Packers @ 49ers - Week 1 Preseason GDT - 8/12 - 7:30 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Number of Kicks Packers Have Blocked

21%
No votes
14%
No votes
4+
14%
BEARS STILL SUCK
50%

Total votes: 14

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Waldo wrote:
12 Aug 2022 21:12
That last drive was pretty nice, solid throw on the TD.

Love may have 3 ints, but the first 2 were on his receivers. #1 was a tip in the air on a high(ish) but very catchable ball, #2 was ripped out of the WR's arms before he had possession. #3 was a terrible decision on Love on a middle seam shot.

I thought that play that Love had tipped at the line was really slick, he hit the brakes running out, reset and tried to shoot, I bet he gets that off 9 times out of 10, he had a WR out there, and really reset well. Great defensive play there stopped it.
Agree on the first 2. But go back and look at the middle seam to Amari Rodgers. First, Rodgers did not know where the 1st down was so he was 3 yards too deep. Had he been 1 yard beyond the 1st down the defender probably could not have undercut it. Second, Amari let the defender push him out of the way. Had he kept his body between the defender and the ball, he would have either caught it or the defender would have drawn a flag for pass interference. Amari was soft and out of position. People can blame Love for that but no way that ball would have been intercepted had Cobb or Lazard been running that route.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Aug 2022 20:50
Trudge wrote:
12 Aug 2022 20:47
I turned after the first quarter ended. Love has 2 picks now? Geez...
I don't think he was to blame for that one that the defender took it away from Doubs.
Last edited by Pugger on 13 Aug 2022 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Be thankful you didn't have to endure the SF announcers on NFL Network last night. :P

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
13 Aug 2022 04:49
lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Aug 2022 20:54
Omg he can’t even throw a flat pass to RBs. That’s 2 now.
RB turned the wrong way. That was not the place for a back shoulder throw and the receiver should not have turned to his back shoulder. Had the receiver not slowed down and caught the ball in front of him that would have gone for at least 10 yards. Geez, receiver screws up big time and it is Love's fault.
The pass had no touch. Love threw him a rocket. No need for a rocket from a few yards away.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Aug 2022 06:20
TheSkeptic wrote:
13 Aug 2022 04:49
lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Aug 2022 20:54
Omg he can’t even throw a flat pass to RBs. That’s 2 now.
RB turned the wrong way. That was not the place for a back shoulder throw and the receiver should not have turned to his back shoulder. Had the receiver not slowed down and caught the ball in front of him that would have gone for at least 10 yards. Geez, receiver screws up big time and it is Love's fault.
The pass had no touch. Love threw him a rocket. No need for a rocket from a few yards away.
He still turned the wrong way and if he had just not slowed down the pass would have been perfect because he could not physically have turned the wrong way. Another 2 yards of distance and the speed would not have mattered.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
12 Aug 2022 19:39
Love with touch on that pass. Too bad it was like Brandon touching a minor girl.
:aok:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Sorry for the interruption on the Love Stinks focus area, however that wide open Niner TD pass when the defender fell down immediately reminded me of the Kevin King play. These are thoughts I wish I could erase from the memory banks, but they're still there. Bad dreams won't go away sometimes. Same goes for Favre's "last pass as a Packer" interception in the 2007 NFC Championship Game.

GO PACK GO!!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

After reading through this thread, I feel like some here were just waiting for Love to make a mistake so they could pounce.

His play was not perfect, but his improvement was clear and evident. He commanded the offense, he directed formations, he went through his progressions, and he delivered decent catchable balls for the most part. I thought his touch passes needed better accuracy but when he put some zip on it, they were generally good throws.

The two int’s that went off his own players hands were not his fault. You folks nitpicking ball placement are just looking for fault. Those were wholly catchable balls. Had Rodgers thrown them, you wouldn’t dream of blaming him for the picks. The INT over the middle can be blamed on Love but Amari also ran a very poor route and allowed the defender to out-muscle him for position and the ball. Love clearly anticipated Amari being in better position to make the play when he threw it. Was it a risky throw? Sure, but so is every throw over the middle. The QB AND WR have to be in sync or you get what we saw.

The errant passes to the RBs in the flat weren’t good but it’s hard to know whether the throw was off or the RB turned the wrong way or whatever. Clearly the QB and young RBs were not on the same page but we’re talking the first half of the first pre-season game for christ’s sake. &%$@ like that happens.

Anyway, what I saw from Love was an overall positive. Not perfect but clearly moving in the right direction. Looking forward to see what he’s capable of with the starting offense and RBs/WRs who actually know what they’re doing.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
13 Aug 2022 07:36
After reading through this thread, I feel like some here were just waiting for Love to make a mistake so they could pounce.

His play was not perfect, but his improvement was clear and evident. He commanded the offense, he directed formations, he went through his progressions, and he delivered decent catchable balls for the most part. I thought his touch passes needed better accuracy but when he put some zip on it, they were generally good throws.

The two int’s that went off his own players hands were not his fault. You folks nitpicking ball placement are just looking for fault. Those were wholly catchable balls. Had Rodgers thrown them, you wouldn’t dream of blaming him for the picks. The INT over the middle can be blamed on Love but Amari also ran a very poor route and allowed the defender to out-muscle him for position and the ball. Love clearly anticipated Amari being in better position to make the play when he threw it. Was it a risky throw? Sure, but so is every throw over the middle. The QB AND WR have to be in sync or you get what we saw.

The errant passes to the RBs in the flat weren’t good but it’s hard to know whether the throw was off or the RB turned the wrong way or whatever. Clearly the QB and young RBs were not on the same page but we’re talking the first half of the first pre-season game for christ’s sake. &%$@ like that happens.

Anyway, what I saw from Love was an overall positive. Not perfect but clearly moving in the right direction. Looking forward to see what he’s capable of with the starting offense and RBs/WRs who actually know what they’re doing.
Agree. It's only the first pre-season game. I'm just enjoying watching Winfree, Doubs and Davis. Then there's Slayton and Slaton. Oh ......... and #44 Summers is still out there. Kicking seems concerning / unsettling ....... preseason or not.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I don't think Rodgers would have thrown to Amari, and throwing bullet passes for 5 yrds have to be on target, sure Davis gets the blame, he touched the ball, but that would have been a tough catch for anyone.

the TD pass to the other Davis was way off target, great adjustment and over pursuit from the DB allowed that TD.

sure this is the best Love has performed, and he may be better next week, but he is still a ways off from even being a average QB, if he's our starter at some point this season, it'll be a tough game to win.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
13 Aug 2022 07:48
I don't think Rodgers would have thrown to Amari, and throwing bullet passes for 5 yrds have to be on target, sure Davis gets the blame, he touched the ball, but that would have been a tough catch for anyone.

the TD pass to the other Davis was way off target, great adjustment and over pursuit from the DB allowed that TD.

sure this is the best Love has performed, and he may be better next week, but he is still a ways off from even being a average QB, if he's our starter at some point this season, it'll be a tough game to win.
Oh no ......... visions of Brent Hundley starting to creep in. Creepy Creepy Creepy. Somehow we did survive the Randy Wright years though.

At least we seemingly now have a defense. Most impactful thing Aaron Rodgers ever said as a Packer I think was "WE HAVE A DEFENSE". :aok:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Loves delivery is strange. It’s like he can throw the ball 80 yards with just a flick of the wrist, but it never looks fully natural. A flick and it’s like a floater that will travel forever, and some force and it’s like a missile. No real in between. You need that in between on a ton of passes, such as the one to the flats that’s been discussed.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:

Agree with this, except yhe back shoulder pass to Davis was intentional. Love said so in the presser (though he said it was still a little off target).

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Aug 2022 09:40
Loves delivery is strange. It’s like he can throw the ball 80 yards with just a flick of the wrist, but it never looks fully natural. A flick and it’s like a floater that will travel forever, and some force and it’s like a missile. No real in between. You need that in between on a ton of passes, such as the one to the flats that’s been discussed.
He seems to carry the ball high, like AR did coming out of Cal

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
13 Aug 2022 10:40
Yoop wrote:

Agree with this, except yhe back shoulder pass to Davis was intentional. Love said so in the presser (though he said it was still a little off target).
that is not where you throw a 30 plus yrd back shoulder throw, come on, you saw where the defender was and the safety, either could have picked that off, Davis saw the ball coming and adjusted to it, great play by Davis, poor pass from Love imo.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

How was the OL against the 49ers' early? I thought the Niners played more starters than we did and a little longer, based on what I'd read, so it should have been a nice first quarter assessment for us.

Everyone else was depth chart stuff.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Aug 2022 12:21
How was the OL against the 49ers' early? I thought the Niners played more starters than we did and a little longer, based on what I'd read, so it should have been a nice first quarter assessment for us.

I thought the line did relatively well. Our interior was probably what starts the season. I thought they did well on early downs but got nothing in terms of push on 3rd and short situations. Overall though I thought the line did well.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Click on it and watch it all. The rest are here: https://twitter.com/Peter_Bukowski

I wasn't able to watch the game, but looking through all of these, I see a decent performance by Love.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 13 Aug 2022 13:09, edited 3 times in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Aug 2022 12:21

Honestly better than I expected.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

From what I saw of Love, I thought he looked underwhelming. The good news is that I think we have some very solid offensive pieces that were able to bail him out on several occasions. But even on his "highlight" plays, it was a receiver making a contested catch or catching a tipped ball. He looked slow to make decisions. I expected much more from him. Based on what I've seen from him to this point in his career, his ceiling is below-average NFL starter. The decision to trade up and draft him is looking uglier and uglier.