Round 1 (26) - Jordan Love, QB Utah State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Sorry Sal, but this one has zero sense behind it. If we could feasibly trade Rodgers, it would, but we can't.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

salmar80 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:25
Did we acquire Favre or Rodgers in moves that made sense at the time.

:censored: no.

We traded the 19th overall pick for a drunk of a second rounder who did nothing in his rookie season, except throw half of his 4 throws to the other team.

We picked a guy with the 24th pick with zero need at QB. Destined to be another Jeff Tedford -coached failure.

Us trading up and picking Love makes no sense to me, but neither did acquiring Favre and Rodgers.
Favre, maybe. Rodgers, definitely made more and more sense to me as he fell from literally the top of the draft. You weren't wanting a QB going into that draft until he was smack dab right in front of you. Love wasn't in front of anyone but Gute.

Dude was at least 10 rows back.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
23 Apr 2020 22:46
TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 22:40
paco wrote:
23 Apr 2020 22:35
Jordan Love is 20. He is going to sit behind Rodgers for a few years and hopefully do exactly what Rodgers did at that 26th spot.
Yeah, but we're talking apples and oranges. It was very evident that we weren't going to get it done with Favre, his playing style, direction of team. Rodgers was essentially s #1 pick that fell. This kid didn't fall, we even traded up.

We were in the NFC championship game last year....again. You go all in and get our biggest needs, which was WR or ILB. You have to throw the chips in. Gute went for future here.
Nah I think in terms of being evident that it's not going to happen, us with Rodgers now are about as far away as we were with Favre around the same time. I don't think it was evident then, and I don't think it's evident now. Both QBs clearly got close late in their careers, and Favre even got closer than Rodgers so far has. Both of them turned into total divas who no longer were playing all that much above average.

Rodgers obviously can turn it around, whereas Favre's story is locked in, but I don't want to kid myself that Rodgers has been anything more than average the last couple of years.
who could have done what Rodgers has with the receivers he's had to work with? your really talking out of your butt here Tex, plus trying to get on the same page with them in a new scheme, once you get past Adams, who he doesn't have any problems feeding him a 100 receptions a season, the rest are very raw, and it's been this way for years now, nothing wrong with Rodgers another decent receiver wouldn't fix.

Love was a idiotic pick, just as Gary was last year, and does zero for our immediate needs, always building for the future is part of the reason we won one SB with Rodgers all these years.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:19
BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:10
Alright, I'm off to bed, everyone behave yourself, keep emotion in check, keep it civil.

#PackerStrong #SalWillBanYou #metoo
It's morning here already.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

this isnt 2011 where only 6 teams have good QBs. We had foles, teddy, Cam, rookies, Rosen, Dalton...that could have been grabbed this year. There is a surplus of QBs now. We didnt need to move up to get none power 5 fella.
Last edited by Drj820 on 23 Apr 2020 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:26
Sorry Sal, but this one has zero sense behind it. If we could feasibly trade Rodgers, it would, but we can't.
We can. Not now, not next year. 2-3 years. This is Brady and Garropolo. Its not a decision for now, but eventually, a decision will have to be made.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

No matter what you think of the pick, this is Gute's legacy right here in my opinion. Ted did it when Rodgers fell to him. With Rodgers on the backend of his career, the roster missing a few core pieces, NFC championship game the previous year... this pick defines what comes after.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:31
this isnt 2011 where only 6 teams have good QBs. We had foles, teddy, Cam, rookies, Rosen, Dalton...that could have been grabbed this year. There is a surplus of QBs now. We didnt need to move up to get none power 5 fella.
No, no, no, no. There is definitely NOT a surplus of QB's. These guys are available for a reason. They are not or no longer franchise QB's.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
We can. Not now, not next year. 2-3 years. This is Brady and Garropolo. Its not a decision for now, but eventually, a decision will have to be made.
Well we have far more holes to fill than the Pats did in that era. Sorry to say, and Jimmy G was drafted at the end of the 2nd. Can we please start comparing apples to apples.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

I’m personally not crazy about the pick. Madcity the armchair GM trades up and takes Queen there. But...

If the GB scouting trust thinks Love is the man, I’m fine with the pick. If you like a guy that much at that position, you gotta go get him. We have a legend at the position, but he’s 37.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:33
NCF wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Well we have far more holes to fill than the Pats did in that era. Sorry to say, and Jimmy G was drafted at the end of the 2nd. Can we please start comparing apples to apples.
The situation is apples to apples. The decision has already been made.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Garorpolo was drafted with the 62nd overall pick and not traded up for! Rodgers was the 2nd QB taken in the 2005 draft. We can not trade Aaron Rodgers in the next 2 year. This is a 3 year pick that pays zero dividends in the next 2. This is an inexcusable mistake.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 23 Apr 2020 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
No, no, no, no. There is definitely NOT a surplus of QB's. These guys are available for a reason. They are not or no longer franchise QB's.
I think if you use your money to build an offense like the Cowboys, Chiefs, Niners etc...any of those guys could be adequate. You only need to pay 35m per year when the rest of your team sucks.

Bottom line is, we must be looking at 4 years from now instead of now. I would like to start looking at now for once.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

texas wrote:
23 Apr 2020 22:42
I like the pick. Needed an ILB more, clearly, but Rodgers hasn't been good and if we want to win, he needs to play better than he has, especially in the playoffs against tough defenses.

This either lights a fire under him (which is needed), or it doesn't and then we move on. Time to &%$@ or get off the pot.
This! Good comment, Texas!

Aaron hasn’t been as focused in recent years as he was in the past. We would maybe say that’s because he doesn’t have enough WR talent. But that’s not all. We needed Aaron to be super-motivated as much (or more) than just giving him more weapons.

I like the pick. And we’ll forget how much we’re griping in a couple more years; maybe less if Aaron gets hurt. Unless Love turns out to be another Kizer.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Let's have a moment of silence for the soon-to-be-departed Tim Boyle Laser Show...
Last edited by Crazylegs Starks on 23 Apr 2020 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:35
Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:

Not even close to apples to apples.... The only similarities are that a team drafted a QB in the first round with a Pro Bowl QB already on the roster and their ages are close. ONLY similarities.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Except Brady has been riding whatever Bill has put together for I don't know how long now. I haven't seen Brady throw a pretty ball in years. It was just time for that organization to find Brady's replacement. Garrop is a 2x Super Bowl champ, where the only weak spot on that roster was the 38 year old QB. They were winning championships and the only logical thing to do at the point was to find Brady's eventual successor.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:

We traded the 19th overall pick for a drunk of a second rounder who did nothing in his rookie season, except throw half of his 4 throws to the other team.

We picked a guy with the 24th pick with zero need at QB. Destined to be another Jeff Tedford -coached failure.

Us trading up and picking Love makes no sense to me, but neither did acquiring Favre and Rodgers.
well Favre would leak to the media every player demand he had and backed it up with threats of retirement every season since Thompson got the job when Sherman was fired, so ya, there is a big difference imo, plus Love is not Aaron Rodgers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:

well Favre would leak to the media every player demand he had and backed it up with threats of retirement every season since Thompson got the job when Sherman was fired, so ya, there is a big difference imo, plus Love is not Aaron Rodgers.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:38
NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:35
Drj820 wrote:

Not even close to apples to apples.... The only similarities are that a team drafted a QB in the first round with a Pro Bowl QB already on the roster and their ages are close. ONLY similarities.
this isnt even that though bc the pats drafted jimmy g in round 2, not 1.