Week 1 Post-Game: Packers 38 Bears 20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
10 Sep 2023 21:55
Anyone have drop numbers? There were a few. Want to see how that affects Love's numbers.
The three that pop in my head is AJ Dillon's dropped screen, Aaron Jones dropped screen/TD, and Jayden Reed's chest bounce.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Boss

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
11 Sep 2023 08:39
paco wrote:
10 Sep 2023 21:55
Anyone have drop numbers? There were a few. Want to see how that affects Love's numbers.
The three that pop in my head is AJ Dillon's dropped screen, Aaron Jones dropped screen/TD, and Jayden Reed's chest bounce.
so then it's safe to say, NO KD Toney awards for us :rotf:
Last edited by Yoop on 11 Sep 2023 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Guys this is important.

In preseason, people went NUTS about Love missing the crosser to Musgrave. Small sample sizes had people over-weighting every play. Careful evaluation showed that Love was using his feet and head to move the LB and open the window, then basically no-looking the throw. It missed. In preseason when it doesn't count.

He missed the throw in the preseason. But he hit it (albeit imperfectly) yesterday to Reed.

Same exact route and LB manipulation. Preseason was him practicing something he'd been working on. Regular season was him improving on the concept for a key completion

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Sep 2023 09:07
Guys this is important.

In preseason, people went NUTS about Love missing the crosser to Musgrave. Small sample sizes had people over-weighting every play. Careful evaluation showed that Love was using his feet and head to move the LB and open the window, then basically no-looking the throw. It missed. In preseason when it doesn't count.

He missed the throw in the preseason. But he hit it (albeit imperfectly) yesterday to Reed.

Same exact route and LB manipulation. Preseason was him practicing something he'd been working on. Regular season was him improving on the concept for a key completion
great catch by you, and Reed :) Love imo had a great game, off a bit on a couple throws, he was cool hand Luke all night though, even when the rush was starting to come free he didn't panic, and a few of his tight window throws where perfect.

Love played up to my expectations, I had a feeling we would trounce the Bears and we did, happy with all facets of our team at this point.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

:rotf:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Jordan Love gotta be NFC Offensive player of the week this week? Right?

Anyone else even in that convo?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:22

some of the niners balled out
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

everyone seemed to think Love would be different then AR, I see basically the same player, never made sense to me that he would be different, we also took the play clock under 5 clicks on almost every pass play, imo Lafleur is running almost exactly the same schemes with Love as he did Rodgers.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

some of the niners balled out
Did just remember McCaffrey.

Kind of funny, I'd maybe peg 3 and 4 being Aaron Jones and Aiyuk, lol.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Yoop wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:25
everyone seemed to think Love would be different then AR, I see basically the same player, never made sense to me that he would be different, we also took the play clock under 5 clicks on almost every pass play, imo Lafleur is running almost exactly the same schemes with Love as he did Rodgers.
It's been my thought for a while that taking the play clock down was a result of MLF's philosophy, the youth we've had and recent injuries the past couple season at play making positions, and then AR's strengths.

I swear I heard MLF say he wants to run effective plays, not a lot of plays a couple years ago. Get the ball back on defense and then use time and methodically move the ball and limit the number of plays. and though Rodgers is one of the best ever to diagnose a defense on the field as it's happening, I think he'd have rather run more plays not less. I think taking it down to 1 was him running MLF's scheme, not him going rogue and running Rodgers ball as so many have allulded to over the past few seasons.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Every QB in the league gets the vast majority of passes off in under 5 seconds. 5 seconds is an eternity and the normal time to throw is around 2.5-3 seconds.

We definitely saw an attempt at something we would NEVER have done with Aaron Rodgers. The true option play, that got stuffed, was doing something outside of what we would see with Rodgers. Other than that we didn't see any hero ball, but it is early and a small sample size in a game that got out of hand. So, we shall see.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-miss-p ... o-musgrave

Musgrave did it on the other play where he was overshot. Not sure why he is in the habit of turning around and not catching over the shoulder. It isn't like he is sitting down in a zone with a safety over the top. He had the sideline the entire time there.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:30
Yoop wrote:
It's been my thought for a while that taking the play clock down was a result of MLF's philosophy, the youth we've had and recent injuries the past couple season at play making positions, and then AR's strengths.

I swear I heard MLF say he wants to run effective plays, not a lot of plays a couple years ago. Get the ball back on defense and then use time and methodically move the ball and limit the number of plays. and though Rodgers is one of the best ever to diagnose a defense on the field as it's happening, I think he'd have rather run more plays not less. I think taking it down to 1 was him running MLF's scheme, not him going rogue and running Rodgers ball as so many have allulded to over the past few seasons.
same here, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages using up most of the play clock, specially when ya have a lead, I couldn't tell if I was watching Love or Rodgers last night.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:32
Every QB in the league gets the vast majority of passes off in under 5 seconds. 5 seconds is an eternity and the normal time to throw is around 2.5-3 seconds.

We definitely saw an attempt at something we would NEVER have done with Aaron Rodgers. The true option play, that got stuffed, was doing something outside of what we would see with Rodgers. Other than that we didn't see any hero ball, but it is early and a small sample size in a game that got out of hand. So, we shall see.

Musgrave did it on the other play where he was overshot. Not sure why he is in the habit of turning around and not catching over the shoulder. It isn't like he is sitting down in a zone with a safety over the top. He had the sideline the entire time there.
over shot???? the ball was under thrown for one, and he turned around because Love dropped the ball and he had no idea what Love was going to do with it, he simply got his feet tangled when turning around.

I don't have all 22 or a camera view but I expect he didn't turn around till after Love dropped the ball :idn:

Love was at fault on that play for the reason it didn't become a TD imho.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
we also took the play clock under 5 clicks on almost every pass play, imo Lafleur is running almost exactly the same schemes with Love as he did Rodgers.
I don't know if this game is much of a barometer to gauge whether or not it's MLF and his preferences. The Packers were playing with a lead the entire game, and a quite sizeable one in the second half. Of course the QB is gonna use every bit of the play clock to his advantage.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:45
Pckfn23 wrote:

over shot???? the ball was under thrown for one, and he turned around because Love dropped the ball and he had no idea what Love was going to do with it, he simply got his feet tangled when turning around.

I don't have all 22 or a camera view but I expect he didn't turn around till after Love dropped the ball :idn:

Yes, the other play it sailed over Musgrave's head when he turned wrong. Overshot.

Of course Musgrave turned around after Love dropped the snap... he dropped the snap...

Hard to tell what would have happened if Musgrave kept running up the sideline.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:45
Pckfn23 wrote:

Under thrown...?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah Musgrave was pulling a Jeff Janis yesterday by needing to turn around.

Not an instinctual thing we like to see at all. At least you could tell in his face that what he did on that play was stupid, even after he caught it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:46
Yoop wrote:
we also took the play clock under 5 clicks on almost every pass play, imo Lafleur is running almost exactly the same schemes with Love as he did Rodgers.
I don't know if this game is much of a barometer to gauge whether or not it's MLF and his preferences. The Packers were playing with a lead the entire game, and a quite sizeable one in the second half. Of course the QB is gonna use every bit of the play clock to his advantage.
we will always do this with Lafleur, because he brought that here, every coach in that Shanahan tree do it, I tried to tell ya this 2 years ago when everyone complained (foolishly that it gave the advantage to the pass rusher) BSA and I think several others cleared that up.

please explain to me how using less play clock translates to more efficient offense, the play clock has absolutely nothing to do with Game clock, so the time a offense uses on the play clock will be no different in either situation.