2022 WR's

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Week 1 WRs on 53

Sammy Watkins
14%
Randall Cobb
14%
Alan Lazard
14%
Christian Watson
9%
Christian Watson (on PUP)
4%
Romeo Doubs
15%
Juwann Winfree
10%
Amari Rodgers
12%
Malik Taylor
No votes
Danny Davis
1%
Ishmael Hyman
1%
Samori Toure
6%

Total votes: 181

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

APB wrote:
13 Aug 2022 08:23
Yoop wrote:
13 Aug 2022 07:59
APB wrote:
13 Aug 2022 07:48

Red zone passes generally have smaller windows. A “touch” pass there would have given the defender time to react and bat it away.

Love threw a very catchable ball that Davis easily got two hands on and he didn’t hold on. That’s on Davis.

Tell me, had Aaron Rodgers thrown that ball, how hard would you be defending Davis this morning?
that would have been a tough catch for anyone, bullet passes for about 5 yards have to be on target, or tipped passes are often the outcome.

and I have defended Love as much as anyone here, but he was not accurate last night, that TD pass to Davis, was way off the mark, I do agree that it's hard to know who to blame for the dumpers to the RB's, but Goodman didn't turn the wrong way on all of em.

just look at the difference in Love to the niners try Lance, if you had a choice who would be your backup QB?
I honestly think you need a refresher on the Davis INT play. It was NOT a tough pass to catch. It’s at the 2:10 mark of the attached video.

A “touch” pass would have been contested. It had zip but was wholly catchable. As I said, had Aaron Rodgers made that throw we would not be having this conversation.

Also, the Danny Davis TD (at the 5:00 mark) was thrown away from the defender where Davis could adjust and make a play. He did. It is farcical you want to relieve Tyler Davis of all fault and then give Danny Davis all the credit just to avoid giving Love any bit of love.
It's very ironic how fast we've gone from "No incompletion is AR's fault, WRs suck" to "Even easy drops are Love's fault, WRs are heroes!". ;)

Overall I was disappointed with Love. He sure has a live arm, but the inconsistency doesn't seem to be going anywhere. That's worrisome.

The Tyler Davis INT was 100% on the TE. It had to be a fast pass to give him a chance at catching it before getting hit. And it went through his hands before contact, classic case of hearing footsteps... As a TE on that route, you know you'll get hit. Gotta secure the catch.

Of the INTs, only the Amari one was all on Love. The WR was never open, the CB had better position, you just can't throw that. It was exactly the kinda pass over the middle AR tends to avoid unless certain the WR is open.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Labrev wrote:
13 Aug 2022 10:30
Amari looks faster but really only went from Slow to Adequate. 'Just nothing about his game that stands out. Guys without any special athletic quality need to make up for it with brains, and Amari doesn't really have that either.

He's a returner and a gadget guy, he's not a receiver. I wasn't overly impressed by the TD. Nice play by him, glad he made it than not, but any WR on this roster could make that play. He has to shake one guy and then had open field to the red zone with a dive.

If he was not a third-round pick, I don't think there would be much dispute that the guy is more of a PS candidate than a Top 53 player.
Agree. He's a bit faster than last year, but not enough to say "wow, that's quick".

He kinda has that short firehydrant RB -kinda body, sorta reminds me of DuJuan Harris :D

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I also must say Tyler Davis didn't look worth a roster spot yesterday. That INT was 99% him. I think he had another bad receiving play. He was also pretty wretched at blocking.

With how tight the cut downs are going to be, he's got to play a lot better than that.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

So we're not gonna talk about that wild Winfree tip drill reception? :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
13 Aug 2022 12:09
I also must say Tyler Davis didn't look worth a roster spot yesterday. That INT was 99% him. I think he had another bad receiving play. He was also pretty wretched at blocking.

With how tight the cut downs are going to be, he's got to play a lot better than that.
I think he had another touch on a high pass on the left side, that wasn't his fault, whoever it was, it was the one I confused with the one everyones talking about.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Aug 2022 12:18
some already have, Winfree saved Love on that play, went 3 for 3 =27 yrds,

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Aug 2022 12:18
That was Love's second-worst throw, and a really good job by Winfree.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
13 Aug 2022 10:54
APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:
13 Aug 2022 07:59

that would have been a tough catch for anyone, bullet passes for about 5 yards have to be on target, or tipped passes are often the outcome.

and I have defended Love as much as anyone here, but he was not accurate last night, that TD pass to Davis, was way off the mark, I do agree that it's hard to know who to blame for the dumpers to the RB's, but Goodman didn't turn the wrong way on all of em.

just look at the difference in Love to the niners try Lance, if you had a choice who would be your backup QB?
I honestly think you need a refresher on the Davis INT play. It was NOT a tough pass to catch. It’s at the 2:10 mark of the attached video.

A “touch” pass would have been contested. It had zip but was wholly catchable. As I said, had Aaron Rodgers made that throw we would not be having this conversation.

Also, the Danny Davis TD (at the 5:00 mark) was thrown away from the defender where Davis could adjust and make a play. He did. It is farcical you want to relieve Tyler Davis of all fault and then give Danny Davis all the credit just to avoid giving Love any bit of love.
It's very ironic how fast we've gone from "No incompletion is AR's fault, WRs suck" to "Even easy drops are Love's fault, WRs are heroes!". ;)

Overall I was disappointed with Love. He sure has a live arm, but the inconsistency doesn't seem to be going anywhere. That's worrisome.

The Tyler Davis INT was 100% on the TE. It had to be a fast pass to give him a chance at catching it before getting hit. And it went through his hands before contact, classic case of hearing footsteps... As a TE on that route, you know you'll get hit. Gotta secure the catch.

Of the INTs, only the Amari one was all on Love. The WR was never open, the CB had better position, you just can't throw that. It was exactly the kinda pass over the middle AR tends to avoid unless certain the WR is open.
the best thing about all this imo is that you didn't get to blame Rodgers for the loss,

one breath you defend Love, the next your disappointed.

obviously there was plenty of blame to go around

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
13 Aug 2022 12:28
salmar80 wrote:
13 Aug 2022 10:54
APB wrote:

the best thing about all this imo is that you didn't get to blame Rodgers for the loss,

one breath you defend Love, the next your disappointed.

obviously there was plenty of blame to go around
You are trying to force this to be about blaming and defending. Maybe those are the lenses you view all criticism through, but I don't. It's possible to be critical of both the QB and the receivers. They both can have good and bad plays in a single game. One does not have to choose just one of them to blame or to defend.

I haven't tried to "blame" or "defend" anyone. It's a meaningless preseason game, I don't care at all about us losing it. I'm just looking at some plays and saying what I think about them. I don't have an anti-Love, anti-AR or anti-WR agenda. I'd like nothing more than ALL of them doing well, since I'm a Packers fan, not a fan of any single Packer above the team, nor am I a fan of my own opinions or pet topics.

And my comment wasn't aimed at you. There are several other posters who seem to enjoy nothing more than Love failing. I really don't like hoping a Packer fails, or celebrating when a Packer fails, so maybe I am inclined to defend Love a bit. I will still call a bad play by Love "a bad play by Love". If he wants me not to criticize him, he can play better and I won't.

Love had good plays and he had bad plays. His receivers had good and bad plays. I'm disappointed with Love, 'cause I expected more consistency and from him, and he made a few bad decisions. I'm very disappointed with my Here's Johnny pick Tyler Davis, too many bad snaps. Hopefully it was just 1st game jitters and he rebounds quick. I was impressed that Doubs kept looking promising with the lights and pads on, dude just looks good in that 87. The contested catch INT was a learning moment, no biggie (btw, a very good throw). It was nice to see Amari have a big return, still not sold on him as our slot. We may have something in Winfree. I think we can get by with this OL for a while, but certainly could use 2 Pro Bowlers back...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
13 Aug 2022 13:37
You are trying to force this to be about blaming and defending. Maybe those are the lenses you view all criticism through, but I don't. It's possible to be critical of both the QB and the receivers. They both can have good and bad plays in a single game. One does not have to choose just one of them to blame or to defend.

I haven't tried to "blame" or "defend" anyone. It's a meaningless preseason game, I don't care at all about us losing it. I'm just looking at some plays and saying what I think about them. I don't have an anti-Love, anti-AR or anti-WR agenda. I'd like nothing more than ALL of them doing well, since I'm a Packers fan, not a fan of any single Packer above the team, nor am I a fan of my own opinions or pet topics.

And my comment wasn't aimed at you. There are several other posters who seem to enjoy nothing more than Love failing. I really don't like hoping a Packer fails, or celebrating when a Packer fails, so maybe I am inclined to defend Love a bit. I will still call a bad play by Love "a bad play by Love". If he wants me not to criticize him, he can play better and I won't.

Love had good plays and he had bad plays. His receivers had good and bad plays. I'm disappointed with Love, 'cause I expected more consistency and from him, and he made a few bad decisions. I'm very disappointed with my Here's Johnny pick Tyler Davis, too many bad snaps. Hopefully it was just 1st game jitters and he rebounds quick. I was impressed that Doubs kept looking promising with the lights and pads on, dude just looks good in that 87. The contested catch INT was a learning moment, no biggie (btw, a very good throw). It was nice to see Amari have a big return, still not sold on him as our slot. We may have something in Winfree. I think we can get by with this OL for a while, but certainly could use 2 Pro Bowlers back...
I like this post :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
You are trying to force this to be about blaming and defending.
No, you don't get to toss this on me, your the one who blames me for defending players like Rodgers, or even Love, and now your accusing me a of being a player fan over a Packer fan, LOve is still inconsistent, and the play your describing concerning Davis was not even the one I was from the OP, so it was a simple miscommunication, big deal, Love still threw a highball that was tipped incomplete on the left side almost identical to the highball he threw to Winfree, I thought it was Davis, but who it was is irrelevant, it was still uncatchable, obviously as I said WR's and Goodson weren't blameless.

that doesn't mean Love wasn't wild and inconsistent.

funny how NO one wants to answer my question, if given the choice who would be the Packers back up QB, Lance or Love?

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Yoop wrote:
13 Aug 2022 14:30
salmar80 wrote:
No, you don't get to toss this on me, your the one who blames me for defending players like Rodgers, or even Love, and now your accusing me a of being a player fan over a Packer fan, LOve is still inconsistent, and the play your describing concerning Davis was not even the one I was from the OP, so it was a simple miscommunication, big deal, Love still threw a highball that was tipped incomplete on the left side almost identical to the highball he threw to Winfree, I thought it was Davis, but who it was is irrelevant, it was still uncatchable, obviously as I said WR's and Goodson weren't blameless.

funny how NO one wants to answer my question, if given the choice who would be the Packers back up QB, Lance or Love?
I hope they respond yoop. This exchange is top 5. Awesome.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Lance. 21-year old 3rd overall pick. Yeah, I'd take him over Love. Has more years on his rookie deal after AR retires.

Love was 26th overall pick, and hasn't given reason not go for the younger, waaaaaaay higher draft pick.

Can you image if we had had the 3rd overall pick in 2020 and had spent THAT on a QB. :rotf:

I didn't accuse you of anything, I described how I operate. It's may not be the best way, but that's how I do it.

And it seems we agree both Love and WRs have room to improve that game.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Lance

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
13 Aug 2022 14:55
Yoop wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Lance. 21-year old 3rd overall pick. Yeah, I'd take him over Love. Has more years on his rookie deal after AR retires.

Love was 26th overall pick, and hasn't given reason not go for the younger, waaaaaaay higher draft pick.

Can you image if we had had the 3rd overall pick in 2020 and had spent THAT on a QB. :rotf:

I didn't accuse you of anything, I described how I operate. It's may not be the best way, but that's how I do it.

I said there was plenty of blame to go around, but I'll stick with my assessment, Love was not accurate, he threw to many off target, so then you admit to seeing the ability difference between Love and Lance :thwap:

I can't imagine using the 26th pick on Love, let alone a 3rd when Rodgers still had so much game left, but thats besides the point, you come here and rag on me when I've been the guy with the open mind on Love, if I want to cretic him for his crap throws, I've also defended him for some of the good ones too

and I've been a Packer fan forever you bandwagon jerk, when this team declines I'll still be one as you jump to the next winning team with a great QB

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
13 Aug 2022 19:15
salmar80 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I said there was plenty of blame to go around, but I'll stick with my assessment, Love was not accurate, he threw to many off target, so then you admit to seeing the ability difference between Love and Lance :thwap:

I can't imagine using the 26th pick on Love, let alone a 3rd when Rodgers still had so much game left, but thats besides the point, you come here and rag on me when I've been the guy with the open mind on Love, if I want to cretic him for his crap throws, I've also defended him for some of the good ones too

and I've been a Packer fan forever you bandwagon jerk, when this team declines I'll still be one as you jump to the next winning team with a great QB
Hope you are feeling better today.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Yoop wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Yoop, why are you taking Salmar's response so personally? He did not insult you at all and yet you immediately insult him and make it personal. When you post an opinion rest assured that someone will disagree. It doesn't mean that they are attacking you personally.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

williewasgreat wrote:
14 Aug 2022 04:56
Yoop wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Yoop, why are you taking Salmar's response so personally? He did not insult you at all and yet you immediately insult him and make it personal. When you post an opinion rest assured that someone will disagree. It doesn't mean that they are attacking you personally.
I have tried explaining that for years in different words. I don’t get it either.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
14 Aug 2022 07:58
williewasgreat wrote:
14 Aug 2022 04:56
Yoop wrote:

I have tried explaining that for years in different words. I don’t get it either.
BS, what was his banner all about, of course I take it personal when someone calls me a players fan versus a Packer fan, and I'am never wrong, more horse manure, and according to me Rodgers is never at fault, pure crap, almost every loss is blamed on Rodgers, it's beyond pathetic

I make a honest mistake on a pick play, which I even corrected myself on, and blame Love for throwing high contestable balls and I'am being harsh on Love, he actually did toss some high and hard to catch passes, so thats basically accurate, same with throwing bullets into traffic, or that Rodgers interception, he wasn't under pressure on either, Love was inconsistent, he made some really nice plays, and then these others that weren't
I don't have a problem with people disagreeing, it's the way they disagree I take exception with

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Aug 2022 08:42
[almost every loss is blamed on Rodgers, it's beyond pathetic
Just because you say this over and over doesn’t make it any less false.