Packers @ 49ers GDT 9/26/21 7:20pm CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Late enough?! Look where Jaire is when the ball is released?!
image.png
image.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 290 times
He doesn't even get half a step in before he makes contact with Garoppolo.

Now here is where contact was made:
image.png
image.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 290 times
Then the contact:
image.png
image.png (1.77 MiB) Viewed 284 times
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 27 Sep 2021 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
27 Sep 2021 09:00
Late enough?

He literally started his leap while Jimmy still has the ball in his hands. :roll:

The rules are set up so much to allow the QB to make a play. Because Jimmy could still pump fake it, spin out, etc. I just hate how these rules of the game have made it so hard on defenses.
This is definitely proof as to why the NFL just needs to suck it up and admit that they need the majority of these decisions reviewed by the booth upstairs. They won't get it right all the time, but they could have easily stepped in and buzzed the refs and told them it wasn't a penalty.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Exactly, these huge penalties like roughing the passer and helmet to helmet need to be reviewable.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Week 3's iteration of Sunday Night Football had all the makings of a blowout Green Bay Packers victory, but the San Francisco 49ers overcame a 17-point deficit to take the lead for the first time with 43 seconds to play.

In the end, even that was too much time for Aaron Rodgers, as he led the Packers down the field just in time for Mason Crosby to nail a 51-yard field goal for a 30-28 win.

GREEN BAY PACKERS
Quarterback
Decisive, efficient and clutch are all perfect words to describe Rodgers' Sunday night performance in San Francisco.

The 2020 MVP finished with an average time to throw of 2.05 seconds, the quickest single-game figure he has ever recorded since PFF started recording the data point.

Aaron Rodgers Quickest Avg. Time-to-Throw in a Game Since 2011

Game Avg. Time-to-Throw
2021 Week 3 at SF 2.05 seconds
2013 Week 2 vs. WFT 2.11
2020 Week 1 at MIN 2.25
2011 Week 12 at DET 2.27
2017 Week 4 vs. CHI 2.29
Rodgers also completed eight of the 15 pass attempts that traveled 10-plus yards downfield for 191 yards and a score, with four of those eight completions coming on third down.

Rodgers finished the night with five big-time throws in a performance reminiscent of last season's MVP-winning campaign.

Running Back
Green Bay’s rushing attack wasn’t much of a help in this huge road win, but at least it got better production on the ground than it did in Week 1 and 2.

The Packers tallied zero explosive runs of 10-plus yards over the first two weeks of the season but had three from Aaron Jones this week.

Wide Receiver/Tight End
Rodgers teamed up with his top weapon, Davante Adams, for most of the game. The star wideout was targeted on 56.3% of his routes against the Niners on Sunday night, the highest rate of his career by 12.5 percentage points.

Davante Adams: Highest single-game target rates over his career

Game Target Rate
2021 Week 3 at SF 56.3%
2020 Week 9 at SF 43.8%
2020 Week 16 vs. TEN 41.4%
2020 Week 7 at HOU 41.2%
2019 Week 15 vs. CHI 39.4%
Rodgers teamed up with Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Allen Lazard for one deep completion, but Adams consistently moved the chains.

Offensive Line
Rodgers’ quick release helped the Packers’ offensive line, but that’s not to say there wasn’t room for error.

Yosh Nijman was left to protect Rodgers’ blindside with star left tackle David Bakhtiari and Elgton Jenkins out with injuries. Nijman, a 2019 undrafted free agent, entered the game with only one career pass-block rep to his name. And to no surprise, he felt the wrath of Nick Bosa. On first review of the game film, Nijman earned the second-worst single-game PFF grade by a Packers left tackle in the last five years.

Defensive Line
Interior defensive lineman Kenny Clark and edge defender Rashan Gary were the only Packers pass-rushers to find any success. Of the six Green Bay defensive linemen to log 10 pass-rush snaps, Clark and Gary were the only ones to eclipse a 10%-plus pass-rush win rate. And Gary's case, most of his production was gifted to him in some way, as four of his five pressures were cleanups.

Linebacker
De’Vondre Campbell was heavily involved in coverage, with seven targets on 42 such snaps, but he made very few errors. He allowed only 23 yards on those seven targets while forcing two passing stops.

Ty Summers was in the same boat on a much smaller sample. He was targeted six times on 12 coverage snaps, but unlike Campbell, he made several mistakes. All six were caught for 40 yards, and Campbell missed two tackles after the catch.

Secondary
Jaire Alexander had one of the top highlights of the night with his interception, and he also forced an incompletion and a passing stop en route to an elite-graded performance upon first review.

Rookie Eric Stokes, on the other hand, did not enjoy the same amount of success. He made no plays on the ball while giving up an explosive reception of 15-plus yards and committing two third-down defensive pass interference penalties.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
Quarterback
Just because the Niners were seconds away from pulling off the comeback win doesn’t mean quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo played well.

He recorded zero big-time throws for the third straight week and committed three turnover-worthy plays, but only one of those turnover-worthy plays gave the ball back to Green Bay.

Running Back
Fortunately, rookie Trey Sermon was able to make a swift recovery from injury and started the game for San Francisco. However, his workload fell below expectations on Sunday night.

49ers Backfield Usage

Trey Sermon Kyle Juszcyk
58.6% % of Snaps Played 68.6%
10 Carries 5
22 (3) Routes (w/ Tgts) 30 (4)
Sermon dropped one of his three targets and turned only two of his 10 carries into a gain of five or more yards.

Wide Receiver/Tight End
George Kittle was much more featured in the San Francisco offense this week, and Tight End Unversity’s own made the most of every opportunity he got.

49ers Receiving Distribution

Routes Targets Yds Per Route Run
TE George Kittle 35 9 2.63
WR Deebo Samuel 42 10 1.24
WR Brandon Aiyuk 39 6 0.95
Kittle’s after-the-catch prowess shined all night long. He broke four tackles and averaged 8.6 yards after the catch on his seven receptions.

Offensive Line
Left tackle Trent Williams was as dominant as ever, and his work in the running game was highlighted with a big-time block on Packers corner Eric Stokes during Trey Lance’s touchdown run. Williams surpassed an 80.0 PFF grade in the first two weeks of 2021, which is likely to continue through Week 3 upon final review.

Defensive Line
Star edge defender Nick Bosa did about all he could in this one, given Rodgers’ quick time to throw. He still managed to come through with six wins against the Packers, which accounted for nearly half of the team’s total combined pass-rush wins on the night.

Linebacker
Fred Warner was a disruptor against the run, notching a couple of run stops and generating a few other positively graded plays. Things weren't as sound in coverage, however, as he gave up a 25-yard completion in crunch time late in the fourth quarter and also committed a defensive pass interference on a third down.

Secondary
San Francisco’s corner depth is an area of concern, and it got tested in the second half of play. Starting outside corner Josh Norman was knocked out of the game with an injury, causing rookie Deommodore Lenoir to take over his spot. Not too long after, the first-year corner got caught out of position in zone on a pivotal fourth-quarter third-down play that ended up in a Packers touchdown to extend their lead to two scores. Lenoir gave up two other first downs on the day.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah sorry, watching it over and over and over again there is nothing there.

It isn't late. There is no strike to the helmet. He hits the shoulder pads and maybe the neck a little as it wraps around. There is NOTHING there. All this "yeah we don't have to like it but they'll call it" stuff doesn't apply. This was bad. It wasn't "Nick Perry straight to Luck's chest" bad. But it's not much less. We've seen a lot of calls when an arm comes down gently on a helmet, but yeah, this doesn't even do that.

That is a penalty flag thrown because maybe something might happen, not because it happened. They saw him leave his feet and grabbed the flag. It isn't late. It isn't to the head. It's a terrible call. Not a "bad" call; not a "questionable" call; not a "ticky tack" call; a TERRIBLE call. I'm not equivocating on that.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
27 Sep 2021 09:04
go pak go wrote:
27 Sep 2021 09:00
Late enough?

He literally started his leap while Jimmy still has the ball in his hands. :roll:

The rules are set up so much to allow the QB to make a play. Because Jimmy could still pump fake it, spin out, etc. I just hate how these rules of the game have made it so hard on defenses.
This is definitely proof as to why the NFL just needs to suck it up and admit that they need the majority of these decisions reviewed by the booth upstairs. They won't get it right all the time, but they could have easily stepped in and buzzed the refs and told them it wasn't a penalty.
like I said, let the over head call everything, not only will it speed up the game, but the calls will be much more accurate, when the refs control scoring obviously the system is broken.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The 9ers had 8 plays inside the 10 yardline before half.

Stokes got called on a DPI that is not called a lot. Garapollo spikes the ball when getting sacked and doesn't get called for grounding.

8 plays. That was impressive.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Wow, the excitement from the announcers just overwhelms me...

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
27 Sep 2021 09:19
The 9ers had 8 plays inside the 10 yardline before half.

Stokes got called on a DPI that is not called a lot. Garapollo spikes the ball when getting sacked and doesn't get called for grounding.

8 plays. That was impressive.
Yep, that's why that particular call got me so upset. The Defense played a heck of a half and shut the 49ers out, and then the BS refs gave a free 7 points away. Completely changed the momentum going into halftime.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Sep 2021 23:51
SAVAGE :rotf:

:rotfl:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Sep 2021 09:20

Wow, the excitement from the announcers just overwhelms me...
Collinsworth literally showed more excitement when Adams dropped the ball on the zone sit pass on 3rd and 1 in the 3rd quarter after seeing the 9ers DC give a fist bump like the 9ers made a great play. :roll:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Sep 2021 07:25
go pak go wrote:
27 Sep 2021 06:54
I really struggled.

I really pride myself on being a centrist. Being one to stand back, view the information and see it without bias. From my perspective, the Packers got absolutely hosed last night from ref calls that really led to 14 points for the 49ers and a huge momentum swing to keep them in the game. On top of that you have various other roughing calls, tripping calls, the lost challenge that wasn't a catch etc.

There is really only one call I could remember that went our way that I wouldn't have thrown (the Davante Adams DPI call) but I am okay with it because Adams was Interfered just two plays earlier at the same spot in the field with no call.

And yet everyone who isn't a Packers fan I have talked to doesn't think the game was unfair at all. It is pissing me off honestly. Are fans just that dumb and completely believing what Chris Collinsworth and the "protect the shield cronies" said?

Like then I got responses back, "well the Vikings should have won week 1 on a poor fumble call" and I was like I KNOW. I TOLD YOU AT THE TIME I SAID THAT WAS NOT A FUMBLE. I agree that MN really should be 3-0 right now.

I just don't understand why sports fans are so willing to accept or not have caveats on things.

Or am I actually not centrist and completely viewed last night's game with Green colored glassess...
I honestly thought the refs were just awful in general. They affected the game way tooo much by what they did call, then missed the helmet to helmet call. I felt the PI call Lazard got in his favor early was weak, i felt the holding call they got after our hands to the face call was weak...I did feel they got all their favorable calls in the second half and late. That PI call against Stokes was a total joke. So ya, by the end the refs probably worked against us more..but overall i just thought they sucked for both sides in general. Late in the little jimmy threw a lateral to Deebo that went over his head and out of bounds, quickly called an incomplete pass. Im going to watch the replay on that today because Im pretty sure that was a lateral. Also, the call Lafleur challenge was certainly bobbled by the ground. Refs were awful through and through. So was Collinsworth.
Those refs were bad. There was one DPI call on them that was pretty weak too. smh

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pretty much the only penalty I have seen thus far that we got helped on pretty good was the DPI on Lazard in the 1st quarter that ended up in no points anyways after watching through 3 quarters.

The 9ers through 3 quarters only had 4 penalties called on them.

DPI on Lazard
DPI on Adams
DPI on Tonyan (incredibly blatant)
False start on 4th and 1 on a punt at midfield.

They missed a DPI on Adams on two plays earlier when they called it on Adams.
Last edited by go pak go on 27 Sep 2021 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Acrobat wrote:
27 Sep 2021 08:18
Yoop wrote:
27 Sep 2021 08:04
the NFL should just go to electronic officiating, the refs are ruining this game, when the refs so obviously try and control the outcome as they appear to be doing the game resembles pro wrestling, the Packer games is mostly all I watch now the officials look bought and paid for
Agreed in a way where the refs can still do their thing, but Big Brother upstairs needs to be more active. When Jimmy G was guilty of intentional grounding before that half, there should have been a buzz in from upstairs to day "hold on, we need to look at this further". Half should have been over and GB would have gone into the half up 17-0.
Huh? I thought this only happens in the NCAA.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
27 Sep 2021 08:23
49ers website are complaining hard core they got jipped by the refs. :roll:

Their grip is basically the Lazard PI (no points came off it), the Adams PI and a hold that John Runyan had on the final drive.
When both sides, the winners and the losers, are complaining about the officiating you know that crew blows.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think my favorite play of the night was 3rd and 4 at the 12. Pass to MVS in the corner of the endzone. That was truly the "underappreciated guys" stepping up

Protection was great. Rodgers pass was amazing and MVS showed great body control to make an athletic catch.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
27 Sep 2021 10:02
go pak go wrote:
27 Sep 2021 08:23
49ers website are complaining hard core they got jipped by the refs. :roll:

Their grip is basically the Lazard PI (no points came off it), the Adams PI and a hold that John Runyan had on the final drive.
When both sides, the winners and the losers, are complaining about the officiating you know that crew blows.
But the losers are really grasping at straws on their complaints.

They are basically saying "it wasn't a fumble" (when it was), that one DPI (when we 3 called on us) and then a missed holding call.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I believe this is only the 8th time since 2001 that a team has led a game winning drive with less than 40 second on the clock.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

the refs were horrible and too much of a story for the game, we still won. Im more focused on the winning the game part this morning. happy.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pretty damn good play here