Black Monday - Coaching Changes

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Jan 2023 10:26
Scott4Pack wrote:
17 Jan 2023 10:24
Drj820 wrote:
16 Jan 2023 18:57
Rodgers makes his coaches

Payton made Bree’s

If not, why did he leave San Diego ?
Brees had plenty of talent in San Diego. And so many people knew it too. But the Chargers also had a guy named Rivers. That’s who the Chargers put their stock in.

Where Rivers had a strong arm and could throw every pattern, Brees had a precision that only a few QBs can match. That much was commonly accepted by a number of fans and coaches.
You make my point, brees was discarded for Phillip Rivers.
Didn't Brees play for Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego? Marty was a great coach. Pretty sure one of his Chargers teams beat New England in the playoffs one year. I wonder if/how Brees' career would have turned out had he stayed in San Diego?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Jan 2023 17:51
Ravens can OC Roman. If the bears were smart at all (they aren’t) they would can Getsy and hire Roman immediately. Roman made Lamar look like an nfl qb and built a glorious run game. Chicago should let him turn fields into a lamar, focus on running the ball, and rebuild that defense.
Did they fire him? I read somewhere he was stepping away from coaching for personal reasons.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
19 Jan 2023 17:57
Drj820 wrote:
19 Jan 2023 17:51
Ravens can OC Roman. If the bears were smart at all (they aren’t) they would can Getsy and hire Roman immediately. Roman made Lamar look like an nfl qb and built a glorious run game. Chicago should let him turn fields into a lamar, focus on running the ball, and rebuild that defense.
Did they fire him? I read somewhere he was stepping away from coaching for personal reasons.
They did it very respectfully. Called it “mutually parting ways”, in which the radio guys said that was the nice and respectful way to “fire him”.

Rumors are he and Lamar were at odds and this could help with contract negotiations, per mike Lombardi.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lmao just saw that Jeff Saturday has advanced to the 2nd round of interviews for the Colts HC job

:lol:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

texas wrote:
25 Jan 2023 14:12
lmao just saw that Jeff Saturday has advanced to the 2nd round of interviews for the Colts HC job

:rotf:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

texas wrote:

Did he get a first round bye?

But seriously, the guy laid down his skin for the team over many years. The Colts will give him every chance, whether he merits it or not.

I remember a team called Packers who did the same for Bart Starr, even tho he had zilch coaching experience. Also for Forrest Gregg. Both bombed in GB as coaches. But they were stellar players and the org gave them a chance.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Jan 2023 15:42
texas wrote:

But seriously, the guy laid down his skin for the team over many years. The Colts will give him every chance, whether he merits it or not.

I remember a team called Packers who did the same for Bart Starr, even tho he had zilch coaching experience. Also for Forrest Gregg. Both bombed in GB as coaches. But they were stellar players and the org gave them a chance.
Pretty sure you just outlined why NFL teams need to leave the nostalgia at the door and make decisions with their head, not their heart. :aok:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Jim Irsay is legitimately crazy, and it seems to affect his decisions running the Colts from time to time. He was the one that kicked off the Matt Rhule to the NFL circus. Now, you may say that it doesn't seem that crazy given that Matt Rhule was a hot candidate for many teams when he eventually chose to go to Carolina in 2020, but the thing is that Irsay decided to interview him after we went 1-11, in Rhule's first season.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
25 Jan 2023 16:27
Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Jan 2023 15:42
texas wrote:

Pretty sure you just outlined why NFL teams need to leave the nostalgia at the door and make decisions with their head, not their heart. :aok:
I didn’t quite go that far. But you. Make a good point. After the Dan Devine years, the Packers lacked discipline across the roster. In the hirings of Starr and Gregg, the team leadership hoped to restore some of that by bringing in the “Lombardi way” and restore success. Unfortunately, they neglected to look at other factors, including the overall talent level on the team.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Like the Rodgers-to-Jets rumors needed a boost…

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Looks like McCarthy is breaking up the band…

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
26 Jan 2023 11:49
Looks like McCarthy is breaking up the band…

A lot of changes for getting to the divisional round

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Panthers hiring Frank Reich as HC.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
26 Jan 2023 14:59
I don’t hate that hire, as far as retreads go. Reich had Irsay and his meddling as well as a GM who was convinced out-to-pasture QBs could be resurrected to deal with so I don’t place the Colts poor performance entirely on Reich.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Scott4Pack wrote:
26 Jan 2023 14:59
I always thought he was a decent coach. Probably deserved to get fired in Indianapolis, but probably deserved another shot eventually. I am sort of surprised that he got his 2nd chance immediately though. Not sure I would even want to go to Carolina.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Bisaccia getting 2nd interview with Colts.

1 of 5 I believe.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

If he gets away, can kiss this ass goodbye. 3 guys who used to be free agents now moving on. They better not lose anyone. Especially with Joe Barry* as a DC.

*0-16 Lions
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
29 Jan 2023 07:46
Bisaccia getting 2nd interview with Colts.

1 of 5 I believe.
Normally I would not care, but Irsay is just dumb enough to possibly hire him.

Read More. Post Less.