no team in the NFC has been as consistently good as the Packers the last 30 years.
Lol ok
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Are you denying it to be true?

49ers whooped us last year. No denying that either, but this is 2020, not 2019. Our team is as good as any.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Sep 2020 19:43

49ers whooped us last year. No denying that either, but this is 2020, not 2019. Our team is as good as any.
Have a good night, man!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

:lol: :roll:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I wonder how MM is feeling about not calling plays. Clearly it was JJs choice to keep Kellen Moore in that position. I think if MM had it his way I would assume he’d run his own plays.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 Sep 2020 18:38
I'm so mad that the 49ers clearly made moves to make their team better in the offseason while we were just content being second best. :lol:
I still didn't like taking a clip board holder, and we could have used a 2nd year 2 gaping DT today over Gary, it's actually alright to have a opinion about these things, it's not always good to agree with everything the F O does :nono:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

McCarthy loses his opener. Bunch of media darlings falling today.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Sep 2020 22:21
The stupidity of running the ball on 3rd and 6 in the red zone and then going for it on 4th and 3 being down 3 points was inexcusable. The defense played well. The Cowboys could have tied the game there and had an opportunity to clutch it later. Running on 3rd and 6 was stupid as all hell with the WRs they have but then you pass on 4th and 3 around what would have been an easy FG. MM must have been hitting the crack pipe on his time off.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Sep 2020 02:07
Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Sep 2020 22:21
The stupidity of running the ball on 3rd and 6 in the red zone and then going for it on 4th and 3 being down 3 points was inexcusable. The defense played well. The Cowboys could have tied the game there and had an opportunity to clutch it later. Running on 3rd and 6 was stupid as all hell with the WRs they have but then you pass on 4th and 3 around what would have been an easy FG. MM must have been hitting the crack pipe on his time off.
you just mention that McCarthy isn't calling the plays, then blame him for the plays called, which is it?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
13 Sep 2020 21:16
go pak go wrote:
I'm so mad that the 49ers clearly made moves to make their team better in the offseason while we were just content being second best. :lol:
I still didn't like taking a clip board holder, and we could have used a 2nd year 2 gaping DT today over Gary, it's actually alright to have a opinion about these things, it's not always good to agree with everything the F O does :nono:
Yeah the SF comment was more about this past draft. And to be fair, last year your obsession over that 12 pick was primarily for Noah Fant after the fact. :)

But I too looooooved me some Dexter Lawrence and would love to have him on the team.

But I will concede about Gary and yesterday. I was expecting a lot more from him against that Oline. Still a lot of career ahead him though. :)
Last edited by go pak go on 14 Sep 2020 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
14 Sep 2020 06:41
But I will concede about Gary and yesterday. I was expecting a lot more from him against that Oline.
That is never going to be a good match-up for the 3 EDGE guys against a run heavy team. With Detroit coming to town this week, though, I would expect those three to have a lot more opportunities.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
14 Sep 2020 06:43
go pak go wrote:
But I will concede about Gary and yesterday. I was expecting a lot more from him against that Oline.
That is never going to be a good match-up for the 3 EDGE guys against a run heavy team. With Detroit coming to town this week, though, I would expect those three to have a lot more opportunities.
I wasn't even expecting sacks. He did have a couple nice pressures. But I honestly was just hoping he would step in and stop the run.

I want to watch the game again too because they had to obviously essentially only passed the ball in Q4. I remember on the drive where they Thielen deep early in the 4th Z and Gary almost sacked Cousins on 2nd down which likely would have ended that drive.

But goodness I just can't understand how you let any team put 24 points in one quarter when you dominate the game all day. You would expect at least one negative play from your pass rushers that we have to get them behind the sticks.
Yoop wrote:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Sep 2020 19:43

We got out coached twice. The actual team disparity wasn't that much if any but a new HC going against his mentor seemingly came without a gameplan both times. He got schooled. A year to learn the lessons makes a difference. I'd say yesterday gives me a ton of hope that our reinvented Godgers with a deceoptive O can evolve into monster.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Cdragon wrote:
14 Sep 2020 09:51
We got out coached twice. The actual team disparity wasn't that much if any but a new HC going against his mentor seemingly came without a gameplan both times. He got schooled. A year to learn the lessons makes a difference. I'd say yesterday gives me a ton of hope that our reinvented Godgers with a deceoptive O can evolve into monster.
Yeah, I know it's talked about, but it's more talked about socially. I think tactically, the relationships between MLF and the SF coaches isn't given as much weight as its due. Especially the DC being probably the guy who knows him best--who worked with him when he was conceiving his theories and concepts as a grad student. These are veteran coaches who know MLF better than anyone in the world, and yes.. they got the better of him. I hope that mitigates with time, but I can't guarantee that it will. These are guys who know MLF's system exactly and his thinking very well and have very good ideas as to how to defeat it on both sides of the ball.

I fear the 49ers. I will continue to fear the 49ers. I'm not ashamed of fearing the 49ers, nor do I see my fear as any sort of failure by the front office or team talent. It's a bad matchup for us on the field and in the coaching booth. And it's the sort of thing that can develop into a fun and frustrating rivalry over time or that can act as a block to our success or anywhere in between. They could be our early 1990s Cowboys or they could be what we were to the late 1990s 49ers. Or it could swing the other way.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Sep 2020 10:07
Cdragon wrote:
14 Sep 2020 09:51
Yeah, I know it's talked about, but it's more talked about socially. I think tactically, the relationships between MLF and the SF coaches isn't given as much weight as its due. Especially the DC being probably the guy who knows him best--who worked with him when he was conceiving his theories and concepts as a grad student. These are veteran coaches who know MLF better than anyone in the world, and yes.. they got the better of him. I hope that mitigates with time, but I can't guarantee that it will. These are guys who know MLF's system exactly and his thinking very well and have very good ideas as to how to defeat it on both sides of the ball.

I fear the 49ers. I will continue to fear the 49ers. I'm not ashamed of fearing the 49ers, nor do I see my fear as any sort of failure by the front office or team talent. It's a bad matchup for us on the field and in the coaching booth. And it's the sort of thing that can develop into a fun and frustrating rivalry over time or that can act as a block to our success or anywhere in between. They could be our early 1990s Cowboys or they could be what we were to the late 1990s 49ers. Or it could swing the other way.
Agreed. It’s not saying we aren’t a consistent franchise. It’s not saying we don’t have a top tier team. It’s saying their coaching staff knows ours very well, their strengths exploit our weaknesses, and we’ve shown no signs we can beat them last few tries.

It’s just a respect for them, or a fear if you want to put it that way. I can 100% admit I would prefer someone knock them out of the playoffs before we have to play them.

Doesn’t mean I don’t think we can be a top tier nfc team. It’s the matchup, recent history, and what they can do with their front 7.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I know MM wasn’t calling the plays...but in the end, the way they lost that game...and some of the coaching decisions late...seemed like the same ole McCarthy to me.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Yeah the SF comment was more about this past draft. And to be fair, last year your obsession over that 12 pick was primarily for Noah Fant after the fact. :)

But I too looooooved me some Dexter Lawrence and would love to have him on the team.

But I will concede about Gary and yesterday. I was expecting a lot more from him against that Oline. Still a lot of career ahead him though. :)
I expected more from Gary, thing is it doesn't matter how long your arms are, or even the foot work, if you loose the arm and hand battle and can't disengage then everything becomes harder, stopping the run requires the ability to reach out and get a hand on the RB, impossible if your arm wrestling the OL, but sure I think he'll improve.

Fant only because Rodgers has needed a better receiving TE, but Lawrence would have been the best choice hind sight being 20/20.

I just hate picking DL man, even the highly rated ones bust at near 50% or never play up to slot selected, imho DT is the second highest bust rate position after QB, and it's why they have such a high pay scale, imo it's easier to replace a great LT then it is a DT

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Sep 2020 10:42
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I expected more from Gary, thing is it doesn't matter how long your arms are, or even the foot work, if you loose the arm and hand battle and can't disengage then everything becomes harder, stopping the run requires the ability to reach out and get a hand on the RB, impossible if your arm wrestling the OL, but sure I think he'll improve.

Fant only because Rodgers has needed a better receiving TE, but Lawrence would have been the best choice hind sight being 20/20.

I just hate picking DL man, even the highly rated ones bust at near 50% or never play up to slot selected, imho DT is the second highest bust rate position after QB, and it's why they have such a high pay scale, imo it's easier to replace a great LT then it is a DT
Gary did provide the pressure that turned into the Jaire INT, and also collapsed the side on the safety that "Ja" got. Sure, Gary (and Preston) need to get individual success as well. And to be honest, I was so exited to watch a game, I didn't think to concentrate on how they did vs the run.